or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 13

post #481 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by futuremac

(the british accent is so cool!)

does apple normally outsource their phone sales dept to britan?

Hey thanks for the nice compliment...

No, Apple has there own store system the UK (actually it's based in Ireland), just a lucky brit dude who works for Apple.

Back on topic...I need a tissue!
These specs would indicate that these will be smokin' hotties...
I wonder if the 8gb ram limit is about as real as the 640mb one for iBooks and 12" PB's? I mean that that limit only applies because thats all you could buy at the time of release, as larger chips become available you will be able to up up up and awaaaaay!

Obviously I want one.
I was told by my local AppleCentre yesterday that the G4's had been discontinued. Duh....

Also obviously the remaining q's are what OS? whats the range of models, whats the case look like?
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
Batman!
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
na-na na-na na-na na-na
Batman!
post #482 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by marcsiry
I'm sure they use a content management system- which actually increases the chances of a mistake being made.

When you build a page "by hand," you can preview it in a browser and see what it all looks like together. Easier to catch problems that way.

When you use a content management system, you upload all the files "loose" to the staging server and then preview it online. It's a lot easier to miss mistakes unless you have a rigorous proofing system in place- a system that I presume has broken down under pressure these last couple of days.

ok i could be wrong with the fact that the images are built with the wrong font-style.

but:
modern content-management-systems provide the ability to have a preview by standard. (what can you do with web-objects?) also a company like apple for sure has an internal testserver (or two) with the same configuration as the online-servers. there they can preview and test as much as they need to. the process of bringing contents online should be made with a system that reflects the data from the last internal server to the ones in the web. these way you shouldn't be able to (accidently) put just one picture to the main server...

iSegway could be right -> planned!
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
post #483 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by kroehl
It's also being reported at The Register and at Macworld (UK).

I think Apple has lost this one to the momentum of the internet. Somehow I feel a little sorry for Steve/Apple because I want them to get all the media-blitz they can in order to put a dent in the Wintel self-assured confidence.

Anyhoo, these boxes will float my boat for sure.

From The Register article:-

Something seems to be happening on the PowerBook front, at any rate. One reseller was told this week that his order for a number of 15in PowerBooks was cancelled by Apple, notification of which was appended with a comment that he should wait until Monday... ®

I'll have one of the new ones please
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think that sardines will be thrown overboard.
When the seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think that sardines will be thrown overboard.
post #484 of 1072
never mind
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #485 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by RedEric
From The Register article:-

Something seems to be happening on the PowerBook front, at any rate. One reseller was told this week that his order for a number of 15in PowerBooks was cancelled by Apple, notification of which was appended with a comment that he should wait until Monday... ®

I'll have one of the new ones please

I called the Apple HE store last week and enquired about a 15"... they also told me to *cough*call back on the 23rd*cough*...
post #486 of 1072
Something just occured to me;

I'd still buy this new dual box if it were G4's. Seriously, I know everyone's hyped about the 970's but is would be interesting to know if an G4-class version of this box would "beat" an P4...just thinking.
post #487 of 1072

"OoooooooOOOOOOoooooooh! We are one."
post #488 of 1072
Think Monty
Think Python
Think?
Think Monty
Think Python
Think?
post #489 of 1072
The ONLY Mac web site it seems that doesn't link to this is Mac OS Rumors. Ryan Meader will evidently be on the street for another few days selling his body to support his crack habit.

A G4 box with all those features would not be faster. The G4 processor is data starved by an extremely crappy (for desktop use) 167MHz bus. Compare this to the ONE-FREAKIN'-GHZ bus in the new Macs and... you get the picture

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #490 of 1072
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...t1powermac.gif
post #491 of 1072
Quote:

post #492 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by zon7
lol mockup
Jobs praying
T-shirts

Now that is some funny $h1t.
post #493 of 1072
You know, I had to skip to the last page here FINALLY because you idjits keep posting faster than I can read! By the time I got to page 3 there were TWO NEW PAGES! Never seen a thread to that before in all my years at AI.

Amazing.

Amazing specs.

woof
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #494 of 1072
I say it was a controlled leak, to get more buzz going. Notice that no photo was realeased. Why the only specs... because to Apple, it's the looks more than the tech specs. that will set this thing apart. The tech specs are all mostly catch-up to the PC world.
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #495 of 1072
I gotta p***...don't write anything while I'm gone.
post #496 of 1072
Lemon Bon Bon - WAAAAKE UUUUUP!

Can't wait to hear your take on this

Oh Yeah! and where's JYD?
post #497 of 1072
Someone at Apple has a sense of humor. Looks like they're just having some fun...... betcha we'll see a pic by Sunday night.

Damn, where's my Krispy Kreme?
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #498 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by pioneer01
Lemon Bon Bon - WAAAAKE UUUUUP!

Can't wait to hear your take on this

Oh Yeah! and where's JYD?

Where in Wales you from pioneer01???
post #499 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by clonenode
I say it was a controlled leak, to get more buzz going. Notice that no photo was realeased. Why the only specs... because to Apple, it's the looks more than the tech specs. that will set this thing apart. The tech specs are all mostly catch-up to the PC world.

How can a 1ghz bus speed be "catch up?"
post #500 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
ROTFL!

<OT>Is it riffling, rifling, or riffiling?</OT>

Riffling is a way that you shuffle cards, or quickly flip through a book. Rifling is to rummage through things (in a drawer), often leaving them messy. That other word is a strange construct of your mind.

Matthew
post #501 of 1072
A giveaway that the G5 CPU pics posted here is phoney is that the displays are the same as they are now. There are reports of brand-new designs for the displays. Nice try.
post #502 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
A giveaway that the G5 CPU pics posted here is phoney is that the displays are the same as they are now. There are reports of brand-new designs for the displays. Nice try.

Don't even give Big Willy or whatever his name is the time by even thinking about their authenticity.

He didn't even do them himself, just ripped them from another site.
post #503 of 1072
A pic of a mutilated webmaster's corpse...

post #504 of 1072
this is without a doubt the most exciting thing i've ever read. My favorite part is that if these babies are priced right, people will be paving their driveways with MDD G4s.

hahahahahaha. I knew it was time for an upgrade! my QS 867 has been feeling slow these last few weeks!!!
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vamanos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock....
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vamanos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock....
post #505 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by gsfmark
this is without a doubt the most exciting thing i've ever read. My favorite part is that if these babies are priced right, people will be paving their driveways with MDD G4s.

hahahahahaha. I knew it was time for an upgrade! my QS 867 has been feeling slow these last few weeks!!!

I sold my MDD 867 DP and 17" Apple Display, old iPod 20gb for £1800/$2500 that was gonna go towards buying me a new 17" laptop but I think it might get blown on one of these new babies.
post #506 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by slice
They litigated against the original WorkerBee....
Although was he an actual employee? I'm thinking
he may just have been a sub-contractor.

Nonetheless, employees have contracts too.. and this would certainly be breach of contract.

Actually they only litigated against workerbee to find out who he was(origianlly it was against jon does 1-9 or something. once they found out who he was, he was basically warned(he had been a temp that worked for apple). not to do it again(and can never work for apple again). I dont think they would go after someone for $ damages, because, quit frankly, the guy wouldnt have it to give em. (where-as some companies still would do it anyways).
post #507 of 1072
If this leak is true, my powerbook 667 DVI is going to feel really dated after only a year.

But I really want to send a letter to this idiot on Monday to ask him how he feels about his new PC.

http://homepage.mac.com/dtournemille...ac_switch.html
post #508 of 1072
Best leak....ever.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #509 of 1072
Already sent him an email
post #510 of 1072
quote:
----------------------------------
Originally posted by RedEric
Where in Wales you from pioneer01???
----------------------------------

Sunny Cardiff mate

Sorry Guys Back on topic
post #511 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by viking
If this leak is true, my powerbook 667 DVI is going to feel really dated after only a year.

But I really want to send a letter to this idiot on Monday to ask him how he feels about his new PC.

http://homepage.mac.com/dtournemille...ac_switch.html

DON'T EMAIL HIM...LET THE LOSER THAT LOST FAITH PISS OFF TO DELL AND REGRET IT.
post #512 of 1072
I think it is a fake. I would bet that Steve deliberately gave some people false information in an attempt to ferret out leaks. It has been done before, so I could easily see it being done again. Another thing that I question is the 2 Ghz speed. From what I recall, none of the rumors or any of the info released by IBM has indicated that large quantities of 2 Ghz 970s are available. I also question the fonts used as they were different than those used in the other image.

It would be great if it were true and I hope to be proven wrong next week, but I think it is a fake.

--Mark
'But God really exists' said the old man, and my faith was restored for I knew that Santa Claus would never lie.
'But God really exists' said the old man, and my faith was restored for I knew that Santa Claus would never lie.
post #513 of 1072
Well, I'm glad I cleared my desk this week. Just sold my computer, and I'm all primed and ready to lay down some cash.

It's going to be a looooong weekend.

post #514 of 1072
Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Happy days are here again...

Here's to all of us loyal Mac users around the world! Cheers!
post #515 of 1072
Wow, I just woke up to this!!! And to think I had no reason to wake up in the first place.

Top Technology story on My Yahoo, News.com and MacCentral.

It's gotta be all true!!! Can't wait to see the new enclosures.
post #516 of 1072
Quote:

[/B]

YES it will be!!!!

my current thought is ::: how will apple respond to this today?
post #517 of 1072
Apple has just closed all threads in their Power Mac forum discussing the G5 leak! Trying to reload a discussion page gave the standard message:

You do not have access to "Posts Removed by Moderators"
Sometimes users posts are removed by the discussion moderators for various reasons. These reasons may include the following:

The Apple Support Discussions area is intended to address technical issues. Discussions of Apple policies and procedures, speculations about future Apple decisions, questions about unreleased products, and issues with repair procedures are not appropriate. Posts that are not directly related to a technical support issue, are only complaints, or contain abusive language are not appropriate. Posts which are not appropriate will be removed from the discussion board.

Posts containing take-apart questions not covered in the product's User's Manual will not be addressed by Apple due to safety and legal concerns.
post #518 of 1072
Let me say at the outset that I find the typographical analyses of the styling of the leaked specs quite convincing. Let's say that it's 95% likely that these details are accurate.

Now let's explore the remaining 5% probability: as we Mac users know, that 5% of a domain (<bleedin' obvious> e.g. marketshare</>) may be really important....

1. If it's a hostile hack by someone intending to damage Apple, then it is either a really really good hacker or a seriously disgruntled employee with a deathwish. But contrary to other opinions in this thread, there is every reason in this scenario for the specs to be just a little optimistic. Imagine the headlines:

Jobs WWDC Address Disappoints

But this is surely the least likely scenario: let's give it about 0.5% probability.

2. That leaves the remaining 4.5% for a deliberate leak. We can break this prospect down into two other possibilities:

a. The specs are accurate, and were leaked to whip up interest in the WWDC address.

b. The specs are conservative, and were leaked to whip up interest in the WWDC address, yet still provide for a few pleasant shocks.

We can rule out a deliberate leak of exaggerated specs: this would do Apple no good, and would almost certainly invite a lawsuit.

Option b is the intriguing one, is it not? What if the top of the line box is somewhat faster still, perhaps 2.5GHz as some rumours have suggested? You can easily imagine Steve smirking as he remarks: "Well, as many of you would know, there was a small mistake in our Apple Store the other night...."

(Don't get too excited by this speculation, please! Refer to the above probabilities!!)

Oh, and just one more thing, to coin a phrase. Nothing in this leak makes me think that I need to "hit the weights room" as Moki put it. So even if Option b is still just a fantasy, we have reason to think that there's still a few surprises in store (no pun intended).
post #519 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by murbot
Well, I'm glad I cleared my desk this week. Just sold my computer, and I'm all primed and ready to lay down some cash.

It's going to be longer than that if you want one of the high-end machines. You'll have to dust that empty spot on your desk a few times.
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
"Spec" is short for "specification" not "speculation".
post #520 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by rogue master
I think it is a fake. I would bet that Steve deliberately gave some people false information in an attempt to ferret out leaks. It has been done before, so I could easily see it being done again. Another thing that I question is the 2 Ghz speed. From what I recall, none of the rumors or any of the info released by IBM has indicated that large quantities of 2 Ghz 970s are available. I also question the fonts used as they were different than those used in the other image.

It would be great if it were true and I hope to be proven wrong next week, but I think it is a fake.

--Mark

If it was an attempt to ferret out leaks I don't believe the posted specs would have exceeded the reality. Caught a leaker and let down the entire Mac community at the keynote. No. The specs would have been less than the actual. So, I don't think this is a plausible explanation. The 2GHz speed could easily be explained by an intro with a 6-8 week release delay. Standard business practice for Apple. The fonts look awfully close to me but I'm not a designer...

It may actually be a fake, I'm not swayed either way.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs