or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › A little detail, thank Brad...

A little detail, thank Brad...

post #1 of 30
Switched the text entry boxes and other CSS elements to use OS defaults.

A nice touch for Safari users (I personally hated the Verdana text entry boxes) and Windows Users, as it would fix a lot of odd color and font stuff in text entry boxes and pull-down menus.
post #2 of 30
it took me a minute or two to figure out why the text box looked different

sweet.

Thanks Brad
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #3 of 30
I'm also working on adding height and width elements to a number of the templates and as I go, I am updating the code to better fit the XHTML 1.0 standard (it was originally written by vB as HTML 4.01 plus some other munged sugments of code).
post #4 of 30
Gotta say that the forums now look like utter crap on IE6 (Win XP). Everything is centered, and the font is some horrible tiny serif disaster.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 30
Under Mac OS 9.2.2 using Netscape 7+, the text looks way too small (and bold text is unreadable).

When I run text zoom in netscape, at 120% the text made me sick (since I wear glasses) -- it looked very blurry for me. At 150%, the text looks a little less blurry (but it still bothers my sigh).
post #6 of 30
Well, I'm afraid I don't have a Mac OS 9 machine anywhere nearby any longer. Care to post a screenshot, mando? Everything looks as it should in Netscape 7 on Mac OS X.

I have no idea what's going on with your Windows box either, audiopollution. Beisdes, I haven't changed any formatting that should have this kind of result.
post #7 of 30
Brad,

All the text is centred on my WinXP box too . No settings changed here.

Dave.
post #8 of 30
i was on a win98 box last night, same centering issue. IE5.
post #9 of 30
Also centered here. Win2KPro.
I was promised flying cars. Where are the flying cars?
I was promised flying cars. Where are the flying cars?
post #10 of 30
WEEEE Centered! I love it!

XP Prof Ed.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #11 of 30
Annoyingly centered here on the work machine...

WinBloz 2000 SP3 on a crappy Dell desktop...

I keep asking for a Mac, and the IT guy keeps laughing at me!

Gotta say, the (roughly) 5" high black Apple logo (w/red Kanji characters offset to the left side of the apple, reads Mackido, aka 'The Power Of The Mac Way'...) on the back of my right calf doesn't help me out in this WinBloz-centric company...

Cheers!

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #12 of 30
Screenshot you asked for, Brad. This is IE6 on Win XP. It's fine in Mozilla.

post #13 of 30
At least he fixed the font issue. \
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Well, I'm afraid I don't have a Mac OS 9 machine anywhere nearby any longer. Care to post a screenshot, mando? Everything looks as it should in Netscape 7 on Mac OS X.

I was going to but I had some much other stuff to do at the same time - sorry. I guess I'm also late since the text now looks 'normal' like it used to be.
post #15 of 30
scrolling side to side gets tedious and beyond annoying. fix this damn centering issue now!
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
post #16 of 30
I'm like a junkie suddenly denied their left-justifaction!

Things are about to get ugly(er).
post #17 of 30
Well, guys, I'm baffled here. Seriously, I changed *nothing* that should cause the alignment to switch to centered like this.

The code is correct as far as I can tell. It renders exactly as it should in every engine I've tried: Netscape 7 (from Mozilla 1.0.1), Mozilla 1.2.1, Safari b2, OmniWeb 4.2, OmniWeb 4.5 sp 26 (using a tweaked Apple WebCore), Internet Explorer for Mac, and iCab.

This must be a Windows IE formatting bug. The code is correct, as far as I can tell. Oh how I hate you, Windows IE. I personally like murbot's take on this:

If anyone here has some HTML and CSS experience, feel free to take a look at the source code of an affected page and point me towards the error. I'll keep looking, but I doubt I'll find anything and even if I do I won't know to fix it since everything all renders fine in all the browsers I have here.

LL
post #18 of 30
Well, it worked fine before you starting messin' last night.

Break out the backups.
post #19 of 30
Speaking of having to scroll side-to-side...

Is there any way to restrict the maximum length of a single line of text? Say someone pastes in a huge long URL instead of using the [ url ] tag... on my 12" iBook, it becomes really annoying because I have only 1024 horizontal pixels (unlike all you TiBook and 17" studio display owners with 1280!). Could it be made to, say, wrap around?
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
Gotta say that the forums now look like utter crap on IE6 (Win XP). Everything is centered, and the font is some horrible tiny serif disaster.

XP? geddahellouddahier..

Brad, I like the fact it looks (looked?) crappy on IE + Win ...
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
XP? geddahellouddahier..

Brad, I like the fact it looks (looked?) crappy on IE + Win ...

Well, it does exactly the same thing on Opera 7 running on Windows.

We can't all dictate what computers are sitting on our desks at work, and I'm not about to fire up my powerbook just to read AppleInsider with proper formatting.
post #22 of 30
There are a lot of < center > tags all over the HTML. Can you get rid of any of those? Maybe that will fix it? I'm not sure if they were there before or not.

I'm using Win2000 at work and I'm experiencing the same issues.
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #23 of 30
Erm, it was fixed for about 3 minutes. Whatever you did, do it again.
post #24 of 30
did you guys just fix it? Cause its not centered anymore...but the message displays are pretty big
post #25 of 30

Oh how I hate you Windows Internet Explorer.

ONE LINE.

Windows Internet Explorer barfs when it sees a DOCTYPE for XHTML. Now I understand why so many web programmers have to write ****ed-up code tailored for IE's eccentricities.

Thanks to murbot for loading this on my PC as I tweaked the pages.

So much for having a standards-compliant forum here. **** those plans.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Oh how I hate you Windows Internet Explorer.

ONE LINE.

Windows Internet Explorer barfs when it sees a DOCTYPE for XHTML. Now I understand why so many web programmers have to write ****ed-up code tailored for IE's eccentricities.

It was happening on Opera, too ... and I don't think it's using the MS HTML engine.
post #27 of 30
Yes, but in my experince Opera isn't exactly standards-compliant for display. I bet itf anything its engine leans heavily towards matching IE's borked display than Moz and K's correct engines.
post #28 of 30
Here's MacEdition's CodeBitch on the subject, with the usual array of useful links:

http://www.macedition.com/cb/cb_20030505.php
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #29 of 30
Many thanks, Amorph.

Hopefully I can find a workaround for IE and reimplement the XHTML again in the near future. I guess it's not *so* big a deal, but I was really kind of looking forward to getting everything correct here.

*deep cleansing breath*

8)
post #30 of 30
Hey, even Links works better than IE .. had to try!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › A little detail, thank Brad...