post #2 of 209
beat me by 1 minute!

Z

Mirror
post #3 of 209
very interesting

bit dissapointed for some reason tho
post #4 of 209
Neat, I like the subtle change in the general GUI, to be honest I never really liked those thin white stripes.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #5 of 209
Yeah, just saw those myself, about 10 minutes ago.

"Revamped Finder"? Wow. Just kinda getting used to the one I'm using.

Think this is some wild, radical departure? Because, the whole point is to be productive and not have to re-learn everything from the ground up ever 12-18 months.

Looks nice. I like the pinstriping being gone/toned down.

If it's snappy and responsive and getting more and more that way with each update, then I'm happy.
post #6 of 209
Hm... if it's legit, looks pretty cool
post #7 of 209
Look real. The silvery title bars on the dialog boxes and System Preferences look great, but that brushed metal Finder window is ASS! God, please don't make that be true.

Doesn't Expose' sound a little weird?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #8 of 209
No piles

Interesting how they combine some prefpanes.
post #9 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
very interesting

bit dissapointed for some reason tho

While I've not played with it or really know anything about it, my guess is that it'll feel really solid. I don't think we're getting a huge bank of new features, rather Apple is reworking the weak elements of OS X (Finder, etc.) and continuing to improve performance, integration, etc.

I think it's something we'll need to play with. Of course, the shots also have a number of things blanked out, so there may be some surprises yet.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #10 of 209
Looks good to me, but the real test will be what it feels like in use.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #11 of 209
The Macintosh Desktop Experience?

post #12 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

All very 'Woodstock'. Perfect for the granola-munching CEO.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #13 of 209
Prediction: Finder = total rewrite.

Cocoa?
post #14 of 209
One thing seemed a little weird to me...I might be wrong and if I am please let me know. Underneath the new iChat video window, there is a green bar. I don't know the purpose of it, just that it looks a lot like a Windows XP bar. Am I smoking something?
post #15 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

It's ALL about the experience.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz, 15" Matte, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, iPod nano 2GB Black.
post #16 of 209
Hmmm... can anyone post the direct links to the pics? Or inline here on these boards? Those forums seem to have become overwhelmed
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #17 of 209
I have them if anyone can host. Total for files is 1.2mb/9 images

Z
post #18 of 209
Looks like we don't have a new two button mouse coming though. If you look at the control pannel, notice it is just the regular old pro-mouse. Maybe that icon will change though come the final version. \
post #19 of 209
Someone jump on AIM and send me the pictures. "brainchild2b" I will have them mirrored (I work at web hosting company) as 4osx is getting slammed.

I can post them to the forums here then. Let me know.
post #20 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by zaz
I have them if anyone can host. Total for files is 1.2mb/9 images

Z

Sure I can take 'em. I've got school bandwidth that's just going to rot here during the summer

Just email them to me: bitethisspiders@foobar.you

Edit: Looks like webmail beat me to it. Oh, and don't mind the spider bait
post #21 of 209
Any images elsewhere?
post #22 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by long AAPL
Looks like we don't have a new two button mouse coming though. If you look at the control pannel, notice it is just the regular old pro-mouse. Maybe that icon will change though come the final version. \

Take a close look at the top of the mouse....where the wire usually is.

The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.
The following sentence is false.
The preceding sentence is true.
post #23 of 209
Hrm. I did get through to the post finally, but there aren't any pictures there.
post #24 of 209
I don't see any images either.
Is it a bandwith issue, or did Apple pounce again?
post #25 of 209
Alright here they are:

Pictures Removed. The moderator mirrored them. I don't need problems from Apple
post #26 of 209
Can someone please set up a mirror? I'm getting 404s on the images.

EDIT: Thank you!
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #27 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by Wotan
Take a close look at the top of the mouse....where the wire usually is.

That's true.... but it is still a one button mouse which means I'll still have to use my Logitech mouse to be productive and happy.

Overall I like the quick silver look and for the most part what I've seen, but if this is all we get, I'll be kinda disappointed. I expected this to be BIGGER than Jaguar. What's the deal with censoring iChat. There must be some pretty kick a$$ features they're hiding to make the "Stevenote" at least somewhat exciting.

From what it looks like mail, address book, and ical could still be developed more and integrated more the way the iLife suite is. But maybe this is an early build. Maybe they will be released separately and just require Panther. Or maybe the features are just hidden in the menu bar. I guess we won't know until after Monday's "Stevenote."

One thing I know for sure though, Apple is back, and I want a Mac again!
post #28 of 209
God, I really hope that have the brushed metal interface as an option, and not the default. What is Apple smoking? That stuff is just totally, brutally ugly.
post #29 of 209
I'm guessing theses pictures are from a early build. Also notice how strip out the control panel is?

If this were from a developer Apple wouldn't have changed the mouse icon, they wouldn't have wanted developers to know about exciting new hardware.

I like that a bunch of icons are blocked. either new apps or stuff that cna tie it to that person.

expose is a killer feature that will help with window clutter. I love it I've wanted something like this forever. Way to go Apple!
post #30 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by knee
God, I really hope that have the brushed metal interface as an option, and not the default. What is Apple smoking? That stuff is just totally, brutally ugly.

The caption seems to imply with 'here is the new Finder with the Brushed Metal appearance" that it is selectable.

While cool, they probably do not do Panther justice. Screens of Jag didn't seem like a big deal either... but then I used it and WOW.

Unlike hardware, it is pretty difficult to convey usablity and features with a screen grab.

Z
post #31 of 209
Do do do! :whistles:
-- simX

Get Memory Usage Getter, the only Mac OS X utility that graphically displays the memory and CPU usage of every open process!
800 MHz 17" G4 iMac | 1 GB RAM | SuperDrive | OS X 10.2.6 Build...
-- simX

Get Memory Usage Getter, the only Mac OS X utility that graphically displays the memory and CPU usage of every open process!
post #32 of 209
Looks like Looprumors was correct about more brushed metal look
post #33 of 209
Here's a mirror set up by me:

http://www.3mbc.com/panther
post #34 of 209
I think the brushed metal is going to be an "option"

MacRumors makes it sound like it "is" the new look. I think there will be an option to turn on the metal look.
post #35 of 209
Very cool. I for one love the look of the "new" finder.
post #36 of 209
Don't post mirrors on your .Mac accounts folks. Apple will terminate your accounts
post #37 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
dont host

remove those pics immediately or else apple will remove your account for you

Really? Are they jumping on this that quickly that your post was already removed? Or was that just your better judgement kicking in seconds after you posted?
post #38 of 209
If you can turn on the metal look how come it isn't on the menu bar? If that's the way it is that's kind of stupid. Personally I welcome the metal look but it should be system wide.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #39 of 209
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
Really? Are they jumping on this that quickly that your post was already removed? Or was that just your better judgement kicking in seconds after you posted?

i removed my post since i had provided inline links to the original pictures hosted on the original server but someone in this thread had already set up a mirror and provided inline images.

so, it was excessive
post #40 of 209
Do do do! :whistles:
-- simX

-- simX

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › New Panther Pics