or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs

June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs

post #1 of 127
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I do not expect you to believe me straight away, but here is something I wanted to share withe you guys.

I have a rather good inside contact that told me about all those clients that were invited from all over Europe to attend a presentation in Berlin. He then specifically said that the purpose of this presentation was to launch the new IBM 970-based Powermacs.

(I don't know anything about the specs though.)

Knowing the guy, I'm pretty damn sure this is true.
post #2 of 127
Well, that's our show for tonight. G'Night Folks!
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
post #3 of 127
So we have a chance to see PowerMacs 970 in AppleStore in July and we must see it there in August. Any other timeframe should be considered pessimistic?
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #4 of 127
Ich bin ein Powermac11

Berlin seems a strange place to kick off a Mac product line.

But I guess we'll see!!
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
post #5 of 127
First MacBidet, now this? If there's anything to it, then Apple's Paris branch must leak like a sieve!
post #6 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
Berlin seems a strange place to kick off a Mac product line.

June 23rd just happens to be the start of WWDC.
post #7 of 127
And it doesn't sound like a "public" event either. More like an event where important customers/developers in europe are invited to check the new powermacs out. But I think it's strange that they would make this event on the 23rd. Would't it be wiser for Apple to hold such an event later to hinder information about the upcoming powermacs to be spread around. I don't see Apple calling customers from all over europe telling them to come and see the new powermacs with the 970 and panther. It just doesn't make sense.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #8 of 127
or apple have realised that a lot of european developers/key customers are not making the trip to wwdc. so they are having an event in europe.
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #9 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
or apple have realised that a lot of european developers/key customers are not making the trip to wwdc. so they are having an event in europe.

It would seem possible that they want to get a European developer gathering to showcase something.

But, ADC called me today trying to get me to go to WWDC (see WWDC thread) - they didn't say anything about European events.
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
post #10 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Clive
It would seem possible that they want to get a European developer gathering to showcase something.

But, ADC called me today trying to get me to go to WWDC (see WWDC thread) - they didn't say anything about European events.

you would have thought that when they knew you were not going to wwdc, they would have said 'oh how about berlin?'

perhaps its a fake then...
post #11 of 127
nah, but i do think they will call him back in a couple of weeks. maybe jobs will be broadcast on a big vid screen atop the berlin wall.

Mr. Megahertz, let your myth go on no more.
post #12 of 127
Unveiling in Germany? Leaked from Paris? I'm not sure. I think the poster is upset at all the wine boycotts. I know the iBook (I think) was unveiled in Japan (I think) but other then that, hasn't most HUGE and the BIGGEST releases or launches been in the states?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #13 of 127
Assuming this is true, and hush-hush, it lends some credence to the idea that Apple will show Panther running on a "hypothetical" 64-bit platform at WWDC, as they are wont to do, and they've arranged to do the same for select European developers, of which there are quite a few important ones (including eMagic, for one).

The actual release of the machines will come later; perhaps the "unknown" Apple executive giving a keynote at MWNY will do the honors?
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #14 of 127
Amorph your bit about emagic doesn't make much sense as they're owned by Apple and don't have to be invited to anything except maybe an after work sushi party or two, also some of their top bods have actually re-located to Cupertino, Marcus Fritze for one .

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #15 of 127
Central European Time is GMT-1, while Pacific Time is GMT+8: if they announce those 970-based Macs in Berlin they better do it after the WWDC keynote ends, which would make it well after 20:00 CET. I find this quite unlikely. If instead they unveil the 970 in Berlin at 9:00 CET can you guess the amount of cross-ocean leaks that will occurr in nine hours? It'd spoil everything Steve has to say...

Nice attempt, but I don't believe it.

ZoSo
post #16 of 127
Maybe it's just a satellite recast of El Jefe's WWDC stevenote. I don't find that so hard to believe.
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
post #17 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex London
Amorph your bit about emagic doesn't make much sense as they're owned by Apple and don't have to be invited to anything except maybe an after work sushi party or two, also some of their top bods have actually re-located to Cupertino, Marcus Fritze for one .

I was only using eMagic as an example of significant developers in Europe (and specifically Germany). I thought it would be obvious that Apple employees who need to know about the 970 would know about it by now.

Original music:

Original music:
post #18 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by ZoSo
Central European Time is GMT-1, while Pacific Time is GMT+8: if they announce those 970-based Macs in Berlin they better do it after the WWDC keynote ends, which would make it well after 20:00 CET. I find this quite unlikely. If instead they unveil the 970 in Berlin at 9:00 CET can you guess the amount of cross-ocean leaks that will occurr in nine hours? It'd spoil everything Steve has to say...

Nice attempt, but I don't believe it.

ZoSo

Yep ZoSo is right... if an event were to be held in Europe it would have to start somewhere between 7PM/8PM WET or 8PM/9PM Middle Euro Time.

Ain't no way Steve would allow anyone to intro 970 based Macs in Europe at the same time (and never before) he does the intros himself in CA - 10AM PDT is the keynote start..

Start 10AM PDT = 1PM EDT = 6:00PM Western European Time
End 12PM PDT = 3PM EDT = 8:00PM Western European Time

Now if they did a sat-cast of the keynote for people in Europe then it could/would start at 6PM. And hey, a sat-cast could happen... but Apple might risk getting people mad (what else is new) who traveled to all the way to CA just to see the keynote (pretty expensive and silly trip if the keynote was the only thing they went for). WWDC is way more than just a 2 hour keynote.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #19 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee
Now if they did a sat-cast of the keynote for people in Europe then it could/would start at 6PM. And hey, a sat-cast could happen...

A sat-cast would be nice! I wonder how long will I have to wait before I can watch the keynote highlights on a 3G phone while I have a pre-dinner drink with my friends, right between 6 and 8 PM (keynote time!)... Sometimes technology is fun!

ZoSo
post #20 of 127
Quote:
Start 10AM PDT = 1PM EDT = 6:00PM Western European Time
End 12PM PDT = 3PM EDT = 8:00PM Western European Time

A lot of folks seem to be thinking in absolutes based upon a preconcieved past history. The 970 is a whole new ball game. Steve Jobs likes surprises, and is not beyond deliberatly changing patterns to maintain the surprise. He may perceive a business advantage to concurrent announcements to court major players/developers/manufacturers in the European community. The time frames are consistent with a potential West European Announcement. I have no doubt that Europe is a market where Apple wants to make much bigger inroads and what better way to demonstrate its importance to Apple.

If the 970 is as big as rumors indicate, then a concurrent release/demonstration in Germany wouldn't be completely out of the question, especially if it is limited to a few "important" individuals. No doubt they would want to make sure it didn't supercede Steve's Keynote but the time frames are reasonable for a concurrent announcement.

It is all speculation at this point, but perhaps we should start listening for news of asian "events" after the WWDC keynote.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #21 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
I think the poster is upset at all the wine boycotts.

I think the only boycotts worth mentioning are those of all the whining coming from the other side of the pond.
post #22 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
you would have thought that when they knew you were not going to wwdc, they would have said 'oh how about berlin?'

perhaps its a fake then...

I'm probably not important enough for Berlin.

If they're having some special event there for select developers they won't want to discourage people from travelling to WWDC. Anyone can go to SF, if they have the money and time.
post #23 of 127
Quote:
Now if they did a sat-cast of the keynote for people in Europe then it could/would start at 6PM. And hey, a sat-cast could happen...

They made a sat-cast in Paris were the European Mac press and others could see the MWSF keynote live.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #24 of 127
Quote:
Unveiling in Germany? Leaked from Paris? I'm not sure. I think the poster is upset at all the wine boycotts. I know the iBook (I think) was unveiled in Japan (I think) but other then that, hasn't most HUGE and the BIGGEST releases or launches been in the states?

The Apple Cube presentation was in Paris, AFAIK.
Waiting for the Power Mac G5 since Oktober 2001
post #25 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Freddy
The Apple Cube presentation was in Paris, AFAIK.

So we have history of 2 major releases not in the US?

Question- Stevie is giving the keynote here, assuming he announces the 970, couldn't (if legit) the Germany presentation mearly be an announcement of what was released in the states? An up close and personal presentation to potential European buyers?
post #26 of 127
Personally, I don't know if this rumor is true or not, but I did realize something today. Apple generally tries to introduce products at events where they're most appropriate. Macworlds have generally been consumer focused.

Then I saw a comment in today's press releases that WWDC also includes QuickTime Live as well.

Who's going to be Apple's primary consumer for a new line of PowerMac systems?

If some of the rumors about 970s being ahead of schedule are true (or partially true), I think it raises the possibility of the WWDC keynote being the place where we'll see the 970s.

Now, if the Germany event is going to be a Sat broadcast for local developers, then I wonder if Apple is also going to webcast the event. Apple has never webcast a WWDC keynote, although they have had bits available after the event.

Should be interesting.

theFly
www.flyonthemac.com
Rumors You Can Bet On

theFly

I regurgitate sarcasm

theFly

I regurgitate sarcasm

post #27 of 127
Quote:
So we have history of 2 major releases not in the US?

Question- Stevie is giving the keynote here, assuming he announces the 970, couldn't (if legit) the Germany presentation mearly be an announcement of what was released in the states? An up close and personal presentation to potential European buyers?

That sounds logical, but something that sounded even more logical that I noticed someone say today was that there would be no 970 @ WWDC, and it was going to get held back until MWNY.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #28 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
That sounds logical, but something that sounded even more logical that I noticed someone say today was that there would be no 970 @ WWDC, and it was going to get held back until MWNY.

Apple won't release anything MWNYCreate (or what they are calling it this week).
JLL

JLL

post #29 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaktai
A lot of folks seem to be thinking in absolutes based upon a preconcieved past history. The 970 is a whole new ball game.

A showing of a hypothetical 64 bit platform to a small, invitation-only crowd hours before a Stevenote would be much less a scoop than, say, Time magazine putting the LCD iMac on newsstands everywhere hours before a Stevenote.

JLL: Maybe Apple won't release anything at MWNY, and maybe they will. An "unknown" Apple executive is scheduled to keynote MWNY. As I've wondered elsewhere, if it was Phil Schiller giving a dog and pony show, why keep it a secret?

Maybe Apple is hedging its bets enough that if things go awry, Phil can do a dog and pony show, and if they do well, Steve can do a big keynote. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the keynote material was decided on at the last moment.

Original music:

Original music:
post #30 of 127
When is MWNY?
post #31 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker

Yea, well I think a lot of of us may be confusing 2 interpretations of 1 possible rumor; the 970 debuted at WWDC. Just because Stevie unveils this hot new holy grail of desktops doesn't mean the store will be taking orders. It could be announced to the select crowd and then publicly released at MWNY or similar. Either way, I am only holding my breathe for a Sept/Aug release, because even tho it's longer to hold out for, it's what I was originally told.
post #32 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
When is MWNY?

Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #33 of 127
Where do you people learn to speak/write English so badly?

It's "the German event" or "the event in Germany", not "the Germany event"!
post #34 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by inseader
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I do not expect you to believe me straight away, but here is something I wanted to share withe you guys.

I have a rather good inside contact that told me about all those clients that were invited from all over Europe to attend a presentation in Berlin. He then specifically said that the purpose of this presentation was to launch the new IBM 970-based Powermacs.

(I don't know anything about the specs though.)

Knowing the guy, I'm pretty damn sure this is true.

A PPC970 presentation in Berlin is not goin' to happen.

Why in Germany?
Why in Berlin?
What kind of event is in Berlin then?
post #35 of 127
Why not in Germany?
Why not in Berlin?

A Satellite Broadcast.

Who knows?

Only apple people know for sure.

Maybe they want to mix things up a bit in Europe.
post #36 of 127
Wasn't it a German Mac magazine that published benchmarks a while back that showed Apple's high end Powermac getting entirely destroyed by a Wintel? Maybe that really stuck in Jobs' craw and now it's payback time!
post #37 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Freddy
A PPC970 presentation in Berlin is not goin' to happen.

Why in Germany?
Why in Berlin?

Why can't it happen? Berlin is pretty easy to get to from anywhere in Europe - Apple may consider that they really have to put a show on for Europe too.

There's no reason there couldn't be a simultaneous roll-out.

On the other hand it could just be a big reseller or distributor getting a satellite link.
post #38 of 127
based on the past responses from AO folks in Yarrup,
while the 970 would be welcome announcement news,
many would be seem to prefer it if iPhoto prints and iTunes Music Store were made available outside the US (after years of promises to do so)

iTMS probably won't get Recording Industry approval for 'export' until the US business model has been tested (and windows users get a crack), but iPhoto book ordering is lagging behind US "one-click" ease of use.

970 news would be gravy, but methinks there's plenty of pent-up demand for the services North Americans take for granted from Apple.

my 2.7 cents Canadian
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #39 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Wasn't it a German Mac magazine that published benchmarks a while back that showed Apple's high end Powermac getting entirely destroyed by a Wintel? Maybe that really stuck in Jobs' craw and now it's payback time!

c't is not a Mac magazine and it comes from Hannover
The market share in Germany went to the ground in the last years so a special "we're back" event would be welcomed!
post #40 of 127
Good Lord. Does this thread wreak of half-baked rumors, geo-political ugliness and gramatical free-for-all...about all anyone would hope we would never see in a thread...except maybe the half-baked rumors, of course

I really don't think Apple will broadcast any of the WWDC when it is minimum $1,300 just to go ($1,600 in a few days). But perhaps a special gathering of developers at a reduced rate would entice a few just for the keynote - those who couldn't afford the plane, hotel and conference fees. Apple makes money, gets the word out fast and developers and customers get a warm fuzzy that they had an inside glimpse at the thing. Interesting thoughts....
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs