I don't remember this being stated and even if it were true, that means they have until December 21st (??) to release on time.
Like I said in a previous post. Everyone seems to think Panther will be released in Sept. Unless 970 powermacs are available in July, then Smeagol makes NO sense. If Panther isn't ready until Dec--which is likely since Devs are getting a "sneek peek" in late June--then Smeagol makes sense along with a PM 970 release "this summer".
I think that is a very logical solution. 'Cracked it'. I think you could be right. What's the point of 'Smeagol' in August if Panther is September? Might as well wait a little longer. Smeagol, as you've pointed out suggests that our 'Fall' interpretation could be out of whack. 'Fall' could mean bumped Towers around December. ie to Dual/Quad formations. Could mean a bump to 2.2 over the 1.8. So when Apple go dual they offer 2.2 in addition to 1.8 dual 970s. Hmmm. You've got me thinking that Panther is shaping up to be something more special than even Jaguar was. And they're going to need that extra time to finish it. We could be taking a hair before the Christmas shopping season. Nov-Dec? Yeah. Apple must be cooking up something special.
Re: Smeagol. Means we get most of the 32 bit CPU performance and bandwidth we could only dream off under the G4. Single 1.4 and 1.8 970s off the presses as IBM ramps up production. Say shipping August (ala Towers last year?) then that gives Apple two quarters of storming 970 sales. Which takes Apple up to late Fall. Panther and duals hit. On Panther...a new, more elegant software solution optimised to take advantage of the new, elegant 'hypertransport' parallel interconnect that allows multiple cpus to connect more efficiently and elegantly than in say, the current dual G4 towers. End result? Worth waiting for the duals! Be well worth it. But the single smeagol 970s? Well worth it performance right out the gate with a further boost as 970s go dual under dual enhancing Panther! I'm now pitching that as my interpretation of the conflicting eWeek, Moki, Macdoobie smoke signals. In a manner of speaking...they're all right?
Photoshop 7 (8 pending...) and Lightwave 7 should fly under a '32-bit' 970 running on '32 bit' Jag'/Smeagol. So celebrate.
Hmmm. I think alot of Mac users will take that. Quark 6 on 'Smeagol' 970s? That's going to be a good quarter. Sales for June quarter will be flat (said Apple) therefore it's got to be Smeagol 970s for WWDC, New York Macworld or Seybold at the latest. We're looking at anything from 4-8 weeks for actual shipping in that context? That would make Moki's 'hints' correct and corraborate eWeeks story. Yet...Moki said eWeek contained 'horsesmells'. That may have been the 'performance' penalty talk...not the delivery timetable.
Still, just to get a preview of a 970 and Panther at WWDC and another amazing Steve Jobs keynote would suffice for me. Those other 4-8 weeks will soon swing around for me. The best things in life are worth waiting for.
I want a dual 2.2 970 running 'Panther'. Personally, I think that will be worth waiting for. Compared to the last Mac I owned (my beloved Powermac 'Manhattan'...) it will seem like lightspeed.
So celebrate part 2!
Typical Steve Jobs double whammy. And who knows...a Renderman buyout by Apple along with a 64 bit Shake come the fall? 3D community cry foul and open their chequebooks and go Apple...heh...
Lemon Bon Bon
PS. So what we're having is not hardware 'Yikes' but software 'Yikes'. No? But with what could hardly be called a penalty. Given the massive speed gains envisaged, I'll take half(?) the performance of the single 970 now and double(?) improvement later as and when Panther ships.