or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › My Idea, Please let me know your opinions

My Idea, Please let me know your opinions

post #1 of 6
A compactflash or similar card-like adapter that plugs into digital cameras or other devices, and has firewire at the other end to plug into your iPod and use it as a hard drive for pictures or movies. That's 30gb! you could record quite long movies on that at pretty high quality. It could even use bluetooth to transfer the data.

Andrew
post #2 of 6
Nice idea but apple doesn't do add on stuff.
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #3 of 6
Nice idea, but about a MILLION other people had the same one the minute after the iPod was first announced.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #4 of 6
One of the problems with this (though it's a good idea) is the alphabet soup of flash memory standards. With more useless revisions on the way from both Sony and Compact Flash. Bastards, all.

I'd wager someone is working on it. Maybe Formac or Griffin?
IBL!
IBL!
post #5 of 6
[quote]Originally posted by Andrew Xt:
<strong>It could even use bluetooth to transfer the data.

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd sooner use a 56k modem to transfer a movie (or anything else with gigabytes of data), as to try to do it over Bluetooth!!

Keep thinking of ways to make the iPod more useful though - you''re on the right track!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #6 of 6
You guys missed the point. This has nothing to do with Apple. The device just needs to be a CF to FW adapter, compatible with Palms or Digital Cameras that can mount a HFS+ or FAT32 volume, depending on whether the iPod invloved is Mac or PC.

The iPod itself doesn't know if it's being mounted by a Mac, PC, camera or PDA.

So this look slike a job for 3rd party developers, and it shouldn't really be THAT hard, or that expensive to implement. Connection would not be limited to iPods, of course. You could easily connect the thing to a self-powered FW hard drive of any type.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › My Idea, Please let me know your opinions