or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Kazaa for Mac

Kazaa for Mac

post #1 of 73
why isn't there a good kazaa for mac?

i am thinking of making one (or trying with my minimal knowledge)

i was wondering if you think the makers of kazaa-lite would help
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #2 of 73
Because Kazaa makes it's money on Back End deals and the Mac Market is too small. No Spyware = no Kazaa
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 73
hmurchison is spot-on.

Without the adware and spyware, there is zero incentive to develop a Mac version. What's worse is that KaZaA encrypts the server-side connection so that third-party clients are nearly impossible to create. There have been no full third-party clients made to date.

KaZaA Lite is nothing more than a hacked version of KaZaA. No Mac KaZaA means no Mac KaZaA Lite.

For what it's worth, I do not consider Neo to be a reasonable KaZaA client.
post #4 of 73
Well, what is Kazaa Lite then? Did they just take Kazaa and figure out how to remove the ads and spyware? I'd imagine that if they built the client from the ground up, they would be able to make a Mac version, but maybe they just modified the standard version so they can't make a Mac version.
post #5 of 73
See my post again.

You must have been typing yours while I was editing mine.
post #6 of 73
Yeah, that's what happened.
post #7 of 73
lol yeah.... DC is better than any of those other Gnet clients anyway.... John Hess, its creator hasnt updated the site since February 10th though... He *claims* to be working on the Windoze version of DC to catch it up to the OS X one......... Oh well.. Only time will tell.
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2
lol yeah.... DC is better than any of those other Gnet clients anyway.... John Hess, its creator hasnt updated the site since February 10th though... He *claims* to be working on the Windoze version of DC to catch it up to the OS X one......... Oh well.. Only time will tell.

He 'claimed' to be working on a mac/linux/maybe even BeOS client last year. It was supposed to be 'out soon'. Of course it came out around November 2002 ... his announcement of it coming out 'soon' happen in March 2002. He doesn't have a track record for delivering 'on time' so to speak.
post #9 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by pyr3
He 'claimed' to be working on a mac/linux/maybe even BeOS client last year. It was supposed to be 'out soon'. Of course it came out around November 2002 ... his announcement of it coming out 'soon' happen in March 2002. He doesn't have a track record for delivering 'on time' so to speak.

Heheh. Yeah. It took him long enough to release the OS X client... Watch it take like 3 years till he releases the Linux one....

But until the 'official' Linux client gets released the third party DC-GUI seems pretty decent... at least to me....
post #10 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
why isn't there a good kazaa for mac?

i am thinking of making one (or trying with my minimal knowledge)

i was wondering if you think the makers of kazaa-lite would help

Check out NEO. I love it. Works great.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mthole/neo/

Good Luck.
post #11 of 73
Neo sucks. To me it's just like all those Gneutella programs... It's just as bad if not worse. Don't anyone use it. It's crap.
post #12 of 73
Quote:
Neo sucks. To me it's just like all those Gneutella programs... It's just as bad if not worse. Don't anyone use it. It's crap.

NEO works good. It is not a total solution. I agree. It does not suck. It is as good as Gneutella and it is as bad. It can't hurt to try it.
post #13 of 73
I have tried it and I hate it.
post #14 of 73
Quote:
I have tried it and I hate it.

hate what, large selection of music, movies, and software (PC only mostly) or the fast downloads?
post #15 of 73
I just don't like KaZaA that's all....
post #16 of 73
Quote:
I just don't like KaZaA that's all....

thats fine...u mean the setup or what, i am just curious not trying to be an ass (anymore )
post #17 of 73
I'm guessing it has to do with the unreliable speeds, unreliable file integrity, and unreliable quality of said files. In all three of these areas, my experience with Kazaa has been spotty at best.

And then there's that god-awful interface.

Of course, the same of the first three can be said of the other services such as Gnutella or OpenNap at times.

Oh, and did I mention all the Spyware and Adware that's bundled with Kazaa?
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
I'm guessing it has to do with the unreliable speeds, unreliable file integrity, and unreliable quality of said files. In all three of these areas, my experience with Kazaa has been spotty at best.

Of course, the same of the first three can be said of the other services such as Gnutella or OpenNap at times.

Brad are you saying you condone downloading mp3's, software and movies off these networks? now now....not setting a good example for those kids out there now are you....

Frank_t
post #19 of 73
Quote:

What Spyware/Adware software is included with the Mac OS X version (NEO)?
post #20 of 73
i havn't tried neo, but when i say kazaa i mean kazaa-lite

as for unreliable speeds, well that has never been a problem for me, though i tend to download the version that the most people have so tht if one person signs off the other people can finish it for me (plus it tends to be the real song more often)

and file integrity...you mean what it being the real file? i think this is a problem with every file sharing service, i don't get it very often, but i do think that its more prevalent with movies
post #21 of 73
Quote:

Well, I'll have to agree with frank_t and say that this is a thoroughly shocking revelation. Brad has used p2p for illegal downloads?!
post #22 of 73
Didn't you know...
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
Well, I'll have to agree with frank_t and say that this is a thoroughly shocking revelation. Brad has used p2p for illegal downloads?!

although i bet he does, P2P doesn't mean illegal files necessarily, alot of the 'hippy' band i listen to dont mind their music being shared, and it on there with the illegal music pop music
post #24 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.

There is none. I've heard that it's impossible to make spyware/adware that'll work on ANY Mac platform. And who wants that? Who wants spyware? It sucks.
post #25 of 73
Quote:
There is none. I've heard that it's impossible to make spyware/adware that'll work on ANY Mac platform. And who wants that? Who wants spyware? It sucks.

i find it hard to believe it is impossible...maybe just less likely
post #26 of 73
Of course no one wants Spyware except for the spyware companies. As I have mentioend before, if there is a spyware/adware for Mac - it will be both good and bad. Bad in the sense that spy/adware is now on our platform. Good in the sense that the Apple market is no longer being ignored and advertisers/marketers want this segment!
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
post #27 of 73
It probably is very difficult to get spyware on a Mac, though not impossible. You'd probably need access to /System for spyware to do anything, which would require an admin password, thus creating it very hard for spyware to get on your computer (unlike in windows, one click and it is installed). Probably the equivalent of writing a virus for the Mac.

Then again it isn't that difficult to write a program that deletes ~/, even one of Apple's software accidentally did that.
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.

Neo is not a Mac OS X version of Kazaa. Therefore, it does not have all the spyware that Kazaa has. In the post that you quoted, I ws referring to the Windows version of Kazaa.

From Neo's home page, emphasis mine:
Quote:
Neo is not a real Kazaa client, and never will be; the company in charge of the FastTrack (Kazaa) network won't allow third parties access to their encrypted protocol.

What *does* it do then?
Quote:
Neo uses a brute-force method to find Kazaa hosts. Given a user-defined IP address range, Neo will scan that portion of the Internet, looking for computers that respond on Kazaa's port. These IP ranges can become very large, and therefore take a considerable amount of time to scan. A range of 65,025 computer, such as 128.211.xx.xx currently takes about an hour or two. When a Kazaa host is found, Neo gets a list of all the shared files and their filesizes. Neo then writes this information to disk, and it is the content that Neo actually searches through. It is neccessary to scan and index hosts before you can search and download files with Neo.

That is why I cannot consider Neo a Kazaa client. In fact, flooding the network with scans like this is considered EXTREMELY bad etiquette and in some cases may even get you a letter from you ISP.
post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
Didn't you know...

I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #30 of 73
*bump* No doubt you will all be pleased to know that the developer of Acquisition has a new program in development named Liberty that will bring the FastTrack (Kazaa) protocol to Mac OS X.

More info.

WM
My digital hub: Power G5 Mac Dual 1.8GHz 1.25Gb/200Gb | iBook 600 DVD/384Mb/20Gb/AirPort | 5G iPod 60Gb | K700i | Lumix FX8
My digital hub: Power G5 Mac Dual 1.8GHz 1.25Gb/200Gb | iBook 600 DVD/384Mb/20Gb/AirPort | 5G iPod 60Gb | K700i | Lumix FX8
post #31 of 73
It looks like another Acquisition clone to me... I'll try it but it's not gonna be like the KaZaA for Windows.
post #32 of 73
Quote:
It looks like another Acquisition clone to me... I'll try it but it's not gonna be like the KaZaA for Windows.

It is a clone of sorts... It's by the same guy, Dave Watanabe who wrote Acquisition (Porfiry in the forums I linked to).

WM
post #33 of 73
Yeah. Dave Wannabe. A wannabe programmer!

j/k I bet his new FT app is gonna be good.
post #34 of 73
Kazaa has the best speed and selection but the Mac clients suck. They say on the Kazaa website you can order a Mac kazaa however. Oh well.

I want a good SoulseekX client. My college caps everything else even eDonkey. I wonder if I get back if they'll have BitTorrent capped, since it has a lot of legit use. Does SpeedDownload work with BitTorrent? That would be fassssssst. Not that anything of this matters to me now back with a modem. I bet it will be all straightened out this Fall.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #35 of 73
Quote:
...That is why I cannot consider Neo a Kazaa client. In fact, flooding the network with scans like this is considered EXTREMELY bad etiquette and in some cases may even get you a letter from you ISP.

Yeah, my friend got an angry email from our college ITS department because some guy was threatening something or another because an IP from our school was portscanning his computer. Neo isn't worth the two megs it takes up on your computer.

Back on topic, what's BitTorrent? I just downloaded it, but how do I find these .torrent files? Is there a webpage that lists them, or how does it work?
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #36 of 73
I too just downloaded bitTorrent. It seems to work nicely, you just have to have patience for the speed to ramp up. As far as finding files-as with everything else-use google. Just type in whatever you're looking for and .torrent in google and you should get a few hits. As far as getting the torrents to work, don't treat them as hyperlinks, control-click the link and choose 'copy link to clipboard' then past it into the open URL field in BitTorrent.
post #37 of 73
Question for a friendly mod: Is it a no-no to post a link to mac torrent site seeing as it could be used for shady doings?
post #38 of 73
I believe MLDonkey supports the FastTrak protocol (kazaa), works decently, but I still find direct connect superior.

MLDonkey: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...771&vid=105328
post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
Question for a friendly mod: Is it a no-no to post a link to mac torrent site seeing as it could be used for shady doings?

I'm hardly a mod but if the site contains pirated software or links in this case I would not recommend it.

WM
post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally posted by WJMoore
I'm hardly a mod but if the site contains pirated software or links in this case I would not recommend it.

WM

i would, but secretly of course and only so he would get in trouble and not me, then again i'm that type of person ; )

this looks awesome, are any of you trying to think of an icon for the contest?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Kazaa for Mac