or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 23

post #881 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
W

Dubya is going to introduce the new machines?

"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #882 of 1072
RDF? I know what CPR means but RDF?

I suggest that moki posts a PGP encrypted message and posts the correct key to decode it on tuesday.
In that message he could write what he knows but isn't allowed to say and proves for the rest of us that he isn't just making so vague comments because he doesn't know more than we do.
post #883 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by bka77
RDF?

Reality Distortion Field

it surrounds Jobs and drags you in if you get too close, even if you just watch a QuickTime stream.

cheers.
post #884 of 1072
Thanks GnOm
post #885 of 1072
heavy could mean heavy...the pm could be going from plastic to metal..that surely would add quite a bit of weight.....

as for the wrong "W" word...

i think he means "wallaby" because australia will be the first country to get the new PMs

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #886 of 1072
Quote:
I think W = Workstation...

I've been thinking they might have a workstation also. They dropped the number of PCI slots to three, while at the same time they seem to be making a push for the higher end users (with all of they're software acquisitions.) I'd love to see quads. The idea of a dual "low end" machine would be slightly odd, though.
post #887 of 1072
G5'S
ARE IN THE HOUSE
Apple store in NYC has palletes ready to go
question remains what hardware will be available Monday
post #888 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by blueboy
G5'S
ARE IN THE HOUSE

and you haven't opened one yet?? just kidding....gotta keep at least one surprise for monday's keynote....plus we aren't worth losing a cool apple store job over

g
post #889 of 1072
Quote:
G5'S
ARE IN THE HOUSE

So who dies? Oh wait, I'm thinking of Harry Potter.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #890 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
It will only take Doom 3 and Half Life (or maybe just Doom 3 ), and the rest amounts to, "if you build it, they will come". If half life and doom 3 both perform significantly faster on Powermac, then gamers will begin migrating to the Mac.

But only if these games really ship for Mac. And who knows what company acquires the interactive division of Vivendi before Half-Life 2 is released. Remember Halo and what happened to Half-Life.

But a G5 with a current graphics card should attract developers as well as gamers - no question.

BTW: Just realised that I was dumb enough to choose "Email Notifaction" and discovered 50 new mails on my webmail account. Thanks, people!
this space for rent
this space for rent
post #891 of 1072
post #892 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by thegelding
i think he means "wallaby" because australia will be the first country to get the new PMs

My, my, my... you've done it again. Way to spoil it!

post #893 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by FalkoL

BTW: Just realised that I was dumb enough to choose "Email Notifaction" and discovered 50 new mails on my webmail account. Thanks, people!

Same here!

FalkoL: Main oder Oder?
post #894 of 1072
post #895 of 1072
Quote:
I suggest that moki posts a PGP encrypted message and posts the correct key to decode it on tuesday.

This is a fantasic idea!

Everyone seems to trust that Moki is truly 'in the know'... is there any reason for this? Not doubting here,it's just that I am a noob here and curious how he gained this trust without giving out any 'classified' info.
post #896 of 1072
If it ever stopped raining around here for half a day, I would cut my grass also...

Not that I want to go out in the Florida heat, and sweat my arse off while decapitating blades of grass...

And anything else that gets in the way...

About 53+ hours to go until the keynote is 'live' on the web...

(I decided not to go to Tampa for the show...)

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #897 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by bka77
FalkoL: Main oder Oder?

Let me put it this way, because it also fits for Apple and the G5: Nie mehr zweite Liga!
this space for rent
this space for rent
post #898 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by detah
personally, i think moki's posts are retarded. if you're under an nda, why bother? ridiculously ambigious mutterings on already circulating rumors.

i'm not trying to get you to prove anything, cuz i don't think you have squat. i just think you are annoying.

He isn't under a NDA. If he was under a NDA he wouldn't even be allowed to hint at what was coming and it's obvious to Apple who is posting when he posts so there would be repercussions if he broke a NDA.

Whether he chooses to not say it straight out because he's protecting people or because it's more fun his way I don't know but he definitely does have information. He has shown that time and again.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #899 of 1072
Quote:
He isn't under a NDA. If he was under a NDA he wouldn't even be allowed to hint at what was coming and it's obvious to Apple who is posting when he posts so there would be repercussions if he broke a NDA.

This is interesting though... he must get his info from someone under an NDA, and if he says too much he would risk getting that person in trouble. Either way, it isn't a smart thing to do considering someones job is at stake. Which makes the idea of him being 'in the know' suspect, IMO.
post #900 of 1072
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the G5 will also be at 2.5Ghz when announced, though not necessarily ready to ship immediately. I think Apple really wants that ballbusting chip...

if not, I'll eat crow.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #901 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the G5 will also be at 2.5Ghz when announced, though not necessarily ready to ship immediately. I think Apple really wants that ballbusting chip...

if not, I'll eat crow.

I think Apple really wants to ship dual Power4+'s at 1.7GHz in every iMac, but what would be ideal and what reality is are often two very different things. Just because it would be nice doesn't make it practical.

Hope you cook it before you eat it. Those things carry some nasty diseases.
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
post #902 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Karma
I think Apple really wants to ship dual Power4+'s at 1.7GHz in every iMac, but what would be ideal and what reality is are often two very different things. Just because it would be nice doesn't make it practical.

Hope you cook it before you eat it. Those things carry some nasty diseases.

Cooking is certain. I've also taken the liberty of setting out the Jack Daniel's Grilling Sauce to add some nice flavor to it.

Mind you my guess was pure speculation, and I in no way claim any sort of knowledge pertaining to it.

post #903 of 1072
If W=workstation, why would we be dissapointed? As long as Powermac G5s show up with the leaked specs, it's difficult to imagine how anyone could be dissapointed. A workstation would be the icing on the cake, not a downer.

If it's simply a wait after an introduction at WWDC, how bad could that be? Apple can't go too long between announcement and shipping, especially if they're taking orders for the new Powermacs. The way I could see "dissapointment" creep in is if Powermac G5s were introduced at WWDC, but didn't ship until August or September, and couldn't be ordered until that time, either. Meanwhile the current Powermacs remain up at the Apple Store. This would definitely dissapoint, but I don't remember Apple ever having launched a new product in such a clumsy way before.

post #904 of 1072
Quote:
Apple can't go too long between announcement and shipping

*cough*17" PB's*cough*

post #905 of 1072
Announcing the G5s on Monday and not shipping them until Panther is released (August/September) would only be really disappointing to Apple. Who the hell would a G4 Powermac after the G5 is announced? Who the hell would buy any computer from Apple if the G5 prices are relatively low? Even with SJ just demoing Panther and announcing the G5s, how could anyone be disappointed? Regardless, I'm going into hard-core saving mode so I can buy one of the G5s, whenever they're released.
post #906 of 1072
Smeagoal
post #907 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
If W=workstation, why would we be dissapointed? As long as Powermac G5s show up with the leaked specs, it's difficult to imagine how anyone could be dissapointed. A workstation would be the icing on the cake, not a downer.

ATTENTION MODS! JYD'S ACCOUNT HAS BEEN COMPROMISED!
post #908 of 1072
What if these specs are fake and Apple called the IBM people for a meeting to cope with this situation? If they were fake but the specs are possible within say 2 months, they could still announce them and ship later.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryn...ess/6131212.htm
post #909 of 1072
Apple did not post a rebuttle to the specs. If they were wrong they would have had to. As a public corp. they would file a press release to deny.
post #910 of 1072
I'm sitting here at 1:53 pm EDT thinking that in two days we'll be in the heart of the WWDC getting all these questions answered. All of the months and months of agony wondering what Apple will do to improve its hardware performance....resolved...

I can't f***ing wait.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #911 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the internet is losing its accuracy.

Remember, Internet is a specific noun. Always capitalize!
Justin L Croonenberghs
United States Air Force

"Trust me, it's always the red button"
Justin L Croonenberghs
United States Air Force

"Trust me, it's always the red button"
post #912 of 1072
It seems to me that moki has been quite consistent. He has hinted that we will be impressed with the announcements Monday. Judging by the reaction to the leaked specs he was right on that. He has also said that the 970s were not in production in May and has said that, if we are expecting these machines to be shipping soon we will be disappointed.

To me this leaves a couple questions:

What is in the boxes that everyone claims are showing up at the Apple Stores? Are they the low end PowerMacs? Or something else entirely?

And when will the high end machines ship? July? October quarter? Later?

I am going to guess that the boxes are demo units, and that the new machines ship in September with Panther installed. (Don't want to get my hopes up too high.)

moki?
post #913 of 1072
"Good"=now

Droolworthy "better" and "best"= staggered over the summer.
post #914 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
It seems to me that moki has been quite consistent. He has hinted that we will be impressed with the announcements Monday. Judging by the reaction to the leaked specs he was right on that. He has also said that the 970s were not in production in May and has said that, if we are expecting these machines to be shipping soon we will be disappointed.

What is in the boxes that everyone claims are showing up at the Apple Stores? Are they the low end PowerMacs? Or something else entirely?

I am going to guess that the boxes are demo units, and that the new machines ship in September with Panther installed. (Don't want to get my hopes up too high.)

moki?

Apple for the first time of his history had the kindness to give us in advance the spec of the new macs. And you are still in doubt ?

The rumors about the PPC 970 where nearly said the same things : the yields where better than expected. Having better yields than expected imply that the chip are already in production.

Dispite the great respect due to Moki, who try to give us some info via cryptic messages (because he is under nda) dispite the fact that nothing oblige him to do so, we must be aware that he does not know everything.

I wait monday without any fear, i know that the new powermacs will be there, the surprise will come from the case desing and the new pricing.

The PPC 970 looks like an extraterrestrial chip compared to the G4 but is on par with the lattest productions coming from Intel or AMD with his opteron. SOI 0,13 have been used for more than one year by IBM, the power4 core his very mature. There is no reason that the 970 is not in production.
I will add that Smeagol does not make any sense if there isn't any powermac G5.
Apple is going to present the developper version of panther, not smeagol.
post #915 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Apple for the first time of his history had the kindness to give us in advance the spec of the new macs. And you are still in doubt ?

I don't doubt the specs but Apple didn't have the kindness to post even estimated ship dates. If you looked at Apple's website after the MWSF keynote you would have seen the specs for a 17" PowerBook, but you couldn't actually get one for over two months. While I certainly hope that you are right that we can get these machines on the 23rd, I see little evidence that we will, especially the high end machines.
post #916 of 1072
When Superman went around the world really fast in the movie, how did it make time go backwards?

I would go forward to Monday.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
post #917 of 1072
I think that be now, we would have agreed that the specs "pictured" ARE the specs.
post #918 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
It seems to me that moki has been quite consistent. ....He has also said that the 970s were not in production in May and has said that, if we are expecting these machines to be shipping soon we will be disappointed.

Did he actually say that? I believe what he said is this:

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaktai
* Power PC 970 introduced at WWDC.
* Availability? Immediatly or within 2 weeks for Single processor machines. Probably 1.4 and 1.8 ghz.
* Dual processors to follow within another 2-3 weeks.

You're setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

So he took the top three items of my prediction (an "in context" quote), and made a simple statement. From what Moki said, we can determine that at least part, but not necessarily all of what I stated was incorrect. The timing of this statment was on June 12th. Now based upon Moki's further statements later on, it was implied that the "disappointment" is not so much "what" as perhaps.... let's see what is another "W" word that would fit in there?

Aw heck, it is only 2 more days. I'm not going to spell it out for you. Excersise those brain cells. -- Clue: Don't take every thing so literally, and don't over analyze it and don't go paranoid. Consider all numbers approximations that can be higher or lower, and then consider Moki's other comments. Keep it all in context. It really does start making sense. Go back and read the rest of what I said that he didn't comment on. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=3

I think Moki states things the way he does to keep it fun and open ended, and some folks take it far too seriously. It's a rumor forum, there are no absolutes, just many possibilities. If you want absolutes, you have to wait for Steve's keynote. It's that simple.

Edit: There is nothing that says one of the models won't ship immediatly, and nothing that says it will. What is in those "boxes"?
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #919 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL
I don't doubt the specs but Apple didn't have the kindness to post even estimated ship dates. If you looked at Apple's website after the MWSF keynote you would have seen the specs for a 17" PowerBook, but you couldn't actually get one for over two months. While I certainly hope that you are right that we can get these machines on the 23rd, I see little evidence that we will, especially the high end machines.

Apple will not make pict of specs two months in advance. however for the shipping date you are certainly right : i think that the single will be avalaible in the short term, but not the dualie who will ship some weeks later certainly.
post #920 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by JBL

moki?

Go check out this guys posts as well:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/searc...searchid=23629

There are a few other factual clues given out there.

It's not all consistent but it does narrow things down a bit. More votes for powermacs shipping later than for shipping next week, and some votes for PBs on Monday, but not 970s. Nobody is seriously refuting the specs posted on Apple's site.

I think a PMac G5 announcement + PB revs shipping + Panther + some little goodies + new software announcements should leave us all very, very happy. More will come later this year, for certain.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs