or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 26

post #1001 of 1072
Lastly, 1,000th post!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #1002 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Lastly, 1,000th post!

YOU BITCH...

I've been waiting an hour then you made me have a modem crash so you could post.

I spit on you and say you will never have a G5
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think that sardines will be thrown overboard.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think that sardines will be thrown overboard.
post #1003 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by RedEric
Man,

I go away for the W/E and this thread has imploded.

I should have caught up by next Thursday.

Anyone want to do a summary for me?

DP PPC970 in August, SP maybe July, Panther in September, 30" Displays and Web cam tomorrow. SOS, nothing much has changed.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #1004 of 1072
post #1005 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
Ye-gads! What has become of the public school systems? I wouldn't even enter the fray but this is overly painful...

Q: What are the 5 W's of good journalistic writing?

A: Who, What, Why, Where, When.

Apply Occams Razor. Now someone please pull a significat portion of the threads collective head out of the 'W' toilet.

Thank you, I applied Occam's Razor (that's the razor belonging to Occam, see your own public schools quote) and now I'm smooth and buff with a slight minty freshness and the delicate scent of pine needles.

I don't actually know what the 'W' thing is all about so for all I knew Moki could have said:

"....the secret of all Apples future products begins with 'W' and rhymes with anchor..."

In which case I would assume that he was reffering to you.
post #1006 of 1072
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #1007 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
Moki's cryptic 'W' post.

I see, thanks 709 :o)
post #1008 of 1072
post #1009 of 1072
Carpetfluff....that was hilarious.

Generally - I am amazed that people find moki's comment "cryptic" - seems pretty straightforward to me, especially in light of his earlier comments in this thread.

Fish
post #1010 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc
Carpetfluff....that was hilarious.

Generally - I am amazed that people find moki's comment "cryptic" - seems pretty straightforward to me, especially in light of his earlier comments in this thread.

Fish

Ahh yes but that means that you have to have read all of the posts in this thread to know what he said and in what context.

I doubt there are many here that have followed the thread all the way through. I got to page 15 and went away for 2 nights to find it was up to 25 pages and, Moki had said somehting about somehting that might have something to do with Water

I guess that with Water, that means were getting a new Aqua interface?
post #1011 of 1072
Good point, RedEric....actually, I haven't followed the thread all the way through, but I DO tend to do a "find" for moki's posts periodically, since I enjoy them so much and think he is about the best source of info on this forum, so I have kept up on his view of things.

OK, let me sum up what I have seen moki post recently about the 970 and WWDC....in fact, I will do a few searches and try to refresh my memory and make things chronological...

In another thread (about the eweek article on Smeagol), moki referred to that article as being full of "manure". Someone else stated as fact (I think that was the way they put it) that:

* Power PC 970 introduced at WWDC.
* Availability? Immediatly or within 2 weeks for Single processor machines. Probably 1.4 and 1.8 ghz.
* Dual processors to follow within another 2-3 weeks.

To which moki replied: "You are setting yourself up for a big disappointment". Now, that leaves us wondering - what part of that expectation will be disappointing?

Well, Moki later pointed out, in response to the cnet article on Apple using hypertransport, that the G4 does not support hypertransport. He made no obvious suggestion that the cnet article was wrong, which argues FOR 970s on the way. Also note that in the more distant past (last winter), moki was suggesting this coming fall as a reasonable time to expect 970s.

Later in that thread, moki said "There will be some heavy things about at WWDC just don't expect to be able to carry 'em home". Again, this strongly points towards the SHOWING of 970s at WWDC, and AGAINST them being available, in his opinion. This then led to a ton of conjecture about whether moki was referring to physical weight or meant "heavy" in the colloquial sense.

Now, moving to this thread - moki noted the specs at Apple's store, but seemed to accept it as a real slipup. He also firmly stated that the macwhispers tale of 970 powerbooks at WWDC was nonsense.

on page 20 of this thread, he again states that G5 PBs are nonexistent, and that rumors of 970 produciton beginning last May are not true.

Then (finally!) we get to the main pojnt of this post - the "W" comment. Someone (I think the person in the eweek thread who listed those expectations) said to moki:

"I am still curious as to what it is you think I will be disappointed about. Is it that I expected too much? Or perhaps I expected too little?"

To which he replied:

""What" is the wrong "W" word".

Given that moki said there will be "heavy" things at WWDC (and the ancillary evidence), I think we can accept that at least ONE of the "what"s to appear at WWDC will be the 970 PM. But given his statement that you won't be able to take anything home, I think the proper "W" is clearly "when". Where is a given, who is nonsensical (unless you think it may not be IBMs 970), why is silly, so ....."when".

OK - sorry for the lengthy recap - I think I am avoiding work!

Fish
post #1012 of 1072
Here's another interesting post by moki in another thread.

"No cryptic messages. No veiled statements. No name, no slogan. I'm happy to say regarding the prices on the new G5 PowerMacs pre-announced tourettes syndrome-style on Apple's web store: I haven't a clue in the world what they'll sell for.

Hopefully they will be reasonably priced, as I'd like to pick one up"

Yeah, but what about PRICES! (new dance pending)
post #1013 of 1072
Quote:
Given that moki said there will be "heavy" things at WWDC (and the ancillary evidence), I think we can accept that at least ONE of the "what"s to appear at WWDC will be the 970 PM. But given his statement that you won't be able to take anything home, I think the proper "W" is clearly "when". Where is a given, who is nonsensical (unless you think it may not be IBMs 970), why is silly, so ....."when".

Or maybe...."Who".

I wonder how heavy Itanium is?

*zips up flame suit*
post #1014 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
Or maybe...."Who".

Maybe Steve Jobs is going to step down. (Hope not...)
post #1015 of 1072
So I was smokin' some crack last night and it got me thinking. Could the W stand for WHICH? If there are reports from German of two different towers- one that's white (ala imac/ibook) and the other (grey/metal? I forget what it was).... could one be a consumer tower and the other be a pro workstation? And then I was thinking........ would Apple still use the Motorola G5? They could use it in the consumer tower. And use the IBM 970 in the pro workstation tower. So possibly the leaked specs are only for the consumer G5 tower. And Smeagal could be the code name hinting that it works on the both towers.. the two towers (LOTR). \
post #1016 of 1072
Quote:
OK - sorry for the lengthy recap - I think I am avoiding work!

Fish

Thanks, Fish, you have it exactly.

And again about the two tower products theory: Where would you fit those different products in terms of the price structure? Baby towers at current high prices and big "full" towers at completely insane prices? Nope. Nix that.
post #1017 of 1072
Thanks for the summing up fishdoc.

I did do a search for Moki's posts but wasn't really able to understand them out of context. I too started following this thread from page 1 but it has expanded in a crazy fashion and is now mostly full of crap.

I site everything I have contributed as a prime example of this.

Still, tomorrow we will finally know whether or not we will finally know anything or not.
post #1018 of 1072
The "W" is "Who", the answer is Larry Ellison and Scott McNeely. Oracle Buys Sun and Apple (along with PeopleSoft) and make a combined run at M$ with Panther as the platform and
OpenOffice part of the bundle.
post #1019 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by kingl
The "W" is "Who", the answer is Larry Ellison and Scott McNeely. Oracle Buys Sun and Apple (along with PeopleSoft) and make a combined run at M$ with Panther as the platform and
OpenOffice part of the bundle.

Can I have some of whatever you're on?
...and I would have succeeded too, if it wasn't for those pesky God and Jesus fellows. - Eddie Izzard
...and I would have succeeded too, if it wasn't for those pesky God and Jesus fellows. - Eddie Izzard
post #1020 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Flippy
Can I have some of whatever you're on?

Shouldn't that read Whatever?
post #1021 of 1072
1 ghz Ti, Superdrive | Dual 2Ghz Powermac | 17" LCD | 30 Gig iPod |1GB iPod Shuffle|
1 ghz Ti, Superdrive | Dual 2Ghz Powermac | 17" LCD | 30 Gig iPod |1GB iPod Shuffle|
post #1022 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by boba fett
https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437

coincidence?

Old hat sorry, already posted in loads of places.
post #1023 of 1072
What happened to "Options, we like options."

only one chip 970 is great but picking one from one doesn't really give you a lot of options.

Will monday tell us?

Ominous organ sound: Doo dooo dooo......
post #1024 of 1072
less than 24 hours, people. we're almost there.
need for speed
need for speed
post #1025 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Akumulator
So I was smokin' some crack last night and it got me thinking. Could the W stand for WHICH? If there are reports from German of two different towers- one that's white (ala imac/ibook) and the other (grey/metal? I forget what it was).... could one be a consumer tower and the other be a pro workstation? And then I was thinking........ would Apple still use the Motorola G5? They could use it in the consumer tower. And use the IBM 970 in the pro workstation tower. So possibly the leaked specs are only for the consumer G5 tower. And Smeagal could be the code name hinting that it works on the both towers.. the two towers (LOTR). \

There is no Motorola G5, the project failed and was aborted. Even the 7457 rm has aborted, and the regular 7457 is not avalaible.
The PPC 970 is supposed to be cheaper than the 7455 : there is no more reason for Apple to use the G4, but more reasons to go to an all PPC 970 (except may be for the I book, but more for marketings reasons than technical ones).
post #1026 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardf12
What happened to "Options, we like options."

only one chip 970 is great but picking one from one doesn't really give you a lot of options.

Will monday tell us?

Ominous organ sound: Doo dooo dooo......

Perhaps each 970 will be available with different fruity flavoured coating. Apple will externally mount the chip and regular licking has been incorporated as part of the new cooling system.
post #1027 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by futuremac
i called the applestore twice and got some british? sounding salesmen who told me that there is no such thing as a "g5" and refused to belive that this had ever happened at the online us apple store. he said "we dont belive that happened, the rumor sites are wrong"

one guy even gave me his "euro.apple.com" email address to send him a pic of the image. since he didn't belive me i didn't send it, i figure he'll find out soon enough...

(the british accent is so cool!)

does apple normally outsource their phone sales dept to britan?

British accent? Probably someone in Bangalore.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #1028 of 1072
The Spec's of the G5 sound excellent. Better than I expected (dual 1.6 or pehaps 1.8 and the hope of a single 2.Ghz). Is the FSB really 1.GHz?
How does the FSB comapre to a crossbar as per highend workgroup+ servers?

Dobby.
post #1029 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
bullets and dashes sometimes become question marks when copying and pasting text. this has happened for years.

makes me wonder ... we're talking about 1ghz buses and 2ghz cpus etc & etc ... yet this computer industry can't fix such a small stupid bug ...
:
but it's/its been fun ... spent all sunday reading this thread ... and it is already MONDAY here ...
:
and - WOW ...
post #1030 of 1072
Yeah it's Monday here too!

I was sitting in the garden all afternoon reading these 26 pages on my PB w/ AE. And got a nice tan, too

18 hours and 22 minutes to go.

Holy shit.
--
The draught is over.
Get ready to fight back for the Mac.
--
The draught is over.
Get ready to fight back for the Mac.
post #1031 of 1072
AAAHHHHH...everyone stop posting, I'm on page 21 and I can't catch up!!! (Just Kidding)

Now it is time for Jobs to give Peter Jackson a call and superimpose his face onto that of Gandalfs for the next big Apple commercial with the simple and succinct scene....

[From a brilliant backlight...]

"I come to you now...at the turn of the tide."

[Fade to black....glowing Apple logo...]
post #1032 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
I'm not sure if it has been posted before (well, it is at future hardware, but no one seems to go over there anymore) but this concept site is wicked cool. Some sort of student project (not all videos work). At least there is some originality.

Could someone translate the French in the movie titled "Pomme"?

(I know what pomme means, I mean the spoken french at the beginning and end of the clip)
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
post #1033 of 1072
Maybe moki's "W" is for WMD.
post #1034 of 1072
W = Whitegoods

That's right. Apple wanted a 5GHz 970, but the only way to do this on the current process was to attach an industrial-strength refrigeration unit. So the new top of the line workstations are about 5 feet tall and have an ice-cube dispenser. Sure it's no longer a "desktop", but it'll bitch-slap your buddy's Dell and keep your cola iceee cold. What more could you want?

post #1035 of 1072
w=wizard

the new PM G5 will be the official computer of Harry Potter...that should sell a few kabillion and get apple back on top of the education market

or

w=woz

woz himself will hand deliever each and every PM G5 sold...talk about "heavy"
wheels of zeus = woz rides a segway to deliver your pm

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #1036 of 1072
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Frogs have posted benchmarks for the new 970's!!!!

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...ate=2003-05-05

Complete with english translations.

The Pentium snail will return!!
post #1037 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by fatmac84
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Frogs have posted benchmarks for the new 970's!!!!

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...ate=2003-05-05

Complete with english translations.

The Pentium snail will return!!

That's old news and lots of people doubt the results. Anyway, we will see tomorrow morning
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #1038 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
I'm not sure if it has been posted before (well, it is at future hardware, but no one seems to go over there anymore) but this concept site is wicked cool. Some sort of student project (not all videos work). At least there is some originality.

Wicked indeed. Whaaaa. The best I've seen thus far. My favorite
post #1039 of 1072
FYI: Smalldog electronics only has 30 powermac G4 in stock. The other 21 (of 27) SKUs are listed at 7-10 days... (Apple store still showing same day delivery though)
post #1040 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by ebolazaire
FYI: Smalldog electronics only has 30 powermac G4 in stock. The other 21 (of 27) SKUs are listed at 7-10 days... (Apple store still showing same day delivery though)

AS clarification b4 I get creamed... 27 SKU's. 4 are in stock with 30 total units. 26 SKU's are out of stock. (Normally they have hundreds total in stock)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs