or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Where did the gremlin thread go?

Where did the gremlin thread go?  

post #1 of 26
In this very forum. 't Was here this morning and now it's gone. Not that I miss that crap much, but it's kind of symbolic for a growning trend here: deletion of content without any notice whatsoever. I'd ask anybody who has the power to do this, and actually does this at times, to refrain from doing that ever again. It gives me a tough migraine that usually ends up with myself embracing my porcelain buddy.
post #2 of 26
It was removed because material was posted that could be used to incriminate other members.

Enough said. End of that discussion.

If you have any questions in the future about possible deleted content, please contact an administrator or moderator immediately and cite as much detail about the incident that you can.
post #3 of 26
I'm sad that its gone, but happy that it might have contained true info
post #4 of 26
Yea, me too. It was the first post of mine that really took off. I was proud of that. Oh well, back to OS9 supremacy posts.

EDIT: Maybe next time you could just deleat the incriminating content, not the entire thread?
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
post #5 of 26
oh man i missed some new info...

ugh.
post #6 of 26
and the ringwraiths circle, searching for invisible ringbearers, cursing with frustration
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
If you have any questions in the future about possible deleted content, please contact an administrator or moderator immediately and cite as much detail about the incident that you can.

My question/suggestion is not so much about specific threads, as it is about a growing trend at AI which I, for one, am very sad to see. I have already commented on this, but things have hardly improved, if not worsened, since then.
post #8 of 26
der Kopf: Please contact me via PM if you really have a legitimate concern about this. I will look into it. In the last whole month, the number of removed threads of which I am aware can be counted on less than two hands. Half of those were spam-related. Browsing back through the past two months here in Suggestions, I see only this one post from you expressing concern about post deletion.
post #9 of 26
I have also voiced concern about this 'trend', but I'm not sure if I want to speak again.

edit; when I do, I'll use the 'standard communications protocol' from now on.
post #10 of 26
Well Brad I just have to ask, why not just edit the incriminating posts? There was no need to delete the whole thread.

I think some of the mods around here are on a power/info trip and they need to calm down and stop elluding to things and deleting posts. It makes the users very confused when a thread they posted at earlier is gone without any notice. I think we get the point that you have some cool info about the 970 that you won't tell us. However, since no one has a clue as to what the stupid creature on top of AIs page is really all about other than some vague connection to 10.2.7, and don't ask me whats so special about that, maybe you could put our site back the way it's supposed to be....

?
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
"People don't want handouts! People want hand jobs!" ~ Connecticut governor William O'Neil at a political rally, followed by riotous applause
post #11 of 26
When you're in charge of the forums, you make the judgment calls.

See previous post:

"End of that discussion."

Do I have to pull out the posting guidelines and start dictating rules again about arguing about a moderator's or administrator's actions? Please, just let it go. I don't want to have to start that again. It's not worth the trouble, is it?
post #12 of 26
i dunno, i think brad and other mods do stuff with a good reason behind it. Yea so he has info, yea he played a game, but it was all in good fun, we got some info. would you rather know nothing? Other thread closings aside, i don't think it's right to get mad at them for somthing like this.
post #13 of 26
Your voice is more likely to be heard and taken seriously and with respect if you follow the proper protocol for communicating with the administrators and moderators about it. This in turn shows us some respect. I am well aware of the threads that have been moved and posts which have been deleted... and I think I speak for all of the moderators and administrators when I say that I do not feel that any of them were out of line.

At any rate, we have said it before, and we apparently need to say it again with a bit more gusto. Issues like this need to be taken up with the appropriate moderators and/or administrators via PMs or E-Mail. I understand that it seems like a suggestion, but we have a policy for dealing with this scenario, and that policy is to use the PM system or E-Mail, not to use a thread as a soap box.
post #14 of 26
My theory??? The gremlin ate it. Just like they did back at the big one. I used be a, uh uh, a bomber piolet, yeah!! And I saw one eat a gun turret 2 bombs meant for Berlin and the left propeller. THat is what gremlins are good for.
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
post #15 of 26

I thought suggestions would be for suggesting things...like not to delete posts... but I realize its no use. Oh well... I didn't mean any harm. I was just pointing out that it bothered me that a post that did not need to be deleted was. Don't get so pissed off about it! Gosh...

After all you can always just delete the thread!

lol calm down

post #16 of 26
Just E-Mail or PM a moderator if you have a beef with them. Simple enough, no?

8)
post #17 of 26
Look, I can see and understand your very PC policy of pm'ing the mod or otherwise hierarchically superior dude. And you'll have to show me the last post where I took stuff like this out in the open. With the gremlin thread, I don't feel this is personal at all, involving just me and one mod, au contraire, it involves all the people who posted in there, so a thread devoted to that specific instance is, IMO, not wrong.

For the rest: I'm not complaining about specific posts of mine that were deleted, as I am asking
Quote:
anybody who has the power to do this, and actually does this at times, to refrain from doing that ever again.

And that, correct me if I am wrong, is a suggestion par excellence.
post #18 of 26
I agree with der kopf.
post #19 of 26
Okay I am thorougly confused.

If anyone have some info please share it with me. It will be a dead end (noone will know I got it) a:brygge!dk where : is @ and ! is .
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #20 of 26
Ok, der kopf and algol, I'm going to point out explicitly why we have a problem with what you are saying. it has nothing to do with pride, and everything to do with the Posting Guidelines we have on this board. If it was a pride issue, we could have very well removed this thread already. At the very least, those reading this thread would do good to pay special attention to this post such that we all have a firm understanding of the guidelines we have created.

Let's start with guideline number one...

Quote:
1. The right (if you are an American citizen) to free speech as guaranteed by the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution does not apply when posting at this message board. Posters are allowed a great deal of flexibility in their posts, but be respectful of other members and the guidelines.

The key there is be respectful of the guidelines. If you have not done so, you may want to go read them. Since you have already failed to exhibit a form of respect for guideline number one, I will assume that neither of you have read the guidelines.

As such, let's move onto number three...

Quote:
3. All comments about a moderator or an administrator should be directed to the moderator or an administrator (if the member does not feel comfortable dealing directly with the moderator) using private messaging or via e-mail.

I am not quite sure if it is at all possible to explain this any clearer. I would like to believe that since this guideline has not been followed, that it is only that neither of you have read it. To avoid confusion in the future, I'm going to explain why this pertains to your "suggestion".

While you are suggesting that we provide better reasoning for removing threads and deleting posts, or at least doing it less because you believe we are all on some power trip, I have to point out that this falls directly underline guideline number three. The actions you are describing are directly related to a problem with a moderator and/or administrator. So this needs to be addressed with them through PM or E-Mail. Bringing it to our attention in the Suggestions forum is not just a waste of both your time and ours, but a waste of any of the other members who end up fueling the thread and in turn wasting bandwidth, CPU cycles, and minute amounts of disk space.

We have the policy in place such that issues about a moderator or administrators behaviour can be brought up directly with that individual. This saves time, and allows us to address the issue on a more personal level. And if you do not wish to talk to the administrator about it, you are always free to discuss it anonymously with another moderator. If you ask for anonymity, we will give it to you.

But what has been done in this thread is not only a waste of everyone's time, but shows a complete lack of respect to the posting guidelines we worked hard to write, and a lack of respect for those of us that devote our free time with no compensation whatsoever to trying to keep this place clean and in order.

Have you tried sending a private message or an email to a moderator or administrator about these issues? If not, well, perhaps that is why nothing has been done. If you have, and received an answer, perhaps you were not satisfied with the answer. I'm very sorry if that is the case, but as I have said before, I speak for all of the moderators and administrators when I say I am fully aware of the threads and posts that have been altered/deleted/moved, and they were all decisions that any of us would have made.

I do trust this is the end of this discussion. We will not be discussing it further in this thread. If this post did not clear up any loose ends, you will need to PM or E-Mail myself or another member of the staff. This thread will not be locked, but I trust the discussion is over in regards to the issues I have pointed out in this post. Do not force us to have to lock this thread.
post #21 of 26
To tag on to what Jack said:

When you registered on these forums, you agreed to these terms.

Note the last part.

The owners of AppleInsider have the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason.

The fact is, while we generally act 'cool' about things, there are certain things which we cannot allow, and will use our power as custodians of the site to stop.

Look at this ASAP:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/attac...&postid=375816
LL
post #22 of 26
Look, I'm not accusing you all of being on a power trip. I guess you all get plenty of crap slung towards you as it is, and I both understand and respect your position.

As I have said before, and do want to make clear again: explicit editing out 'nasty' content is very fine with me. My issue is with the complete removal, without a trace, of a post or a thread of posts. It reminds me of the constant rewriting of history as done in Orwell's 1984.

Even a little note about how and why would make things a lot more bearable. And THAT is my suggestion. It is not a point I want to or should stride over, and I realise that it is not all that important. But if you want to take into account what one member (or two, apparently) thinks, that would be it.
post #23 of 26
so make a thread about the thread that you took away?

post #24 of 26
as to where the thread went,

it's still right there, looking at us seeming ghosted by that weird whitewater wispy effect

we just can't see it while it wears the precious
post #25 of 26
Der Kopf, I just outlined why you should PM or E-Mail people about this. I am now instituting a zero tolerance policy on you in regards to discussing this outside of PMs or E-Mails.

Am I not making myself clear?
post #26 of 26
Stick a fork in.

This thread is done.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Where did the gremlin thread go?