Okay, how would this be (and how it would change EVERYTHING as we currently know it):
- Apple announces/unveils 970-based PowerMacs on the 23rd. And 970-based PowerBooks. Oh yeah, the iMac and iBook too. And the eMac. Bug off, Motorola...you had your shot.
- Announces 10-20% price cuts on ALL models: iBooks now selling for $899, 17" PowerBook going for about $2799. NOTHING on Apple's roster is over $2799 (talking towers, laptops and iStuff here, not XServe) AND it's all sporting the new chips and architecture. Just BAM, BAM, BAM.
- Announces MASSIVE media-saturating 4-point marketing campaign unlike any of its past lame efforts: 1) the OS 2) the hardware 3) the iApps 4) A Switch campaign done right. Massive presence in major publications, celebrity spokespeople appearing in commercials, etc. All are interchangeable, groupable or standalone. They can overlap as needed: a PowerBook ad or commercial can highlight the snot out of the OS and iDVD. An ad for iPhoto or OS X can featuring awe-inspiring photography or footage of the towers, iBooks, iPod, etc. Just beat the world over the head with imagery, cool new Switch stories, debunk the myths, take no prisoners. Actually, Jobs' statement on stage is pretty much this, verbatim: "Okay, you know...that's IT! No more excuses and no more 'maybe next year'. We're tired of #@%#ing around, playing 'niche market', third-string runner-up and afterthought. That all ends TODAY. Microsoft, Dell, Gateway...we're coming for your ass. Get ready. Oh, there's just one more thing: Mr. Dvorak...you're a tired old hack who doesn't get it and never will. Suck it."
1. New KICK-ASS gear
2. New KICK-ASS pricing for said gear
3. New KICK-ASS, take-no-prisoners, "if you don't own a Mac, you're truly missing out AND you need your head examined for using a PC" marketing
It would change EVERYTHING.Yes, the above is all said with TONGUE PLANTED FIRMLY IN CHEEK and fantasizing for fun a bit on this drizzly Saturday afternoon (in other words, don't bug me about "that won't work because...". Spare me, please. But, by George, doesn't some part of you - the hidden pirate in all of us - just absolutely CRAVE a scenario like the above? Just to see what would happen? It would absolutely rock in every way possible. I'd laugh myself silly, then I'd genuinely tear up because the monumental, far-reaching implications of the above would slowly dawn on me. LOL. The best hardware, the best OS, competitive pricing AND the knowledge that Apple is busting their butt making sure the entire world knows about it all. Truly a new era!
And yes, I've had a beer or two...my better ideas usually come when I'm thinking a bit more freely.