or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AI gets in on the action

AI gets in on the action - Page 7

post #241 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Yeah, a nice big number that means absolutely nothing. 970 as opposed to what, 870? It's an internal IBM code name that has absolutley ZERO marketing value. Carrying the engineering code name through as the actual retail product name is the brain dead domain of Wintel manufacturers.

[snip]

End of story.

Why so touchy?

I was talking about why I won't call it the 'G5,' not Apple. Apple can call it whatever they damn want to. If I want to call it the 970 because that's what it is running then that's my choice.

I don't care if Apple calls it the Flowerpowertower as long as they release it.

Don't get your panties in a knot.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #242 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Why so touchy?

I was talking about why I won't call it the 'G5,' not Apple. Apple can call it whatever they damn want to. If I want to call it the 970 because that's what it is running then that's my choice.

I don't care if Apple calls it the Flowerpowertower as long as they release it.

Sorry, thought you were proposing it as a marketing name as many others have.

Calling the new towers anything other than G5s is just so dumb, it gets me all riled up.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #243 of 376
Name, schname.

'G5'. Apple were never really going to call it any other with a customer base of millions upon millions on G3/G4 systems. It's easy. Even I get it!

The 'infamous' G5 hits home.

I wanted a 'G5'. I think I'll finally be able to get one relatively soon. The 'G4' debacle will be soon behind us...and it won't be a 'Moto' CPU...so I will be a proud G5 owner when I see it smash Pentium 4s, Photoshop, Lightwave and all in its path...

The G5. The true inheritor of the 'G3' Pentium Snail Roasting Mantle.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #244 of 376
Quote:
Sorry, thought you were proposing it as a marketing name as many others have.

Calling the new towers anything other than G5s is just so dumb, it gets me all riled up.

It's cool.

I don't think we will really care what they are called as long as they are released.

Re 970 Marketing Name: If you notice, the current towers are called the Powermac G4. I think the 'Powermac 970' name is too long. Just shorten it to Powermac. Simple. Sweet.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #245 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
The G5. The true inheritor of the 'G3' Pentium Snail Roasting Mantle.

Lemon Bon Bon

I can see it now...2 years down the road...

PC User: Hey, yeah you Apple guys finally caught up with us with the 970/G5 and it's succesors, but remember the G4 debacle?

Us: Errrr....the G4 was an 'ersatz' solution.....errrr....yeah that's it...it wasn't really the replacement for the G3...

j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #246 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
We've done Xtreme and all that, we need something more aggressive, more kick ass, something that will strike fear into the hearts of the general population, hell even into us, part of the '112 Brotherhood'...

Introducing . . . The PowerMac G5 BURNiNATOR!
Goats and Monkeys!
Goats and Monkeys!
post #247 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by joek
Os News article pulled (same reference to Appleinsider)

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3735

And the MacBidouille article that mentioned the AI article is also gone now - Apple seeems to have problems getting the original article removed
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #248 of 376
Anyone else think that new AI frontpage rumor is *slightly* odd?
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #249 of 376
kasper jade redux:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=115

its written as a story...

post #250 of 376
creepy.

all they need is a one-liner about an Apple PDA and you've got every major rumor from the past six months in one nice story.
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #251 of 376
nice job, and "whoa!"
post #252 of 376
Wow, that article sounds like one of Junkyard's posts!

This caught my eye:

"The front of machine is flourished by this mesh metallic surface..."

Mesh, drool.

post #253 of 376
Quote:
Wow, that article sounds like one of Junkyard's posts!

This caught my eye:

"The front of machine is flourished by this mesh metallic surface..."

Mesh, drool.

Say it ain't so!

Isn't Photoshop fun?
j00u = twh funnay.
j00u = twh funnay.
post #254 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights
...now I miss my car again. sigh. Well, a fast computer (and fast women, of course) can make up for that.

Yeah, except that a fast car helps one get fast women, whereas a fast computer actually is known to interfere with one's ability to get fast women...
post #255 of 376
JYD...
that is soooo true!
that's why i have a ibook and a semi fast car,
i can only imagine what will happen when i get a 970 and chip my car!
post #256 of 376
sounds like kasper has been lurking next to the bar a little longer than he admits *slosh*
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #257 of 376
I notice that Kasper, an administrator, is lurking here on the AI boards, but has 0 posts.
post #258 of 376
I think the latest front page is hysterical.

Kinda like the Naked Mole Rat. Also reminds me of Appleturns.com

Turn what you've heard into a fictional story and nobody can get on ya.

Cam. and iChat with video.
970 Tower.
Adjustable LCDs.
Was the 15.4 970 Powerbook in there too?
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
A Fair and Balanced Liberal

John Kerry for President
post #259 of 376
Front page story stripped of "drunken evesdropping" parts

"Its gonna be awesome. The company is going to introduce more new hardware and software products at [WWDC] than any other [recent] event."

"They are bringing the 15" [PowerBook] model up to design spec with the other two models...faster chips."

"[The Power Mac G5 is] beautiful, all silver and graphite in color, there is no more chrome or clear plastic on the casing. It actually still retains the 4 handles but they are thinner and less extrusive. The front of machine is flourished by this mesh metallic surface, with the super drive now higher up on the case."

"[Apple is working on a] video conference bundle. The steam quality is great. Peer to peer MPEG 4 video conference streaming with iChat and [a] slick little camera."

"They are moving File Maker back in-house." "Apparently File Maker was bleeding money." "They laid off...a bunch of [workers] before they began the move. They didn't even give [them] a damn severance package or nothing."

"[Apple has finished] new displays. [The current] non-adjustable Cinema Displays [are] brutal [in comparison]!"

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #260 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardf12
kasper jade redux:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=115

its written as a story...

A crazy story that is either lightly disguised fact wrapped around the pretext of a corny story or a corny story about every rumor of the past month.
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
post #261 of 376
The new 15" Powerbook was in there but no specific mention of what kind of chip.
I'm making plastics right now!
post #262 of 376
Well, we know that the iChat/camera thing is probably real, because Think Secret had to pull it at the behest of Apple. We don't know if the description of the G5 case is real, but we know that the G5 itself may well be. The only two rumours that have serious doubts are adjustable displays and the 15.4" PowerBook (even then, it's more a question of when and with what CPU the PowerBook will arrive).
post #263 of 376
Quote:
he new 15" Powerbook was in there but no specific mention of what kind of chip.

didn't they say 'bring it up to spec"

this of course begs the question, which spec, today's or june 23rd's.
post #264 of 376
Surprised that no one is grasping FileMaker coming back into the fold. Can anyone say Office for Mac killer?
post #265 of 376
I can. guess document and the "database" were true rumors...
post #266 of 376
and they will be cocoa for Uber-Plan Marklar
post #267 of 376
I've been saying for awhile that Filemaker would have to be pulled in to complete the new Office Suite, if Apple elects to go that route.

Filemaker's CEO was recently quoted as saying he was looking forward to seeing what WWDC would bring. I can't believe the CEO of an Apple owned software company wouldn't know what was planned for release at WWDC (at least not in the software arena.)

He's obviously playing dumb. Which makes me think the Gobe Guys must be making good progress.

And if Apple actually intends to go head-to-head with MS Office after all these years. Version 1.0 had better be very, very, good.

Competing with Office has always been a direct assault on Redmond. And they will respond accordingly.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #268 of 376
Filemaker 7 perhaps?
post #269 of 376
post #270 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto

"[Apple has finished] new displays. [The current] non-adjustable Cinema Displays [are] brutal [in comparison]!"

Barto

I'm confused as I can adjust my 23" just fine
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #271 of 376
Yeah, but the Studio & Cinema displays have arthritis compared to the nimble iMac, and even quite a few other "PC" displays.
post #272 of 376
Have you played with the 23"? It can slant backward pretty damn far, farther at an angle then I need it to go. That's adjustable to me as I don't need a 23" display to move up and down, simple titled as it currently does on the 23".
post #273 of 376
I'm curious as to how an adjustable cinema display would work. Would it use a big base? It would need something fairly substantial to support its bottom to let someone push and pull the display around. A screw mounted option would be tight, to let the display hang from the underside of a cabinet or be suspended from a wall. What do you guys think?
post #274 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by bih
I'm curious as to how an adjustable cinema display would work.

I have two ideas, neither of which is ideal. Well three.

One, copy whatever someone else in the industry is doing.
Two, do an iMac like adjustment that can attach to the G5 case.
Three, a solid frame with an inlaid screen that can move quite a lot more than the current models.

Just thinking outside the box. I'm not advocating anything.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #275 of 376
Someone sells a wall mount kit for the displays, if I had the space and need for it, I'd mount mine to the wall.
post #276 of 376
I think an adjustable flat panel from Apple wouldn't be based on any sort of arm or "swing lever" thing at all. It'll probably sit in some ingeniously designed "rocker" cradle (that looks 30 times cooler than anyone could imagine or mock up) and with just a push of a finger (like on the LCD iMacs) allows you to both spin the display around (left to right) AND tilt it back and forward.

I tell you, the absolute, hands-down best thing on this iMac of mine is the screen. Having that flexability to place it EXACTLY how you want it, depending on what you're working on (if you're working at all), if you're in a slouching, "listening-to-music-slumped-down-in-your-chair" mood or if you're sitting up straight and really going to town on something. I can do all that and this screen goes right along with me.

And it's a shame that only iMac users have that cool option. Having Cinema Displays that you can rotate and tilt to your hearts content just adds to their coolness factor by about a gazillion points.
post #277 of 376
I drew this a while back, and I've often thought something along these lines could work:

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/.Pic...ps/display.jpg

Don't get too hung up on the look or whatever...drew it over a year ago. I'm talking theory and overall idea here : display sits nestled inside a wide "u" frame, joined to the display sides.

At this point, this allows for back and forth tilt on that particular joint or point. Then the "u" bar itself is mounted into some sort of base which allows for side-to-side pivot or spinning.

Take into account some sort of stronger, more stable base unit and maybe a more elegant rocker/hinge design and you see what I'm talking about.

The illustration conveys it pretty clearly.
post #278 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
Have you played with the 23"? It can slant backward pretty damn far, farther at an angle then I need it to go. That's adjustable to me as I don't need a 23" display to move up and down, simple titled as it currently does on the 23".

True. But it is cumbersome to do so, hence the arthritis. The iMac's display can be moved into position with the light touch of a fingertip. Something like pscates' mockup would probably be a lot easier to position.

In using an FP iMac, I find that I am constantly adjusting the display depending on how I sit. I don't sit so I'm perfectly aligned with the screen, I sit however and wherever I like and move the display to suit me. Pscates is right, the best feature is that slick little arm.
post #279 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by job
Anyone else think that new AI frontpage rumor is *slightly* odd?

Whatever, it's all in good fun. seriously would you like it better if there was a simple, plain text written report stating the facts and nothing more.

personally, if I had any inside info that I was going to leak, I'd leak it in the most odd-ball way I could think of. I've watched how mac-lots react, like a pack of starving wolves fighting for a slab of meat. eesh

I'm glad that all this stuff is happening. good stuff.

Also, I'm sure slaptech has a lot to do with it
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #280 of 376
You know, to say that the M$ business unit has been "quiet" is the understatement of the year......maybe THEY'VE even decided to quit trying.....
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AI gets in on the action