post #441 of 441
"So why oh why do people still object to the idea?! Is there some vestige of IBM-hate left over from way back in the mid-80's? IBM ceased to be the "enemy" a long time ago, and now they build some of the best processors in the world which happen to be exactly what Apple needs."

You won't get any argument from me!

I think IBM is the way to go on performance. The 970 looks to be a stunner retorte to the last few years of x86 nyah nyahing. 970s in dual and quad and octo combos.

If you look in terms of Apple's current segments. They could sell cheaper Tower in single processor versions, duals at the prices they have now and quads in a new workstation superpro market and octo for Pixar uber pro.

From a vulnerable position, IF Apple play to the 'dual and upper' processor strategy strengths, in 'power'Macs Apple can make a stunning comeback.

This extends to X-serve. IF they get the above dual and onwards strategy into X-serves? The 970 could give stunning performance to Enterprise/business/Pixar style customers.

Later half 2003 gives Apple the chance to completely level and change the playfield re: performance.

As well as offer cheaper single CPU 'power'Macs.

It's all down to Apple. If all they do is offer single cpu 970s at their usual premiums then I think Apple won't have learned anything.

"I mean DUH!"

Well, yeah...

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...