or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures)

'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures) - Page 2

post #41 of 149
Christmas-in-June presents for all!

*upload 1 of 3*
LL
post #42 of 149
*upload 2 of 3*
LL
post #43 of 149
*upload 3 of 3*

Enjoy.
LL
post #44 of 149
yeah brad....da man

g

still don't know what the beans pal is, but the green is pretty
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #45 of 149
Quote:

huh?

How many of you would buy it?

1. I have an iPod, (which i agree sometimes is not enough)
2. my pocketdrive with CCC serves this purpose great.
3. Why would i wan't.... naaaah that doesn't make too muche sense

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
post #46 of 149
The thing about it being a portable FireWire drive to boot off of, or whatever that said, is that the phrase "Connect over the air" doesn't really seem to fit. Whatever it is, it certainly seems like it'd be more of a feature than a seperate application, which makes the box confuse me. There's something about that box that makes me suspicious, maybe it's the corner, maybe the shadow in front, maybe the fact that the glare from the camera's flash looks like it's too high and to the right for the angle the picture is at, maybe I'm over analyzing it...

And if I were to be nitpicky, (I can't believe I even noticed this, I need to leave this thread), Apple is usually fairly good with kerning their text nicely, and the word 'air' has bucktooth gaps in it.
post #47 of 149
in the second picture, doesnt the "Pal" on the side of the box look a little too bold
post #48 of 149
Some of u guys would make a career in forensic science....
post #49 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant
http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=1&thecat=500

Someone save them fast.

Pal. It's an Internet service software that is basically the "Mac Desktop" for the Internet. Not a .Mac-like thing. Completely new thing. Coining the terms:"Illuminate the Internet.""See the Light" "Green Light to the Internet" Should be able to be used on Windows. Should be a "switching" tool to get Windows users on a Mac-based subscription.

8)

WTF they're not there anymore...
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
post #50 of 149
post #51 of 149
you notice that the light bulb has no screw cap or electrical contact, it's like a bottle a one end. significant?
post #52 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Hence the two pages of discussion about who saved them, and then Brad posting them after people sent them to him...
post #53 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Yeah, that's been mentioned.

Remember when SpyMac faked the iWalk cease and desist courtesy of Apple Legal? Heh...
post #54 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by MacUsers
in the second picture, doesnt the "Pal" on the side of the box look a little too bold

Yeah I saw that, the 'a' looks like it was horribly scaled, and the words 'Illuminate the internet' appear to be skewed 'down' when the box goes 'up' as it goes back. I actually made a list of 6 or 7 things about it to see if I still thought it was real, decided 'maybe', and now I'm trying not to waste anymore time picking it apart. I'm sure somebody will have diagrams and charts showing the angle of the lights and shadows soon. I still don't fully understand what on earth it would be.
post #55 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar
you notice that the light bulb has no screw cap or electrical contact, it's like a bottle a one end. significant?

Hmm. Not before you mentioned it I saw it as a ligh bulb. For me it looks like this:

Airborne internet service via bluetooth or 802.11?
post #56 of 149
Either the rebirth of the Newton... or a complete hoax.

I'm leaning hoax.
post #57 of 149
RosettaStoned started a thread about this in Software posting this link; http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/. At the Bottom. I believe it a bit more now.
post #58 of 149
What are the possibilities of PAL being a new newton-esque handheld? Not a palm, or normal PDA that simply mirrors some types of information (contacts, schedules, etc.), but a wi-fi and bluetooth interface that is a separate and portable link to your desktop at home? Sort of a PDA on meth...or a PDA done right.
post #59 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by piwozniak
Some of u guys would make a career in forensic science....

Pffhh. Thats nothing.

Look here:http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ighlight=iWalk .

We would be able to find WoMDs in Iraq even if there arenĀ“t any.
post #60 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
RosettaStoned started a thread about this in Software posting this link; http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/. At the Bottom. I believe it a bit more now.

I think you've got it. Sounds a little more believeable to me now as well...

as
post #61 of 149
Quote:

I see NO connection to Anywhere Access with this Pal thing. Anywhere Access will be part of .Mac, that appears to be fact. Why would there be a retail box for one aspect of .Mac, which is a service to begin with?

Newton or hoax. I'm still leaning hoax.
post #62 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitzer
I see NO connection to Anywhere Access with this Pal thing. Anywhere Access will be part of .Mac, that appears to be fact. Why would there be a retail box for one aspect of .Mac, which is a service to begin with?

Anywhere access IS part of .mac. Thats just the name they have given their presentation.
post #63 of 149
They would never call a new Newton "pal".

Situation: Your just getting to work, happily tapping on your new Apple PDA. You meet Joe from the cubic next to yours. You show him the PDA you say: "Hi, Joe. Look here its my new Pal".

Nerd. Not Geek.
post #64 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitzer

I don't know, that's why I have been saying that this Pal thing sounds more like a 'feature' of 10.3 and I don't understand the box. But I do however see a connection between "...can take your life on the road..." and "Discover the convenience of accessing your data from any Internet connected computer." You don't see anything similar about these two ideas?
post #65 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders the White
Anywhere access IS part of .mac. Thats just the name they have given their presentation.

At first I was going to write "IS", but then I noticed that they have separate iDisk and iSync presentations. Meaning (to me at least) that Anywhere Access does note equate to iDisk + iSync.

That or there are parts of my .Mac account I haven't discovered.
post #66 of 149
Quote:

Very interesting. From .Mac:
".Mac Presents:
Anywhere Access
Discover the convenience of accessing your data from any Internet connected computer."

They key there is *any internet connected computer*. Sounds like a universal Mac/Windows for .Mac users.
post #67 of 149
Didn't NeXT have some graphical remote login feature? How would Pal compare with Apple's Remote Desktop software?
post #68 of 149
Quote:
I don't know, that's why I have been saying that this Pal thing sounds more like a 'feature' of 10.3 and I don't understand the box. But I do however see a connection between "...can take your life on the road..." and "Discover the convenience of accessing your data from any Internet connected computer." You don't see anything similar about these two ideas?

Sure they seem like similar ideas. That's the problem. I don't see it as a separate product or service. I see it as either part of .Mac or Panther.

A box means a separate product or service. Something substantial like a cool new rebirth of the Newton.

For you conspiracy theorists, is it a coincidence that Pal's logo is a light bulb and the Newton's logo was a light bulb? I think not!!!

Hoax.
post #69 of 149
Fake.

#1 - Apple uses photos of actual object on their box covers. If it's a harddrive - there'd be a pic of it. If it was software there would be a camera, video camera, etc etc.

#2 text is too dark on the side shot
(http://forums.appleinsider.com/attac...&postid=370427)
It looks exactly like skewed text with thick antialiasing in photoshop. Photoshop tends to make text icky if you skew it a lot.

#3 the text on the side of the box is in the wrong perspective.
it should be in a parallelagram shape like the side of a box is.

#4 Type is all wrong. The only thing that has type anything similar to this is .mac. all of the rest of apple's products have a smaller title and subtitle in the top right.
post #70 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by heaven or las vegas
Didn't NeXT have some graphical remote login feature? How would Pal compare with Apple's Remote Desktop software?

NeXT had a couple things. The server hosted user directories, which we have availble in 10.2 server, and NXHost which let you run applications on one computer but have the GUI for the app displayed on another (like X11 windows). Remote Desktop displays the entire screen from one computer onto another. A decidedly different capability.
post #71 of 149
#5 front object is not repeated on the side like all other boxes

#6 the description doesn't actually tell you ANYTHING about what's inside.

Generally, closely cropped shots are fakes.
The real shots have always been full shots from different angles.

Why didn't they show the back?

Because it would require too much copy writing and fake screenshots.

Why didn't they show a full shot?
Because it would be harder to fake and easier to compare to the others - easy to call out bad photoshop skills.

come on kids - iSynch/.Mac already pretty much does this stuff.
post #72 of 149
kid, it's not about syncing.

lets just wait for 10.3, we'll see it then.
post #73 of 149
Hey cinder how much do you get an hour? You sure do work hard trying to find what is fake about it all....but if this does come out as the real Apple product i guess you won't have much of a job anymore

Relax all....remember the MDD PowerMac's? alot said they where fake because of this and that....who knows these may be real....they do look good...and while they do have things that would make one believe they could be fake as well, we will all have to wait ether way to find out

In the end it's not your word against my...it's Apple's Photoshop work against a outsider with too much time on there hands

Frank_t
post #74 of 149
Remember this?

Quote:
They said User at the Center features will make it simpler for individual users to personalize their computing experience and to move seamlessly among Macs and other devices
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #75 of 149
Don't forget ThinkSecret's article about over the air syncing.
post #76 of 149
JLL - yes, everyone knows - including whoever faked this box.

Except they have no more information about it either, so they wrote terrible non-spcific vague copy.

and my normal salary is none of your business.

But my cynic salary is generally between $yeahsurecinder - $you'reprobablyrightcinder a post.
I did the same thing for the iWalk and similar 'fiascos'
I had no comments about the PowerMac shots. Industrial design and cases are not my area of expertise.

I'm seriously telling you that the box IS fake.
It's not an interpretation. The text is geometrically wrong. You know why? Because you can't easily do it in Photoshop. You'd need Illustrator or Freehand to skew it properly to make a better fake.
The design breaks Apple's standards. Period.

This doesn't mean the 'user at the center' software will not come out - but it's very obvious to me and probably you and everyone else that it will be PART of Panther - not an add-on app.
There's no point to making it an add-on app if you're trying to sell new features.

Not to mention - why are they printing boxes for something that obviously requires Panther?
Panther isn't even in beta yet.

I am not questioning the existance of the software - I am just saying that the box, logo, and name are fake.
post #77 of 149
Plus

the typeface is also wrong.
the weight is too heavy - which means it was another version of Lucida made by a different foundry or the wrong 'boldness' of that typeface.

Using a non-specified font is a HUGE no-no.

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/dotmac/dotmac.html
Look at this to compare.

I could go on and on and on and on if you'd like . . .
post #78 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by cinder
the weight is too heavy - which means it was another version of Lucida made by a different foundry or the wrong 'boldness' of that typeface.

Apple doesn't use Lucida for product images. It uses Adobe Myriad.
post #79 of 149
Quote:
#3 the text on the side of the box is in the wrong perspective.
it should be in a parallelagram shape like the side of a box is.

Yeah that does look a little screwy.

Note the position of the "Ill" after pal as a reference for perspective and then the "t" at the end. Its all wrong. The top of the "t" should be pointing down not up to be in proper perspective with the way the box is depicted. Guess why the top of the box is cut off folks

Quote:
#4 Type is all wrong. The only thing that has type anything similar to this is .mac. all of the rest of apple's products have a smaller title and subtitle in the top right.

The kerning on the grey "Pal" is poor. No attention to kerning in a product name... suuuure.

Of course this *could* just be some sort of mock up for a real box but coming from Spymac i doubt it. Nice aqua light bulb exclamation point though...

bah!
bah!
post #80 of 149
well, by counting the links it seems we should have 2 more pics coming to us...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures)