or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Gates the thief

Gates the thief

post #1 of 86
Does this man have no standards:

This looks just like a Cube with a 17 inch wide screen display and the OSX default background. The man is so unoriginal it is embarrasing. And he is stealing concepts that are 3 years old!

I guess imitation is the highest form of flatery- but come on. This is getting ridiculous.
post #2 of 86
dang, not only is that a copy of the os x default background, but it almost looks like a silver apple on the top of the lcd screen....

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #3 of 86
From other pictures it looks like an AIO, the drives and such are in the screen, side loaded, like all those iMac FP concepts of 2 years back. I'm not sure that cube is part of the computer at all.

Either way, it's nice, I love the arm that holds the camera. Actually, if everything is in the display, then I prefer that to the iMac's dome. Yeah, yeah, disc speeds, blah blah. Modern clamping mechanism make that moot. And the large flat machine has packaging advantages. The back could fit a fairly standard MoBo and lay all important, replaceable industry standard graphics cards at 180 degree angle behind the LCD and beside the mobo. Same with an easily accessible CPU/mobo combo. It could become a new form factor, like ATX, but flat, no cards, just RAM, GFX, and CPU slots/sockets. Nice.

I particularly like the little arms that hold a teleconferencing camera and what looks like a phone or remote. Nice.

It even has a smaller footprint than the iMac when viewed from the side. Nice.

Derivative AIO? AIO's aren't especially nice, but if MS addresses the expansion/upgrability issues of the format, this might be the future. Some sort of industry standard format built around a flat screen AIO? I like that better than a hermetically sealed iMac.

They'll probably just keep making towers, and who can blame them. They're a much better format than current AIO's (including the iMac)
IBL!
IBL!
post #4 of 86
No that is the computer (the Cube)- but what really gets me is this is a concept machine that is ripped off of a 3 year old Apple product!

Now good may be good so I can excuse the wide screen and small cube like machine. But the blue desktop- thats just a blatant rip off. Get a different color at least!

OH and if you read the article at yahoo. They tout the great idea of USB ports in the display! WOW what a novel idea.
post #5 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by salmonstk
Does this man have no standards:

With the camera and remote hanging on the side like that, it looks like something from Short Circuit.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #6 of 86
all that junk hanging off the screen looks like crud. overall look has a "hi I'm a wal mart product but i swear i'm just as good as the one you can buy at Nordstrom" type of product feel to it.

freedom to innvovate my a##

shame on them.
post #7 of 86
The computer was built by HP. It is amazing. listen to this. If you're listening to music and the internet phone rings, the music mutes when you pick up the receiver. What a breakthrough! Also any imporant email will cause the area around the screen to
"light up". Wow!

Go to this AP article.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #8 of 86
The email notification is a good idea, as is the phone/music volume management. Not original in the latter case, but good. Especially the former, in the case of deaf people, the little chimes for email notification go undetected. Flashing the screen is more than a little obtrusive, flashing the area around the bezel is a nice comprimise.

Half of you would be creaming yourselves if Apple made this exact same machine, and excuse the derivative stuff as just another nice little integration. So there it is, it's not from Apple, get over it. They'll probably never build it anyway. Ironically enough, I liked it better when I thought it was an AIO, since they put the optical in the display anyway, shoulda just put the whole computer in there.
IBL!
IBL!
post #9 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
The computer was built by HP. It is amazing. listen to this. If you're listening to music and the internet phone rings, the music mutes when you pick up the receiver. What a breakthrough! Also any imporant email will cause the area around the screen to
"light up". Wow!

Go to this AP article.

And soon spammers will figure out how to make the screen light up, and you'll have an expensive light show.
JLL

JLL

post #10 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
Half of you would be creaming yourselves if Apple made this exact same machine, and excuse the derivative stuff as just another nice little integration.

It would certainly not look like that if Apple made - it's fugly.

The keyboard looks like it came from the 70s.
JLL

JLL

post #11 of 86
Quote:

Half of you would be creaming yourselves if Apple made this exact same machine, and excuse the derivative stuff as just another nice little integration. So there it is, it's not from Apple, get over it. They'll probably never build it anyway. Ironically enough, I liked it better when I thought it was an AIO, since they put the optical in the display anyway, shoulda just put the whole computer in there.

No one is criticizing! Thats the point- Apple did create this machine. 3 YEARS ago!

Oh and they have not created this machine- its a concept. Years away from shipping if at all.
post #12 of 86
Is that Jobs in the little window on the screen?
Whatever it is, it ain't rocket science
post #13 of 86
The machine is not ugly, and Apple has not created it yet, nor did they create it 3 years ago. However, if it is not an AIO, then it seems kinda dumb to put the optical up in the bezel like that.

The keyboard OTOH is very ugly, I'll give you that.
IBL!
IBL!
post #14 of 86
Quote:
"It's more than just slamming things together," said Steve Kaneko, design director of Microsoft's Windows Hardware Experience Group.

The why the hell does it look like they just slammed things together?
JLL

JLL

post #15 of 86
Quote:
The machine is not ugly, and Apple has not created it yet, nor did they create it 3 years ago. However, if it is not an AIO, then it seems kinda dumb to put the optical up in the bezel like that.

Having a phone and a camera hanging on the side on those arms are not the most elegant design!
JLL

JLL

post #16 of 86
Sure looks like a Cube with a CinemaDisplay to me. Yes, I'd say Apple did create it 3 years ago.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #17 of 86

This thing stinks. What is the problem with these manufacturers. Why can't they design something that looks half decent. It has bits sticking out all over the joint. All it takes is for a company to stick their neck out a few mm's from their shells and take a small risk on some up and coming designer. Instead we get design by committee again

Oh well. My year old iMac still looks fresh and years ahead. Perhaps theyshould have just bought the cube design off Apple and make a decent job of it.
post #18 of 86
Everything looks like a derivative Apple knock-off, right down to the original Mac keyboard. [edit: looks more like the Mac keyboard than the old Apple ][ don't it?]

PS: The form seems OK enough, though the appendages at the monitor sides could be handled more elegantly -- and of course the keyboard. The materials on the other hand (or maybe just the lighting) look rather poor. Acutally, the lights don't seem as subtle and elegant as Apple's stuff (aside form the light-up e-mail notification, which is another matter altogether). I can tell from here it doesn't have the detail that Macs do. But I wouldn't croak if PC users used this instead of black Dell whales.
post #19 of 86
Quote:

Ah, the monitor looks like the 17" widescreen, even has a chrome small centered logo, the desktop pic looks like OSX's default, and the small square-ish computer slightly resembles the cube.

Now what part of this thread did you miss?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #20 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by Overhope
Is that Jobs in the little window on the screen?

Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte
post #21 of 86
It's fine the HP/Microsoft are just getting around to ripping of Apple's style. Within the next few months Apple will release the PMs with a new form factor that will make the Athens prototype look simply gay in comparison. We'll see what the media will say when Apple re-invents the wheel this summer.
post #22 of 86
He's fat.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #23 of 86
there is another thread about this that I started, that actually links to the articles and includes other pics of these machines.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=24346
I too, have the ability to kill a yak at 200 yards... with mind bullets!
post #24 of 86
I don't see any Apple AIO's or cubes in their history that had the optical mounted on the side of the display like that. In other pics, it looks like one of those slate like AIO's everyone was predicting before the iMac. If it could be done as an AIO, it would take up even less space that an iMac, while offering a nice FP display. Even if there's a cube, Apple did't make a cube plus LCD offering integrated in that way before.

And if it derives from an Apple design language, and is very clean, apart from the keyboard and little arms, then it can't also be ugly. If Apple made this exact same machine for sale today, even having had the sunflower iMac, the flovk would quickly champion the advantages of this design, or the superiority of this aesthetic.

Fact is we've seen a thousand protypes like this and you've all loved them when you thought they were going to macs, now it's what could easily be a very nice looking PC (just needs to be cleaned up a bit) and you're all critics. please
IBL!
IBL!
post #25 of 86
Quote:
I don't see any Apple AIO's or cubes in their history that had the optical mounted on the side of the display like that.

Oh, it doesn't look like a Cube and an Apple display because of a webcam on an ugly arm?

Quote:
And if it derives from an Apple design language, and is very clean, apart from the keyboard and little arms, then it can't also be ugly.

Yes it can. Because of the arms. Because of the keyboard.

Quote:
If Apple made this exact same machine for sale today, even having had the sunflower iMac, the flovk would quickly champion the advantages of this design, or the superiority of this aesthetic.

JLL

JLL

post #26 of 86
All details that can easily be cleaned up for production. The overall form is clean enough.

When originally saw it, i thought it was an aio -- from a side shot -- if it were, that would make it like those "glomed on the back" concepts we were all proposing way back, except it would actually be quite thin for a machine that has all guts in the screen. Functional and nice, with almost no footprint.

For some reason there's a cube in the pic that doesn't hold the optical or ports. If that's a part of it, then you gotta scratch your head a bit, unless modular computing is also part of the concept (hi Amorph). If the whole machine were just thje display, I would say it even has advantages over the iMac design, in terms of space efficiency.

IN this pic:

...it looks like an AIO, no cube in sight, drive on the side. If they built it that way, quite a few peope would have reason to prefer it to an iMac. Even less clutter, and the arms look like they can be easily removed, though they are very functional in terms of freeing desk space. I wouldn't have the other side hold a phone/remote though, just a heavy duty paper clip, mebbe clean them up a bit. Looks more than good enough. It's clear no one has legitmate critiques other than, "it's not Apple."
IBL!
IBL!
post #27 of 86
I really pity these folks over at redmond.
Why can't they at least admit that the last "innovation" they made was their name.

G-News
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #28 of 86
Yeah I'm with Matsu if that thing was running Jaguar or Panther, I would be dying for it. No doubt in my mind. But I have to agree that I don't care for the arms though.
post #29 of 86
That big fat umbilical (no way is that power only) must go somewhere...
post #30 of 86
Quote:
All details that can easily be cleaned up for production. The overall form is clean enough.

When originally saw it, i thought it was an aio -- from a side shot -- if it were, that would make it like those "glomed on the back" concepts we were all proposing way back, except it would actually be quite thin for a machine that has all guts in the screen. Functional and nice, with almost no footprint.

For some reason there's a cube in the pic that doesn't hold the optical or ports. If that's a part of it, then you gotta scratch your head a bit, unless modular computing is also part of the concept (hi Amorph). If the whole machine were just thje display, I would say it even has advantages over the iMac design, in terms of space efficiency.

IN this pic:

...it looks like an AIO, no cube in sight, drive on the side. If they built it that way, quite a few peope would have reason to prefer it to an iMac. Even less clutter, and the arms look like they can be easily removed, though they are very functional in terms of freeing desk space. I wouldn't have the other side hold a phone/remote though, just a heavy duty paper clip, mebbe clean them up a bit. Looks more than good enough. It's clear no one has legitmate critiques other than, "it's not Apple."

Ok, true to most except the widescreen aspect and curvy lines on the blue background desktop pic. That's an Apple thing there, so the copying issue still stands.
post #31 of 86
and this is in Future Apple Hardware why?
I'm making plastics right now!
I'm making plastics right now!
post #32 of 86
Bodhi, I think this thread has always been in GD, hasn't it?
post #33 of 86
Nope, it started out in FH. Although it had company over there.
post #34 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitzer
That big fat umbilical (no way is that power only) must go somewhere...

My guess is that it contains Data and Power cables... but you'd think it would be WiFi.

Perhaps it is a huge 220v power cable to feed the Star Trek like blinking lights that seem to be all over it. email screen, power ports and the plethora of obligatory PC stylin' LEDs

And as far as form-factor... it has to sit on something... May as well be an iMac style base that lets you rotate the monitor as needed. You could then embed the camera optics in the panel and still be able to direct or point it somewhere specific.

Not a total loss... but as a prototype for the future PC it could be 'more innovative'

Lastly, of late PC makers are moving toward original, non form-factor (read ATX, etc) type machines. These can be costly compared to current off-the-shelf machines. Without garage boxes PCs will begin to lose some price adavntage over Macs because they will need significantly more R&D and standard architecture get lost in favor of end design. Maybe Apple has some history on this... naaaahhhh

Just a thought...
post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by zaz
My guess is that it contains Data and Power cables... but you'd think it would be WiFi.

It's an ADC cable - sorry - MSDC cable
JLL

JLL

post #36 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
It's an ADC cable - sorry - MSDC cable

haha exactly MS will com out with MSDC and get praise for being innovative and the first to do this
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #37 of 86
Another Microsoft innovation:

From this link.
post #38 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by sc_markt
Another Microsoft innovation:

From this link.

WOW!! Transparent windows? I wish Apple could make something like that!!

(looks at Terminal window) Oh!

Edit: When Apple demonstrated QE they showed how easy 2D and 3D could be composited which actually makes it useful to some apps. MS shows this:

Quote:
When moved across the screen, windows would visually "shutter" across the screen, bending under the speed of the movement, like a flag billowing in a breeze.

JLL

JLL

post #39 of 86
I'm sure people are going to instantly fall in love with that feature, as they did with the Windows Xp interface, and, will instantly disable it - as they did with the Win XP interface.

Way to go, Billyboy
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #40 of 86
I saw that new mac-like computer today and then saw the picture of the transparent window in XP and I realized that XP lovers should be thanking Apple for many of the goodies they enjoy.

This got me to wondering if anybody knows where I could find some webiste that lists all the innovations microsoft has copied from Apple since day one?

(I wonder if Apple had named it's new NeXT based OS, OS Z, would microsoft XP be ZP?)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Gates the thief