or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prognog or Eggnog? ATAT's "visions"

Prognog or Eggnog? ATAT's "visions"

post #1 of 44
ATAT's latest prognostication seems a little bit like a controlled leak from Apple to damage control hype about G5's...

[quote] So here's what the crystal revealed: as we suspected, the PowerPC G5 won't be making an appearance (not for another six months, anyway), and instead, we'll get faster Power Mac G4s starting at 933 MHz and punching well past the gigahertz barrier. The long-awaited flat-panel iMac is a definite go, though the specs are fuzzy-- although we do see the nearly-as-long-awaited "iPhoto" consumer image-editing app coming along for the ride, and it looks to be sort of like Mac OS X's "Image Capture" application on steroids and dipped in a pretty iCandy coating. Speaking of Mac OS X, there was a definite vibe that January 7th would constitute the official switchover; as of that date, upon first boot, owners of all new Macs will be greeted with the pleasing contours of Aqua. As for an iBook revision to keep things on par with the new iMac, the crystal says no, but hints at an update in Tokyo. All in all, vague but satisfying.
<hr></blockquote>

Is ATAT still getting those S.J. emails periodically? I love the Twin Peaks-like visions (all we need are a few backwards talking dwarfs)... but are ATAT always going to be on the ball? Could it be misdirection for actually releasing G5's? Mind you, I remember hearing that a case change wasn't expected unitl MWNY 02 for the Powermac anyway... and if Quicksilver is staying as is, maybe the G5 wont be around until the summer...

ps. I thought Phil had said OS X was green for go (main sys boot) this spring... Will these new iMacs have enough horsepower to move the GUI around if they boot in X?

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: pathogen ]</p>
post #2 of 44
I would say that sounds absolutely on the button. ATAT is usually pretty accurate on these things.
post #3 of 44
I wouldn't bet against them.
post #4 of 44
I get groovy visions all the time, although none of them are based on our reality. However, I'm in Tune with ATaT, and take their word as gospel. Someone's feeding them good dope (metaphorically, of course), which explains their excellent track record.

So no G5 for a while. Bummer.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #5 of 44
The PM towers WILL be G4's topping out at 1.2 ghz.

So sayeth....so shall it be!
post #6 of 44
I think ATAT has been pretty rock solid on these things, and is a whole lot more realistic that other things floated here.. I'd be delighted with all the stuff they've mentioned..
post #7 of 44
"I'd be delighted with all the stuff they've mentioned.. "

Likewise!
post #8 of 44
I do believe we have just received the larger part of Mr. Jobs' keynote script. AtAT is very reliable.

I wonder if the "revolutionary" device really is the new iMac, as AtAT thinks.

1GHz+ Power Macs and LCD iMacs are nice, but combined they don't seem enough to justify Apple's gutsy attitude: "We're moving back the keynote, extending it, and trust us, it'll be worth it."

Is there something else? Or is Apple setting itself up for another colossal letdown?
post #9 of 44
The iMacs should be able to push aroud X.2 ( should be faster), running near G3 1ghz, also maybe the new iMacs will impelment something from Raycer to help with Quartz.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #10 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by iconmaster:
<strong> I wonder if the "revolutionary" device really is the new iMac, as AtAT thinks.

1GHz+ Power Macs and LCD iMacs are nice, but combined they don't seem enough to justify Apple's gutsy attitude: "We're moving back the keynote, extending it, and trust us, it'll be worth it." </strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple doesn't have that attitude.

As for the "revolutionary" device, I'd agree that it is the iMac. Why? AtAT said that the specs in the new machine are hazy. Therefore, there is extra (even by Apple standards) security on it.

At least they don't mention the new G4s being called G5s. That'd be a catastrope.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #11 of 44
Actually, AtAt's predictions for MWNY sucked cheese. But then, so did most everyone's.

These predictions are in line with the current conservative consensus (hmmm...a lot of alliteration there). Much as I'd like to believe our own applenut, I think the star of SF will be the new iMac and, while the PM line gets a little beefier, it will continue with G4s for now.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
post #12 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by Michael Grey:
<strong>Actually, AtAt's predictions for MWNY sucked cheese.</strong><hr></blockquote>Is "sucked cheese" a euphemism for "accurate?"

They were the only ones who predicted the exact Mhz of the PowerMacs, and they also predicted no iMac II.
post #13 of 44
Well whatever happens, I can say this. If all that happens at this extended early keynote is 1.2 GHZ G4's and new iMacs I am going to be pissed.

1.2GHZ? That is a ****ing joke. That will still be a 1GHZ speed gap. No better....not at all. I know the PPC is a superior architecture but Apple needs to get rid of the speed gap right freakin now. Or at least one hell of a lot closer. They better at least meet the Athalon in terms of speed. 933MHZ....WTF ever!!!!

I still say G5. If they release G4's they better damn well be faster than all hell. I have a lot of respect for ATAT but this prediction better not be true or I am going to start throwing things. I say that as someone who is going to buy a desktop. But I won't buy a 1.2 GHZ G4 at the top end....no way.

Guess my wife is getting an ibook after tokyo after all. I'll wait until Apple actually matches their superior looks and feel with superior hardware performance.

SHIT!

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #14 of 44
Yeah, I'd probably break something close to me at the time I heard what came out if those do.

G5 at MWSF 2002. I know.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #15 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by pathogen:
<strong>ATAT's latest prognostication seems a little bit like a controlled leak from Apple to damage control hype about G5's...

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: pathogen ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

What? You trying to kill me or something? No G5?
feh I say, I say 'feh'

This is truly sad news ... yet it a least confirms that it was a security issue why the expo was moved up, this new boffo product being the cause ... and sadly, likely nothing to do with G5's ...

... well we don't know yet, but I'm going from a 60% likely down to 30% ...

Let's just hope we don't have to wait for 10.2 before we get G5's, cause that's not happening until "summer" now, Summer meaning - what - Sept 21st?

Did I say 'feh'?
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
post #16 of 44
geez... you huys get really worked up over stuff like this, huh?
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #17 of 44
Every upcoming Macworld, it's the same thing.... lots of people posting "If the new Powermacs aren't twice as fast as the last ones, I'm gonna KILL somebody."

Apple has NEVER doubled the speed of the Powermac in one single swoop, at least not in so long that I can't remember it. We absolutely are not going to see a 1.6ghz G4, and I'll be really surprised if we see something called a G5. And if we DO see something called a G5, it will be quickly revealed that these are next-gen G4s re-named for marketing purposes.

If you guys (some of you) can't be pleased about a souped-up next-gen G4 with DDR ram, speeds like 933 up through 1.2ghz, then prepare to be disappointed.

Just because you WANT something to happen, doesn't mean it will. There were people on theitquestion.com forums who thought Ginger was going to be a device for time travel or levitation or cold fusion. Right before Ginger was revealed, there were people saying "If this is just a freakin' scooter I'm gonna KILL somebody!"
post #18 of 44
So the typical post-keyonte doldrums have already set in for some. Aren't we used to this by now? well, in any case, ATAT's "dreams" are quite reasonable, and those who put too much faith in wild fantasies are the only ones who will feel "betrayed."

iPictures could be the extra something. Whatever the new iMac is, it won't just be an LCD and new form. There will be one more thing about it -- perhaps it's this little app. ATAT's description of iPics is right on the money too. So now we just have to wait for those who wanted PS Elements (all $100 of it) in a free Apple wrapping. Then again, there may be some aspect of the new imacs that ties into the iPod and possible future devices (and existing third party ones to a more limited extent).

I wouldn't be surprised if they started talking about new perks (dare I call them features?) coming for future OS X releases.
post #19 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:
<strong>So the typical post-keyonte doldrums have already set in for some. Aren't we used to this by now? well, in any case, ATAT's "dreams" are quite reasonable, and those who put too much faith in wild fantasies are the only ones who will feel "betrayed."
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly.

I'd love for Apple to introduce a G5 come MWSF. But in the end, it doesn't really matter that much to me, as I'm not in the market for a new computer. So what if we don't get a G5 in three weeks? Is Apple going to go out of business? Is Apple's marketshare going to drop to 1%?

No.

The G5s will be here, when they are done. Apple doesn't want to repeat the fiasco of the original G4s.
post #20 of 44
Every upcoming Macworld, it's the same thing.... lots of people posting "If the new Powermacs aren't twice as fast as the last ones, I'm gonna KILL somebody." Yet here we still are, 2001 almost over, Steve Jobs said "We'll close the MHz gap in 2001" yet as things stand, without a G5, even if all goes well, we're going to - at best - be half the MHz of Intel: not exactly a big improvement over the less-than-half we're at now. Sorry if some of us find it difficult not to expect more.

Apple has NEVER doubled the speed of the Powermac in one single swoop, at least not in so long that I can't remember it. Yet if we do math, and we take Mr. Jobs at his word ... doubling the speed in one fell swoop is pretty much what he'd have to do just to keep that promise: because if Moto merely moves ahead at even a normal pace - we'll be "half-way-there, forever", which BTW, should probably become Moto's new slogan.

And every MacWorld it's the same; people waiting for the big announcement that finally, we're on our way again ... and every time the "told-you-so's" enjoy a smile a their expense ...

... forgetting that given the current situation -"half-way-there, forever" is nothing to smile about.
post #21 of 44
Way to ruin the party, ATAT! Buzzkill! I suppose we should really blame Steve for bringing salami, as usual. He's just so practical. Doesn't really think different like the in-crowd in these forums.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #22 of 44
It's unreasonable to think that you will ever get such a big jump in the same chip. Now, the G5 on the other hand just might not only scale much faster, but start off significantly faster. We shall see.
post #23 of 44
I have been the biggest advocate for both a G5 release and an iMac release. I have been going on my gut instinct for quite some time, and I don't think that I am wrong.

Is the G5 coming out?? I think so, I wouldn't bet the farm, but I still think so.

Is the new LCD iMac coming out?? Absolutly. I don't think there are any doubts on that one.

Is the iMac going to be a G4?? You see, for me this is the real kicker. I honestly think that they are going to put a G4 in that machine. Will it compete with the Tower?? Nope, and here is why. The Tower has expandability and DDR RAM (if the rumor mills are true). The iMac will not have the expandability that the Tower has nor will it have DDR RAM. Those points alone, they could make a serious enough gap to distinguis the two machines apart. Remember, the iMac orginally had a G3 at the same time the B&W Tower had a G3. Then I think 6 - 12 months later the G4 came out. Coincidence?? I don't think so.

Just my gut feeling. Do with it as you will.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #24 of 44
If AtAT is right at the speed....

Selling 1.2Ghz G4 PowerMac at $3400 US is going to be the biggest fu*king joke ever from Apple
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #25 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis:
<strong>If AtAT is right at the speed....

Selling 1.2Ghz G4 PowerMac at $3400 US is going to be the biggest fu*king joke ever from Apple </strong><hr></blockquote>

How do you know it won't be a dual processor?

I wish everyone would quit bitching until AFTER the keynote. No matter what Apple releases people will complain.
I think having a 1.2 GHZ G4 is wonderful. We'll finally break the GHZ barrier.

I'm not expecting anything over 1.2 and you know what, that means I most likely won't be disappointed at MacWorld. Everyone else with such high hopes is going to have them smashed.
If Apple does release a G5 or go over 1.2 then I'll be all the more happier.
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #26 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:
<strong>

We'll finally break the GHZ barrier.

Two years behind everyone else ... and oddly enough, we're still at half the MHz of Intel.

At this rate, we'll be half way there, forever.

After a certain point, patience is no longer a virtue; we've given Moto two years of it - and they still haven't moved out of the basement and gotten a real job.

If there's one company that could use Steve Jobs as a CEO, it's Motorola.
post #27 of 44
Enter the 36 chambers.......
post #28 of 44
Leonis, all you seem to do lately is complain.
post #29 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by The Rootwitch:
<strong>Leonis, all you seem to do lately is complain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well....when you keep seeing those sub 2000 Athlon and P4 PCs smoke the $3500 Power Mac by almost 150% then you will see why I am complaining.

The case will be worse if Apple can only deliver 1.2Ghz or lower G4 as the top machine while selling at that same crazy price tag. I can perdict many people will be forced to switch.

Even there are killer apps for Mac if the hardware can't handle that's total BS

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #30 of 44
[quote]Well....when you keep seeing those sub 2000 Athlon and P4 PCs smoke the $3500 Power Mac by almost 150% then you will see why I am complaining.

The case will be worse if Apple can only deliver 1.2Ghz or lower G4 as the top machine while selling at that same crazy price tag. I can perdict many people will be forced to switch.

Even there are killer apps for Mac if the hardware can't handle that's total BS<hr></blockquote>
Damn right. MWSF determines whether or not I become a 2-OS business.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: cowerd ]</p>
four more beers, four more beers
four more beers, four more beers
post #31 of 44
I am already in the 2 OSes business.....the ratio of time I spend on the Mac and PC is now 50/50

If nothing happens in MWSF...I guess by summer time I will have to use PC more than the Mac.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #32 of 44
Yes, AtAt got the speeds right at New York, but they waited until just before the Expo when there was a lot more info to go on. Even as close as a week before they were riding the fence on PowerMacs. On iMacs they went so far as to say:

[quote]...we're still expecting a new iMac...we think we've pieced together that next week's consumer desktop will simply be the same old CRT-based model with faster G3 processors...Let's say 700 or 750 MHz, then...DVD/CD-RW combo drives available in some configurations, and new colors. <hr></blockquote>

Wrong speed, no combo drive and no new colors = sucked cheese.

Yea, hours before the Expo they updated their iMac description to match what ThinkSecret was saying.

I love AtAt but it's hardly an 'inside-info' kinda site. It's more of a 'point their finger and laugh' kinda site.
post #33 of 44
Even with that "incorrect" prediction, they were helluva lot closer than everyone who was screaming LCD iMac.

Besides, how incorrect were they?

They predicted 700 or 750Mhz.
They predicted new colors.
They pridicted combo drives.

Speed was correct. Colors did change (although technically not new) Combo drives didn't happen.

So they batted .500 on that one. I don't think anyone else came even that close.
post #34 of 44
I never read ATAT for the rumors (they are few and far between anyway). I read it for Jack's amazing wit and story telling. I also get some new information that I might have missed on Macsurfer.com

I don't think I've ever loaded their page and not had a good laugh (excluding 9/11 of course). Besides, if it weren't for ATAT I may never have heard of "Monkey Ballmer" hehehe

I love those guys.
post #35 of 44
Anyone remember that Apple leak back in '99?

"We will begin shipping systems based on the G4 processor in summer of 2000."

Hmm... obviously Steve wanted to shock everyone with the PowerMac G4, and he will no doubt want to do the same with the G5.
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
"We're not gonna stop."
- Steve Jobs
post #36 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:
<strong>Every upcoming Macworld, it's the same thing.... lots of people posting "If the new Powermacs aren't twice as fast as the last ones, I'm gonna KILL somebody."

Apple has NEVER doubled the speed of the Powermac in one single swoop.....

If you guys (some of you) can't be pleased about a souped-up next-gen G4 with DDR ram, speeds like 933 up through 1.2ghz, then prepare to be disappointed....

You know what? That is total BULLSHIT!!
Apple has been behind the curve for two ****ing years. I have been the biggest apologist and biggest supporter of the platform.....(I love Macs no matter what) BUT, Apple charging the prices they do for what they have is totally ****ing insane!!!!!

How the hell can they NOT have DDR and ATA 133 already? You mean to tell me I'm supposed to be happy with Apple coming out with stuff that all high end PC's have, a year (or more) BEHIND everyone else, and charging twice as much for it?? WTF??? I'm supposed to be happy that their clock speeds are ONE GIGAHERTZ behind the competition when they charge $3499 for that computer...without a monitor?

I love the software! I love the interface! I love OSX! But APPLE, your hardware is a ****ing JOKE right now!!!! No more apologies and explaining of the megahertz/gigahertz myth! We bought it when it was a 50MHZ, then 100MHZ, then a 200,300MHZ gap....but TWICE the clock speed? Come on.

Apple is too innovative as a company to be playing catch up at all. Especially with those prices. That's like paying $75,000 for a top of the line Mercedes with an inline four cylinder engine! (I can hear it now "But, the styling, the way the buttons feel, the mystique, the brand name, and the TRANSMISISON are so GOOOOD!).

They better deliver HUGELY bumped and updated PM's....or release the bitchin' G5. Even if our dreams come true and Apple releases a 1.6 GHZ G5 is Jan....that will STILL be a 600MHZ speed gap!!!!

We are bitching because Apple has their head up their ass in the pro line. If I was Steve Jobs I would have done worse than throw the phone across the room....I would have driven to Mot HQ and opened up a can of WHOOP ASS.

iMac G4
PowerMac G5

That is what we want!! Give it to us NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!!!!!

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
post #37 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
[QB]
That is what we want!! Give it to us NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!!!!!
QB]<hr></blockquote>

SDW2001:
Please post again so we know that throbbing vein in your forehead didn't burst and kill you on the spot.

post #38 of 44
Ok, I too am a big fan of ATAT. And I too believe their visions, be they goat entrails or crystal balls, are quite accurate. As accurate as we're going to get in this climate of pranksters, wannabe insiders and general hucksters.

So I'm ready to believe the G5 is months off and a G4 Apollo is ont he way (which is supposed to be much faster). I'm sad because I am ready to buy three new desktops. So I'm holding off. I bought a G3 desktop months before the G4 came out. Then I bought a G3 powerbook months before the G4 came out, and again felt ripped off. The lesson I learned is - ****! it sure does take them forever, but everytime I loose the faith and cave in buy a new machine, the next generation was so close It makes me feel like crap.

So now Apple can wait for my money.

And the longer they take, the longer they'll wait.

I ain't budging this time.

They should really learn a lesson from this. And if they don't, we should teach them one.

And don't give me that, "oh, well the G4 is fast enough for me!" nonsense. I do digital video editing and compositing - as far as i'm concerned, there will never be enough power. So I'm waiting for the next generation processor because from ALL accounts, it's going to kick some serious ass.

And if I wait all this time and it doesn't, i will simply cry.

HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
post #39 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
<strong>Apple, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!!!!!

SDW... I sure do feel your pain but Apple can't sell what isn't available and to come out and totally blame Apple for something that is Moto's fault isn't really fair.

Sure you can say... well then port OS X over to Intel and eff Mot/IBM but lets be realistic here, Apple can't do that and everyone here should know it. The two cpu's are TOTALLY different and Apple would be better off closing up shop if they were forced to jump to Intel. Does anyone really think OS X that was built around a RISC based PowerPC CPU can just be 're compiled' for a CISC based Intel CPI?

Sorry but even someone with the little programming background I have knows it would be years worth of work by then Intel might have migrated to RISC itself...

Apple is stuck between a rock and a hard place and I for one think they are doing the best they can... Mot or IBM will break the speed limit soon, that I'm sure of but I think MWSF isn't going to be the place where it will happen but come summer... it's off to the races!

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #40 of 44
I don't know what you are all complaining about... 1,2 GHz is not as bad as you put it especially when you consider that AMD is at "only" 1,6 GHz (Athlon XP 1900+) and their low-end chip at 1 GHz (Duron - although there is a 1,2 GHz Intel Celeron coming).

I think the crucial parts will be the hardware that surounds the CPU. Will there be DDR-RAM, what connections will be used between the northbridge, the southbridge, the CPU and the memory. Will they use something similar to the "TwinBank" technology used in nVidias nForce chipset? What other goodies will we see - FireWire successor, USB 2, Bluetooth (at least on the Powerbook), faster Airport options?

How about software and iPod-like gadgets?

I hope and am actually quite confident that we will be plesantly surprised... it's christmas after all ;-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prognog or Eggnog? ATAT's "visions"