or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 9

post #321 of 1072
I'm not a lawyer, but I reckon Apple Legal is in action because if they don't attempt to shut down the specs, then their grounds for possible litigation against "WorkerBee 2"
will be limited.

Simply stated, if they let this slide, how then could they sue
the leaker since they didn't seem to care when it happened?

Just a theory...


Also, they have to provide the message that this stuff doesn't slide... ever. If you are in the know, then this is another warning that Apple is serious about leaks.
post #322 of 1072
"The world's fastest personal computer."

That just makes me laugh with excited anticipation.
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
Reply
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
Reply
post #323 of 1072
Why couldn't they have leaked the Powerbook specs as well. It is the year of the notebook...
post #324 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
However i don't think that mistake is necessary bad for them.

Everyone and there aunt, uncle, brother, and cousin are gonna run to apple stores to watch the broadcast. Hopefully apple will have the machines in the stores to play with. I hope this sh#t is all over every media channel, "Apple to release fastest personal computer ever" IMO this leak is great for apple, as long as its true that is
post #325 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
Everyone and there aunt, uncle, brother, and cousin are gonna run to apple stores to watch the broadcast. Hopefully apple will have the machines in the stores to play with. I hope this sh#t is all over every media channel, "Apple to release fastest personal computer ever" IMO this leak is great for apple, as long as its true that is

Well, it's on news.com already.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
Reply
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
Reply
post #326 of 1072
Wait, you mean we have to wait 3 more days to see if its true or not?!?!

Hopefully the doubt felt in all of us gives way to Diahria felt by all of us come monday.
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
Reply
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
Reply
post #327 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by iSegway
Could someone explain the significance of this? What is optical audio line in? what can be done with this? Is this just for audio professionals or afficianados or can everyone use this?

It would make a nice two way connection to an HT receiver.
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
post #328 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1416
The image itself would by copyrighted by them, so they can legitimately demand its removal, and possibly disallow quoting the exact text. But I don't think they have a valid action against a site that paraphrases the contents; facts aren't copyrightable, and its status as a trade secret is out the window. Regardless, it really doesn't matter what Apple Legal does, the horses are miles from the barn door by now.

The image is too short and unoriginal to be copyrighted. Copyright law has restrictions for stuff like that.

Trade secret doesn't apply.

Apple has no legal basis (other than: "We'll tie you up for years in the courts") to take down the image.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Reply
post #329 of 1072
Don't know if this is true, but someone posted on Macnn forums that they checked E-trade tonight and that Apple stock was already up to $26 after closeing today at $19.

This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Another thing is that Machack is going on right now...maybe those dudes are getting their revenge with Apple for upstaging their little shindig by hacking the apple store. Doubtful, but who knows.
post #330 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
Well, it's on news.com already.

I wonder if they are gonna ask cnet to cease and desist

edit: hey we're not a "Mac enthusiast site" we are the "Mac enthusiast site"
post #331 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by craiger77
Don't know if this is true, but someone posted on Macnn forums that they checked E-trade tonight and that Apple stock was already up to $26 after closeing today at $19.

Sort of. The ask is at $25.96 as of 30 seconds ago, but bid is at $18.95.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/invest/quo...d=AAPL:NSDQ:EQ
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #332 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by craiger77
Don't know if this is true, but someone posted on Macnn forums that they checked E-trade tonight and that Apple stock was already up to $26 after closeing today at $19.

This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they would might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Another thing is that Machack is going on right now...maybe those dudes are getting their revenge with Apple for upstaging their little shindig by hacking the apple store. Doubtful, but who knows.

Apple would not be manipulating their stock price illegally by posting computer specs on their own website. Most companies say whats going to be announced months or years in advance...nothing illegal here.
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
Reply
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
Reply
post #333 of 1072
I just checked eTrade, Apple is still listed at 19.14 a share. Extended hours trading closed before the leak.
What it opens at tomorrow will be interesting....
post #334 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by slice
I'm not a lawyer, but I reckon Apple Legal is in action because if they don't attempt to shut down the specs, then their grounds for possible litigation against "WorkerBee 2"
will be limited.

Simply stated, if they let this slide, how then could they sue
the leaker since they didn't seem to care when it happened?

Just a theory...


Also, they have to provide the message that this stuff doesn't slide... ever. If you are in the know, then this is another warning that Apple is serious about leaks.

I am a lawyer. They're not going to sue WorkerBee 2, they'll just fire him.

What's the point of suing him after firing him? All that would do is continue to remind everyone about what an incredible ****-up this was, as the media reports on the lawsuit.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Reply
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Reply
post #335 of 1072
Quote:
This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they would might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Maybe if the information was false,then I could see that, but how can you get in trouble for releasing true information?
post #336 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by craiger77
Don't know if this is true, but someone posted on Macnn forums that they checked E-trade tonight and that Apple stock was already up to $26 after closeing today at $19.

This is one reason why I doubt this is an Apple teaser...they would might get in hot water for manipulating their stock price.

Another thing is that Machack is going on right now...maybe those dudes are getting their revenge with Apple for upstaging their little shindig by hacking the apple store. Doubtful, but who knows.

No Sh*t! I didn't even think about that.

I want to see what CNN, TechTV, MSNBC, and NBC have to say about this in the morning? This is going to rock the world!
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #337 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by iSegway
Could someone explain the significance of this? What is optical audio line in? what can be done with this? Is this just for audio professionals or afficianados or can everyone use this?

Optical Line I/O allows you to recieve and send out digital sound. Most folks would see an immediate benefit by hooking up their mac to a Surround Sound reciever and piping the sound from a dvd through it. The digital sound signal carries all the surround information that the receiver needs.

As for the Optical IN part, I suspect the this can be better taken advantage of at a professional level, but I can think of a couple ways it could benefit the average user.

Also, because it's a digital signal, there's no need for any sort of conversion, which allows you to have a much clearer sound since there's no middleman to process the sound.

that's my understanding anyway. clarifications are welcome...
post #338 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by mpls244
I am a lawyer. They're not going to sue WorkerBee 2, they'll just fire him.

What's the point of suing him after firing him? All that would do is continue to remind everyone about what an incredible ****-up this was, as the media reports on the lawsuit.


They litigated against the original WorkerBee....
Although was he an actual employee? I'm thinking
he may just have been a sub-contractor.

Nonetheless, employees have contracts too.. and this would certainly be breach of contract.
post #339 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
So...if the G5 has optical out, to me that implies 5.1 and 7.1 sound. Does that in turn imply that Apple's DVD player is updated as well? Or did it always support surround sound, but never had an appropriate connection to send the sound through?

Oh, and in case if haven't said it already...
Wheee!!!

Surround sound hasn't been supported up until now. It may not be until Panther is released, but at least the G5 (I can call it that now, right?) will be ready to support it hardware-wise.

I'll just be happy to have some use for my minidisc player again.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Reply
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Reply
post #340 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by craiger77
Another thing is that Machack is going on right now...maybe those dudes are getting their revenge with Apple for upstaging their little shindig by hacking the apple store. Doubtful, but who knows.

Hmmm... See anything suspicious here:


Shucks. I gotta work tomorrow. I better go off to bed. I can't wait to see the reactions tomorrow. Just one last time: HOLY SHIT!

Ok. Goodnight
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Reply
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Reply
post #341 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights
Surround sound hasn't been supported up until now. It may not be until Panther is released, but at least the G5 (I can call it that now, right?) will be ready to support it hardware-wise.

I'll just be happy to have some use for my minidisc player again.

Heh, and now I have a justification for buying 5.1 speakers for my office.
post #342 of 1072
I think this is bad for apple...
What if the stats in that pic reflected the models late after the intro of the G5? Who would buy a mac knowing the power to be later released?

I pity the fool who buys a "top of the line" PM G4 late Sunday night.

The 1ghz bus is nice considering Intel had a lot of trouble getting a 800mhz FSB working on there new line of P4s.

With a 1 GHz Bus the clock multiplier will be like 2. (I know, I know!)

Steve keep the power commin'
post #343 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
No Sh*t! I didn't even think about that.

I want to see what CNN, TechTV, MSNBC, and NBC have to say about this in the morning? This is going to rock the world!


um..... hopefull you'll come down to earth soon
post #344 of 1072
Dear Apple

While your there opening that cat full of bags and those gates holding back the horses could you leak out the POWERBOOK 970 specs please. I want to sell a few things on the weekend.

Thanks

A loyal customer
weev
Reply
weev
Reply
post #345 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by slice
They litigated against the original WorkerBee....
Although was he an actually employee? I'm thinking
he may just have been a contractor.

Nonetheless, employees have contracts too.. and this would certainly be breach of contract.

I was assuming that this was a mistake by WorkerBee 2, not an intentional act.

If it was intentional, Apple probably would sue him.

Personally I have a hard time believing that an Apple employee or contractor would intentionally risk their job for a stunt like this.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Reply
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Reply
post #346 of 1072
OK OK! We all need to take a deep breath about this.
Now that we've done that, can we get back to discussing the exciting iPod 2.01 software that just came out? Look at all the bug fixes!
post #347 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by mpls244
I was assuming that this was a mistake by WorkerBee 2, not an intentional act.

If it was intentional, Apple probably would sue him.

Personally I have a hard time believing that an Apple employee or contractor would intentionally risk their job for a stunt like this.


I think this was a glitch - image name the same, akamai, there you go...
weev
Reply
weev
Reply
post #348 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes
I think this is bad for apple...
What if the stats in that pic reflected the models late after the intro of the G5? Who would buy a mac knowing the power to be later released?

I pity the fool who buys a "top of the line" PM G4 late Sunday night.

The 1ghz bus is nice considering Intel had a lot of trouble getting a 800mhz FSB working on there new line of P4s.

With a 1 GHz Bus the clock multiplier will be like 2. (I know, I know!)

Steve keep the power commin'

If I understand your post, you're afraid these specs are for Version 2 machines? I don't think Apple would be entirely sure what the specs will be yet, let alone send them off to the web team to create graphics. I could be completely wrong (more often than not), and I know most companies do have long roadmaps, but it seems a bit er, premature, to even have graphic like this, if it was a Version 2 machine.

I'm not sure if that made sense or not, but it's nearly 1am, so I'm not surprised.

edit: nope, not at all, but I'll leave it.
post #349 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
um..... hopefull you'll come down to earth soon

OK, so I'm a little excited. Can you blame me?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #350 of 1072
Wow.

wow.

....riffling through wallet...
...riffling through wife's purse...
....raiding kid's piggy bank...

dang.

wow.

Anyone want to buy a slightly soiled left sock
(the right one's got holes in it)? Mint Condition. Actually it's got a bit of mint near the heel. I think I stepped in something. Oh yes, it was my jaw just sitting there on the floor...and nearly all my bodily fluids.

This blows my mind
This blows my colon.

Thank you web dude. I needed something to keep me up tonight so that I can finish my deadline. Better than KMX.. Better than Red Bull. Leaked Apple info that is actually really good!
post #351 of 1072
I remember The apple store, and all of apple's site later, wasn't loading for me last night for a while.


ridiculously good news for apple should these Pmacs be for real.

of all the people to get hte info from, it had to be apple themselves I love it.
orange you just glad?
Reply
orange you just glad?
Reply
post #352 of 1072
Only 2GHz? It would take at least 2.3GHz to beat Intel's 3.2GHz P4 that will be introduced Monday. At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB. I don't even think the 2GHz machine will match the current 3.0GHz canterwood for most things given OS X's overhead. These PowerMacs will certainly be more expensive than comparable PCs.

Thumbs down.
post #353 of 1072
I want to point out that Apple supporting up to 8 gb of ram is very huge in itself...Besides the "how" they are going to do it, it proves that OSX WILL indeed be 64-bit compliant "out-of-the-box". Because of course with the current 32-bit iteration, the max is "only" 4gb. I could be wrong on this, but I think it is accurate. So if the leak is indeed true, which I have all reason to believe so of course, then this is yet another great piece of info.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
post #354 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by elmlish
Wow.

wow.

....riffling through wallet...
...riffling through wife's purse...
....raiding kid's piggy bank...

dang.

wow.

Anyone want to buy a slightly soiled left sock
(the right one's got holes in it)? Mint Condition. Actually it's got a bit of mint near the heel. I think I stepped in something. Oh yes, it was my jaw just sitting there on the floor...and nearly all my bodily fluids.

This blows my mind
This blows my colon.

Thank you web dude. I needed something to keep me up tonight so that I can finish my deadline. Better than KMX.. Better than Red Bull. Leaked Apple info that is actually really good!

ROTFL!

<OT>Is it riffling, rifling, or riffiling?</OT>
post #355 of 1072
Will there be an Apple Press Release tomarrow?
post #356 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
ROTFL!

<OT>Is it riffling, rifling, or riffiling?</OT>

I'm not sure...
the only one Mail.apps spell checker doesn't like is #3. riffiling.
post #357 of 1072
i can't decide if i want to know what the prices are or what the case looks like more. the waiting hurts... so... bad...
post #358 of 1072
Existence - umm...no dude. you're an idiot. sorry, reboot and try again
post #359 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Only 2GHz? It would take at least 2.3GHz to beat Intel's 3.2GHz P4 that will be introduced Monday. At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB.

Yeah, cause it's sooo old.

Quote:
I don't even think the 2GHz machine will match the current 3.0GHz canterwood for most things given OS X's overhead. These PowerMacs will certainly be more expensive than comparable PCs.

Thumbs down. [/B]

Oh, yes, well of course. We should all just sit down and wait for Apple to give us a 10GHz machine for $20.00USD.
post #360 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Only 2GHz? It would take at least 2.3GHz to beat Intel's 3.2GHz P4 that will be introduced Monday. At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB. I don't even think the 2GHz machine will match the current 3.0GHz canterwood for most things given OS X's overhead. These PowerMacs will certainly be more expensive than comparable PCs.

Thumbs down.

That's almost funny. But Panther is going to be the biggest story of the show. Put it all together, and drool baby!

You can keep your windoze box. I'll stick with my Mac's.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs