or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 18

post #681 of 1072
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I can't seem to find the thread that Dorsal M posted yesterday that had pretty much the EXACT same specs that were posted at Apple last night. Am I just missing it? Did anyone else read this?

I saw some other people post in that thread.

as
post #682 of 1072
Hey,
Looks like a lot of u guys will be selling older macs to make way for the newest and greatest.

Well, i'm thinking about an iMac (G3!) for my kitchen, It has to have DVD drive, and be able tu run OS X.

If anyone is interested in getting rid of an old iMac lemme know.

Thanks
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
post #683 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
Heh, and now I have a justification for buying 5.1 speakers for my office.

Then they'll put 5.1/7.1 support into QuickTime, and then you can have Keynote presentations which vibrate the soft internal tissues of the audience, using music you've acquired from the stock music library function that they ultimately incorporate into iTMS.

That'll be nice.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

"What's your point?" ~ Mark Solomon...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

post #684 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
Can you imagine if SJ walks out on stage, smiles, waits, puts his hand up to quiet the crowd, and then introduces Jimmy Smith. No one knows who he is, until Steve explains that he was the one responsible for tonight's screw up.

He'd probably get a longer stand-o than Steve!

Unfortunately, we then notice that "Jimmy" has around a dozen pieces of prime ribeye hanging around various parts of his bedraggled form.

Steve gives him a 10 second headstart before releasing several drooling rottweilers who haven't been fed since Thursday am.

Sounds like entertainment to me, but I became an adult under the rule of Margaret Thatcher so what do I know.

post #685 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC
Then why not indulge this OLDEST REGISTRATION POSTER and make a "WOW - ROLL CALL" thread?

i agree. brad, read through the posts. the quality of the comments in here dwarf other massive threads of the recent past, and the percentage of just "wow" posts is pretty minimal (though i didn't do the math). all in all, i'd rather scroll and skim through a dozen "wow" statements than a thread littered with dozens of trolling, personal insult-laden garbage like some other threads have generated (does "Safari - Tabs - done!" ring a bell?) heck, what if that's all some posters have to say? plus, it's what AI exists for on so many levels, and it's rare that the whole bloody dysfunctional family that is the AI community all stand up at once and cheer.

oh, and before i forget (and yes, brad, this is all i have to say right now on the matter).... ahem... "WOW!"

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #686 of 1072
Here's a question for you all:

How the heck is Apple going to ship a computer that can use up to 8GB of memory with a 32-bit OS like Jaguar? I can think of just four possibilities:

1. It won't ship until Panther is released, sometime in late September.
2. The Dual 2GHz version is Q6, and Blackrider is a Jaguar kernel with a 64-bit VM, which can allocate chunks of memory in the 64-bit address space to 32-bit programs. This seems to me to be a royal waste of effort.
3. Same as above, but the dual 2GHz version is NUMA, and Blackrider has a correspondingly NUMA-ish VM. This doesn't feel right to me either.
4. "Don't use more than 4GB of ram until Panther is released." (like the warnings on older Apple pamphlets about how OS 9 apps can't see more than 1GB of memory or whatever that limit was.)

Other thoughts?
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
post #687 of 1072
Not sure this has been posted yet:
Apple poised to release speedy G5
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #688 of 1072
anyone else underwhelmed?
Greatly Insane
Greatly Insane
post #689 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Cory Bauer
Oh, Go to hell.

And as for the rest of us, Tonight we gonna party like it's 1999!!!
(that was the last time Apple had the fastest computer)

Surely if he's using Windows with any degree of regularity, he's already there.

I may have a TiBook purchased in March 2001, but at least I can see PNG graphics in a web page with their alpha channels properly displayed. SPEC marks are not that useful if you have to waste them working round the gaping chasms in the quality of your software: Safari is still in beta and works perfectly, IE6 is allegedly production software and doesn't, the troll can take his 3.2 GHz Intel and ***** it.

post #690 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by spooky

hahahahahaha

spooky you slay me....pc people are so cute

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #691 of 1072
Quote:

You have got to be kidding.
post #692 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
Not sure this has been posted yet:
Apple poised to release speedy G5

"The challenge that Apple has had is that they've occasionally pulled past Intel (Nasdaq: INTC - news) on pure speed -- I think those days are behind us now," he told NewsFactor. "I don't think we'll see them crowing about raw performance; instead, they're more likely to stick with Apple's core values where they have a real advantage in terms of usability."

I think those days are ahead of us. Where the hell do they dig up these "analysts"?

Can't wait for the snail/tank/burning bunny commercials to be dusted off and updated.

What a fscking maroon.

post #693 of 1072
Quote:

post #694 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Karma
Here's a question for you all:

How the heck is Apple going to ship a computer that can use up to 8GB of memory with a 32-bit OS like Jaguar? I can think of just four possibilities:

1. It won't ship until Panther is released, sometime in late September.
2. The Dual 2GHz version is Q6, and Blackrider is a Jaguar kernel with a 64-bit VM, which can allocate chunks of memory in the 64-bit address space to 32-bit programs. This seems to me to be a royal waste of effort.
3. Same as above, but the dual 2GHz version is NUMA, and Blackrider has a correspondingly NUMA-ish VM. This doesn't feel right to me either.
4. "Don't use more than 4GB of ram until Panther is released." (like the warnings on older Apple pamphlets about how OS 9 apps can't see more than 1GB of memory or whatever that limit was.)

Other thoughts?

I remember a report on MacDoobie from several weeks ago where they claimed to be describing one of the new motherboards-- they noted that there were "DO NOT USE" stickers on 4 of the 8 SDRAM slots located on the board. They surmised that those four slots were for use with a second processor, but perhaps the stickers were placed there to prevent more than 4GB of RAM being used until 64-bit Panther arrives-- I've certainly never seen SDRAM available in larger quantities than 1GB/stick...
post #695 of 1072
Bring back the snail!
post #696 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by kroehl
"The challenge that Apple has had is that they've occasionally pulled past Intel (Nasdaq: INTC - news) on pure speed -- I think those days are behind us now," he told NewsFactor. "I don't think we'll see them crowing about raw performance; instead, they're more likely to stick with Apple's core values where they have a real advantage in terms of usability."

I think those days are ahead of us. Where the hell do they dig up these "analysts"?

Can't wait for the snail/tank/burning bunny commercials to be dusted off and updated.

What a fscking maroon.

Not only that but with the chip leveling us with intel, he says that it doesn't matter, Apple is just a niche player. Ah, NO you fricking moron, Apple has survived by being a niche player. Level the fields and I'll be damn if Apple stays or wants to remain a niche player. Maybe a niche player with 25% of the market. What an naive idiot blinded by Windows shades.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #697 of 1072
Quote:
According to hardware specs posted briefly in Apple's online store late Thursday night, the lineup will be based on the new high-performance PowerPC 970 chip from IBM.

Wired has their own article with this piece of text in it. Where in the specs did it say anything about being a 970?
post #698 of 1072
good catch, Taco Underpants
post #699 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by MrSparkle
Wired has their own article with this piece of text in it. Where in the specs did it say anything about being a 970?

D'oh! How could I forget the possibility that some other secret team has been developing a PowerPC processor clocked in the high 1.x GHz range with a DDR-clocked 1/2 processor speed bus?

I'll go rethink my entire outlook on this right now.
post #700 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardf12

post #701 of 1072
Quote:
Bring back the snail!

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/...vies/snail.mov
I'm all busted up, Broken bones and
nasty cuts, Accidents will happen but
this time I cant get up.
this time I cant get up.
post #702 of 1072
Quote:
D'oh! How could I forget the possibility that some other secret team has been developing a PowerPC processor clocked in the high 1.x GHz range with a DDR-clocked 1/2 processor speed bus?

I'll go rethink my entire outlook on this right now.

I'm only pinting out the sloppy reporting that seems to be everywhere.
post #703 of 1072
Quote:

I just cant read this with a strait face
post #704 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by O and A
So that they are ready.

Its really a major error. I feel really bad for the webmaster and guys underhim. Its a damn shame people have to lose there job over this. How unfortunate. Hope he doesn't get blackballed.

Anyway we don't know the prices. We don't know what htye look like. but frankly if they keep the current price point whihc i think they are cause top of line imac is gonna cost 1349 on monday this thing is gonna fly off the shelves.

i can't belive they went with SERIAL ATA god damn these things are going ot be FAST!

Simple. Production Webserver and Test webserver. Accidentally upload to PRODUCTION when you meant to upload to test.

Its happened to me once...(I uploaded my new specs of our next greatest thing by accident to the production server instead of the test one...grrrr)
post #705 of 1072
thanks apple exec!

ti and kroel you guys are SICK!
post #706 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by RedEric
DON'T EMAIL HIM...LET THE LOSER THAT LOST FAITH PISS OFF TO DELL AND REGRET IT.

Yes, he has become an unbeliever and must pay a heavy price for his heresy!

I think he should be bound hand and foot ot the base of the CN tower and then be executed by being stoned with the contents of all the unsold copies of the Windows 2000 Resource Kit.

I have to ask "why do people call us zealots ?"

post #707 of 1072
Quote:
thanks apple exec!

ti and kroel you guys are SICK!

Anytime man, this one happens to be very rare and I love what Steve says here...its just mythical. Enjoy.

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/...ovies/sj84.mov
this time I cant get up.
this time I cant get up.
post #708 of 1072
awesome.

my all time favorite SJ quote was from "revenge of the nerds" at the end where (while at next) he says

paraphrase:

the problem that i have with microsoft is not their monopoly or the way they do business, its the fact that they make 3rd rate programs.

anyone have this quote?
post #709 of 1072
"The only problem with Microsoft is that they have no taste. I don't mean that in a small way. I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don't think of original ideas and they don't bring much culture into their products. I have no problem with their success -- they've earned their success for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third-rate products." Ê Steve Jobs, founder of Apple and Next, CEO of Pixar (1995)

is this what you're looking for?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #710 of 1072
thank you. man i REALLY paraphrased that didn't I?

Quote:
success, for the most part.

I remember him pausing at this point. classic.
post #711 of 1072
Hmmm, according to someone who read a translation the site http://www.macfreak.org/cgi/forums/t...=16&topic=2285 claims that it was a hoax of sorts." It's an employee from another company that Apple works with that uploaded the pic as a joke. He uploaded the pic trought the Akamai Network... Sources at cupertino confirmed this... "

Anyone translate dutch? Their forums should yield some clues. Although if fake it would be very damaging to Apple's stock and I can't see why they wouldn't yell "we've been hacked..a viscous and irresponsible graphic incorrectly stating upcoming product specs" or something.
post #712 of 1072
Quote:

I'm picturing a guy talking to his underpants saying "good catch". Eww.

post #713 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
Hmmm, according to someone who read a translation the site http://www.macfreak.org/cgi/forums/t...=16&topic=2285 claims that it was a hoax of sorts." It's an employee from another company that Apple works with that uploaded the pic as a joke. He uploaded the pic trought the Akamai Network... Sources at cupertino confirmed this... "

Hey, haven't I seen this before?

Yeah, I know there's a lot of threads here...
post #714 of 1072
Quote:
Hey, haven't I seen this before?

Yeah, I know there's a lot of threads here...

Not sure, but i'm curious to the explanation that it's a hoax. However, I can't read dutch (I was told). Anyone care to translate a post or two from that thread?
post #715 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
Anyone translate dutch?

I do. Although it's not really saying more than you paraphrased there. People are just guessing. One person says Akamai can expect a large claim if this turns out to be their mistake.
In any case, this "Leon" person seems to 'know' several people who confirmed it, and the other members there appear to believe him.
post #716 of 1072
Where the devil is Lemon Bon Bon!
post #717 of 1072
Well, lemme just translate the first paragraph or so:

Quote:
The screenshots that show the specs of the "Powermac G5" appear to be a hoax. Several sources have confirmed this to Macfreak, including one contact inside Apple Cupertino. It is an action of a (former) employee of a firm with which Apple cooperates often. This person has uploaded a picture through Akamai with the "specs" of the G5. Akamai is a large content delivery provider which is contracted by Apple to host the AppleStore.

What the purpose of this person was is unclear, but it is clear that this is no real mistake on the part of Apple.

...(remarks about rumor madness and the sighting of the macs in Germany)
post #718 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by tsukurite
Where the devil is Lemon Bon Bon!

Lemon Bon Bon was found in a coma, Naked. With nothing on his computer screen but G5 specs and my preecioussss scrolled accross his walls in what appeared to be catsup.. More on this later.
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #719 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by der Kopf
I do. Although it's not really saying more than you paraphrased there. People are just guessing. One person says Akamai can expect a large claim if this turns out to be their mistake.
In any case, this "Leon" person seems to 'know' several people who confirmed it, and the other members there appear to believe him.

If that's the case, Apple better disavow it pretty quickly, the stock market seems to have reacted to the news.
post #720 of 1072
Quote:

I wouldn't say "underwhelmed" but not as overwhelmed as people on these boards seem to be. If they are all available Monday that would be overwhelming. And if the dual 2Ghz is priced at the current "Fastest" price point, that would be pretty impressive. But I am not convinced that the 1.6 will smoke the dual 1.42s for things I care about. And I doubt I will be able to get my hands on the dual 2.0 any time soon (and I suspect it will cost me ~$3500 when I get it).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs