or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider) - Page 4

post #121 of 553
What's that button in the upper right corner of the Display preference panel?
post #122 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
System Preferences - desktop

note how it says destop (without the k) in the title bar.... obviously a photoshopped fake
post #123 of 553
Har. Har.

I'm also curious what that little icon is in the Display pref pane. Another request/question: if you insert a blank CD-R, does it show up on the left, and if so, does it have a burn icon next to it like how a regular CD has an eject icon next to it?
post #124 of 553
Are there any improvements to disc burning?

Especially in regards to multiple session CD-R's
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #125 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
Think traffic light...

Yeah, because we all understand that a green light makes things bigger, a red light makes them disappear, and a yellow light makes them minimize...

Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
post #126 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
Yeah, because we all understand that a green light makes things bigger, a red light makes them disappear, and a yellow light makes them minimize...

It's not a hard concept, and I really doubt it deserves that stupid face. A green light means you can go, the window gets to go bigger. Red light means to stop, meaning the window will stop being there. Yellow light means to yield, or for the window to minimize. It makes sense to me, sure it's not a 45 pixel button that says anything like "This button will close the window it's attached to", but it conveys the message to me just fine.
post #127 of 553
I'm very dissapointed with panther's integrity. The menubar has pinstripes, but the title bars of windows don't, and the 'Itunes style' finder window has a different style of metal from the application window style.
post #128 of 553
Once you use them, you remember them. It's not like OS 9's itty bitty widgets told you much of anything. It's just that people who used them made the connection a billion times over 15 years.
post #129 of 553
But honestly! 2 types of metal AND Aqua?! WHY?
post #130 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Seems that Apple has run amok with that lefthand sidebar thing. They seem to use it every chance they get!

Yeah except in the one place where every Windows user uses it - the browser. I hate to admit it, but I miss the left-side bookmarks when I use Safari. I really like the bookmarks bar, but I don't understand why they don't have a left-side panel like OmniWeb, especially now that it's become standard Apple.
post #131 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by frawgz
What's that button in the upper right corner of the Display preference panel?

It opens a cloned window that contains *just* the display options that you can drag to another display if you have a multiple monitor setup.
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
But honestly! 2 types of metal AND Aqua?! WHY?

This is starting to sound like the original rants about the Public Beta and 10.0's Aqua (over platinum). This is almost as bad as that tired of traffic light argument. The new appearances really work well in person and I would ask that you wold off on the zealous rants until you actually tried it for a while yourself.

"2 types of metal AND Aqua"? I'm just not sure where you're coming from on this note. There's one metal. There's one Aqua. There is a very small number of other apps that do anything different. The Pro suite of software (FCP, Shake, DVDSP, Logic) is certainly an exception to this rule, but I don't think it's so big a deal. Some of these apps really *should* keep their unique UIs because they started that way and the hard-core developers have learned the ins and outs of those UIs. You will notice, however, that Apple *is* slowly weaning those users away from that custom UI, introducing more normal Aqua into the apps little by little.

I've mentioned this elsewhere several times in the "metal" discussions. It would seem that Apple is applying metal to one-window utility apps and media apps. All the iApps fit this (except iChat), Safari now can fit this (thanks to tabs), QuickTime Player fits this, and Final Cut Pro fits this. Now, the Finder sort-of fits this. Unless you are just a die-hard OS9 user that can't let go of your array of spawned windows, I believe most people are very much gravitating towards sticking with the "browser" style of using one main window to navigate the drive. This new finder looks to encourage that behavior even more.
post #132 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Once you use them, you remember them. It's not like OS 9's itty bitty widgets told you much of anything. It's just that people who used them made the connection a billion times over 15 years.

Actually, the OS 9 widgets were designed in response to hundreds of hours of user testing (Apple's original round of testing that let to their first Human Interface Guidelines). The OS X widgets were designed to look cool. The OS 9 widgets were better than Windows, but not the OS X ones...

I haven't been using the Mac for 15 years, only 4. The traffic lights are flashy (they call attention to themselves instead of to the document they're holding) and they don't offer any visual information on what they do. They are confusing to switchers and Mac veterans alike.

It's an old argument, sure, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Lots of good UI from Mac OS 9 is creeping back into OS X. And Mac OS X has improved on OS 9's GUI in plenty of places (such as the system preferences panel).

I am not trying to be a curmudgeon...I love OS X, and it keeps getting better. I don't like Metal, but Panther looks like a significant improvement as a whole. I'm looking forward to it.
post #133 of 553
I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but the Lucida text is more condensed than in 10.0-10.2
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #134 of 553
Quote:
It's an old argument, sure, but that doesn't make it any less valid. Lots of good UI from Mac OS 9 is creeping back into OS X. And Mac OS X has improved on OS 9's GUI in plenty of places (such as the system preferences panel).

I don't believe this is an accident, given that the OS 9 team was folded into the OS X team when development on OS 9 stopped.

Spit and polish, here we come.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #135 of 553
~
post #136 of 553
About Opem/Save Dialog Boxes.

In SAVE Dialog, can I select a existent file name and put it in the "untitled" box?

Regards,

BB.
post #137 of 553
Well, my last post on the window widgets. This thread is getting derailed: the placement made more sense, the icons were not any more "intuitive." Besides, you do have the rollover effect to help. (Though I think the rollover marks should be persistent and the color should be the rollover.)

Are there any options for saving PDF files from a save pr print dialog? Any compression options for example, even in Preview? Also, does it support PDF services like 10.2.4 and later? I would assume so, but I'm also a little curious if they have improved the icons for this in the save/print dialog.
post #138 of 553
Hey Brad- can I see some screenshots of sheets? In Jaguars metal apps (Safari, Itunes) save/dialogue sheets look really bad, because there is no distinct titlebar in Metal. Do sheets in Panther look any better?

Oh, and thanks a lot for the abundant screenshots.
post #139 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Hey Brad- can I see some screenshots of sheets?

Did you miss these?

Internet Connect - VPN sheet
TextEdit - mini save sheet
TextEdit - expanded *new* save sheet, list view
TextEdit - expanded *new* save sheet, column view
TextEdit - Spacing "other" sheet
TextEdit - Styles "other" sheet
post #140 of 553
Quote:
They are confusing to switchers and Mac veterans alike.

I just have to point out something here from my own experience. EVERY Windows user I know has been confused initially by the placement and functionality of the Classic Mac OS widgets. Most people hit the window-shade widget very frequently by accident thinking it closes the window since the button is so nondescript. I've watched my own mother do this time and time again, even.

On the other hand, EVERY single Windows user that has tried my Mac with Mac OS X for the first time has instantly gone for the red button to close the window.

Old theories and conjecture about what's "right" in the Classic interface are complete bunk next to my real-world observations.

If you want to carry on about a widget debate, I'll be happy to split this thread. Otherwise, let's stay on topic about Panther.
post #141 of 553
The whole concept of windows and widgets in wierd to begin with. Geez.
post #142 of 553
Quote:

Old theories and conjecture about what's "right" in the Classic interface are complete bunk next to my real-world observations.

On the money.

There's no such thing as a 100% intuitive UI.

You have to learn them ALL ...

... but it may as well look nice and not psis you off after long usage ... and that's where Panther is looking SO good.
meh
meh
post #143 of 553
Hey Brad throw up some screenies of the Colorsync Utility. Lots of new stuff for people who are picky about color.

TIA
four more beers, four more beers
four more beers, four more beers
post #144 of 553
Sorry, guys, but I'm heading off for the weekend. It's either sweet lovin' or Panther and Panther isn't that great right now. I'll fulfill all your lossless screenshot requests when I get back Sunday night or Monday morning, though. Adios!
post #145 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by cowerd
Hey Brad throw up some screenies of the Colorsync Utility. Lots of new stuff for people who are picky about color.

TIA

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
post #146 of 553
Quote:
Sorry, guys, but I'm heading off for the weekend. It's either sweet lovin' or Panther and Panther isn't that great right now. I'll fulfill all your lossless screenshot requests when I get back Sunday night or Monday morning, though. Adios!

What are we supposed to do all weekend while you're getting laid?

All of your work has been appreciated. I thank you. I'm sure Steve, Avie and Phil extend kudos also.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #147 of 553
Has anybody seen this one yet?

post #148 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
Has anybody seen this one yet?

Yeah...it is user permissions. It is the same as the CAPABILITIES button in the Jaguar user preferences.
post #149 of 553
How do those ColorSync filters work, or rather, what the hell are they there for?
post #150 of 553
post #151 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by bondi blue
About Opem/Save Dialog Boxes.

In SAVE Dialog, can I select a existent file name and put it in the "untitled" box?

Regards,

BB.

YUP!! You can now select the file you would like to overwrite and shen you click on SAVE, it asks you if you want to replace that file.
post #152 of 553
1. Greatest Panther thread EVAR.

2. Brad for AI member of the year.

3. I would like to humbly request three screenshots that I've yet to see anywhere but which I will be amazed if Apple improved them (well, maybe only sorta amazed given how good the rest of this stuff is).

View Options for Column, List and Icon views

Are they now at least somewhat consistent in appearance and functionality?
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #153 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by foad
Yeah...it is user permissions. It is the same as the CAPABILITIES button in the Jaguar user preferences.

hehe, Sorry, what I was referring to was the "To be implemented..." Just thought it was funny.
post #154 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
I would like to humbly request three screenshots that I've yet to see anywhere but which I will be amazed if Apple improved them (well, maybe only sorta amazed given how good the rest of this stuff is).

View Options for Column, List and Icon views

Are they now at least somewhat consistent in appearance and functionality?

Nothing really...

Icon View

List View

Column View
post #155 of 553
i am wondering if some long-standing OS X bugs and annoyances have finally been fixed in Panther:
  • does iTunes still consume an abnormally high amount of CPU (15-20% on my 700 Mhz iBook)?
  • does Word still consume 15-20% CPU in the background, seemingly doing nothing?
  • how well does VPC run under Panther, performance-wise of course?
  • is iCal finally usable under Panther, speed-wise again?
  • how frequently does the beachball of death appear, compared to Jaguar (where it still appears too often for my taste, and when it does, it doesn't go away for minutes!)?
  • I read that Help was finally usable. That's great news. However is the search finally smarter (as in more selective) or can you still only search across all application help files?
  • have the volume and brightness buttons become more responsive? On my iBook, it often takes a couple of seconds for the semi-translucent controls to show up on the screen.
post #156 of 553
Here's a Finder problem that's bugged me since 10.0:

* Leave a Finder window open in List mode, sorted by modification date.
* From another app or apps, modify some of the files within that window.

Do the files finally resort automatically, or do you have to click on each modified file to coax it into updating its modification date and its position in the sorted list?

I'm curious about other Finder update issues too, like files added to the desktop not appearing until you click on the desktop, windows showing remote file volumes not showing added or deleted files until clicking around inside the window to coax an update -- or sometimes having to close a window and reopen it to get an update.

I'd really like it if Panther would at least admit, like Windows does, that automatic updating might not always happen, and that having a Refresh command for Finder windows (as Windows has for Explorer windows) would be a Good Idea.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #157 of 553
Thanks iBrowse. I had a feeling they wouldn't touch them. Those three things - while not "major functionality" - are important, and yet the way they are organized and implemented remains completely...goofy.

For one thing, they should be a part of Finder Preferences, and said preferences should be in the form of a new "tab buttons" dialog. Four tabs IOW. Three for the view types and one for the general stuff.

For another, the range of options should be more consistent across the three view types, and the controls used to enable those options should be as similar as possible. I just will never get why they've implemented these items in this way.

Still got a few months, only time will tell I guess. I humbly (further) request any of you who agree with me in principle to send Apple feedback. I've done it a number of times in the past but I think quantity needs to be increased. Or should I say volume.

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #158 of 553
Wow, just caught all of Brad's screenshots on pg. 3.

Thanks Brad!
post #159 of 553
I am really happy to see that the volume/favorities pane can be viewed with smaller icons. However, I would love to know what the options are for showing those Finder panes, since I have a limited amount of desktop space and don't particularly need them constantly open. I know that the frames can be dragged open and closed (and perhaps double-click toggled back and forth), but it will be quite aggravating to have to do that many times a day. I truly prefer the spatial Finder of yore and would quite happy if Apple restored it completely through a Finder preference.

People have said the new Finder is far more multithreaded, which will be great. Can someone initiate a copy command, hold down a Finder menu and see whether the progress bar updates?
PPC4EVER
PPC4EVER
post #160 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Here's a Finder problem that's bugged me since 10.0:

I'd really like it if Panther would at least admit, like Windows does, that automatic updating might not always happen, and that having a Refresh command for Finder windows (as Windows has for Explorer windows) would be a Good Idea.

Oh ick, no.

MacOS X has a perfectly good Notification Manager system built in (or three), and it is strictly the Finder's fault if it isn't listening for file system updates. Putting in a lame hack to force the user to kick it in the ass when it gets brain dead because it was poorly designed is *NOT* acceptable... because that isn't the case here. The underlying design is fine, the Finder is broken. No need for a nasty hack.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)