or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 10

post #361 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
That's almost funny. But Panther is going to be the biggest story of the show. Put it all together, and drool baby!

Yeah! What he said!

(sorry to suck more bandwidth, but, oooo, grrrrr )
post #362 of 1072
Quote:
At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB.

I guess that's relevant if all you do is run SPEC all day long...

It's a bit early to be making predictions of how well the machines will stack up to PCs.
post #363 of 1072
Oh my God!

That's the fastest I've ever gotten sober.

Won't be able to sleep tonight figuring out what I'm selling to buy a new PM.

"WAY BEYOND THE RUMORS SITES" IS REALLY TRUE THIS TIME!

8)
post #364 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
ROTFL!

<OT>Is it riffling, rifling, or riffiling?</OT>

from www.dictionary.com:

ri·fle2 __ (_P_)__Pronunciation Key__(rfl)
v. ri·fled, ri·fling, ri·fles
v. tr.
To search with intent to steal.
To ransack or plunder; pillage.
To rob: rifle a safe.
post #365 of 1072
Has anyone stopped giggling yet?
post #366 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by elmlish
from www.dictionary.com:

ri·fle2 __ (_P_)__Pronunciation Key__(rfl)
v. ri·fled, ri·fling, ri·fles
v. tr.
To search with intent to steal.
To ransack or plunder; pillage.
To rob: rifle a safe.

And there we have it! Thanks!
post #367 of 1072
Can you imagine if SJ walks out on stage, smiles, waits, puts his hand up to quiet the crowd, and then introduces Jimmy Smith. No one knows who he is, until Steve explains that he was the one responsible for tonight's screw up.

He'd probably get a longer stand-o than Steve!
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #368 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by gsxrboy
Has anyone stopped giggling yet?

Not me! But it does turn a leetle bit maniacal when I try to figure out how to get HP to buy me one.
post #369 of 1072
Just made the front page of MacCentral at 11:54pm West.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #370 of 1072
Do you think we should contact these guys just in case they havent seen the news yet?

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/contact.htm
post #371 of 1072
I've been asleep for hours, wake up and start randomly hitting my regular bookmarks.
I hit the top level of these forums and see about 300 members logged on and think "wow, that seems odd".

Now I understand why and I'm busting out the Lagavulin to celebrate!
post #372 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Only 2GHz? It would take at least 2.3GHz to beat Intel's 3.2GHz P4 that will be introduced Monday. At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB. I don't even think the 2GHz machine will match the current 3.0GHz canterwood for most things given OS X's overhead. These PowerMacs will certainly be more expensive than comparable PCs.

Thumbs down.

Oh, Go to hell.

And as for the rest of us, Tonight we gonna party like it's 1999!!!
(that was the last time Apple had the fastest computer)

post #373 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bob
"WAY BEYOND THE RUMORS SITES" IS REALLY TRUE THIS TIME!

Hehehe... steve's going to have to revise his statement:
"Way beyond, way, ... erm... I mean, right on par with rumor sites. Like, exactly the same as the rumor sites."
<shameless plug>
http://zip.to/tenthousandinthreemonths/
</shameless plug>
<shameless plug>
http://zip.to/tenthousandinthreemonths/
</shameless plug>
post #374 of 1072
I just thought of something, and forgive me if I'm wrong..

But maybe this was on purpose. Isn't Intel due to announce an upgrade that might have interfered with the WWDC event? Could this be a covert pre-emptive strike against Intel or anyoen else stealing the thunder? Is ANYONE in the industry NOT going to be covering this event now? There's still the case details, panther details, and shipment and pricing details.

Just a thought.
"There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise, like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." --William S. Burroughs
"There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise, like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." --William S. Burroughs
post #375 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Kecksy
God damit! Only one dual machine? Lame!

You ought to get banned.. This is one of the biggest things in Apple history...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi
Wow...MOSR was right on!

Sad... Somehow...?
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
WOW. Where do I start?

First, hats off to Steve. Here's a guy who sees a problem and gets things done.

Yeah.. Now he has even more followers...
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
Whoa.

How can the new PM have "Three" USB 2.0 ports?

Two on the back, two on the keyboard. That's how Apple counts them. (e.g. Apple's specs say the iMac has five USB ports.)

Did they gut one on the keyboard? Does that make sense?

Maybe they learned how to count now?
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
This mistake could be a fantastic and free advertising for Apple.
With this "error" you can be sure that all the media will take attention of the WWDC.

We have the specs but don't have the case.

I am not so sure that it is an error ...

Then it would be the biggest and most risky PR stunt ever attempted...

And you know what? Looks like it might even work!

[Homervoice]
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
[/Homervoice]

And for the poor guy if it wasnt on purpose...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #376 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Only 2GHz? It would take at least 2.3GHz to beat Intel's 3.2GHz P4 that will be introduced Monday. At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB. I don't even think the 2GHz machine will match the current 3.0GHz canterwood for most things given OS X's overhead. These PowerMacs will certainly be more expensive than comparable PCs.

Thumbs down.

heh heh heh...hah hah hah...HAH HAH HAHAAAAHHH...
/wipes tear from eye

You are so funny, good joke!
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
post #377 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich
I want to point out that Apple supporting up to 8 gb of ram is very huge in itself...Besides the "how" they are going to do it, it proves that OSX WILL indeed be 64-bit compliant "out-of-the-box". Because of course with the current 32-bit iteration, the max is "only" 4gb. I could be wrong on this, but I think it is accurate. So if the leak is indeed true, which I have all reason to believe so of course, then this is yet another great piece of info.

Being able to stick 8GB of RAM into a computer is one thing. Being able to support8GB is another.

Off Topic: does anybody else get a slight tinge of fear every time you see the words "applenut" and "moderator" together?
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #378 of 1072
Interesting that the fibre optic audio is standard across the whole line--it isn't listed for just certain models (which is how Bluetooth is listed in the same bullet list for imacs).

I don't think the 8 GB RAM max means Panther is ready now. I think they'll ship before Panther, and will need Panther to address the extra RAM. I expect that on the full specs page there will be an asterisk by the 8 GB.

I hope you can get SOME kind of bare-bones G5 for under $2000.
post #379 of 1072
Btw, could someone give a bright briefing on what Digital audio means for us mortals and for the pro's? (The mrs... Strangely enough..)
post #380 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
I hope you can get SOME kind of bare-bones G5 for under $2000.

I'm pretty certain the single 1.6 GHz G5 will be less than $2000. After all, the 970 is cheaper for Apple than the G4 is... oh yeah.
- Apple certified service tech
- Mac user since 1985
- All around Mac dork
- Apple certified service tech
- Mac user since 1985
- All around Mac dork
post #381 of 1072
Actually, that was a mistake. Those are the details on the new, wallet-sized iPod.

Wait'll you see the new PowerMacs....
post #382 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
ROTFL!

<OT>Is it riffling, rifling, or riffiling?</OT>

Well, that depends... Are you asking (1) how Steve Jobs will pronounce the last word in this sentence: "Tie him up! Prepare him for a rifling!"

...or...

(2) What is the proper spelling when you've gone completely insane, awake way too late at night, thinking about a computer you won't even be able to buy?

2) Does it matter?
post #383 of 1072
For all you who can't wait for G5 Powerbooks (or even iMacs) take a look at what Macwhispers just posted: http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000078.php
Just something to get your hopes up
8)
post #384 of 1072
Regardless of whether this was a hack or a mistake or a conscious decision by Apple, does it really make any difference? I mean, was anyone who will likely see this information (ie, someone who at least pays tacit attention to Apple news) really planning on buying a new PowerMac G4 in the next 3 days (and next 1 business day)?
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
post #385 of 1072
Mac Whispers, who's credibility is now increased, has posted this whopper of a story. The ENTIRE Apple product line (Powerbooks, Xserves and even iMac)s will go G5 by Christmas.

"June 20, 2003
Out On A Limb: Our WWDC Predictions

This past week has been interesting to us, as we have made a specific effort to touch base one last time with as many of our OEM channel contacts as possible, prior to Monday's WWDC keynote. Our goal was to get a more specific sense of what the people actually working in and around Apple's production operations believe is coming insofar as new products, when those products will appear, and the performance levels to expect. At the risk of a huge blow to our already tenuous credibility, we have chosen to publish those very surprising findings.

What we have discovered is a pool of manufacturing personnel in Apple's behind the scenes operations that is convinced that the bulk of the common-wisdom based predictions recently appearing about Apple's upcoming product releases is wrong. The consensus we found is that all of the published predictions are completely too conservative... way, way, strikingly, preposterously too conservative. If all, or even most of the bits of information we gleaned this week are true, what we will see next week, and during the next 30 to 45-days thereafter will turn not only the Apple community, but the entire PC world on their heads.

The PowerPC 970

Speeds are faster than the 1.4Ghz to 1.8GHz range that has been most commonly mentioned... perhaps, much, much faster. The product list ready or very nearly ready to release around PowerPC 970 processors is longer than previously believed... perhaps much, much longer. And, the aggressiveness with which Apple is approaching the PowerPC 970 transition is being more intensely and more competently pursued than has been believed. In other words, the whispers from Taiwan are all in unison telling one specific story: the PowerPC 970 platform is ready now... across the Apple board.

We still have not been able to get anyone to provide details on specific hardware products; in fact, we have been told that Apple has very assertively passed the word to all suppliers to "keep their mouths shut" about PowerPC 970 related activity. But, there is a general mood of enthusiasm and almost giddy excitement widespread among the many companies doing the work to bring us this new hardware. They say that it would be very difficult to over-predict how suddenly the entire Apple world is going to be scaled up to a pretty startling new level of performance.

The Prediction

We believe that the complete Power Macintosh G5 line is ready to bring to market, today. We also believe that not only is the 15.4-inch Powerbook ready to go, but that both the 17 and 12-inch variants are much, much closer to seeing daylight in new PPC 970 trim than anyone would have believed. We have been told that the Xserve PPC 970 versions have been completed. And, we heard a credible assertion just yesterday that the iMac platform is "within only weeks" of seeing a move to the PPC 970, as well.

In all, the word on our wire is that Apple has been even busier and more successful than our most fanciful, optimistic thinking would have previously allowed us to believe. The PowerPC 970 transition is not going to come as a protracted series of minor trickles, stretched out over a 12 to 18-month period; it is coming in a dizzying, mad rush, between now and Christmas. And, it all starts Monday, with Steve Jobs' 2-hour keynote address at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Prepare to be amazed."
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #386 of 1072
isn't JYD gonna have a sick little act to perform now?
post #387 of 1072
Nah, it's all just marketing strategy about making as big a "media splash" as possible. It's what Apple is so good at. Trying to save up maximum surprise and impact for maximum cheering and bedazzlement when Steve announces the dual 2Ghz G5 on Monday.

Now we won't be so surprised. But we'll cheer like hell anyway.
post #388 of 1072
First those are the specs for the new PowerMacs. Apple was not hacked. It was a cache "ghost" image from Akamai.

Second the PCI or PCI-X means that the slot is PCI and has the extra part for PCI-X tailing on the end. That means all the slots are PCI-X and backwards compatible with PCI.

8 GB of RAM is not very far fetched. I have 6 GB in my office workstation.

The rest of you posting about how it says 2 GB at the bottom, IT'S IRRELEVANT. The only IMAGE that was replaced was the one at the top. Everything else was just the old page. THe only info HAVING anything to do with the G5 is the one image at the top.
post #389 of 1072
Don't overlook this comment at MacWhispers under that story:

"And, my understanding is that the .GIF image briefly on the Apple Store web page was an internal hack... not "Apple inadvertently..."

Posted by MacWhispers at June 20, 2003 02:16 AM "

That would be devastating if it was an internal hack...
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #390 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by craiger77
For all you who can't wait for G5 Powerbooks (or even iMacs) take a look at what Macwhispers just posted: http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000078.php
8)

if macwhispers is even remotely correct...all i can say is **** a duck, i will be spending lots of money this year

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #391 of 1072
Hmm, I don't know about the MacWhispers story. Now that's something that just sounds too good to be true. Plus the MacWhispers guy is pretty unreliable, if you ask me.

I'm sure Apple is going to make the G5 transition really fast -- just to make up for lost time -- but I can't believe they're going to want to cannibalize their juicy, long-awaited, high-margin PowerMac sales by throwing G5s into everything in the next two months. As if that would even be possible.

Next six to eight months, though... That would be awesome.
post #392 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
Don't overlook this comment at MacWhispers under that story:

"And, my understanding is that the .GIF image briefly on the Apple Store web page was an internal hack... not "Apple inadvertently..."

Posted by MacWhispers at June 20, 2003 02:16 AM "

That would be incredibly bad. It Jack Whispers really believes that though, it's strange he didn't say so in his actual article.

post #393 of 1072
devestating yes, but still...they would be powerful as hell...and that's all that matters
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #394 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax

The Mac world as we know it slip into a state of depression from which we could never escape without years and years of therapy. Honestly, if someone was capable of getting in there, making up and image, and loading it on the store, it is my assumption that they'd go as far fetched as possible. They'd post numbers like, "Quad 50Ghz G6, 90GB DDRAM", and what have you.

At least, that's what I would do
post #395 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by craiger77
8)

bleh, he's full of it concerning the 970 PowerBooks.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Carpe Aqua -- Snapz Pro X 2.0.2 for OS X..... Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro 1.1.0 for OS X
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Carpe Aqua -- Snapz Pro X 2.0.2 for OS X..... Your digital recording device -- WireTap Pro 1.1.0 for OS X
post #396 of 1072
I still think if it was a hack the hacker would have been far less subtle about it.
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #397 of 1072
Btw, could someone give a bright briefing on what Digital audio means for us mortals and for the pro's? (The mrs... Strangely enough..)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Macs have always been on the forefront with Pro Audio.

The digital audio i/o means more for the mortals than the pros. The pros will most likely still use PCI cards or the new Firewire interfaces (digidesign or motu).

But for the prosumers this means a lot. Not only home theater applications, but a much better and higher quality integration with OSX Core Audio. This supports Apple's recent acuisition of Logic.

Apple wants us all to edit with Final Cut, composite with Shake and mix/record with Logic.
post #398 of 1072
i can't help but notice that lemon hasn't posted here yet. I can't wait to hear his reaction to this 2nd coming of Apple.

*charges the RDF*

*realises there is no need for it this time round .. and smiles*
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #399 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Hmm, I don't know about the MacWhisper story. Now that sounds too good to be true.

I'm sure Apple is going to make the G5 transition really fast -- just to make up for lost time -- but I can't believe they're going to want to cannibalize their juicy, long-awaited, high-margin PowerMac sales by throwing G5s into everything in the next two months. If that would even be possible.

Well, I agree that it sounds a bit far-fetched. But at the same time I've never seen Apple try so hard to get rid of product as right now. 12" PB and 17" iMacs for $1300. It's very, very odd. Revving everything sounds very, very difficult, though.

As for the margins - I disagree. 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 GHz 970s in PBs, iMacs, duals in the Xserves - the products differentiate themselves without worrying about holding CPUs up. Most people won't buy a tower instead of an iMac just because of the 970.

No, it seems that if dual 2.0GHz G5 are real, the only thing preventing a full sweep is Apple's ability to engineer all of this stuff. There's nothing in marketing that should get in the way.
post #400 of 1072
At which point everyone would know for sure it's a hack, or a joke. These specs are REALISTIC. They could actually be real, and I can see being able to go out and buy one for $1500-$3000 by Monday.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs