or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 11

post #401 of 1072
No kidding. That is optimism to the point of sheer fantasy at MacWhispers. 970-based iMacs in a few weeks, and 970-based 12" PowerBooks soon?? ALL Macs running 970s by the end of fall? No way! The general sense of optimism reported is probably true, and sounds encouraging, but I think it means a MUCH more gradual transition than that.

I think we'll see IBM G3+AltiVec "G4s" (if not Motorola ones) through 2004 and beyond, in consumer products. Which is fine, since MHz can increase. And I would not be surprised if NO 970 portables appear until next year.

Of course, this coming from me, who expected 970s to appear in the fall, topping out at 1.8 Ghz. Guess I was too conservative there
post #402 of 1072
"Only three PCI slots?! Damn. I am getting a DELL" --- PC Troll

Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #403 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
Don't overlook this comment at MacWhispers under that story:

"And, my understanding is that the .GIF image briefly on the Apple Store web page was an internal hack... not "Apple inadvertently..."

Posted by MacWhispers at June 20, 2003 02:16 AM "

That is even more far fetched than an external hack of apple.com/akami

There may be...what...5-10 people with access to this closely guarded info.

No.

This is a mistake.
post #404 of 1072
It would be very cool if they made the high end machine a six-slotter, like the old pro machines (IIfx, Power Macintosh 9600). I have a feeling that, ten years from now, we'll look back at the PowerMac G5 and think of it much like we think of the IIfx and 9600 today.
post #405 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Only 2GHz? It would take at least 2.3GHz to beat Intel's 3.2GHz P4 that will be introduced Monday. At 2GHz, we can expect SPEC scores to be on par with an old 3.06GHz P4 on a 533MHz FSB. I don't even think the 2GHz machine will match the current 3.0GHz canterwood for most things given OS X's overhead. These PowerMacs will certainly be more expensive than comparable PCs.

Thumbs down.

NO!!!
thumbs down to you .....sir!!!
the new macs will absolutely crush ANY wintel machine!!!
when these new powermacs are released apple will have the best lineup in the industry!
the laptops are handsdown the best in the industry.
apple makes the best operating system by far (10.2) and that will only get better with PANTHER!
itunes and the applemusic store absolutely rule!
the ipod is the envy of the industry with many imatators.
look at quicktime and final cut pro,look at isync which i think will be an extremely important piece of software in the future.
and the new powermacs will complete the picture!
apple smells blood and are going for the "kill shot" now!
face it,your petty rebellion is about to be crushed!
im really excited about the xserve and apples PC initiatives.
mark my words PC guttersnipe,you will comply or be assimilated!!!!

ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im so evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #406 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
unemployed? hell, this guy is lucking if he is stil breathing at this point

Indeed!
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #407 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail

8 GB of RAM is not very far fetched. I have 6 GB in my office workstation.

64-bitness will extend the addressable RAM space to almost 4 TB (4096GB) once DIMMs deliver it

that sounds far fetched now, but remember, we went to the moon with 8 KB
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #408 of 1072
My head is imploding!
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #409 of 1072
i called the applestore twice and got some british? sounding salesmen who told me that there is no such thing as a "g5" and refused to belive that this had ever happened at the online us apple store. he said "we dont belive that happened, the rumor sites are wrong"

one guy even gave me his "euro.apple.com" email address to send him a pic of the image. since he didn't belive me i didn't send it, i figure he'll find out soon enough...

(the british accent is so cool!)

does apple normally outsource their phone sales dept to britan?
post #410 of 1072
http://www.envestco2.com/cgi-bin/MT/...gi?entry_id=78

Quote:
Again, while not disputing the data that was posted, I am saying that the graphic itself did not match Apple's web design guidelines and, so, was a hack... not an unintentional developer error.

And, from what I've picked up this week, the speeds noted on that hacked graphic may actually still not be as fast as the real Power Macs we'll be shown on Monday.

Posted by MacWhispers at June 20, 2003 02:46 AM

For what it's worth...
post #411 of 1072
Oh dear, this is too good to be true.
Year of the laptop, haha.
Year of Apple! (if it is true, and I very much hope so)

cheers.
post #412 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by futuremac

At 1:00AM PST they sure as hell do. For some real fun, call at 5:00AM PST and you'll get the Mongolian sales people.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #413 of 1072
I`m still saying that if it was a hack they would have done something a bit less subtle than that.

You still have to find it kind of funny that when apple it self jumps in on hte rumors people still wont believe them.
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #414 of 1072
i keep seeing this when i click on the forums

--------------------------------

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User aifora@pantagruel.macnn.com has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /usr/local/www/aivbforums/docroot/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
post #415 of 1072
What if . . .

It was a joke/hack/mistake?

What happens then?

Honestly, I can't believe those specs. They're SO good.
I just don't see how Apple can make oney off of those . . .

This is a very scary situation.
post #416 of 1072
Thats very true. I can`t even begin to think what would happen if it was a hack. You know apples stock is going to be screaming tomorrow.
post #417 of 1072
Quote:

That would be strange since all european numbers go to Ireland.

You sure it wasn´t someone from India?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #418 of 1072
no they were british i belive not indian, he had a "euro.apple.com" email address and i called 1-800-myapple
post #419 of 1072
Think about this for a minute... if this was a hack, if these specs aren't real, or if new Powermacs aren't coming on Monday... then Apple's stock is going to take a nose dive. If this was a hack then Apple needs to send out a press release first thing tomorrow to cover their ass and save their stock price from tanking.
post #420 of 1072
Quote:
no they were british i belive not indian, he had a "euro.apple.com" email address and i called 1-800-myapple

PErhabs a brit in Ireland. No sales people are sitting in England for sure.
post #421 of 1072
Quote:
i keep seeing this when i click on the forums

--------------------------------

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User aifora@pantagruel.macnn.com has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /usr/local/www/aivbforums/docroot/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

i started getting that last night on AO, then when i refreshed TI,
eventually every page at AI (even the non-forum front Kasper posts to) seemed to deliver that haemorrhage

seemed fine a few hours later (this morning)

hope it isn't chronic
post #422 of 1072
no they were british i belive not indian

India was a british colony and still is home to many, many brits.

Not to mention, many of the english speaking people there would have learned english from british school teachers - therefore picking up the accent.
post #423 of 1072
I dont know if someone has suggested this before (thread is too long to read all posts!) but I have an idea on why the text may have been a different size.

If you look at the screenshot MacMinute took:

YOu can see the text. Now, if authentic the only bit of the new PowerMac page that has been accidentaly shown is the specs bit. We dont know what the title will read. Given text is normally formatted to some kind of scale I guess (if authentic) we will see a slightly larger title on the page too, which wold fit with the annoucement of a new model. Also, whatever the new title for that page is I would expect some white space between it and the specs. Its real.

My 0.2 euros
post #424 of 1072
Wanna see some interesting pics? go to macrumors, page 6 or 7 "PowerMac G5s info." thread I believe. More believable mock ups? I can't get in there now, can someone else try and start a new thread with the link?
post #425 of 1072
post #426 of 1072
Can someone please tell me how the hell I'm supposed to sleep tonight?!!!! Must...buy...new...PowerMac...
post #427 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
Wanna see some interesting pics? go to macrumors, page 6 or 7 "PowerMac G5s info." thread I believe. More believable mock ups? I can't get in there now, can someone else try and start a new thread with the link?

Wow, those shots look totally believeable!
Very nice!
post #428 of 1072
I can't get into macrumors right now. Can anyone try and start a new thread with the "new" pics?
post #429 of 1072
post #430 of 1072
Hi,
great news!
I'm sure this was posted by accident while preparing the Apple Store for Monday. The specs are real.
I believe we will see updates to the iMac and PowerBook pretty soon. As I stated earlier in another thread an 1 GHz iMac locks insanely dumb next to a 1.6 GHz G5 given a price difference of a couple of hundred USD. If the iMac gets the G5 soon then Apple will be able to grow marketshare. And that's what it is all about.
In second half of 2004 I see the PMs and PBs spotting a PPC 980 dual core, the iMac/eMac and iBook a PPC 970.
Because of the wide performance ratio I see enough room for the Son of the Cube. Limited expandability, single core processor, low price.
By mid 2004 Apple's line-up will be awesome. *Every* product will be at least on par with Intel offerings. The cutting edge will be out of reach for Intel. The price-performance ratio will be out of reach for any competition.
Great time to buy Apple Stock.
Cheers

cocoa tree
post #431 of 1072
Are those pics real, where is the mesh/honeycomb/cheesegrater?

edit: Just noticed in the macrumors thread that williwilli, who posted the link, titled hsi post as mockups. Sorry.
post #432 of 1072
Who cares! I think that design looks great.
Very Ive-like. Tho', that's the easiest way to make it appear legit by a simple evolution of the current design.
post #433 of 1072
Quote:

OMG I hope not...

Those mock-ups have already been dismissed as false.

Please don't let these specs be spoilt with a shit case rehash like this.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think that sardines will be thrown overboard.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think that sardines will be thrown overboard.
post #434 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
That would be strange since all european numbers go to Ireland.

You sure it wasn´t someone from India?

I called twice, the first time the person sounded like they had a thick Indian accent, the second time it was a young british sounding girl that had no idea. She put me on hold to go track down a G5 for me.
post #435 of 1072
Yeah, I don't like them either. It looks very dull. By the way, who dismissed them as false?
post #436 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
ARe those pics real, where is the mesh/honeycomb/cheesegrater?

in my opinion they aren't for real - the older descriptions (and now the fixed one) all use another font-style. the headline of the specs is bold-black and the specs itself are grey and much smaller than those on the picture that "leaked" - if this would be from apple it would look like any other spec-description on the store ...

question: do you think that apple lets the people set those graphics themselves? i would assume that they have a script for this task, which creates these gif-images (so that they just have to type in the spec-text and will get the resulting image) - so why should they look so different than the rest of the product-spec-images?

anyway - we'll see on monday
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #437 of 1072
Dont know if the pics are real or not but supports my suggestin that the leaked specs. gif will look right when its placed in the context of the new content and that it looks big now because it wasnt intended to sit on the G4 page!

Antonio

p.s. nice images by the way
post #438 of 1072
Quote:
Yeah, I don't like them either. It looks very dull. By the way, who dismissed them as false?

I don't recall where it was as I've been watching about 20 sites for the last week.

These pics were definitely released a few days ago as a mock-up and not as leaked photos.

The guy big-willy or whatever that's hosting them is trying to drive traffic to his website. I think he did the same sort of thing in January.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope not.
post #439 of 1072
this might have been said but did anyonenotice that the format of text with hyphenpoints matches the new quark page and its hyphen points

8Gb memory now that will have some price ticket.
I think the dual 2 gig will be verrrrrrry expensive
___
John
___
John
post #440 of 1072
Actually, thinking about that spec .gif image futher perhaps it is fake after all. I mean the title: worlds fastest computer should be in bold and the specs in a light shade of grey (without hyphens) if it is to use the existing style guide. Although hyphens are used for specs on the front page and the store front page (and not for product pages), the non-use of bold suggests not real. But this doesnt necessarily mean the specs are wrong. Perhaps someone accidentally picked up an old .gif image, one that was destined for the trash can as it wasnt formatted correctly as per my observations and it got accidentally uploaded .... i.e. one error (not properly deleting a faulty .gif file for the new announcement) leads to another, it then being uploaded by mistake to the site ... that or something like it is more plausible as normal security procedures would have impeded the accidental upload of a final approved .gif image.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs