or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures)

'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures) - Page 3

post #81 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by cinder
#5 front object is not repeated on the side like all other boxes

*cough*.mac*cough*
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #82 of 149
wasn't there a rumour ages ago about a piece of apple software (junkyad, scrapyard or something) which would aid in rescuing/fixing your mac?

or did that turn out to be the journal feature?
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #83 of 149
To me, it's the same idea as the Remote Desktop Connection (or whatever it's called) software from Windows but probably doing it more in the way *nix windowing systems can serve up remote displays. I would just assume it does more than this, or somehow allows more features and eases the setup of such things. How it compares and contrasts with Remote Desktop from Apple now I do not know. FWIW, the lightbulb icon looks a bit silly.
post #84 of 149
http://www.toptechtips.net/modules.p...rticle&sid=457

What suppose to be on that page, I can't open it up?
post #85 of 149
No one would create such a perfect illustration of a lightbulb just to mess with the type afterwards. So, you guys may believe it's a fake, but not because of the way it is graphically designed.
post #86 of 149
what can i say, looks legit to me, BUT i was also the ones who thought the leaked cube photos were 100% fake...
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #87 of 149
Brad: Right. My mistake. I got those names confused.

JLL: Yes, I noticed that afterwards.

As for the lightbulb - yeah it's decent.
But there are about 50 billion tutorials out there on how to make Aqua effects - and the lightbulb/blob illustration is nothing spectacular.

The thing is - it Doesnt look like ANYTHING Apple has put out yet.

Not to mention - why isn't the text black on the front?

it's in shadows and dark.

Mock up boxes are not generally full-size, cut, folded final printed boxes.
At least not in my experience.

Still, no one has been able to explain to me why Apple would bundle this feature seperately and prepare it ahead of time before Panther is even in beta.
It's 2-3 months away.

This alone should make it obvious.
post #88 of 149
Quote:
Mock up boxes are not generally full-size, cut, folded final printed boxes.
At least not in my experience.

In fact, they are. You need to know how it looks like. And clients want to experience the real thing before they give you a final OK for print.
Believe me, I have designed hundreds of dummy-boxes in my career so far.
post #89 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Man 020581
http://www.toptechtips.net/modules.p...rticle&sid=457

What suppose to be on that page, I can't open it up?

It looks like a good fake if it is one. I thought the Cube pictures were real, this looks pretty real to me too. Anyway, the post on that site made me cast some doubt on the story they were told for one reason:

"Pal is a small wireless device with a touch sensitive screen, which can remotely login to your desktop Mac. It is suitable for surfing the web on the move."

I don't think Jobs nor anyone else at Apple would think that a small screen (how small?) would be suitable for web browsing, not to mention a vis-a-vis recreation of your desktop. So I don't think that report of what Pal supposedly is could be accurate.

oh, here's the whole entry:

Quote:
Final update & possible idea of what "Pal" is: - This was just sent in to us: Pal is a small wireless device with a touch sensitive screen, which can remotely login to your desktop Mac. It is suitable for surfing the web on the move. When your Mac is out of range, Pal logs in to your .Mac account, to provide limited functionality - hence "forget syncing". It has a pen based input method, using Inkwell, but it is not positioned as a Tablet PC since it does not have an internal hard drive. It's not a Mac replacement, it's a Mac companion. It's not a personal organiser, it's a handy means of accessing your desktop and the Internet wherever you are. It puts our desktop at your fingertips literally because you can see you desktop form a handy hand-held device. The reason they called it Pal rather than iPal is because it's a whole new product category (think Newton, Pipin etc) which is designed to work with both the consumer and pro range. This also explains why the logo and type size are a little different. This is not a box, and this is not the Pal packaging - it's in store POS Don't ask me how I know all this - I just know

This final update goes with what Mac Whispers were talking about last month.

We got sent in a few screenshots (including a box shot) earlier in the day showing off a new piece of Apple software/hardware called 'Pal'. It is being classed as an Internet service software that is basically the "Mac Desktop" for the Internet. Not like .Mac has been for a storing files, but something completely new. Coining the terms:"Illuminate the Internet.""See the Light" "Green Light to the Internet".

Another update: The .Mac website seems to clearly state a "Coming Soon" program that will allow "Anywhere Access" - http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/

The box shot reads:

"Green Light... the Internet... Forget discs. Forget synching... Pal takes your desktop and puts... your fingertips using Mac OS X 10.3... can take your life on the road... use your computer and Pal to fix... problems. So what are you waiting... see the light."

The box had an 'aqua' look lightbulb logo on it in green. We will try to get some more screenshots and post them up later, various other websites have been sent them but Apple's Legal team has asked for them to be removed (Which means they are likely to be real). Update: It is looking more and more like this piece of software or hardware from Apple will basically take your desktop/files and put it on to "Pal" (Assuming it is a Firewire drive or more likely an internet service) and you will be able to access your desktop and all of your preferences from any Panther Mac that has "Pal" installed. Nifty, assuming it doesn't turn out to be fake that is.
post #90 of 149
Quick: I will yield to your expertise on that one.

Now, see - they totally blew it with that supposed new description.
No way is Apple selling this imaginary 'Pal' without a picture of the thing on the box - in a software box that is modeled after the .Mac box.
How convienient. Fits in with their original story that they keep changing. Apparently Apple doesn't really know what it does either?

Plus - that text is terribly written.

MacRumors also moved this one to page2
aka: yup. it's BS.
post #91 of 149
Quote:
Now, see - they totally blew it with that supposed new description.

Full Ack!
The box design looks more or less OK to me. But the rest... NO way!
post #92 of 149
3GPP & the new Quicktime

Could it have to do with that?
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #93 of 149
y'know, i hate to bring up ghosts of old, forgotten rumors... ah hell, no i don't!

from a search of the federal goverment's applications for trademarks, our old friend...

GIGAWIRE

Quote:
Goods and Services
IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Telecommunication services, namely, local and long distance transmission of voice, data, and graphics by means of computer, telephone, telegraphic, cable, and satellite transmission; telecommunication services, namely telecommunications gateway services, ISDN services; cellular telephone communication services; electronic transmission of data and documents via computer terminals, communication by telephone, facsimile transmission; electronic mail (E-MAIL) services; electronic transmission of messages, data and images; electronic communication between computer peripherals and devices; providing electronic information about in the field of telecommunications via the Internet

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: electrical and electronic equipment comprising adapter cards, cables, semiconductors and parts therefor; computer hardware; computers; computer firmware for the transmission of digital data; computer peripheral devices comprising adapter cards, cables, semiconductors, scanners, smart monitors, modems, printers, disk drives, namely fixed, floppy, cartridge and tape drives, CD-ROM drives, CD-Recordable (CD-R) drives, CD-Rewritable (CD-RW) drives; DVD-ROM (Read only DVD) drives, and Rewritable DVD (DVD-RAM) drives; handheld computers; telephones, mobile telephones, telecommunications equipment and devices comprising computer hardware, telephones, personal digital assistant devices, and mobile and handheld digital devices; wireless information devices comprising computer hardware, telephones, personal digital assistant devices, and mobile and handheld digital devices; computer software programs for the transmission of digital data; computer operating programs, computer utility programs; computer utility programs for use with computers, telecommunications equipment and devices and computer peripheral devices...

Owner
(APPLICANT) Apple Computer, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 1 Intinite Loop Cupertino CALIFORNIA 95014

if Pal does exist, it seems Gigawire may be the way to get there.

post #94 of 149
Quote:
"Pal is a small wireless device with a touch sensitive screen, which can remotely login to your desktop Mac. It is suitable for surfing the web on the move."

Hmm. I wonder if they're playing off the rumor from right before the January MacWorld about some sort of handheld device that a reputable source reported on (Cnet? Eweek? I forget, but it talked about a 7 inch screen if I remember).

I'd love for this to be true, but I'm going to remain healthily sceptical since it would be great for me (assuming this thing would actually be able to run Office off your desktop remotely). Mind you, if this thing did work I wonder how it would factor out in my DSL upload/download limit?
post #95 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
well, by counting the links it seems we should have 2 more pics coming to us...

Nope. One is on page 1 of this thread. Three are on page 2 of this thread. That's four. There's a fifth, but it's a dup of one of the others with just a different name.
post #96 of 149
About there should be two more images coming, there were five. They were titled manual, newbox, palboxcloseup, palretailbox, and scanned. But I'm not sure what the scanned one was supposed to be really, because it is different artwork then on the 'box' and 'manual'. I don't think Brad bothered to put up the fifth because the newbox and palretailbox images seemed to be the exact same thing.
[Edit, as Brad said while I was typing.]

The 'a' on the side is completely horrible, let alone the entire word 'Pal' is the wrong color. The rest of the text on the side, as I have said, is skewed incorrectly compared to the rest of the box. The glare from the flash is too high and to the right if you look at where the camera is positioned for such a straight on shot. If you look at the bottom left corner, the edges have a white border. Product boxes have a description on them, not an advertising slogan. I have problems believing pictures of 'future' Apple products where the photos are taken poorly, too close, and off centered. In the case of either the Quicksilvers or the windtunnel G4's (can't remember which, maybe both) pictures that were leaked I was more flexible with the poor quality of the images because I figiured that if they were real they had obviously been taken in a hurry incase they were caught. But this is different, one of the is supposedly scanned, why not just take the time to get a decent shot? And, if you look at my highly technical diagram below, it appears that the flash lightened the logo. But not really washed out like a camera flash wold do, but it almost turns the green to a yellowish color.

This is weird because it looks as if the flash actually affected the aqua in the logo, which wouldn't happen if it were just printed on a box. While I have noticed all of these things, I am allowing for about half of them to just be myself looking for something wrong with it, and I don't 100% doubt it, I'm just really skeptical.
post #97 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Nope. One is on page 1 of this thread. Three are on page 2 of this thread. That's four. There's a fifth, but it's a dup of one of the others with just a different name.

oh, too bad. I thought d linked to 5 different images and then a 6th in his 2nd post...
thats what i get for not checking the links, stupid vB formatting...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #98 of 149
I guess somebody over at MacNN clicked on the iSync link this morning, and on the iSync page discovered this image;

It has since been replaced with an image of Safari, but it's still on that page on the site for Apple Spain. If those stop working I have a screen shot. It's not anything that you can really tell what it is, but it appears to be logged into somebody's .mac mail and have all their Safari bookmarks.
post #99 of 149
by the way, as those of you who frequent adobe photoshop and also do a lot of marketing materials can attest, hardly any images of "product boxes" are legit. often, they are mocked up with such tools as the skew tools in photoshop, just to get a quick comp. that might be what we are seeing here -- pieces of those comps.

but honestly, if i were leaking these photos, why crop out parts of text???

damn, why does wwdc have to STILL be three weeks away?!?!? i don't think i'll last that long...

post #100 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
It's not anything that you can really tell what it is, but it appears to be logged into somebody's .mac mail and have all their Safari bookmarks.

it kinda looks like a gussied-up iChat.

post #101 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
it kinda looks like a gussied-up iChat.

Those features would be a very nice addition to iChat, when was that updated last..? ...
post #102 of 149
Okay, only 20 days left 'til WWDC if it had to be put off for this long, and had to have been kept so secretive (on the QT, and very hush-hush), they had better have the biggests unvailing of the most impressive, latest and greatest fantasticon stuff I ever seen. I hope they're not setting us up for a let down. We'll just have to wait and see.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
post #103 of 149
Didn't the article on TopTechTips.net claim to have a screen shot of the software also? Has anybody seen/heard about this?
post #104 of 149
I've seen materials like these photos in several situations:

1. "Sanitized" packages are often used for packaged goods advertising photography. For examples (at least if you're in the USA), look in the Sunday coupon ad inserts in your local newspaper. Virtually all processed food and cosmetic packages in ads have elements missing such as package weight, bar codes, and product numbers. A sanitized package is much more attractive.

2. Product concepts: an ad agency will often create mock-ups of potential features or products. Sometimes it is done just to give the marketing and marcom people alternative package designs from which to select a final package. Other times it's done for market research: you can describe product concepts to a focus group and show them some prototype packages to help generate feedback. I know that Apple recently has not used focus groups for hardware, but they might still be doing consumer software research.

If this is a concept for remote access to user profiles, it hardly seems to justify unique product packaging. And if it's a combination of hardware and software, I hope the final product has a better name than "Pal".
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
You can never justify the cost of building a bridge by counting the number of people swimming across the river.
post #105 of 149
Pal is the name. It's a play of of Hal from 2001. Basically because it was Dave's constant companion.
post #106 of 149
Some of this skepticism is going way overboard. This isn't the iWalk, it's a box. These elaborate deconstructions are a little silly -- they look to me like hastily taken photographs, with a heavy flash.

Besides, isn't it more telling that how the above product fits into Panther's rumored "User at the Center" direction? And how it connects to the .Mac page "coming soon" graphic promising the same thing? Plus the fact that Apple sent out Cease & Desists right away?

Don't get why it would be in its own packaged box, though, if it's included with 10.3... (Unless it's just a mock-up as suggested above -- but somehow I don't think so.) Perhaps there'll be a seperately packaged version for Windows that costs extra? Perhaps Pal will replace (or eclipse) the marketing for .Mac...?
post #107 of 149
Quote:
I guess somebody over at MacNN clicked on the iSync link this morning, and on the iSync page discovered this image;

It has since been replaced with an image of Safari, but it's still on that page on the site for Apple Spain. If those stop working I have a screen shot. It's not anything that you can really tell what it is, but it appears to be logged into somebody's .mac mail and have all their Safari bookmarks.

HA! http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=25486
post #108 of 149
Since Brad closed the other thread, which was posted in Future Hardware as a discussion about what a possible Pal device might be, but quickly strayed off-topic, I'm going to reply to a post by 709 here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709:
OK. If I get what you're saying, I should compare a 128x128 pixel image to a full blown print graphic? Sorry, been in the biz to long to even consider that. And, by the image you've posted you've illustrated my beef entirely. Even if the iChat icon is meant to be tiny, this new Pal thingy just doesn't have the finesse that the iChat icon has.....even at TINY sizes. You have to see that.

Oh, you are so very Pro! Sorry, I'm not buying it anonymous internet dude. I did not illustrate your beef at all, what you said before referenced the "harsh edges" of the logo. So I brought to the plate a very common icon, also pictured in high resolution in several Apple ads in various magazines and available as a high resolution graphic via Apple's PR site if you download the Jaguar screen shot graphic. The two logos have very similar edges on the reflections and such. Yes, I expect you to compare them since the Pal logo is not very complicated, thus it looks much the same at small resolutions as it does at very high ones. Apple does the very same thing with the .Mac logo you mention. The image they use in print, albeit scaled down, is pasted all over their website and used at low resolutions in the software and operating system. Get over yourself.

Quote:
I only referenced the latest on Apple's pr site, which is usually current give or take a few days.

Those .Mac PR photos are from MWNY 02. Jaguar was released after MWNY 02. And as I pointed out before, the .Mac graphic is a very old, unmodified graphic that dates back to the days of iTools. iTools was released back in the OS 9 days. I think you know better than to say that the .Mac graphic/logo is "current."

Quote:
You've lost me here. You did what? And where?

Christ, I explained it. Reading comprehension! To elaborate further, I copied the "photo" from Preview. I then launched Photoshop, created a new document, and pasted the photo. Then, I used the lasso tool to erase most of the junk around the logo itself, leaving a sort of grayish border with a bit of a gradient to it - not all that pretty. So once again, I used the lasso tool to select the logo itself, only much more precisely this time. I then used the Select menu to select inverse on the image, and then proceeded to set the brightness to 100% in order to reduce the gray. Finally, I used auto color to get back some of the depth the "flash" destroyed.

That good enough for you?

BTW, here is the image I posted comparing the iChat icon/logo and the Pal logo.

post #109 of 149
Let's take a look at various Apple software icons:

Safari = A detailed compass (slightly angled)
iChat = A chat bubble (slightly angled) and AIM dude
Mail = A postage stamp (slightly angled)
iTunes = A CD and musical notes (the basic design of the icon predates the release of OS X 10.0)
iPhoto = A photo (slightly angled) and camera
iMovie = A film slate with an image in it (slightly angled)
iDVD = A film slate with a DVD in it
iCal = A calendar (slightly angled)
Calculator = A calculator
et cetera

This "Pal" icon doesn't tell you anything about the software's job or capabilities.
I can change my sig again!
post #110 of 149
It's a "green light for the internet". In contrast, Safari's icon doesn't make any sense whatsoever. A compass? WTF? It's not a seach engine, what's a compass supposed to be?

.Mac isn't that descriptive. Neither is the finder icon. Or QuickTime. Or X11. All of those icons are the logos for that product, not descriptive. What's the difference between that and "Pal"?

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #111 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto
It's a "green light for the internet". In contrast, Safari's icon doesn't make any sense whatsoever. A compass? WTF? It's not a seach engine, what's a compass supposed to be?

You're not using a compass to search for something, but to navigate.
JLL

JLL

post #112 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto

.Mac isn't that descriptive. Neither is the finder icon. Or QuickTime. Or X11. All of those icons are the logos for that product, not descriptive. What's the difference between that and "Pal"?

Barto

.Mac is a collection of net based services, so the orb with the hub/web icon is as close as you can get to that description.

The Finder isn't something you load yourself. It's ever present. It's the basically face of Mac OS. (The pun was unintentional...I swear.)

QuickTime's icon is a "Q" for "QuickTime" as well as a countdown timer like the ones you see at the beginning of a film.

X11 is not a finished product, but it uses the standard XFree icon inside a window. X11 is more commonly known as X-Windows.
post #113 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
.Mac is a collection of net based services, so the orb with the hub/web icon is as close as you can get to that description.

The Finder isn't something you load yourself. It's ever present. It's the basically face of Mac OS. (The pun was unintentional...I swear.)

QuickTime's icon is a "Q" for "QuickTime" as well as a countdown timer like the ones you see at the beginning of a film.

X11 is not a finished product, but it uses the standard XFree icon inside a window. X11 is more commonly known as X-Windows.

You are right on every count. The fact remains, ALL those icons are very vauge. They are partially descriptive, but much less so than other icons. Similary, if Pal is real, then it's icon is descriptive, but only vaugely (Green Light for the Internet).

Barto

post #114 of 149
Quote:

maybe thats the app that runs on this small screen 'companion' device?

who knows...
post #115 of 149
Quote:
Product boxes have a description on them, not an advertising slogan.

You're saying "The world's most advanced operating system." (bottom text of pre-Jaguar Mac OS X box) is a description? Sounds more like marketing to me.
post #116 of 149
one the second one, why are the balls old stlye aqua, but the light build is new stlye aqua with curvvy shadding>?
post #117 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
maybe thats the app that runs on this small screen 'companion' device?

who knows...

No, it's the webinterface for your bookmarks (.Mac is not yet updated, but it will be soon).
JLL

JLL

post #118 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Nebagakid
one the second one, why are the balls old stlye aqua, but the light build is new stlye aqua with curvvy shadding>?

Because it's a hoax, maybe?
post #119 of 149
Apple hasn't realy shown us much of a "new style" ball (sphere!) yet. For example, we still have the titlebar widgets and .Mac logo, both of which are in the sort of old, plastic-style aqua. I think these balls come closer to the new style aqua than those I mentioned before (mostly because of the "harsh" edge on the reflection.)
post #120 of 149
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
Let's take a look at various Apple software icons:

iTunes = A CD and musical notes (the basic design of the icon predates the release of OS X 10.0)

This disc in the icon is (slightly angled).
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › 'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 (with Pictures)