or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AI gets in on the action

AI gets in on the action - Page 6

post #201 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
yes, that is the benefit of having a site run by a cabal of monkeys...apple probably can't figure out who is in charge, why they are in charge or what they are in charge of...AI is modeled after the saddam school of leadership...many fakes and covers and who knows if the person running ai is even alive at all....

g

Actually, that's the US that's being run by a cabal of monkeys that constantly fake and cover up things (i.e., WMD in Iraq, Saddam is a threat, etc.).

Just wanted to keep the facts from going out of control
post #202 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Hmm, Nick Ciarelli - is that the real name of Nick dePlume?

Rothenberg and dePlume have collaborated on articles before, and this is the second Ciarelli / Rothenberg article.

Yeah, good one. And ThinkSecret has a link to the eWeek article, which is quite unusual for ThinkSecret.
post #203 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Yeah, good one. And ThinkSecret has a link to the eWeek article, which is quite unusual for ThinkSecret.

If it is true that Nick helped pen the article, especially in a 'mainstrem' electronic news site, then it seems more and more likely that the rumors are indeed valid.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #204 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

See my post above for additional evidence. The truth is out there.

BTW: I sincerely admire Nick's M.O. and reporting. He doesn't jump the gun like other rumor sites, writes well, keeps a low profile, has managed to hide his own identity until now, protects his sources, and, above all, has a most impressive track record of accuracy. Kudos.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #205 of 376
Os News article pulled (same reference to Appleinsider)

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3735
post #206 of 376
That eweek article doesn't sound to good. I hope it's not true.

Oh and Junkyard dawg I'd have to say the US is being run by worse than just a cabal of monkeys...more like a cabal a snakes. Or panda bears....no that was clinton sorry.
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #207 of 376
SlacJackWhispers says they're singles too, bummer, guess a couple month wait still for real machines.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #208 of 376
I'm glad I bought this Tibook when I did. I would be waiting for months to get a G5 PowerBook. If the PowerMacs are not even going to be ready until july when 10.2.7 is done, I would hate to think how long it is going to be before we see G5 PowerBooks.
post #209 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc
SlacJackWhispers says they're singles too, bummer, guess a couple month wait still for real machines.

That's a believable sounding rumour. The performance numbers are inline with what I'd expect, given what we know.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #210 of 376
According to Whispers:

"The plant contracted for assembly of the new 15.4-inch Powerbook has just now begun manufacturing production Powerbooks with the PPC 970 processor."

The other quote I like:

"...overall performance approximately 1.25 to 1.5 times that of a similarly clocked G4 on non-Altivec optimized applications. On Altivec optimized tasks, these machines have as much as 2 to 2.5 times the through performance as a similarly clocked G4. Our understanding is that this performance is occurring using bone-stock OS X 10.2.6 on pre-production single processor PPC 970 machines... an OS with none of the optimization now being rumored as being needed for supporting the PPC 970's performance potential."

These are very specific pieces of info. He'll be either a rumor God or worse than MOSR in a few weeks-We'll see.
post #211 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
According to Whispers:
Our understanding is that this performance is occurring using bone-stock OS X 10.2.6 on pre-production single processor PPC 970 machines... an OS with none of the optimization now being rumored as being needed for supporting the PPC 970's performance potential."

These are very specific pieces of info. He'll be either a rumor God or worse than MOSR in a few weeks-We'll see.

Sounds great, but fishy. Would a PPC 970 box even run 10.2.6? Apple would have to introduce some under-the-hood changes to support the new motherboard.
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #212 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Daver
Sounds great, but fishy. Would a PPC 970 box even run 10.2.6? Apple would have to introduce some under-the-hood changes to support the new motherboard.

The hardware support is just a kernel extension or patch which Apple's software guys can probably apply to any version of Jaguar since it will touch only specific areas of the OS. What do you think they test new hardware with before the official OS revision is produced for public consumption? We do things like this all the time -- for development purposes you hack in the changes so that you can test. Its only when being "released" to a wider audience that a new version number is called for and a proper build is done.
post #213 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
The hardware support is just a kernel extension or patch which Apple's software guys can probably apply to any version of Jaguar since it will touch only specific areas of the OS. What do you think they test new hardware with before the official OS revision is produced for public consumption? We do things like this all the time -- for development purposes you hack in the changes so that you can test. Its only when being "released" to a wider audience that a new version number is called for and a proper build is done.

Thanks for clearing that up -- makes complete sense, I guess.

I do find it interesting that SIMD performance is claimed to be 22.5x greater, considering that the 970 has an AltiVec unit more akin to the 7400's than the superior 7450's. Makes you think about just how bandwidth-starved the G4 really is for vector operations.
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #214 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Why I won't call the 970, the 'G5.'

The G5 is Motorola. The past. Apple marketing may want to call the 970 the 'G5' but it isn't.

I'd still like to call it the '970'

Nice big number.

Yeah, a nice big number that means absolutely nothing. 970 as opposed to what, 870? It's an internal IBM code name that has absolutley ZERO marketing value. Carrying the engineering code name through as the actual retail product name is the brain dead domain of Wintel manufacturers.

"Hi, I'd like to buy a PC."

"Sure, would you like the HP a250y, or the Compaq S4000NX, or maybe a VAIO GRX700?"

AARRGGHHH

The number 970 is meaningless to everyone on the planet except the 112 Mac geeks that read rumor sites. It is a disaster for the general public.

Yes, G5 was the old Motorola chip that was cancelled. Yes, Motorola sucks ass. The only people with a bad association with the term G5 are those same 112 Mac geeks. The guy in the street couldn't care less.

The current Macs are G4s. The current PCs are P4s. The new Macs will be G5s. It's one louder. Joe six pack "gets it" in two seconds. End of story.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #215 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
The number 970 is meaningless to everyone on the planet except the 112 Mac geeks that read rumor sites. It is a disaster for the general public.

Yes, G5 was the old Motorola chip that was cancelled. Yes, Motorola sucks ass. The only people with a bad association with the term G5 are those same 112 Mac geeks. The guy in the street couldn't care less.

The current Macs are G4s. The current PCs are P4s. The new Macs will be G5s. It's one louder. Joe six pack "gets it" in two seconds. End of story.

Hmm, I guess G5 it is...(Much to my disgust) but they really do need to 'sexify' the name... We need an add on bit at the end or something...

We've done Xtreme and all that, we need something more aggressive, more kick ass, something that will strike fear into the hearts of the general population, hell even into us, part of the '112 Brotherhood'...

Like Motorbikes.

Would the Honda CBR900RR be anything without it's moniker 'Fireblade'?

The Suzuki GSX1300R sounds crap, but if say 'Hayabusa'... Hmmm, it gets infinitely better.

Kawasaki ZX6-R, Hmm, lacking. Ninja! Muhahaha!

I could go on and on...

We need the Powermac G5 Type R, an STi... Something that will make grown men pale in fear... A situation befitting the new chip.

Something like the moniker 'EVO'!! and a new name for each model in the range...

I can see the advertising slogans now:

Powermac Evo 5 - Think Different? No. Think Evisceration!

Let us all shed our 'multi colour' iSoft image, and start to kick ass!!

Hmmm, actually, then again, maybe not. Got a bit carried away there...

Peace,

Marc
post #216 of 376
Ohhh, good idea! Let me try!

Powermac XG9000i DISINTIGRATOR
Powermac W8800 TRANSMORGIFIER
Powermac X777Pi CIPHER
Powermac RDF300ts EVENT HORIZON

Heh, this is harder than it looks.
post #217 of 376
How about calling it the Power Mac WMD.

There is a killer buzzword!
post #218 of 376
Powermac G5 "RAVAGER OF THE INNOCENT"

Powermac G5 "KILLER OF FASCIST-PIGS"

Powermac G5 "SHIVA THE DESTROYER"

Powermac G5 "THE CONVICTED ASS-RAPER"
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #219 of 376
Well, now, the byline for the Mac OS X forum is "The g5 is my preecioussss..." I love the newly accurate (presumably) front-page articles. But I love the little hints dropped here on the message boards even more. They're fun. And they're going to make the two-week wait easier on us. Keep it up, Brad! Thanks as well to the other mods and admins who are responsible for the creative and information drive behind this new campaign of hints.

Escher
post #220 of 376
I see real potential here

I favour JYD's Powermac Evo 5 'FQ' - The TRANSMOGRIFIER'. It has a certain 'style'...

It would be an awesome intro WWDC speech too, I can see it now:

Quote:
"Steve: Oh and one more thing..."

The word TRANSMOGRIFICATION appears on the large screen behind Steve, with the following definition...

<Cue: Dimmed lighting, clap of thunder, Mozart, Dry Ice.>

"trans·mog·ri·fy Pronunciation Key__(trns-mgr-f, trnz-)
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies
To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre."

Steve steps out, and says "I present something you have all been waiting for... The Powermac Evo 5. But hey, that doesn't describe it at all. Here at Infinite Loop, we like to call it 'The TRANSMOGRIFIER!!'

<Cue: AC/DC - Highway to Hell. Run video clip of of the machine running Maya and Photoshop, interspersed with pics of Pentium boxes spontaniously exploding, and Pentium guys in Silver suit getting mown down by a shock wave...>

"Phil, come out here for this benchmark test, Whoa! don't stand too close to the machine, you know this thing can be vicious..."

Hammer? Meh. Northwood? Meh. Prepare to be TRANSMOGRIFIED!!

<Explosion at the back of the stage, (Like the 1984 Commercial) and through the hole in the screen/stage emerges the TRANSMOGRIFIER!!>

Best. Keynote.Ever.

Peace,

Marc

Note to self, when stuck at home ill, cut waayyy back on the coffee and Dayquil...
post #221 of 376
More on topic, I think that PowerMac G5--and PowerBook G5, of course--is a fine name for a PPC 970-based Mac. It's simple and shows a clear progression from the G4, which we've been stuck with for several years now.

There's no need for silly marketing people to make the name any longer or complicated. E.g., I can't stand AirPort Extreme. It's about as (un-) intelligent as "fast, new, automatic" [insert your favorite kitchen appliance here].

Escher
post #222 of 376
I hope that with this new bus you won't have to wait for ages and then three come along at once.

(I smell big disappointment to come).
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
post #223 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
More on topic, I think that PowerMac G5--and PowerBook G5, of course--is a fine name for a PPC 970-based Mac. It's simple and shows a clear progression from the G4, which we've been stuck with for several years now.

There's no need for silly marketing people to make the name any longer or complicated. E.g., I can't stand AirPort Extreme. It's about as (un-) intelligent as "fast, new, automatic" [insert your favorite kitchen appliance here].

Escher

On a more serious note, I personally think now is time for a change. To me, and alot of other people, the 'G' range now stands for 'Granite Mill Stone' around our necks. Yep, the '5' shows progression, but one that should have happened years ago...

It didn't harm AMD to change their speed/name, why not Apple?

Also if IBM use the 970 Moniker for ny of their Blade servers or anything, the connection with Apple will only do the Powermacs sales good... We won;t e seen to be using left field archtecture and chips because 'IBM' uses the same...

I do agree however that it should be a simple name. I like Powermac 970.

Peace,

Marc
post #224 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Let us all shed our 'multi colour' iSoft image, and start to kick ass!!

Hmmm, actually, then again, maybe not. Got a bit carried away there...

Yellow and black Power Macs. Rubber grips on the handles. Big stainless steel bolts on the optical drive doors. Safety orange power cords and monitor cables. Modified Apple logo that doesn't merely have a bite taken out of it, it looks like a bite has been ripped out of it.

Power Mac G5 Ultra Smackdown. Yeah. Feel the testosterone! Smell the power!
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #225 of 376
Quote:
Well, now, the byline for the Mac OS X forum is "The g5 is my preecioussss..."

Heh, I saw that... so was he over reading my post at Ars, or what? 8)
post #226 of 376
< --- happiness

<--- no money for new PowerMac

-Bio
||||||||||||||||||||Bioflavonoid|||||||||||||||||||| bob.scifihifi.com
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste." -Steve Jobs
My tribute to Apple: http://bob.scifihifi.com/graphics...
||||||||||||||||||||Bioflavonoid|||||||||||||||||||| bob.scifihifi.com
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste." -Steve Jobs
My tribute to Apple: http://bob.scifihifi.com/graphics...
post #227 of 376
I just wondered about the 'G5' only being singles in the towers. It would be nice to have a Powerbook G5 alongside. Maybe that's where some of the ramp up cpus have gone? Just a thought.

I think it would be far more impressive to roll out two towers (no pun intended) at 1.4 and 1.8, have them single...and a 15 inch Powerbook G5 to really 'WOW' the 'Year of the Laptop!'

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #228 of 376
If there's only one 970 PB, and there may be, then it will be the 17! 15" may move to Al,witht he current 17" guts and features and a lower price. 970 slots into the 17 for the highend mobile buyer
IBL!
IBL!
post #229 of 376
Quote:
It's about as (un-) intelligent as "fast, new, automatic" [insert your favorite kitchen appliance here].

Totally offtopic but you just reminded me of these guys:

http://www.retina.net/%7Etilde/new_fads/
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #230 of 376
post #231 of 376
Definitely agree AirSluf. The 15" is the sweetspot of the laptop line. It needs an update and I think it will be first in Apples laptop lineup to get the 970.

When it comes out, I am trading in my 12" PB and getting one. I am not traveling as much and now I need the screen real estate.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #232 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
If there's only one 970 PB, and there may be, then it will be the 17! 15" may move to Al,witht he current 17" guts and features and a lower price. 970 slots into the 17 for the highend mobile buyer

I'd take it in a 15", don't want some big thing to carry around. Want to plug the 15" into my LCD and usb keyboard/mouse off-site and have sufficient CPU power to get my work done.

(edit: and I'll take one over a single-cpu PowerMac if that's what comes out.)
----- Fred Blassie 1964
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #233 of 376
yes...i see that if the towers are single chip 970s and the powerbooks are single chip 970s...boy it will really be the year of the laptop...the only people getting towers would be people who must have upgrade paths, extra slots and hot graphics cards...and maybe some business that don't trust their employees with a mobile computer...laptops and displays for everyone else...wheeeee...maybe the cube idea and desire is dying in me...i really wanted one, but a portable that is powerful and a display at home that is nice would be the best deal for most people...and apple too as they would sell portables (that carry a premium over towers due to size) and displays....

the hell with pdas...soon everyone will carry a computer with them everywhere...

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #234 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
Definitely agree AirSluf. The 15" is the sweetspot of the laptop line. It needs an update and I think it will be first in Apples laptop lineup to get the 970.

When it comes out, I am trading in my 12" PB and getting one. I am not traveling as much and now I need the screen real estate.

I'm the same. My 12" PB will probably be traded for the 15" when it comes out assuming there is a 970 inside...
post #235 of 376
Quote:
Coming out with a 15" 970 first followed by 17" 970 PB at a reasonably short delay

I think I agree that this is the likely scenario and agree with the rest of your reasoning.

Sticking a 1 gig G4 in a 15 inch Powerbook would be virtually pointless. Who's gonna buy it just because it has AL casing? What's new? 970s are being made now. They can be put in an 'obviously' delayed 15 inch Powerbook. I don't think the delay is down to an ATI graphics card or inventory. I think it's more to do with impact: the kind the 970 AND a nice new ATI mobility can provide.

A swift migration to a low-power 970 is the kind of momentum/growth inducing introduction the Powerbooks need. Instead of getting the 'next great thing' behind the curve and a 'nice blip' of sales for half a year...they need to introduce something big. Scalable. And(!) keep the heat on!

A dual Powerbook/Tower intro' would signify a new, agressive Apple. And mark out their intent.

Apple would be stupid not to take advantage of a low power 970 now. With appropriate 'speed step' tech' it would be just as good if not far better than the 'penis-burning' Dell laptops.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #236 of 376
I wonder what happens to the 17 inch powerbook if 15 goes 970...

Well one things for sure the powermacs are gonna be hard to get...Quark is out now and alot of professionals have been waiting to get an upgrade. Damn I hope i can get one.
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #237 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by DiscoCow
Powermac G5 "RAVAGER OF THE INNOCENT"

Powermac G5 "KILLER OF FASCIST-PIGS"

Powermac G5 "SHIVA THE DESTROYER"

Powermac G5 "THE CONVICTED ASS-RAPER"

Whoa! Now it's starting to sound like PC graphics cards! +
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
post #238 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by O and A
I wonder what happens to the 17 inch powerbook if 15 goes 970...

Sales of the 17 AND 15 will be slow anyway when a 970 tower is introduced. Everyone will know it's just a matter of time until the processor migrates to the laptops. I say it's better to have one (15-inch) PowerBook with the 970 than no 970 laptops at all.

I think overall this transition is going to be a bit ragged and some lines are going to suffer until the upgrade paths are clearer.
post #239 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
...fast motorcycles

...fast cars

...now I miss my car again. sigh. Well, a fast computer (and fast women, of course) can make up for that.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #240 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by stupider...likeafox
Totally offtopic but you just reminded me of these guys:

http://www.retina.net/%7Etilde/new_fads/

You won't believe it, stupider...likeafox, but I was actually thinking about the New Fast Automatic Daffodils when I chose my words. I just got the order of the adjectives wrong because I hadn't heard their name in a long time. Of course, their name is creative by virtue of the implied social commentary, unlike AirPort Extreme.

Escher
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AI gets in on the action