or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Clean install Safari ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clean install Safari ?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
How does one go about totally removing and re-installing Safari? I'm talking here about certain beta builds that might have -ahem- got accidentally installed on my computer . The ones that came in an installer .pkg instead of just a disk image...

I need to remove all trace of it because even re-installing the 'proper' beta build doesn't work any more - I can't even get Safari to show an empty window.

No - I can't re-run the installer, it say's this machine is invalid and won't let me proceed. Logging out and restarting have no effect. Tried deleting /System/Librar/Webthingumy too....

Please help !
post #2 of 13
This might help,
Do a search from finder on safari,
I got this back:
com.apple.Safai.plist in my homefolder /library/preferences
Safari in /library/Caches
Safari in /Libarary

Try deleting the safari listings in those folders or the folders your search comes up with. And empty you internet cache before trying to re-install.
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
Reply
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
Reply
post #3 of 13
I did read somewhere that you might have to reinstall 10.2.6
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by gsxrboy
I did read somewhere that you might have to reinstall 10.2.6

I think this is likely.

I did some investigating in the system log and it seems that the problem is because there are two versions of WebFoundation - the one within the older version of Safari that I'm now trying to use, and one within the main system Foundation framework that's been installed by the newer Safari build.

The OS is trying to use the version that's in System, instead of the older version within the application package - and presumably it's incompatible, which leaves me with a non-functional browser.
post #5 of 13
oh just use OW until the final version comes out on monday
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
post #6 of 13
Reformat. Reinstall.

That's what you get for installing pirated software and not at least checking the contents that it's installing first.

Or you could use OmniWeb 4.5 Beta until Safari 1.0 is released RSN.
post #7 of 13
I think that if you can get someone's webcore framework and install that you should be fine. Of course, as long as that person didn't install the v80 beta that's been going around.

edit: maybe it's the 'webkit.framework' you want. I dunno. I'll check around and see.
post #8 of 13
This is supposedly from macfixit on this issue (I say supposedly because I got it from a third party... yahoo!'s aapl boards), so take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
UPDATE: Uninstall process The following process should work for reverting to Safari v74 if you installed the unauthorized v80 release:

Login as the root user
Trash Safari and the WebKit.framework (use the Find function to locate it)
Copy the Foundation.framework (again, use the Find function) from another Mac.
Re-apply the Mac OS X 10.2.6 combo update.
Reboot, reset your preferences and reinstall Safari 74

You don't need to log in as root to do this. You could do it from the CLI by using sudo instead.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks - that was pretty much what I'd figured out I needed to do.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Gee4orce
How does one go about totally removing and re-installing Safari? I'm talking here about certain beta builds that might have -ahem- got accidentally installed on my computer . The ones that came in an installer .pkg instead of just a disk image...



I need to remove all trace of it because even re-installing the 'proper' beta build doesn't work any more - I can't even get Safari to show an empty window.



No - I can't re-run the installer, it say's this machine is invalid and won't let me proceed. Logging out and restarting have no effect. Tried deleting /System/Librar/Webthingumy too....



Please help !

Finder/services/finder/reveal/search
Choose search everywhere
File name contains "safari"
search
Delete the lot.
redownload.8)
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Efalumpsandwoozles
Finder/services/finder/reveal/search
Choose search everywhere
File name contains "safari"
search
Delete the lot.
redownload.8)

Sorry, charlie. It's not that easy with the version we're talking about. It should be, but it isn't.
post #12 of 13
presing the apple key with the F key is lot quicker.
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
Reply
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
Reply
post #13 of 13
Take Look
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Clean install Safari ?