or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › how long before g5 Powerbooks?

how long before g5 Powerbooks? - Page 5

post #161 of 164
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
Yes. And according to something I read recently (the Register?) the 7457 seems to be almost available in volume. Some other company recently started offering samples of embedded boards with the 7457.

There is no rule that says you can't use an embedded processor in a desktop. It is just that the needs of each application are a little different. Embedded applications usually run on less power and require less speed. Desktops usually want speed over power savings. On the other hand, a laptop is a good example of an embedded application.

I guess I am used to Motorola's designation as host processor versus embedded processor.
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #162 of 164
Quote:
Originally posted by TAZ
Aside from a G5 what I'd like to see in the next ffew months is this:

12" 1.3 Gig with 1 Mb L3
15" 1.3 Gig with 1 Mb L3
17" Dual 1.3 Gig with 1Mb L3 each

I'm no expert but would think that a dual G4 laptop would be way hotter than a single 1.2 or 1.4Ghz G5. Personally, I think dual processors in a laptop is a bad idea. Lots of people seem to be hoping for it though.
post #163 of 164
According to MacRumors:

"The G5 will make its way into PowerBook lines in Jan/Feb, Xserve's later this year, and iMacs in approximately one year."

So the Powerbook G5 will most likely be announced at MWSF. I can't see Apple making no updates between now and then - so a speedbump of some sorts will probably occur soon - assuming they want to go about 6 months between updates.
post #164 of 164
I'm still getting a G4 one, because a) I bet any new G5 PowerBook will cost more than the current models (look at the towers) and b) do I really need a G5?

No.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › how long before g5 Powerbooks?