or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Safari v80

Safari v80

post #1 of 45
Safari v80 is leaked - biggest change is that WebKit is now installed in /System/Library/Frameworks.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #2 of 45
And the font size is a point a two bigger.

And it's Snappier. No, really!
post #3 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
And the font size is a point a two bigger.

And it's Snappier?. No, really!

You suck-- no, I mean, thanks for letting us know. Really!
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #4 of 45
Oh, and it looks like v80 finally properly submits special characters like the TM in my post above to forums like this.

And it also identifies itself in the About dialog as 1.0 instead of "beta".
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights
You suck-- no, I mean, thanks for letting us know. Really!

It's not hard to find. I hear that Google searches all over the world - even in Russia
JLL

JLL

post #6 of 45
thanks! an installer and everything. i feel less dirty that way.
post #7 of 45
And the "check spelling as you type" option sticks for text fields now, too.

Remember, guys. You can discuss the software itself, but posting links to sources for these pirated goods is strictly verboten.
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Oh, and it looks like v80 finally properly submits special characters like the TM in my post above to forums like this.

And it also identifies itself in the About dialog as 1.0 instead of "beta".

1.0??? ummmm, sounds like safari will go legit at WWDC

brad, how are you liking it compared to the new omniweb out?

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #9 of 45
it has a feature on the bookmark page to open in tabs the items in your menu bar. you know if you have a pull down on your menu bar. (i keep reediting to make it sound better but i'm making it worse)
i explained it sooo shitily, go see for yourself, it's cool.
post #10 of 45
Same old Java incompatibilities I guess we have to wait 'till the final release for full Java support. Of course we'll have to upgrade to 10.3 to take advantage of them
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kelib
Same old Java incompatibilities I guess we have to wait 'till the final release for full Java support. Of course we'll have to upgrade to 10.3 to take advantage of them

What Java incompatibilities?
JLL

JLL

post #12 of 45
Spellchecking stays on? I've been wondering why this hasn't been working yet, took forever. Can't wait.
post #13 of 45
I am not sure if it was there before but now in your preference pane for Booksmarks it has an option for Syncing bookmarks using .Mac
post #14 of 45
Did anyone notice that the installer allowed you to choose where to put the App? I've never seen that before in an Apple installer... am I unobservant?
post #15 of 45
v80 improves failed connections slightly. Pages still occasionally fail for no reason (error - "Safari couldn't load any data...") before a connection is attempted (I'm sure we've all seen it). But now, instead of tearing the user away from another page or tab to click the error dialog, the tab is tagged with an error icon, and the error sheet doesn't appear until you click on the tab.

Also, the url isn't cleared from the url field after a failure (finally).

But downloads haven't been improved at all. There is still a four connection limit and you still cannot see the URLs of downloads, images are still not retrieved from the cache, and server side failures still cannot be reloaded.
post #16 of 45
Although it's hard to measure, scrolling speed is better too (at least it seems to). I second Brad about, Snappier, something it definitely is. Much quicker loading, and SnapBack is... Snappy as hell!

One peculiarity though, scrolling is sometimes faster when scrolling upwards, than the opposite direction. I can't explain it. Anyone else experiencing it?
post #17 of 45
It doesn't seem to work with Pith Helmet .61.
post #18 of 45
Counters work on ebay now. Something about it is fast. It's definitely snappier....

WTF is up with the installation requiring a reboot, though???
post #19 of 45
This isn't exactly a public release, and you can force quit the installer.

Yeah, the scrolling does seem quicker going up than down...eh? Maybe we're both just crazy.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
It doesn't seem to work with Pith Helmet .61.

Privoxy, here I come \ 8)
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
[snip]WTF is up with the installation requiring a reboot, though???

The frameworks are now installed in the global System directory instead of inside the app. Presumably so the framework will be accessible to any developers after the offical release.

Wesley
My digital hub: Power G5 Mac Dual 1.8GHz 1.25Gb/200Gb | iBook 600 DVD/384Mb/20Gb/AirPort | 5G iPod 60Gb | K700i | Lumix FX8
My digital hub: Power G5 Mac Dual 1.8GHz 1.25Gb/200Gb | iBook 600 DVD/384Mb/20Gb/AirPort | 5G iPod 60Gb | K700i | Lumix FX8
post #22 of 45
Gah, the text isn't showing up as a point or two bigger for me. In fact, it got even smaller. I'm seeing a lot of text that isn't even antialiased, actually...

I don't have an older image to compare it with, but that text was big enough to be antialiased before.

\
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
What Java incompatibilities?

The news banner on this page doesn't load all the time. The Java based configurators on the follwing sites do not work either:

Volkswagen
Skoda
Audi

There may well be more, these are the one's I've already tried.

Another bug (don't think it has anything to do with java. When clicking the smaller images on this page the biggest one should be replaced. That doesn't happen.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
The news banner on this page doesn't load all the time. The Java based configurators on the follwing sites do not work either:

Volkswagen
Skoda
Audi

There may well be more, these are the one's I've already tried.

And you're sure that those are written with Sun's JVM in mind and not MS'?
JLL

JLL

post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
And you're sure that those are written with Sun's JVM in mind and not MS'?

I couldn't care less, I just want a browser I can use on all pages.
post #26 of 45
Quote:

Sorry...that browser doesn't exist yet.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Sorry...that browser doesn't exist yet.

Well, IE for windows comes pretty close. I can surf all my regulars on IE for Mac but it's just not up to speed. Mozilla was fine for me too until the latest version (1.4)
post #28 of 45
I do have Safari v80, but if I post it, is it *illegal*??
post #29 of 45
" Well, IE for windows comes pretty close. "

I've got it! We'll just create a new browser and force everyone to code so our product works, breaking everyone else's products! It's genius!

If only we had a monopoly on the desktop...that would really help in getting that rolling...
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Zander

It sure is... Don't risk it... besides it's all over the place now and Google is a really good tool for finding stuff posted on the web...

Hope I was non-specific enough so to not break any rules..

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #31 of 45
Quote:

Ask Microsoft to dump their shitty JVM then!
JLL

JLL

post #32 of 45
It also couldn't hurt to send a friendly email to the sites in question and mention to them that you are unable to properly view their content. I can't guarantee that this will help but I have done it in the past (a site I liked ordering CDs from had upgraded and was now only usable on IE) and they had it fixed within 24 hours. I was actually pretty shocked at that response. I beleive that to a great extent most companies like to be viewable to as large an audience as possible and will go to reasonable lengths to ensure this.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
It also couldn't hurt to send a friendly email to the sites in question and mention to them that you are unable to properly view their content.

I always do that and have got nothing but positive response with one or two exceptions. BBC for example are re-writing their site and it has over 50.000 pages on their site. This is their answer to me:

Quote:
Thanks for the email. The problem has occurred and we're trying to fix it, but with over 50,000 pages in the website, published in various chunks, we have to work our way through it and republish as and when we can. We know it's there - it's just not as straightforward to fix as you'd think!

Regards,

Richard Dredge

However, it's difficult to get people to look into those things when the page is flawless on the currently default Mac browser, MS Internet Explorer
post #34 of 45
i think a commerce site is going to fix things up pretty quick, lost sales you know?
a general information site is more likely to send the above email.
post #35 of 45
POST REMOVED!!!!
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/erro...amxsigflat.jpg
Above is a link to my sig pic.
If you'd like to send me an email please use gheller@hellermedia.com. The email listed in my profile is for...
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Zander

If you're a Buffy fan, you might probably want to know that Xander starts with an "X".
post #37 of 45
Now that the install is system-wide, does this mean Camino and OmniWeb can grab the reins off Safari's bookmarks and take advantage of synching, thus making the bookmarks library a central repository, a la contacts?
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Now that the install is system-wide, does this mean Camino and OmniWeb can grab the reins off Safari's bookmarks and take advantage of synching, thus making the bookmarks library a central repository, a la contacts?

I don't know about that, but there is a program called BookIt that does that. It essentially syncs your bookmarks with all your installed browsers.
post #39 of 45
gah!?! where can I get it?
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
_ _____________________ _
1ghz Powerbook SuperDrive yippeeee!!!!
post #40 of 45
What's so difficult about typing

"os x" bookit

into Google?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software