or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs

Apple leaks G5 specs - Page 24

post #921 of 1072
Yes, I've also noticed that the posts by Flippant have an air of actual knowledge about them. Maybe he just does a particularly good Moki impression. Nonetheless, one of his posts makes me wonder if the 17 inch PowerBook is getting a 970, whereas the 15 inch gets updated to Alu but stays G4. This would make a lot of sense to me.

edit:spelling
post #922 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
Mind you my guess was pure speculation, and I in no way claim any sort of knowledge pertaining to it.

Which is my beef with most of the posts around here.

To review, folks: increases in clock speed generally come as a result of changes in one of two areas: the design, or the fabrication process. Now the 970 design is pretty much set - even if they had a better design (970+?) coming down the road, it would make sense to start fabbing the 970 as is and let the higher speeds come later. This leaves the fabrication process. In order to hit 2.5 GHz, IBM would have had to have made a 33% improvement in their fabrication process - and not told anybody. This doesn't seem reasonable; there are other customers using East Fishkill, IBM wants to tout any advantages of their fab, and they're still looking for customers.

While hitting 2.0GHz from initial estimates of 1.8GHz is reasonable, some unknown improvement that lets them hit 2.5GHz is not. That won't come until a die shrink.

Hope you enjoy your dinner. For the rest of you, if you want to avoid eating strange avian meat, I'd suggest asking a question or two instead of making baseless speculation. If you don't know anything about CPUs or semiconductors, ask if it'd be reasonable for IBM to hit 2.5GHz rather than put your culinary life on the line
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
post #923 of 1072
http://library.inspiredsites.net/sto...toryReader$408

it's not like a 2.5Ghz PPC 970 is unheard of.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #924 of 1072
Quote:
http://library.inspiredsites.net/sto...toryReader$408

it's not like a 2.5Ghz PPC 970 is unheard of.

It was later clarified that the 2.5GHz number would come once they switched to a 0.09 micron process - see above regarding fabrication process improvements. Initial estimates at 0.13 micron were 1.4-1.8 GHz. This is the number that IBM has been quoting for some time now.

Next time I'd recommend a little research before posting. It tends to help your position seem a bit more knowledgable.
post #925 of 1072
Any chance, any chance AT ALL, that the "leak" was orchestrated and signed off on by Steve and Apple themselves?

What if Monday is BETTER?!?

post #926 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Any chance, any chance AT ALL, that the "leak" was orchestrated and signed off on by Steve and Apple themselves?

<sigh>
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #927 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Karma
It was later clarified that the 2.5GHz number would come once they switched to a 0.09 micron process - see above regarding fabrication process improvements. Initial estimates at 0.13 micron were 1.4-1.8 GHz. This is the number that IBM has been quoting for some time now.

Next time I'd recommend a little research before posting. It tends to help your position seem a bit more knowledgable.

I;m aware of the retraction that came later, and I never claimed my post to be gospel. I just made a wild guess. And I stated it was so, so the fact I don't have 7 volumes of research to back my statement is sort of redundant.

post #928 of 1072
Quote:

Systematic cardiac arrests of a large portion of the appleinsder community, resulting in lost revenue for the apple 3rd quarter due to the inability of said arrestees to order a 970 from their hosptial bed.
post #929 of 1072
Gosh, I'm going to be the idiot Mac-crazy guy in my family again if they announce a PowerBook G5 anytime THIS year. I just bought this TiBook, and I promised myself it would last through undergrad.

But with the way digital photography is advancing, having a portable machine that could process huge film-quality files alongside a good dye-sub printer would pay for itself quickly. Imagine...going to events (like a graduation or wedding) and being able to offer attendees the chance to grab a few shots they especially liked before walking out the door. Talk about personalized instant "thank-yous!"

See, there I go, validating my position in buying a (nonexistent as of yet) computer!
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

post #930 of 1072
Just saw it on Ars.

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437
post #931 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by soulcrusher
Just saw it on Ars.

Ouch!

Looks like this was a real leak and not some PR stunt.

Sucks to be out of a job in this economy...

Blueflame
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor...

post #932 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
<sigh>

Oh, lighten the fück up. What are you sighing and rolling your eyes about?

Was it REALLY that bad?
post #933 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by soulcrusher
Just saw it on Ars.

Here's the text. Anybody think the leak was intentional now?

Title: Web Publishing Manager WW Apple Store
Req. ID: 1978437

Summary

Function supports the World Wide Store management team and the 2+Billion online business. The position manages day to day publishing requirements such as image updates, third party loads, pricing changes, new feature enhancements, application improvements and application testing. Position also supports product launch deadlines, managing graphic and business resources to achieve business objectives. The job includes the ability to manage resources, prepare appropriate documentation based on business requirements, delegate tasks to team members, effectively and clearly communicate project status and manage project risk. Project Manager will have direct reports and is responsible for coordinating with world wide counterparts.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties of this position include:
? Manage day to day publishing requirements as well as ongoing product launch activities
? Use management techniques to maximize team performance through effective motivation tools, counseling Motivation, team, optimizing performance, scheduling,
? Identifies and manages to major project milestones and communicates project status on a regular basis
? Conducts weekly project meetings with cataloging, graphics and store management teams
? Responsible for ensuring accountability to the resolution of key issues.
? Prioritize and delegate key project tasks to team members
? Meets with business owners to develop effective merchandising plans for stores
? Provides the customers with alternatives when key problems surface on the project
? Writing formal business requirements documents for projects/enhancements. works with management to prioritize development projects
? Act as a liaison between the business and technology to ensure business project needs are adequately met with technology solutions

Minimum Qualifications
? Proven ability to manage to deadlines
? Excellent communication, leadership and ecommerce skills
? Ability to maintain and develop relationships within the project team
? Ability to develop new strategies and options for new projects
? Understanding of the business processes as needed by the project
? Excellent organizational and documentation skills
?Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work in a dynamic and unpredictable work environment

Education and/or Experience
? BA/BS, MBA or MS degree preferred, 5-7 years business experience preferred
? Experience in electronic commerce sales environment required
? Experience managing direct reports and cross functional teams.
? Their work product is of the good to excellent quality and needs minimal review by their management.
? Ability to build and maintain business relationships and monitor customers perceptions of the deliverables
? Keeps up with market and industry trends, emerging technologies.

post #934 of 1072
I think Monday will bring a lot of wonderful things, not just new PowerMacs. Some of these will be immediate, some will come later. I just can't help feeling that Steve has some surprises.

I really suspect that the .gif was an accident. Whether or not it was accurate is another story. It may have been an employee's fantasy or disguntled (already on their way out the door) employee's revenge.

Less then 48 hours now. I can wait that long. The weekend will pass quickly, and by the time I get off work on Monday the truth will be made clear. By mid fall or sooner I will buy a new computer. It will be the best Macintosh that I can afford at the time, no matter what is available. I strongly suspect it will be running an IBM 970 CPU. No matter what it is, it will be a whole lot faster and more elegant then my current PPC 800 single. Life will be good.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #935 of 1072
Quote:
Oh, lighten the fück up. What are you sighing and rolling your eyes about?

Was it REALLY that bad?

No offense intended, I'm just really tired of all the conspiracy theories, even in jest. The leak was a simple (but HUGE) mistake. See the new job posting above.

post #936 of 1072
What's with all the question marks? Is this really the Apple site? EDIT: I've just checked the site and they're bullets in the original.
post #937 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by skunk
What's with all the question marks? Is this really the Apple site?

Go to the link. It's real.

post #938 of 1072
Everyone is assuming this to be a new job listing, but does anyone know that as fact?

post #939 of 1072
How, exactly, does someone make THAT big and obvious of a mistake? You can't just accidentally post something, without trying can you?

If you're smart and talented enough to get that sort of job in the first place, how is it that you can manage to do something this stupid and harmful (well, to Steve's dreams of a eye-popping keynote)?

If you had that .gif on your computer or whatever, it just doesn't automatically throw itself up on the server by itself does it?

Were they performing a test? Was it a surly, disgruntled type in a "I'll show them..." mood? Was it on purpose? Was it truly that much of a blunder? Honestly?

I don't know...I"m asking.

In any case, I see no dates or any sort of time reference on that job announcement. Are we certain it's new. I mean, no one - until Thursday night - would've gone to Apple specifically looking for it, you know?
post #940 of 1072
Quote:
You can't just accidentally post something, without trying can you?

yes you can. I'm not going to say it was a easy mistake but i know exactly how that could happen.
post #941 of 1072
it's not all that uncommon.

post #942 of 1072
With a commercial infrastructure the size Apple's, it's possible, and eternally regrettable for the soul who accidentally included it on the upload list.

I'm guessing Apple, like all other major sites, has a specific coding system for all images, and whomever was working on maintenance that night just got a bit tired before leaving for home. Shit, even miserably bad shit, happens.

post #943 of 1072
Quote:
How, exactly, does someone make THAT big and obvious of a mistake? You can't just accidentally post something, without trying can you?

If you're smart and talented enough to get that sort of job in the first place, how is it that you can manage to do something this stupid and harmful (well, to Steve's dreams of a eye-popping keynote)?

If you had that .gif on your computer or whatever, it just doesn't automatically throw itself up on the server by itself does it?

Were they performing a test? Was it a surly, disgruntled type in a "I'll show them..." mood? Was it on purpose? Was it truly that much of a blunder? Honestly?

I don't know...I"m asking.

In any case, I see no dates or any sort of time reference on that job announcement. Are we certain it's new. I mean, no one - until Thursday night - would've gone to Apple specifically looking for it, you know?

So Apple is looking for a new Apple Store webmaster two days after the biggest leak in company history and you think it's coincidence?

Yes, I agree with you that the mistake was shocking in its ineptitude and magnitude, but human error is the only explanation. The only other option is intent and no publicly traded, multi-billion dollar company would EVER do that.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains is the truth, no matter how improbable.

post #944 of 1072
bullets and dashes sometimes become question marks when copying and pasting text. this has happened for years.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #945 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by Blueflame
Ouch!
Looks like this was a real leak and not some PR stunt.
Sucks to be out of a job in this economy...

god, can you imagine the blast radius when steve found out about this? also sucks to have on your resume "fired due to unintentional leak to the entire macintosh community about upcoming products, causing massive fluctuations in purchasing and stock prices."

ugh.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #946 of 1072
I'm in the "low-end now, high end in 2-4 weeks" camp.

Let's remember one thing in the "will they or won't they be shipping on Monday" debate -- Apple picked the date for this. The lead time needed for moving the WWDC means Apple probably did not know for a certainty they could actually ship something on June 23rd, but the confidence level must have been fairly high.

The delay in shipping the PB 17" is not a reliable predictor for G5 shipping delays. Two reasons:
(1) Apple chose to announce the PB 17" a little earlier than it probably should have, in order to fit into a conference schedule it couldn't change;
(2) IIRC part of the delay in shipping the PB 17" was a case flex issue that showed up in manufacturing post-announcement. The G5 tower enclosure isn't nearly as complicated to manufacture as the 17" PB (at least I hope so) -- and it's far less likely to have problems crop up unexpectedly.

As an aside, I bought an Airport Base Station yesterday at the Apple Store Southdale (MN), and they told me no "mystery boxes" have been received. OTOH, it was their experience that boxes for special events typically aren't delivered until the day before, or even the day of, the event.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
post #947 of 1072
I'm not kidding when i say this but if the person that did this really did get fired, he or she almost must be experincing clinical depression.I feel sorry for them. i hope its not the case or if it is they get another job other real soon now.
post #948 of 1072

I think - upon realizing what I'd just done - I would've just grabbed my jacket and keys, scurried out as quickly/quietly as possible, drive home and packed my shit and just moved to Nebraska or something before the next morning.

And I'd leave a Post-It on Steves's door: "Sorry...good luck Monday!" because that's the type of thoughtful, considerate person I am.

post #949 of 1072
Quote:
I;m aware of the retraction that came later, and I never claimed my post to be gospel. I just made a wild guess. And I stated it was so, so the fact I don't have 7 volumes of research to back my statement is sort of redundant.

Then don't agree to eat crow over a wild guess. Here's an idea: instead of eating crow if the G5 isn't announced at 2.5 GHz, why not go down to your local printer and order a large rubber stamp that says "WARNING: This post not thought through and may have no relation to reality"? Either that, or make your guesses sound a bit more like guesses. It's fun to consider random possibilities, but I wouldn't put my name down on one just because I would want it to be true. Heck, I'm still hoping for an announcement involving MojaveMP / 750VX / whatever. NMR can't be all wrong...

OK; I think I'm taking this a bit too seriously. I'm gonna go relax and wait until Monday.
post #950 of 1072
i dont know if u guys have already said this but call 1800myapple and ask about the G5....keep on asking and telling them it was on theyre own website. It's fun for the whole family!
post #951 of 1072
Monday! Monday! Toga! Toga!
post #952 of 1072
Holy Christ Karma, you do need to relax. I merely took a wild guess, and thought I made it clear a guess was all it was. Why does a wild guess need to be backed up with factual documentation from IBM and Apple?

And the reason i said I'd eat crow is because I knew it was an ultra-longshot and was probably dumb enough to warrant eating crow when it proves not to be so.

Please point me to the AI guidelines for posting guesses and speculation so I may assimilate myself to these forums.

post #953 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by jessefoxperry
i dont know if u guys have already said this but call 1800myapple and ask about the G5....keep on asking and telling them it was on theyre own website. It's fun for the whole family!

Leave those poor people alone! Jeez. It was probably cute to them the first 40 or so callers. Now it's probably just annoying.

Say you owned a lawn and garden shop and you slipped and put a spec or feature or ad for a lawnmower that doesn't exist in your weekly newspaper ad,...would YOU want smarmy, baiting, snickering smart-asses calling you 9,000 times over the next 3 days trying to buy said lawnmower, KNOWING damn well they can't?

Have a heart.

Besides, if you prankster pinheads are clogging up the phones with your nonsense when I'm trying to place a LEGITIMATE order to Apple, I'm gonna be really mad.

post #954 of 1072
im sorry, i dont know what got into me
post #955 of 1072
The accidental (or not) leak of the G5 is a great talking point, but who the hell is sitting in front of their screens 24/7 refrsheshing their brower every 5 seconds to catch this sort of thing? Or was it a tip off?

I jumped the last 20 billion replies on this thread so ignore me if this has already been said.
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
Mac mini 1.42ghz & OS X Tiger
The best computing platform in the world
post #956 of 1072
one word....no two words no life
not say'n that wouldn't been cool to be the one to show everyone....but still
post #957 of 1072
Just a couple of points, to Anonymous specifically, and every one in general.

First, lighten up on the guy, Rageous labeled his post as a guess and you've been bad-mouthing him since. Not every thing here needs to be original research.

Second, I've been reading everything I can on this board and others since I first heard of the 970 last year. The 'facts' we know about it are very limited. IBM is making it. It would work fine (IBM's opinion) for Apple if they wanted to use it. Thats about all thats been confirmed. Assuming Apple has been working with IBM, and given Apple's desire for secrecy, is it really so far fetched that IBM's clarification about the 2.5 GHz could have been only smoke at Apple's request? It was about the time they would have just been moving into production, maybe getting the first chips done.

You may know alot more about chip fabrication than I do (2 classes of Computer Architecture getting my BA in CSci) - I hope you do, but is it theoretically possible to get the 970 to 2.5 GHz while at this technology (.13) level? I don't know?

I do believe if the specs posted 'accidentally' by Apple were high they would have had to retract them publically, and not let SJ walk out Monday and disappoint all of the Mac world. So I believe that they are real and were accidentally posted, but, but I think there is a very small chance that SJ did this on purpose for the early publicity, and if he did he will have something special above and beyond that posted, powerbooks, workstations or a higher top end -- something. So I think the question is worth asking about something above 2.0 GHz.

Opinions appreciated!
post #958 of 1072
Quote:
Originally posted by cybermonkey
The accidental (or not) leak of the G5 is a great talking point, but who the hell is sitting in front of their screens 24/7 refrsheshing their brower every 5 seconds to catch this sort of thing? Or was it a tip off?

I jumped the last 20 billion replies on this thread so ignore me if this has already been said.

It was probably caught by random chance. Someone browsing the store for whatever reason, (may not have been in the continental U.S after all). They saw that, e-mailed their buddies, or posted it to a forum. The forums are active all time of the day and night (remember we are international and active in all time zones). Within minutes, the word is out in several forums and people have e-mailed their buddies who e-mailed their buddies and so on. The U.S store suddently sees a massive jump in traffic greatly beyond normal, which is probably what first alerted the folks at Apple that they have a problem. It may have looked like a denial of service attack at first. The traffic level was so high (yep I was one of them) it practically shut down the store. As soon as they identified what page was being hit with such fury, and realized what graphic in particular was being download, they knew what the problem was and shut the store down until it could be fixed.

Remember while it was late night Pacific time in Cupertino it was early morning in Europe with folks arriving at work, and in Honolulu (part of the US) it was still prime time and mid day in Asia.

We live in a fully international world, and on the internet news that would have taken days or weeks 50 years ago to spread, is now all over the world in seconds.
post #959 of 1072
According to the other thread on the job announcement, it was published less than two hours after the 'screw-up'. Must be Apple has one damn fine HR departement, or it's a coincidence (like it was a coincidence that of the hunderds of .gifs that get loaded onto apple.com the one with the G5 specifications was included), or someone is seriously pulling our leggs. I for one am slowly becoming a complot theory believer.
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #960 of 1072
Has anyone taken credit for the "discovery" of the G5 specs on Apple's site? Would be fun to know who it was. That and what their initial reaction was.

"WTF???!!!! Naaah, can't be....."
*hits refresh*
"Holly Freaking Sh*t!!!!"
*hits refresh again*
"Wow wow wow....!!!!!!"
"Can't believe I actually got something on my 5,351st refresh!!!!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple leaks G5 specs