or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AI gets in on the action
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AI gets in on the action - Page 9

post #321 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Hmm, I guess G5 it is...(Much to my disgust) but they really do need to 'sexify' the name... We need an add on bit at the end or something...

We've done Xtreme and all that, we need something more aggressive, more kick ass, something that will strike fear into the hearts of the general population, hell even into us, part of the '112 Brotherhood'...

Like Motorbikes.

Would the Honda CBR900RR be anything without it's moniker 'Fireblade'?

The Suzuki GSX1300R sounds crap, but if say 'Hayabusa'... Hmmm, it gets infinitely better.

Kawasaki ZX6-R, Hmm, lacking. Ninja! Muhahaha!

Heck, lets put a spoiler on the box, we're sure to get more ghz then!
post #322 of 376
how about a horizontal flywheel spinning at the base of a monitor stand- the gyroscopic effect would stop it tipping over.

Of course you could never turn off the monitor.

What the heck why not a couple of hard drives instead of the flywheel

Or make the base fom depleted uranium- that should be heavy enough.
Call it the activeX

...or two repelling magnetic fields so the monitor floats
___
John
Reply
___
John
Reply
post #323 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie John
how about a horizontal flywheel spinning at the base of a monitor stand- the gyroscopic effect would stop it tipping over.

Of course you could never turn off the monitor.

What the heck why not a couple of hard drives instead of the flywheel

Or make the base fom depleted uranium- that should be heavy enough.
Call it the activeX

?or two repelling magnetic fields so the monitor floats

Oh, God! I had to pick myself off the floor after reading that! ROTFLMFAO!
post #324 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
Oh puh-lease, they still use os9. don't you understand? they're denying it because they'll freak out when they'll finally have to upgrade to osX. they are emotionally stuck in the nineties...

I believe you are incorrect. The appleturns folks definetely use OS X.
They have a 12 inch powerbook (X only) bought from Jeopardy winnings.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #325 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
I'm sorry, but have you seen a 23"? If you had you'd never put a $2000 monitor on a flimsy little base like that. This thing is 20 something pounds and may balance straight up and down but will surely fall forward or backwards at simple force applied to it. The base is not wide or heavy enough to secure it to the desk.

I'm sorry, but have you seen a 17" iMac?

If you had, you'd realize that the iMac screen is very, very light, and that a lot of the weight of the base is not the hard drive and motherboard, but the POWER SUPPLY and the heat sinks and shielding associated with it.... Furthermore, you might realize that the POWER SUPPLY is a major component of the weight of the 23"


PS
KidRed, you live anywhere near Boca Raton? Looks like you're getting a new Apple Store
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #326 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
I'm sorry, but have you seen a 17" iMac?

If you had, you'd realize that the iMac screen is very, very light, and that a lot of the weight of the base is not the hard drive and motherboard, but the POWER SUPPLY and the heat sinks and shielding associated with it.... Furthermore, you might realize that the POWER SUPPLY is a major component of the weight of the 23"


PS
KidRed, you live anywhere near Boca Raton? Looks like you're getting a new Apple Store

Yea but the imac isn't a widescreen and we're talking another 6", that's a lot. Let's not also forget the base of the iMac in a lot bigger then what's in those mock ups, that's what i was commenting on. I even posted a few pics showing what bases would support the 23" IMO. I know the iMac screen is light, but make it 23" widescreen and take away that massive 20lb base and see what happens.

I'm in Orlando and we got out store end of last year Florida has a hell of a lot of stores now, 5-6 I think.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #327 of 376
Agreed, RE the mock-ups. I expect to see a base about the size of the 17" iMac (which IS widescreen BTW), perhaps a little bit heavier.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #328 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
I'm sorry, but have you seen a 23"? If you had you'd never put a $2000 monitor on a flimsy little base like that. This thing is 20 something pounds and may balance straight up and down but will surely fall forward or backwards at simple force applied to it. The base is not wide or heavy enough to secure it to the desk.

a) no I haven't seen a 23" b) here's an idea: for the 23" model, maybe there can be a LARGER, HEAVIER base c) in any case, RELAX and be nice



I think I said earlier that it was just an "idea" and not to get hung up on too many details and specifics. I just used a popular widescreen (17"?) for my second drawing, figuring that if a metal pole can hold it, then my idea could.

It's the IDEA of a jointed/swinging mid-point which, in turn, is attached to a base unit...allowing for side-to-side pivot and back-and-forth tilt.

But yes, you're right...the 23" display would probably have a slightly different base to properly support it because I'd imagine they're quite huge. But I didn't feel like drawing all three models, so you get what you see.
post #329 of 376
On a related note, I bought a cool lamp from IKEA about four years ago. A jointed, chrome arm thing with a neat light at the end that swivels everwhere.

Anyway, this lamp could be mounted in two ways: came with a clamping adaptor that you stuck the bottom part of the "arm" into and then clamped to any desk or table.

OR

It came with this little base that was 6", maybe even 8" inches round (a perfect circle). It had a hold in the middle where you could stick a mating piece of the lamp arm into it and you'd have the lamp on your desk.

Here's the thing: it was smaller than a 45RPM record BUT it was the heaviest thing I'd EVER seen at that size.

So maybe there are materials, weight-distribution calculation and physics-based solutions out there that allow for a small, compact base of sufficient weight/mass/spread to hold a larger LCD properly and safely?

I need to weigh that lamp base sometime. But it's amazing. You think it'll be like picking up an ashtray or a can of soda. It's more like an entire 12-pack or even a CASE of soda! I don't know what material it is or anything (feels metallic (cold and "dings" when you tap it with a key or something), but also feels "chiseled" or scuplted, like a rock or something. Very unusual.

Kinda like those small barbells that are the size of a jellyroll and weight 30lbs.

post #330 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
On a related note, I bought a cool lamp from IKEA about four years ago. A jointed, chrome arm thing with a neat light at the end that swivels everwhere.

Anyway, this lamp could be mounted in two ways: came with a clamping adaptor that you stuck the bottom part of the "arm" into and then clamped to any desk or table.

I think I have that same lamp. It's grey/silver right? I love it.
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
post #331 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
On a related note, I bought a cool lamp from IKEA about four years ago. A jointed, chrome arm thing with a neat light at the end that swivels everwhere.

Anyway, this lamp could be mounted in two ways: came with a clamping adaptor that you stuck the bottom part of the "arm" into and then clamped to any desk or table.

OR

It came with this little base that was 6", maybe even 8" inches round (a perfect circle). It had a hold in the middle where you could stick a mating piece of the lamp arm into it and you'd have the lamp on your desk.

Here's the thing: it was smaller than a 45RPM record BUT it was the heaviest thing I'd EVER seen at that size.

So maybe there are materials, weight-distribution calculation and physics-based solutions out there that allow for a small, compact base of sufficient weight/mass/spread to hold a larger LCD properly and safely?

I need to weigh that lamp base sometime. But it's amazing. You think it'll be like picking up an ashtray or a can of soda. It's more like an entire 12-pack or even a CASE of soda! I don't know what material it is or anything (feels metallic (cold and "dings" when you tap it with a key or something), but also feels "chiseled" or scuplted, like a rock or something. Very unusual.

Kinda like those small barbells that are the size of a jellyroll and weight 30lbs.


Just put a Mercury based liqud cooling unit in the base, that should do it....
post #332 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -
I think I have that same lamp. It's grey/silver right? I love it.

Yeah, I think that's it. Actually mine is (don't laugh...what do you expect) orange (the housing for the light. But the arm is chrome. But yes, they made them in orange, blue and - for lack of a better word - graphite. They were translucent housings, so it had that iLook to it (this was back during the iFruit era).

Sounds like we have the same one. They still make them, last I saw.

Is this it? (I know, I know...iSub should be on the floor. Well, guess what? This pic is almost 16 months old and the iSub IS on the floor these days).



BTW, that heavy base I'm talking about is visible...it's that black circular thing directly behind the left speaker.
post #333 of 376
Any theories regarding "G5 is my preeciousss..." being the tagline for the Mac OS X forum, and not Future Hardware?

Or has this been discussed? Or does it matter? Or...

My head now hurts
...and I would have succeeded too, if it wasn't for those pesky God and Jesus fellows. - Eddie Izzard
Reply
...and I would have succeeded too, if it wasn't for those pesky God and Jesus fellows. - Eddie Izzard
Reply
post #334 of 376
post #335 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie John
how about a horizontal flywheel spinning at the base of a monitor stand- the gyroscopic effect would stop it tipping over.

Of course you could never turn off the monitor.

Hey's there's bound to be a market for a combo Segway/LCD monitor!

Apple takes portability to a new dimension! Buh bye handles everywhere: in the year AFTER the year of the laptop, everything will come with wheels....
post #336 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
a) no I haven't seen a 23" b) here's an idea: for the 23" model, maybe there can be a LARGER, HEAVIER base c) in any case, RELAX and be nice



I think I said earlier that it was just an "idea" and not to get hung up on too many details and specifics. I just used a popular widescreen (17"?) for my second drawing, figuring that if a metal pole can hold it, then my idea could.

It's the IDEA of a jointed/swinging mid-point which, in turn, is attached to a base unit...allowing for side-to-side pivot and back-and-forth tilt.

But yes, you're right...the 23" display would probably have a slightly different base to properly support it because I'd imagine they're quite huge. But I didn't feel like drawing all three models, so you get what you see.

Exactly, I can only comment on what I see, which was a small base that I thought was under sized for the 23" and had a short discussion with formerlurker about it.

No intention to belittle your artist rendering, simply stating the mechanics wouldn't work for the 23" IMO based on the provided visuals
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #337 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Yeah, I think that's it. Actually mine is (don't laugh...what do you expect) orange (the housing for the light. But the arm is chrome. But yes, they made them in orange, blue and - for lack of a better word - graphite. They were translucent housings, so it had that iLook to it (this was back during the iFruit era).

Sounds like we have the same one. They still make them, last I saw.

Is this it? (I know, I know...iSub should be on the floor. Well, guess what? This pic is almost 16 months old and the iSub IS on the floor these days).



BTW, that heavy base I'm talking about is visible...it's that black circular thing directly behind the left speaker.

Why would the iSub be on the floor? I have mine behind my 23" in a corner desk configuration. I don't think I've ever put the isub on the floor, just wouldn't feel right. Is there a sound benefit for this position?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #338 of 376
Okay, who remembers this adjustable Apple Studio Display? the original Apple 15" LCD.



It tilted back and forth and the base had a counter balanced column that adjusted up & down. Very state of the art at the time. It also had a tilt stand or could be hung on the wall. I think that Apple will figure out how to do a proper ergonomic and adjustable LCD.

Dummest thing I ever did was sell that along with my Dual 533.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Reply
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Reply
post #339 of 376
I go away for one day and when I get back the tread is 4 pages longer and you guys are talking about monitors. Hold on while I take an hour to read all the posts between yesterday and today and write back with an intelligent post.

Oh I suppose all you know that appleturns says that they're hearing some faint sounds about no G5s at WWDC. I have noticed that Appleturns is often right about these little things. Lets hope they are not this time.

I wonder how long smeagol is going to stay up there in the 5th ring? I guess till the G5s come out...
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
Reply
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
Reply
post #340 of 376
Reading from left to right, Gollum is the first ring.

One ring to rule them all,
One ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.

It's pretty easy to figure out what the "ring" is. Smeagol was once a creature from a race that is the ancestor of Panthers, but it came upon the possesion of a ring. This ring twisted its kernel and driver code, and Smeagol is driven by the desire to possess the ring.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
post #341 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Algol
Oh I suppose all you know that appleturns says that they're hearing some faint sounds about no G5s at WWDC. I have noticed that Appleturns is often right about these little things. Lets hope they are not this time.

I posted this in the WWDC thread, but it bears repeating here. Jack from AtAT has posted in the MacRumors forums


"From That AtAT Guy

Holy cats, it's like a school of pirahnas on crystal meth in here! But I mean that in a good way.

Okay, I know other people posted the fuller quote in context, but I'm going to do it again:


quote:
Meanwhile, we're hearing the faintest rumblings that the Power Mac G5 may actually not be ready for a WWDC introduction after all. We're not putting a whole lot of stock in said rumblings just yet, but we mention them anyway for the cautious souls among you who choose to temper your enthusiasm with a hefty dose of skepticism. 'Nuff said.


Key phrases to note are "faintest rumblings" and "not putting a whole lot of stock in." Who knew that a quick side note expressing certain third-hand parties' skepticism would send scores of distraught Mac fans leaping to their deaths?

This is getting so out of hand I may have to re-address this issue tomorrow. But the bottom line is that all I said is that some other people don't think the 970 will be ready to introduce, and that I didn't exactly believe them.

Personally, the way things are looking, I expect Panther to be demoed on a pre-production G5, but I'm thinking they probably won't be available for another month or so. Note that none of this is really based on anything more than what all of you have already seen a dozen times over. (Well, not much more. )

So relax. When I said "faintest rumblings," I meant "faintest rumblings"; some people do in fact choose not to let their enthusiasm get too out of hand just in case of disappointment, and I thought they might like to hear that some people are casting doubt on a 970 intro. In my own personal opinion, whether the G5 appears or not, people are probably getting their hopes up way higher than is generally healthy. Remember what happened with the summer Expo of 2001 when everyone was expecting LCD iMacs? Man, that was an ugly scene...

Anyway, hope that clears things up a little. Thanx for your time..."
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #342 of 376
I have to agree. The rumors are fun and tantalizing but you can't believe them. No knock on the authors but by their nature rumors are noisy. You wind up with a bunch of incomplete, somtimes contractory information. Besides, what can you do with this information? All we know is you don't buy existing hardware just before a keynote unless you are happy with that hardware. Apart from that the rumors are useless. Entertainment value only.

On the other hand, the analysis that is applied to existing, public information and posted here is informative and often useful.

As far as new hardware goes, only Steve knows what will come out and it isn't a done deal till Steve gets up on stage and announces it. At the last minute he can cancel any project. Even if someone saw something or got a leak that was 100% factual it doesn't mean a thing till we hear it from Steve.

On the lighter side and more on topic, I just received a personal ecard from Steve himself inviting me to WWDC. It reads:
Quote:
Please join us at WWDC on June 23-27 at Moscone West in San Francisco where we'll give you a first look at Panther, the next major release of Mac OS X. It will be worth it.

Steve

Note the last sentence.8)
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
post #343 of 376
WWDC pushed back a month

WWDC moved to the much more expensive and LARGER Moscone Center

Power Mac sales in the crapper

Quark out on X

Next version of Photoshop X only

Apple NEEDS to sell Power Macs BADLY

IBM has created a chip perfect for the Mac all the way down to an AltiVec unit

Apple has been crippled by it's "power" machines being limited in terms of bus speed, memory architecture, technologies, etc.

Said chip runs 64 bit

This conference is for "developers"

Apple would love for developers to start writing software for this chip in 64 bit

Developers get much more excited about writing such software with a big hoopla gushing on the advantages of this chip, Steve-O throwing so much damn RDF that the air in the room becomes thick. throw in a new case and you have developers masturbating in the open during the keynote.

Apple lives on it's established base upgrading. Myself included I stopped upgrading after my dual 867, just wasn't worth it anymore. The upgrades were bland. New case. New chip. Big hoopla at big event (especially with no MacWorld), people are dumping machines left and right, lease returns come flooding in.

Sorry. Without even taking into consideration my own sources info...we will see the 970 at WWDC. Apple needs it.
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #344 of 376
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 1997
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 1998
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 1999
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 2000
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 2001
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 2002
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #345 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 1997
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 1998
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 1999
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 2000
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 2001
"...It will be worth it." WWDC 2002

WWDC this year is a different beast than any previous year. At the Moscone Center and no more Macworld NYC.
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #346 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
Yea but the imac isn't a widescreen and we're talking another 6", that's a lot.

Ehh what? The 17" iMac is a widescreen.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #347 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi
Throw in a new case and you have developers masturbating in the open during the keynote.

Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #348 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
I'm making plastics right now!
Reply
post #349 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi
throw in a new case and you have developers masturbating in the open during the keynote.

Hell, AI will be lucky that the forums do not have webcams some of the more excessive members!

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
post #350 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie John
how about a horizontal flywheel spinning at the base of a monitor stand- the gyroscopic effect would stop it tipping over.

Of course you could never turn off the monitor.

What the heck why not a couple of hard drives instead of the flywheel

Or make the base fom depleted uranium- that should be heavy enough.
Call it the activeX

...or two repelling magnetic fields so the monitor floats

Why don't they put gyros at the bottom/end of rescue tethers that are dangled from helicopters?

You know, the kind that have basket cots or a strap so that they can pull you up to safety? They always seem to lash about so.
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
post #351 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi
WWDC pushed back a month

WWDC moved to the much more expensive and LARGER Moscone Center

Power Mac sales in the crapper

Quark out on X

Next version of Photoshop X only

Apple NEEDS to sell Power Macs BADLY

IBM has created a chip perfect for the Mac all the way down to an AltiVec unit

Apple has been crippled by it's "power" machines being limited in terms of bus speed, memory architecture, technologies, etc.

Said chip runs 64 bit

This conference is for "developers"

Apple would love for developers to start writing software for this chip in 64 bit

Developers get much more excited about writing such software with a big hoopla gushing on the advantages of this chip, Steve-O throwing so much damn RDF that the air in the room becomes thick. throw in a new case and you have developers masturbating in the open during the keynote.

Apple lives on it's established base upgrading. Myself included I stopped upgrading after my dual 867, just wasn't worth it anymore. The upgrades were bland. New case. New chip. Big hoopla at big event (especially with no MacWorld), people are dumping machines left and right, lease returns come flooding in.

Sorry. Without even taking into consideration my own sources info...we will see the 970 at WWDC. Apple needs it.

Developers are also taking home a preview copy of Panther, if PM's ship with a 32 bit OS, and developers have a 64 bit copy of OS X in hand I would think that this would be a good incentive for them to buy new PM's now so that they can start "toying" with their new 64 programing.
post #352 of 376
Quote:
...and developers have a 64 bit copy of OS X in hand I would think that this would be a good incentive for them to buy new PM's now so that they can start "toying" with their new 64 programing.

And test it on what exactly?



Edit:
...nevermind, it's early morning, and i didn't have my coffee yet...
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
Reply
post #353 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Hmm, I guess G5 it is...(Much to my disgust) but they really do need to 'sexify' the name... We need an add on bit at the end or something...

We've done Xtreme and all that, we need something more aggressive, more kick ass, something that will strike fear into the hearts of the general population, hell even into us, part of the '112 Brotherhood'...

Like Motorbikes.

Would the Honda CBR900RR be anything without it's moniker 'Fireblade'?

The Suzuki GSX1300R sounds crap, but if say 'Hayabusa'... Hmmm, it gets infinitely better.

Kawasaki ZX6-R, Hmm, lacking. Ninja! Muhahaha!

Please I prefer to use "GSXR", the fastest four letters on the planet

Hope the PPC970 is as fast as my gixxer oh and it has a Ti Akrapovic on it too

hehehehhe
post #354 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC
Why don't they put gyros at the bottom/end of rescue tethers that are dangled from helicopters?

Gyroscopic precession is what stops them. A gyro-stabilized 'basket' at the end of a rope would start to turn, and ultimately spin at the end of the rope due to gyroscopic precession. It's why helicopters have tail rotors.

23" monitor stand ~ triangulation of the base with the center of gravity. Imagine an iMac 'neck' attached at the top of a horseshoe the size a Clydesdale would use.

970 Powerbooks ~ Dell just released a 3.06 GHz Pentium 'M' laptop. What do you think Apple will do about that?

Aphelion ...
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
Reply
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
Reply
post #355 of 376
Doesnt anyone find it a bit strange that Apple launches Final Cut Pro 4, 2 weeks before WWDC? It could have been used in Steve's speech.. Unless it is already filled up...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #356 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
Doesnt anyone find it a bit strange that Apple launches Final Cut Pro 4, 2 weeks before WWDC? It could have been used in Steve's speech.. Unless it is already filled up...

Final Cut Pro 4 was announced at NAB - the perfect place for such an announcement.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #357 of 376
post #358 of 376
Quote:
Steve-O throwing so much damn RDF that the air in the room becomes thick. throw in a new case and you have developers masturbating in the open during the keynote.



Heh. Hmmm...Dell has a laptop that has a Pentium 4 at 3 gig. Twice as fast as Apple's desktop!?

Still, you gotta laugh at that...



Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
Reply
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
Reply
post #359 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
Not a problem if you mount the gyro with the axis of rotation perpindicular to the pull of gravity (parallel to the ground). It will still attempt to remain level as it unsuccessfully tries to roll its way up the cable.

Actually gyroscopic precession effects an angular torque and not along the plane of rotation, as can be observed in this image:



It would not try to 'climb' the rope unless you use it like a yo-yo to convert rotational energy into traction on the rope.

Aphelion ...
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
Reply
OSX + Duals, Quads & Octos = World Domination
Reply
post #360 of 376
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Final Cut Pro 4 was announced at NAB - the perfect place for such an announcement.

Well.. The final release then..
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › AI gets in on the action