or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs

June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs - Page 2

post #41 of 127
Didn't they do a sat broadcast for WWDC keynote before?

the imac? (not sure, its been a while)
post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardf12
Didn't they do a sat broadcast for WWDC keynote before?

the imac? (not sure, its been a while)

Wasn't the iMac introduced a few days before WWDC 1998?
...we have assumed control
post #43 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Clive
Where do you people learn to speak/write English so badly?

It's "the German event" or "the event in Germany", not "the Germany event"!

We learnt at skhool.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #44 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Wasn't the iMac introduced a few days before WWDC 1998?

Nevermind, found it:

May 1998 Apple press releases spells out - May 8th intro, WWDC May 11th-15th.
post #45 of 127
whoops.

I do remember i was watching a sat feed for it though so i'm not TOTALLY senile yet.
post #46 of 127
Ok, I highly doubt a 970 debut in germany. Apple probably sells more Mac's to people in Los Angeles than they do to all of europe so quit blowing smoke smoke in that direction.

Also, is there any news of a Quicktime feed from WWDC, or a satellite broadcast yet?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Ok, I highly doubt a 970 debut in germany. Apple probably sells more Mac's to people in Los Angeles than they do to all of europe so quit blowing smoke smoke in that direction.

Also, is there any news of a Quicktime feed from WWDC, or a satellite broadcast yet?

I really don't think there will be a Quicktime feed, simply due to the amount they charge to attend the WWDC. I wouldn't doubt a special event right before or after WWDC to announce a 970 if it is indeed ready by then. Otherwise, they may just preview a black box type thing. WWDC is not really a hardware showcase event - you never know with Steve-O though
post #48 of 127
Quote:

speak/write English so poorly...

Geez, and you blokes invented the damn language.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #49 of 127
Quote:
Good Lord. Does this thread wreak of half-baked rumors, geo-political ugliness and gramatical free-for-all...about all anyone would hope we would never see in a thread...except maybe the half-baked rumors, of course

I really don't think Apple will broadcast any of the WWDC when it is minimum $1,300 just to go ($1,600 in a few days). But perhaps a special gathering of developers at a reduced rate would entice a few just for the keynote - those who couldn't afford the plane, hotel and conference fees. Apple makes money, gets the word out fast and developers and customers get a warm fuzzy that they had an inside glimpse at the thing. Interesting thoughts....

I've watched the webcast of the WWDC keynote for the past several years.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #50 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
I've watched the webcast of the WWDC keynote for the past several years.

Live? I knew you could view them after the fact.
post #51 of 127
Quote:
Live? I knew you could view them after the fact.

Maybe it's a really bad connection, like through an acoustic decoupler or something. Programmer, it's about time you treated yourself to a nice new modem!

post #52 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
[B]Ich bin ein Powermac11

So You are a Powermac?
People let's not quote qutoes that are wrong to begin with.

When kennedy said "Ich bin Ein Berliener" - translated "I am a Jelly Donut"

Kennedy should of said "Ich Bin Berliner!"- I am a Berlin-er

Just wanted to put that aside.

But I have no doubt what so ever that the 970 will be released at WWDC and Dell will CRAP there pants.
I have no sanity, Michael Dell, and his invisible penguin armada took it away.
I have no sanity, Michael Dell, and his invisible penguin armada took it away.
post #53 of 127
Quote:
I wouldn't doubt a special event right before or after WWDC to announce a 970

Steve's WWDC keynote is the special event to announce the 970. That's why the whole thing was moved to late June in the first place.

It will be webcast live to the general public, just like a regular MWNY Keynote, which for all intents and purposes, it is.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #54 of 127
Quote:
I really don't think there will be a Quicktime feed, simply due to the amount they charge to attend the WWDC. I wouldn't doubt a special event right before or after WWDC to announce a 970 if it is indeed ready by then. Otherwise, they may just preview a black box type thing. WWDC is not really a hardware showcase event - you never know with Steve-O though

I have to dispute a few things. It's not the KeyNote that the developers are paying for. Not transmitting a keynote.... It costs money to go to MWNY, and MWSF also, but that never stopped Apple from broadcasting a keynote there.
If there is a PowerMac announcement there will be a Keynote. Keynotes have been broadcast from WWDC before. If somebody is paying to go to a Developer Conference just to see the Keynote speaker they are hardcore Steve Jobs fans. To blow that kind of cash, and not be a developer? Do you realize the value of the knowledge in those Sessions? That is what the developers are paying for. Access to the sessions not to hope there is a Hardware announcement that they will know about 5 minutes before the rest of the world.

Did you take the blue pill?
onlooker

onlooker

post #55 of 127
With the ever building sound and fury regarding the purported introduction of the 970 at WWDC, I think Apple's silence is very telling. I know they don't comment on rumors, but when the rumors get so big-they do. They could simply throw water on the whole rumor with a few carefully chosen words, and they haven't. So I agree it must be coming at WWDC.
post #56 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazzyass86
So You are a Powermac?
People let's not quote qutoes that are wrong to begin with.

When kennedy said "Ich bin Ein Berliener" - translated "I am a Jelly Donut"

Kennedy should of said "Ich Bin Berliner!"- I am a Berlin-er

Just wanted to put that aside.

But I have no doubt what so ever that the 970 will be released at WWDC and Dell will CRAP there pants.

970 with Jelly!
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #57 of 127
The thread seems to have degraded into a debate on national superiority. Relax, guys. We don't know anything for sure. Just remember that international sales are very important for Apple; without selling Macs all over the planet Jobs may give up on any market share. If he wants Apple to be an American-only company, M$ will swallow it without thinking.
So a special event in Europe is possible, though I don't think it will be a PM 970 presentation. Probably, something aimed at Europe?
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazzyass86
"I am a Jelly Donut"

"I am a meat popsicle"
post #59 of 127
Well, it doesn't matter what country you are from...we will ALL enjoy 970 based Mac...just can't wait!
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
post #60 of 127
Serious?
post #61 of 127
Quote:

It's "the German event" or "the event in Germany", not "the Germany event"!

The question is: Where do a lot of YOU people learn to speak/write English so poorly considering it is your first language?

kroehl
post #62 of 127
clive,
whether it be a germany event or a german event, we are just happy that it isn't a UK event.
thank you.
post #63 of 127
Apple's market share in europe has gone below zero, if such a thing is possible. The reasons:

-complete uninterest in anything outside USA
-very high prices (add a situation where the was well below the $; then increase the price in 18% -vat average)
-really poor performance
-nt2000 and ;XpPro running pro apps like speed demons on sub $900 wintel boxes.

Now if Apple has at last a competing machine, there's a long road to walk in europe to demonstrate and convince everyone "they're back" -kicking arses. An event MUST take place.

And why in Germany? Well, during the irak conflict Mr Bush had only 2 allies (from the first instances of the problem): UK and Spain.
Having GORE ("i invented internet" ;p) on board, you must kinda boicott the republicans, then the two aformentioned are discarded. So, the other reamining big countries left are Italy, France and Germany.
Frenchs have almost insulted yankees all along the conflict, so no way. Italy? ..too many vespas ? .

No other choice but Germany.

anyway, dont take me too seriously. ;p
post #64 of 127
Hmm... just a little bit of info on prices. Earlier when we had no online Apple Store in Norway, the prices were insane. I would think maybe 40-50% more than in the united states. In addition most retailers were geared most towards the publishing business, and didn't treat their consumer customers all that well. Arrogant is the word.
When they launched the Apple Stores here most prices fell about 20-40%, and you still have to look fairly hard to find independent retailers with the same or lower prices than Apple has.
So the result is that macs are quite affordable in Norway right now, somewhat caused by the relatively strong valuta we have here. Of course you can buy really cheap PC-boxes here too, but the price difference between a mac and a similarly equipped Dell-box is not all that huge anymore. So thank you Apple for bringing us the online Apple Store so I don't have to deal with all the arrogant independant retailers anymore!
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #65 of 127
OK...

In the past, Apple would announce a sexy new PowerMac, and on the same day motorola would announce a sexy new chip.

So, in the future, Apple will announce a very sexy new PowerMac, and on the same day IBM will announce a very sexy new chip.

IBM Europe is headquartered in Germany.

Just a possibility....
post #66 of 127
aha - so, in germany?

why in berlin?

apple hq germany is in - munic.
they do often show as a sat broadcast steves keynotes...

best connection to europe is from - frankfurt.
so, just if developers, who don't liek to travel 30h to the westcoast, shall make a short trip to grmany, frankfurt would be first choice.
-------
what number is germany in international sales? japan, uk, germany? wouldn't be tokio a better choice?

even the very nice sony (partner in crime of apple) center in berlin is probably toasted by a nice ambiente in japan...........
----------

sorry, this rumor makes no sense........
\
post #67 of 127
The possibility of a little get-together in Germany does not rule out the possibility of another in Japan - although Apple fares a lot better in Japan than in Europe, so you could argue there's more of a need to pitch the new machines in Europe.

Remember, this isn't "WWDC Germany," it's something that none of us would even have thought of if the original poster hadn't spoken up - whether or not it's actually going to happen. A "private showing" if you will.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #68 of 127
Apple music store in Germany. That I could see.
onlooker

onlooker

post #69 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by NETROMac
[...] It just doesn't make sense.

This utter thread doesn't make sense either. Please oh please.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #70 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by smalM
c't is not a Mac magazine and it comes from Hannover
The market share in Germany went to the ground in the last years so a special "we're back" event would be welcomed!

but its the best "mac magazine" in germany @all
Waiting for the Power Mac G5 since Oktober 2001
Waiting for the Power Mac G5 since Oktober 2001
post #71 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
They could simply throw water on the whole rumor with a few carefully chosen words, and they haven't. So I agree it must be coming at WWDC.

I wouldn't say "must", but I do agree their silence could be significant. As I recall before a recent MacWorld Apple specifically said "no new hardware" to quell rumors. Given that the 970 is the most anticipated product in many years, I would think Apple would want to lower expectations if in fact it won't be released soon.

The other factor is that there's still no good explanation for pushing WWDC back a month with such short notice. I'm not buying that it was done for Panther; it's not a big deal if a prerelease product has some rough edges, certainly not worth the logistical problems of moving the conference date and location. It does however fit perfectly with the rumors of IBM's 970 production being slightly ahead of schedule.
post #72 of 127
niji quote "whether it be a germany event or a german event, we are just happy that it isn't a UK event.
thank you."
What is that all about?
Thankyou.

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #73 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
This utter thread doesn't make sense either. Please oh please.

Good point
Former WWDC Watchdog.
Former WWDC Watchdog.
post #74 of 127
Quote:
I have to dispute a few things. It's not the KeyNote that the developers are paying for. Not transmitting a keynote.... It costs money to go to MWNY, and MWSF also, but that never stopped Apple from broadcasting a keynote there.
If there is a PowerMac announcement there will be a Keynote. Keynotes have been broadcast from WWDC before. If somebody is paying to go to a Developer Conference just to see the Keynote speaker they are hardcore Steve Jobs fans. To blow that kind of cash, and not be a developer? Do you realize the value of the knowledge in those Sessions? That is what the developers are paying for. Access to the sessions not to hope there is a Hardware announcement that they will know about 5 minutes before the rest of the world.

From the horses mouth:

To: Chris Langlois <clanglois@mac.com>
Date: Wed May 21, 2003 09:43:20 AM PDT
Re: WWDC

Thank you for your email.

We have not announced whether or not the keynote will be broadcast on satellite. When that decision is made we will distribute the relevant information.

Thank you,
Josh Morgan

Quote:
Did you take the blue pill?

Yes. And rather than listen to jerks rant, I went to sleep.
post #75 of 127
Quote:
Apple music store in Germany. That I could see.

There are a lot who can...
post #76 of 127
Quote:
From the horses mouth:

To: Chris Langlois <clanglois@mac.com>
Date: Wed May 21, 2003 09:43:20 AM PDT
Re: WWDC

Thank you for your email.

We have not announced whether or not the keynote will be broadcast on satellite. When that decision is made we will distribute the relevant information.

Thank you,
Josh Morgan

That's probably concerning a public available sat cast. The MWNY keynote that the European press could see in Paris was a private sat feed.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #77 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Steve's WWDC keynote is the special event to announce the 970. That's why the whole thing was moved to late June in the first place.

It will be webcast live to the general public, just like a regular MWNY Keynote, which for all intents and purposes, it is.

I don't think so....[list=1][*]WWDC = World Wide Developers Conference. Software Developers that is. Traditionally, not a lot of Hardware announcements here.[*]Reportedly, the conference was moved/delayed to accomodate a more feature complete Mac OS X 10.3 Panther preview (Software, not Hardware) NOT to announce the inclusion of the 970 chips into new Macs.[/list=1]
That being said, a Hardware announcement isn't COMPLETELY out of the question, but is VERY, VERY unlikely. After all, why would software developers need to know about a new chip that will require no additional software to be compatible with existing systems.

Yes I know the 970 is 64 bit, but it is also runs 32 bit software fine without modifications.

Expect the keynote to be about OS 10.3.
post #78 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by foxo
After all, why would software developers need to know about a new chip that will require no additional software to be compatible with existing systems.

Yes I know the 970 is 64 bit, but it is also runs 32 bit software fine without modifications.

Yep, but some apps would benefit from 64 bit.
JLL

JLL

post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by foxo
[B]Software Developers that is. Traditionally, not a lot of Hardware announcements here.

But it has happened, most notably with the Lombard Powerbooks. If the 970s are in condition to be announced, there's no way Apple's going to hold off because "WWDC is for software".

[*]Reportedly, the conference was moved/delayed to accomodate a more feature complete Mac OS X 10.3 Panther preview (Software, not Hardware) NOT to announce the inclusion of the 970 chips into new Macs.

And as I said above, I have a hard time believing that. Apparently developers who attend will get a Panther prerelease CD. But if Panther is good enough to hand out to developers in June, then it's good enough to demo in May. I just can't see that being the justification for the relatively last-minute delay.

After all, why would software developers need to know about a new chip that will require no additional software to be compatible with existing systems.

In addition to having the potential to run 64-bit apps, the 970 will have different performance characteristics and will probably require different optimization techniques, which developers need to know about.

If you look at the WWDC schedule, there's a 2 hour keynote followed by a 90 minute "Mac OS X State of the Union". There's plenty of time to cover both Panther and new hardware.
post #80 of 127
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
970 news would be gravy, but methinks there's plenty of pent-up demand for the services North Americans take for granted from Apple.

Basicaly couldn't give a flying one for IPhoto books, proper Sherlock support would be nice, not going to buy any digital downloads... so, much rather see a 970 than anything else.
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs