or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 17

post #641 of 1072

Suddenly I'm not likin' my TiBook.
I wonder if this means new displays? The thread from the other day about the iMac-like new displays would be cool.
Regardless, those specs are flat-out awesome.
post #642 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by kormac77
WOW.

For the record. \

I was here too

Come to see my story.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...039#post385039

THanks K76/77 for the SHOUT OUT during this ROLL CALL thread!!!!!!

Let's make this a damned LOOOOOOONG thread for ONE DAY!

More SHOUT OUTS needed.

Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
post #643 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC

More SHOUT OUTS needed.

I'm making plastics right now!
I'm making plastics right now!
post #644 of 1072
At first it did not hit me but now...

HOLY SHIT!

I guess my LC 520 is due for a replacement.
post #645 of 1072
Enough with the spamming "roll call", guys.

I know you're all excited, but there's no good reason to just inflate the thread like that. It just makes it harder for people that are actually trying to read it. The same rules that apply to other forums apply here as well even though we're being a little slack and letting you get some of your anxiety out about the news.

Thanks,
Brad
post #646 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Matvei
Remember that in 4 years, it'll seem as slow as a 350mhz G3 Blue and white tower...

still... WOW!

Hehe
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #647 of 1072
Missed seeing it live on Apple's site last night, but watched all the hubbub and this thread grow from 5 to 7 pages almost instantaneously.

Anyhow... HOLY CRAP! After so much time of keeping my expectations low (I couldn't let myself be dissapointed again) then I see this and get all hyped up again. I could barely sleep last night!

As people have mentioned, there's still tons of details keeping me glued to my seat for the keynote. Cases? Displays? Laptops? Pricing? Panther, needless to say!

Looking forward to Monday, now more than ever.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #648 of 1072
This is cool but it kinda feels like the time I found the GI Joe Space Station hidden in my parents room. Totally ruined christmas for me.

Nah, it was still a good christmas, I got to open it and play with it after all, I just had to pretend like I was surprised xmas day.

Shhhhh everyone pretend like you don't know about this and maybe Jobs will still think we're all surprised.
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #649 of 1072
I've just got back home from work, I've got a stupid grin on my face and this time it's not because of the beer or the doob in front of me. Have i just got time to say WOW ?

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #650 of 1072
I know it's been asked before but is there any expert opinion as to how fast these machines will be comparatively to any existing system?

I understand that on a typical upgrade cycle a new set of machines will be roughly, 30% faster than their immediate predecessors at best. So what speed increase are we talking about here 50% ? 100% ? 200% ?

any ideas?
post #651 of 1072
I too am very impressed. Recently I've been unimpressed by apples hardware offerings (except the new ipod). But now I'm officially awed. Thanks Steve. Can't wait till monday.
post #652 of 1072
Oh yeah, and I'm tired of running at 500 MHz. (Been at this speed for years now!)
post #653 of 1072
I hope y'all didnt click on "email notifications to new post" for this thread otherwise yer fvcked.

second, while its a GREAT spec, NO ONE HAS ANY BENCHMARKS FOR THE 970 and yet everyone is exstatic...

Anyway, seeing the in the title of the gif image it says "worlds fastest personal computer" I guess we're gonna have ourselves good old Schiller giving side to side PC toasting benchmarks again...

joy..
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #654 of 1072
interesting that /. took the opinion that apple ment to do it. Its true that this gives them press before wwdc when they would have had none, plus it increases press and interest during and after wwdc

edit: a sample of one moron on /. trying to prove that its fake

"It's not a G5, it's a PPC970, completely different beasts. "

"1GHz bus? gimme a break. Intel hasn't yet reached this. Two points impossible"
post #655 of 1072
I was wondering how many of you are like me, and still skeptical? I'll define skeptical: Have not posted your computer to ebay, because you wont do that until you know for a fact PowerMacs will be announced. That's my definition of skepticism.

I'll be putting an 867 SP Quicksilver w/Geforce 3 TI and 768MB ram on monday if they are announced.

So who has their computer on ebay?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #656 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC

More SHOUT OUTS needed.

Wow!
post #657 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I was wondering how many of you are like me, and still skeptical? I'll define skeptical: Have not posted your computer to ebay, because you wont do that until you know for a fact PowerMacs will be announced. That's my definition of skepticism.

I'll be putting an 867 SP Quicksilver w/Geforce 3 TI and 768MB ram on monday if they are announced.

So who has their computer on ebay?

Post it now and redraw it monday morning if nothing happens.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #658 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Post it now and redraw it monday morning if nothing happens.

What if somebody put's in a bid on it? Then I'm screwed. You cant stop an auction once it's been bid on unless you sell it to the high bidder.
onlooker

onlooker

post #659 of 1072
Shake 3 is now available. Perfect timing.
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
post #660 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
What if somebody put's in a bid on it? Then I'm screwed. You cant stop an auction once it's been bid on unless you sell it to the high bidder.

A computer can fall from the desk and be impossible to sell with a clear conscience.
post #661 of 1072
Quote:
A computer can fall from the desk and be impossible to sell with a clear conscience.

That's pretty dishonest. I'm not sure I could do that.
onlooker

onlooker

post #662 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Enough with the spamming "roll call", guys.

I know you're all excited, but there's no good reason to just inflate the thread like that. It just makes it harder for people that are actually trying to read it. The same rules that apply to other forums apply here as well even though we're being a little slack and letting you get some of your anxiety out about the news.

Thanks,
Brad

Then why not indulge this OLDEST REGISTRATION POSTER and make a "WOW - ROLL CALL" thread?

You know, websites are created to SEEK and ATTRACT visitors and contributors and if if would take you ALL OF FIVE MINUTES to create a WOW thread then I can't see a downside to this. Perhaps that student loan consolidation advertiser would find valuable for more people to read the ad? (It's worthless, though, because there's no stopping the Sallie Mae juggernaut)

Proposed thread titles include the simple "WOW - ROLL CALL"

HOLY SHIT - ROLL CALL

I FELT LIKE I JUST TOOK THE RED PILL - ROLL CALL

TRY TO NOT DIE IN A CAR ACCIDENT BEFORE MONDAY - ROLL CALL

BEG, BORROW, CHEAT AND STEAL TO GET A G5 - ROLL CALL

WOW...THUD...(SMELLING SALTS APPLIED) WOW AGAIN! - ROLL CALL

MOMMY I MADE KA-KA IN MY PANTS - ROLL CALL

SEX OR G5 LEAK: BIGGEST NEWS SINCE BIRTH? - ROLL CALL

REDUNDANT LUNGS GOOD FOR STEVE JOBS' HYPERVENTILATION FIT - ROLL CALL

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU READ THE G5 LEAK? - ROLL CALL

EVEN JERRY GARCIA CAN'T BELIEVE IT! - ROLL CALL

FINALLY! APPLE'S TESTES DROP TO MATURITY - ROLL CALL

YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME, WINTEL? - ROLL CALL

I FEEL LIKE THE MONKEY STANDING IN FRONT OF THE MONOLITH FROM 2001 - ROLL CALL

FAZED SO MUCH, THEY JACKED MY CAR WHILE I WAS IN SHOCK - ROLL CALL

WEAPONS OF MASS COMPUTATION - ROLL CALL

post #663 of 1072
I'm still skeptical. Still trying to decide how to interpret "upto 1 gig processor bus". Is it 500 + 500 for the dual proc machine ? if so what is the bus on the "good" machine? is it the system bus or true proc to mem bus? What about Cache sizes?

8 gig RAM, i.e. 4 gig per proc on the best machine..

Either way, It is a OMFG, hair ripping, gut wrenching, pant soiling, floor crashing, running around screaming incoherently WOW
iMac G4 800
iMac G4 800
post #664 of 1072
1) re-read G5 specs
2) unzip pants
4) zip pants back up
5) smoke cigarette
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #665 of 1072
I cant' wait...this is so sweet.
post #666 of 1072
Anyone want to buy my G3-300?
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #667 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
Anyone want to buy my G3-300?

$5
post #668 of 1072
Quote:
$5

That's what I thought
post #669 of 1072
My SlowSilver

Dual GHz
1.5GB RAM
Four 80GB Seagate IDE Drives
Sonnet ATA-133 controller
GeForce 4 Ti
Super Drive
AppleCare til 2005
3 extra cooling fans <----my room is very hot in summer time and this tower needs a lot of cooling

If I am gonna sell it I think it's better to put the tower back to stock config....so the price will be lower for easier selling....then sell the extra parts separately...

I don't think I will get much....after G5 is announced
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #670 of 1072
"Wow!"

(Anyone else think the word wow looks really silly?)
post #671 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC

TRY TO NOT DIE IN A CAR ACCIDENT BEFORE MONDAY - ROLL CALL

I FEEL LIKE THE MONKEY STANDING IN FRONT OF THE MONOLITH FROM 2001 - ROLL CALL

thank you!
post #672 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
That's CNet, not CNN.

If even CNN picks this up...

Actually I got there from the CNN.com front page -- I didn't notice that they had linked to CNet.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #673 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
1) re-read G5 specs
2) unzip pants

(tasteful fade-out, then fade-in to scene of waves crashing on beach. soft music plays...)

4) zip pants back up
5) smoke cigarette

There, fixed that for you.

CV

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #674 of 1072

thanks.

- rage

post #675 of 1072
how many of you guys are scrambling like me to get as much cash as possible for a 970? i'm sure i'm not in the minority here! i guess debt for something this amazing is really worth it!
post #676 of 1072
You know you have a problem when you stay up late reading Appleinsider and the phone rings at 11:30 in the mornig and it wakes you up. Oh Sh*t. So much for an early start at work today. Lets see whats new on Appleinsider...
post #677 of 1072
well, I WAS going to go visit my sister in Africa this Christmas... (1500 plane ticket) but now it looks like i may be using a beauty of a G5. We'll see... If the new monitors aren't "rape-me-in-the-bootyhole" expensive, then i'll most likely be purchasing...

OH THE EXCITEMENT
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vamanos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock....
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vamanos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock....
post #678 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
[B]I'm still skeptical. Still trying to decide how to interpret "upto 1 gig processor bus". Is it 500 + 500 for the dual proc machine ? if so what is the bus on the "good" machine? is it the system bus or true proc to mem bus? What about Cache sizes?
/B]

The 970's bus speed is clocked at half the processor speed.

So 'up to 1Ghz' means it is 1Ghz Bus for the 2Ghz part, 900 for the 1.8 and 800 for the 1.6
post #679 of 1072
Now the real question.... should I spend my money on Apple stock or a new computer? Hmmm.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
- Frank Zappa
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
- Frank Zappa
post #680 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Astronaut Jones
http://www.envestco2.com/cgi-bin/MT/...gi?entry_id=78

For what it's worth...

A hack? Yea someone was sitting there saying, "ya know what? I hate my job, I'm gonna take a few minutes in photoshop and upload just one part of a sliced graphic and just put the specs on the page. Screw Steve!"

Ah no. Sorry, don't see it.

Also, this would be very damaging for Apple if indeed false. Their stock would collapse, they would issue a press release immediately.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs