or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Audio CDs labeled as a disk with no readable volumes! Help!!!

Audio CDs labeled as a disk with no readable volumes! Help!!!

post #1 of 23
Hi guys,

I just found out today when I wanted to encode some songs and I inserted an audio cd that my computer no longer reads them.

Funny thing is that this problem only is for audio cds, and normal data cds work fine

Why is this? What's wrong? Is there some way to fix it??

I have a feeling it was one of the security updates since I didn't have the problem prior.

Help! i want music on my iPod
...nunc et in hora mortis nostrae...
post #2 of 23
is this every audio CD, or just a newer one?
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
is this every audio CD, or just a newer one?

Yes, every single mf audio cd. I tried quite a few, so I assume it isn't the cd's problem.

So any suggestions on what to do? I'm desperate!

i have to go on a trip and i need music in my iPod!
post #4 of 23
Steve,

I've had the same problem since 10.2.5. I can read data CD's and burn audio CD's, but I can't read audio CD's or burn photo CD's. I've tried everything, including resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, editing the parameters file, rebooting, fsck -y, etc. Nothing seems to work.

In the end I decided that I could either reinstall 10.2.0 and update to 10.2.4, or just wait for 10.3.

The kicker is that I can't back up my data to CD/DVD now.

GG
20" iMac G5, 2 GB Ram, OS X 10.4.11, .Mac
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by gobble gobble
Steve,

I've had the same problem since 10.2.5. I can read data CD's and burn audio CD's, but I can't read audio CD's or burn photo CD's. I've tried everything, including resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, editing the parameters file, rebooting, fsck -y, etc. Nothing seems to work.

In the end I decided that I could either reinstall 10.2.0 and update to 10.2.4, or just wait for 10.3.

The kicker is that I can't back up my data to CD/DVD now.

GG

Hey Everone with the Problenm!!!!!!!!!

I've solved it!!!!!!!!!

After about an hour of diagnostics, I found the root of the problem.

It is the corruption of the cddb file located in the preferences folder.

Trash it and away you go! (since I noticed that when I logged in as root i could read audio cds)

Hope this helps!!
(tell me if this is what caused your problem too)
post #6 of 23
Steve,

Can you tell me what this file does (I'm not a Unix guru or anything)?

GG

p.s. okay, after some looking I assume that this relates to the cddb internet song database. I'm not sure how that would screw-up my ability to burn photo CD's, but I'll trash the cddb file tonight anyway and see what happens.

p.p.s. I don't have an internet connection at home where my iMac is, so maybe that plays in some how, don't know...
post #7 of 23
Well, i was quite puzzled myself but my tests are true and it is the cddb file that messes it up.

Perhaps it is corrupt and since each audio cd can be labeled as having a cddb tag, then it might mess up all future audio cds.

If you are unsure, what i'd do is login as root or as another user like a new user and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then it's almost always a preference problem.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and upgrade to the latest version of mac os x
post #8 of 23
nice work!

i'd have never guessed/figured that one out. *sigh* takes a while to know OSX like you knew OS9.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
nice work!

i'd have never guessed/figured that one out. *sigh* takes a while to know OSX like you knew OS9.

Thank you so very much. Ever since I fsckd up my history teacher's iBook I haven't gotten good faces.

But I guess I've been using the mac since kindergarten so I know it quite well now, but still not well enough to not mess up someone's computer!

Well, it still took me around an hour to solve the entire problem.

But thanks again, it's nice to hear a complement.
post #10 of 23
I tried trashing the cddb file last night and nothing changed. I'm convinced that I have a software problem, but now I'm starting to wonder if I really do have a hardware problem. The inconsistency of being able to burn an audio CD, but not read one; and being able to read the Apple hardware diagnostics CD, but not my game CD's, is really bothersome.

Since I can't figure out how to solve things, I think I'll buy a small external firewire hd on clearance, backup my data, and do a clean install of 10.2.0

BTW, if I reinstall (not a clean install) 10.2.0 (I'm currently running 10.2.6) on my iMac, does that erase everything on the drive, e.g., my iPhoto library, etc.?
post #11 of 23
Quote:
I tried trashing the cddb file last night and nothing changed. I'm convinced that I have a software problem, but now I'm starting to wonder if I really do have a hardware problem. The inconsistency of being able to burn an audio CD, but not read one; and being able to read the Apple hardware diagnostics CD, but not my game CD's, is really bothersome.

Since I can't figure out how to solve things, I think I'll buy a small external firewire hd on clearance, backup my data, and do a clean install of 10.2.0

BTW, if I reinstall (not a clean install) 10.2.0 (I'm currently running 10.2.6) on my iMac, does that erase everything on the drive, e.g., my iPhoto library, etc.?

No! Don't waste your money on a new external hdd!!

Do this:

1. Make a new user and see if it reads cds now.
if it does, all you have to do is use the new user, stick all your stuff to the new user and voila

2. If that doesn't work, try installing. Do an archive and install, but do not erase the Hard disk. So to your question, no, you don't have to reformat to reinstall.

Reinstall 10.2, and then trash the system previous.

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by stevegongrui
No! Don't waste your money on a new external hdd!!

Do this:

1. Make a new user and see if it reads cds now.
if it does, all you have to do is use the new user, stick all your stuff to the new user and voila

2. If that doesn't work, try installing. Do an archive and install, but do not erase the Hard disk. So to your question, no, you don't have to reformat to reinstall.

Reinstall 10.2, and then trash the system previous.

Hope this helps.

Steve,

Thanks - I'll try this tonight.
post #13 of 23
Well, the new user idea got me nowhere.

Since I ran out of time last night (somehow the wife feels ignored when I sit in front of the computer for hours on end...), I'll try the install and archive option tonight.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Well, the new user idea got me nowhere.

Since I ran out of time last night (somehow the wife feels ignored when I sit in front of the computer for hours on end...), I'll try the install and archive option tonight.

Well, all you have to do is create a new user under the system preferences called accounts.

So did you try this and it didn't tell iyou if it was a problem with your user account?

Then try to archive and install
post #15 of 23
Steve,

Yes, I created a new user but it didn't fix the problem.

Therefore, I ordered an external firewire hd (OWC Mercury Elite 60 Gb 7200 RPM) which I'll use to backup my data before I do a "clean" install of 10.2 on my internal drive.

I've been meaning to buy a second drive anyway, since I now take all of our family photos exclusively with the digital camera and can't afford to rely upon a single drive to store them (backing-up to CD and DVD is so cumbersome). My wife would kill me if I lost all of our photos from the last two years.

I'll resurrect this thread (or pm you) in a couple of weeks when the new external drive arrives and I've completed my clean install.

Thanks for your help.
post #16 of 23
Have you ever considered backing up your data on CDs or DVDs?

The external drive would be expensive.

Have you thought of buying an iPod so you can use it as an external as well?

The Main concern I think would be how usefull the drive would really be.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by stevegongrui
Have you ever considered backing up your data on CDs or DVDs?

The external drive would be expensive.

Have you thought of buying an iPod so you can use it as an external as well?

The Main concern I think would be how usefull the drive would really be.

Steve,

I bought a OWC Mercury Elite 60 Gb external firewire drive ($179) and installed 10.2.0 on it and rebooted. No dice on the Superdrive though - it's still acting as goofy and useless as before. AFAIK, I'm out of options on the software front for resolving the Superdrive problem. Guess I'll have to buy a new one (I live in India so the idea of hauling my iMac back to the States is unappealing).

I'm glad I bought the external drive, however. With my digital camera and camcorder, I'm starting to accumulate data that I can't afford to lose, e.g., family/travel pictures and video. And digital video eats a lot of space, so a second drive is needed. I do have an iPod, but it's too small to hold great gobs of video. Plus it's jammed with music.

I did backup to CDs/DVDs when my Superdrive performed as expected, but obviously that's not an option now.

Thanks for your help though.
post #18 of 23
Hi,

Nice to hear from you again

I think you could try backing up ALL your data as well as your home folder onto the external hard disk and then wipe out all data on your iMac and reinstall everything. I think it's worth trying, though I have no experience with Superdrives.

I think you should also boot up with the included hardware test cd that came with it. Like this, you'll be able to see if it's a hardware problem.

How common are Macs in India? I know that in China it's a pathetic 0.2%. How did you get acquainted with Macs anyway? Just curious.

Steve.
post #19 of 23
I did run the hardware test CD - it's one of the few CDs that actually work in the Superdrive - and nothing unexpected appeared. I also ran disk utility repeatedly to no avail.

I'm an American living in India for a couple of years, so I'm well acquainted with Apple from back home. Yes, Apple marketshare in India is almost non-existent. I have yet to see an advertisement for anything Mac, and it's almost impossible to find a place to buy one.

My last thought on how to remedy the Superdrive problem is to buy a can of air and blow it into the Superdrive, in the hope that the Indian dust (of which there is plenty) is somehow causing the Superdrive to malfunction. I don't really know if blasting air into the iMac enclosure is advisable however.

My only other thought is that the Superdrive crapped out due to power problems. I use a stepdown transformer to drop the voltage down to 110 volts (from 220 volts). The transformer, however, does not increase the hertz from 50 to 60 cycles, and I'm wondering if this is screwing up my Superdrive (which has a motor afterall). I'll plug the iMac straight into the wall tonight with an adaptor and see if this makes a difference. I should note that I've been running in this configuration without problem for nearly a year, so if the hertz do make a difference then the damage is probably permanent, and not just a matter of changing the hertz. I'd simply figured that since the iMac is dual voltage it wouldn't matter, but maybe 110/50 is a bad combo (I drop the voltage to power some of my less tolerant peripherals).
post #20 of 23
Hmmm....

I wouldn't use the blower option. They're too powerful imo.

Why are you using a stepdown transformer? The power unit of the iMac should handle it. I have an old iMac as well as an older LC computer and they both work in both 220 and 110.

Turn your imac over and see if it's 220 compliant (which I'm sure it is) In which case you won't need a stepdown transformer.

though I don't think that's what caused it because the central powerunit provides power to the superdrive, and if other stuff like ram and mobo haven't crapped out, this shouldn't be why.

What exactly is your superdrive problem? It can't read cds or dvds?
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Steve,

I'm glad I bought the external drive, however. With my digital camera and camcorder, I'm starting to accumulate data that I can't afford to lose, e.g., family/travel pictures and video. .

-I'm not trying to promote any software or shareware here but something on versiontracker I saw and dreamed of coding (If I knew how to) might get you more bang for the buck. Do a search for DVBackup v1.0. Takes data from your HD and dumps it to a tape on your DV FW camera...
post #22 of 23
Yes! Problem solved! It turned out to be simply a dirty lens. I borrowed a lens cleaning CD (those ones with the really tiny brush on them) from a friend, and it worked like a charm. I'm now able to read music and game CDs just fine, and I can burn photos CDs with no problem. Everything seems to work.

I was sure that it was a software problem from the beginning. I don't understand why the Superdrive continued to read the Apple system disks, including the hardware diagnostic disk, without problem - but was sporadic in reading anything else. Or why I could burn a photo CD but not read one. Weird. There must be something about the Apple system disks that makes them easier to read somehow.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

p.s. I use a stepdown transformer because my iSub and my scanner are 110 only. I realize, however, that the iMac and most peripherals are dual-voltage.

p.p.s. My friend also noted that a can of air was not the best option since the CD with a brush was much more to the point.
post #23 of 23
Gobble,

That's great! So it ended up to be something this simple!

Congratulations, and sorry if I wasn't of much help.

Steve.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Audio CDs labeled as a disk with no readable volumes! Help!!!