or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider) - Page 5

post #161 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac
I am really happy to see that the volume/favorities pane can be viewed with smaller icons. However, I would love to know what the options are for showing those Finder panes, since I have a limited amount of desktop space and don't particularly need them constantly open. I know that the frames can be dragged open and closed (and perhaps double-click toggled back and forth), but it will be quite aggravating to have to do that many times a day. I truly prefer the spatial Finder of yore and would quite happy if Apple restored it completely through a Finder preference.

I think this is how it happens (as I've picked up from screenshots and descriptions): Clicking the toggle pill button in the upper right now toggles both the toolbar and the left pane simultaneously. Once those are gone, the Finder behaves as the Spatial Finder of OS 9. In other words, I think Panther is the one to win over the Classic diehards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #162 of 553
you're right frawgz, as Gambit wrote on the bottom of page 1:

In response to using the Finder the Classic way, this version of the Finder looks closer to the old way (when the button on the right is pushed) AND, get this, it even REMEMBERS window positions like OS 9 used to!! This new Finder feels and reacts like a souped up Classic version (only with Brushed Metal instead of Platinum). Good news for some of you! The spatial Finder is back if you want it to be!

sounds good to me
This space intentionally left blank.
This space intentionally left blank.
post #163 of 553
The icons in the left pane resize automatically, in response to resizing the window. You can also drag the divider to adjust the width of the pane, or close it off/hide it completely. Steve showed the icons in the pane resizing in the keynote I believe.
post #164 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by foad
Yeah...it is user permissions. It is the same as the CAPABILITIES button in the Jaguar user preferences.

It's funny though that ADC sent me an email that a bug i filed regarding capabilities should be fixed in Panther DP, and they ask if I could check if that's correct.

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #165 of 553
While playing with Panther, I have notice some nice features that I haven't see discussed elsewhere so I thought I'll mention them here :

1- In the Services menu, there is a "scan and OCR" menu. So I suppose OCR is built in panther, and you can directly send the result to your current word processor

2-In Image capture there is a share menu that allows you to share a Capture device, there is a "enable web share" but did not figure out what it was.

3-In iSync, there is a "remote device" menu, but greyed. I suppose this is for OTA syncing

Panther rocks...
post #166 of 553
Could someone confirm if Panther has OCR built-in. I looked for OCR software for OS X a while ago and it seems that though it is available, it's unreliable and horribly expensive. Having it as a feature in Panther would be nice.
post #167 of 553
i don't know if someone has told this but it's possible to create proxy printer anywhere you want. Also when you select a textedit or preview file you can select print in the contextual menu... don't know if this work with other files.
"I like workin on my Mac to jazz. A pianist doesn't spend time peeking inside the piano." Neville Brody
"I like workin on my Mac to jazz. A pianist doesn't spend time peeking inside the piano." Neville Brody
post #168 of 553
has anyone tried it on a mixed environment for networking? Has networking (being seen on a windows/linux network) and setting workgroups, etc been improved??
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #169 of 553
here's a question: can the left panes in the finder be switched to "text only" mode? i don't like running icons in my finder window because they're just so damned big. plus, having to space out the text made the icons space out oddly. and since they're the most dominant feature, it looked messy. i'd like it to run text only mode to save space like the current finder.
post #170 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by philrobin

3-In iSync, there is a "remote device" menu, but greyed. I suppose this is for OTA syncing

mmmmmm...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #171 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by philrobin

Panther rocks...

You. Must. Tell. Me. More.

meh
meh
post #172 of 553
"Remote device" in iSync :

As I said the menu is greyed, so cannot test...

But I suppose this is for OTA (Over The Air).

Imagine you mac is connected on an always on connection, at home... then you have one of these nice Palm with wireless network... you are in the street and you sync with your mac at home...

That is just a guess, but I have seen a previous rumour that mentioned OTA syncing.
post #173 of 553
Also I have noticed that the AddressBook has now a AppleScript menu, and the is an "AddressBook Plugin" folder in the library, so we'll soon see developpers creating extra features.
post #174 of 553
Banner Page?
Here is something that is essential in a lab or office-An easy to use banner (aka cover page) utility built into the the printer settings or in the print monitor that can be configured for a printer. The old classic version allowed you to define the banner and whether you can print that info on the top, middle or center. So my impassioned question (and something that will bring more macs on site) is there an easy and customizable way to create a banner page in OS 10.3? If so, can you submit a photo or photos of the options? Thanks (if they add it, we'll get another dozen macs easily).

***(And yes, I know it is available via the underlying print engine, but you still have to make a custom sheet for each user, nothing automatic)
post #175 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
How do those ColorSync filters work, or rather, what the hell are they there for?

At the 1:04:00 mark of the QuickTime State-of-the-Union Presentation, Tim Schaff (VP, Interactive Media Group) explains it.

Essentially, QuickTime in Panther has modified the image (TIFF, JPEG, etc) importers/exporters so that color fidelity is maintained when that image is opened in various apps (Photoshop, BBEdit were the examples given) or by various devices (digital still cameras, scanners, video, etc.). While not a pro concern, since most pros stress color uniformity, this was applied so consumers wouldn't have to deal with color correcting (the implication's that most consumers are unaware of the problem, but Apple feels it's important for the experience). The correcting (via tagged ICC profies in QT or applying one when none is present) happens in the background, so no one know the difference.

I hope I haven't butchered the explanation; I'm a layman in all of this. Actually, after looking at the screen-shots, the user can fine tune quite a bit or just let pre-set profiles reign

At the 54:30:00 mark or so is a more in-depth explanation of Pixlet.

At the 47:00:00 mark is an explantion and demo for QTSS Publisher--pretty cool.
post #176 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by cygsid

[*]does iTunes still consume an abnormally high amount of CPU (15-20% on my 700 Mhz iBook)?

This is not an OS bug. This is an iTunes problem. The scrolling text in the songname window seems to eat a lot of CPU. If you want to reduce CPU usage, resize the window with the green button, then make it as small as possible with the resize handle so that the songname window disappears. No more scrolling text; therefore, less CPU use. (Closing the songname window or hiding it with command-H will not solve the problem, unfortunately. Apparently the program is still doing the scrolling calculations.)

Quote:
[*]does Word still consume 15-20% CPU in the background, seemingly doing nothing?

Again, this is not an OS problem. Here's a simplified explanation: In OS 9, an app must constantly ask the OS whether it has been asked to do anything. In OS X, the OS tells an app when it's needed; no need to "ask". This is true for both Cocoa and Carbon apps in OS X - but for Carbon, it's only true if the app has implemented the "Carbon Events" model. Poorly Carbonized apps that are still structured OS 9-style will still constantly ask the OS whether they're needed, and will eat processor time constantly polling the OS instead of waiting. This is the case with Word and many other Carbonized apps. Thus, Word uses CPU when it's doing nothing.
post #177 of 553
i REALLY like the new QT look! the light metal contrasting with the dark...it looks really good i think. I wish i liked the metal finder more but i guess i can get used to it

i also would like to thank u brad...ur the man
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #178 of 553
Thanks, ScottiB, it's all Greek to me. Sounds like this feature was made for me.
post #179 of 553
I must say that I find the UI in Panther MUCH faster in many regards over Jaguar.

Sheets come up much faster, menus are instant, Exposé is WICKED (just wished there were more trigger options).

I'm torn on the Finder metal skin though...

Networking needs to be improved (My Linux machine running AppleTalk won't show but the SMB seems fine).

Mail is MUCH better now and the Help Viewer is like glass!!! Smooth and fast.
post #180 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
Check this out though: if you Command-Tab, it no longer uses the Dock! All the icons for all the open apps pop up in the middle of the screen, can you can choose them by Command-tabbing or with your mouse! That's great! [/B]

As a rule, I don't really do one-word/emoticon responses, but...

!!! !!!
post #181 of 553
Anyone can post details / screenshots of XCode nd IB, please.
post #182 of 553
Oh man, I think we're going to have a real winner on our hands here.

I'm a total OS X freak and I love (almost) every bit of it. Seeing these screen shots has me very excited for what the future holds for Panther.

I really like the new look and operation of the Finder. Personally, I like the brushed metal look, although I'm not sure how I feel about the further mixing of brushed metal and Aqua. Perhaps after I actually see Panther in action, I'll not have any problems with it. However I will say the new Finder looks fantastic.

The Finder has been one of my biggest complaints with OS X. It just feels like I have to dig deep through folders anytime I want to access something. I have a feeling Panther is going to correct a lot of that.

*sigh* I can't wait for <sometime before the end of the year>!

It's a great time to be a Mac user.

DDJ
post #183 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Oh ick, no.

MacOS X has a perfectly good Notification Manager system built in (or three), and it is strictly the Finder's fault if it isn't listening for file system updates. Putting in a lame hack to force the user to kick it in the ass when it gets brain dead because it was poorly designed is *NOT* acceptable... because that isn't the case here. The underlying design is fine, the Finder is broken. No need for a nasty hack.

Sure, automatic updating like the Finder is supposed to do would be great, but since it hasn't worked correctly since 10.0 the problem is either a tough nut to crack, or a strangely low priority.

Even if Apple fixes the bugs related to automatic updating of Finder windows, I'd imagine that in some cases, like viewing your iDisk or an FTP server, that there's no protocol for automatically informing your computer about changes on a remote file system made by someone else accessing those same files. The only was around this kind of problem would be regular directory polling, something that you wouldn't want to do too frequently -- making a Refresh command for Finder windows useful for when you don't want to wait for the next directory poll to take place.

At any rate... I'd still like to know from someone playing with Pather if they've seen any evidence that the new Finder is doing any better at keeping desktop icons, file info, and file sorting in open Finder windows properly up-to-date.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #184 of 553
Well I can say that so far limited Finder testing has shown that copying files into another folder shows them immediatly. I haven't had to fresh anything yet!

Playing around with the other apps shows an amazing amount of tweaks. Take the Terminal for example, look into the Windows settings Apple has provided a number of default colour options (green on black, white on blue, etc), using a picture as the background!, keyboard actions (assign a command to a keystroke), connecting to a server using different protocols! and MUCH more. Terminal geeks will rejoice for sure

The UI in Panther has updated considerably. For example anything with a tab interface now has simple buttons and grouping "boxes" have a slight inset look rather than simple outlines.

Also, Apple is working quite clearly on subduing the Aqua pinstripes into something more like the current hardware (aluminum). This change I really like. Pinstripes are so 1998 vintage iMac....

Here's a sample :

Jaguar UI:
http://216.138.203.179/images/JaguarUI.jpg

PantherUI:
http://216.138.203.179/images/PantherUI.jpg
post #185 of 553
I don't get why they're going away from tabs. Sure, it's not that much more visual feedback, but why take it out? What was wrong with showing the extra tie-in between the button and the panel?
post #186 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by C47
Well I can say that so far limited Finder testing has shown that copying files into another folder shows them immediatly. I haven't had to fresh anything yet!

If you're talking about simply dragging files around in the Finder, there's never been (that I recall) a problem with that.

The problem I'm ranting about is regarding such things as having an open Finder window, and saving a new document into it from an app other than the Finder, or when you're looking at a shared volume and a new file is put there by someone else. The new stuff that should be appearing doesn't appear until coaxed by a bit of direct clicking. Saving to the desktop from other apps also can be a problem, where you won't see the file on the desktop until you click somewhere on the desktop.

The worst case of this kind of thing I've seen is with list views sorted by date. If you've left such a Finder window open while changing files you simply can't trust what you're seeing until you click on each and every file in the list, or close the window and open a new one. Reusing the same window doesn't help (say going up a level then back down), nor does hiding and re-exposing hierarchical file lists. The modification dates show in a Finder window will be obstinantly stuck until you directly click on each file. This is very bad if what you're trying to do is select the files you've just modified.
post #187 of 553
Looks like the new Finder is kick ass. Treated as an 'iapp'?

I like the go-slower pin-stripes and the soft grey gradient...

Love the iTunes style 'Finder'. Much more user centric. iTunes. One of the simplest and best user interfaces. Easy. Hope Panther is as easy.

Like the icon view with toolbar off. Gasp...OS 9 returns from grave!?

Guess those OS9 folks had to go somewhere? Perhaps they are turning the Next core into the real Mac OS Jewel.

It's no accident to me that this OS is a mix of Next, Mac OS and Windows Xp.

Personally, I liked the tab functionality to change an App. Very useful when you are doing PDF tutorials. (I often have to flick back quickly on 3D tutorials!!!)

There are elements in X that behave like XP. Well, they stole and we counter stole and made it better. M$ had it coming. Don't rub Apple's rhubarb! The next tech' is in there. They hired the guy formerly of BEOS?

Seems it's all coming together. More nice iapps...but there seems to be alot more of the 'next gen' user spit and polish that you'd expect a next gen' Mac Finder to have that kicks ass. eg 'Expose.' That is cool. That's the kinda stuff I was hopin' would be in Panther. Seems utterly Mac...fast...looks simple to use...

Would like to see those 'pile' files...and more Dock functionality/flexibility.

I was quite impressed with what Steve Jobs had to show of Panther. It is really coming together. It should fly with a dual G5 when it's all finished. Looks great...and it aint finished yet...

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #188 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by C47
PantherUI:
http://216.138.203.179/images/PantherUI.jpg

Just a note about Network. When you configure your Ethernet settings, you can choose if you wan't the computer to auto negotiate or let it run 10MBit or 100Mbit, half duplex or full duplex, and you can even use Jumbo frames.
JLL

JLL

post #189 of 553
I just played around in Panther a bit, and have to say that the metal Finder is indeed VERY (yes, VERY) ugly. I hope the final release will bring a lot of improvements. My god, did I say that it was ugly? Anyway, Panther (notably Expose) runs smoother than something that runs real smooth on my ibook 600 (and that is off of an iPod!).
post #190 of 553
Just thought I'd report in on performance:

Sawtooth G4 400
256 RAM
10 Gig 7200 Quantum Fireball
16mb Rage 128

This developer version of Panther, screams on this puppy. Typing is faster, the finder (although not great UI wise, my opinion) screams, thread management seems much much better, windows open faster, and the UI is so much more responsive (not to mention better looking, minus the the removal of tabs and the new finder). Expose works very well, and should work great with Quartz Extreme (I don't have that capability).

I feel like I have a new computer. Panther gets close to Mac OS 9 in terms of response times and performance UI wise. For all you Sawtooth users out there...you don't have to upgrade your machine yet...Panther really breathes new life into it.

No beach balls yet. This is a great developer preview and no doubt the finalized version will be even faster.

For those naysayers, althougth I don't like brushed metal in the finder, it isn't that bad and it makes up for itself in speed...a simple "aqua" option should satisfy all of us.

Wonderful job Apple, just keep listening to your users regarding the UI.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor." -Thoreau

Picture Page
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor." -Thoreau

Picture Page
post #191 of 553
I'm with C47 (his comparison screens are a perfect example)...I think Jaguar looks almost tacky / clunky compared to Panther. Just MO of course but....
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #192 of 553
I looked through this thread but couldn't find if anyone has mentioned the following.

In addition to faxing it seems that Panther can act as a fax SERVER!!!

http://homepage.mac.com/dscottbuch/Fax_Server.jpg
post #193 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
Love the iTunes style 'Finder'. Much more user centric.

I don't like the new style and I certainly don't want the Finder to be "user centric", but that's probably just me (how can you call it "user centric" anyway, when remote sessions are not even possible?). I hope it will be possible to just turn off the left frame, that would at least give me the possibility to have a Jaguar like Finder. (BTW, if you have two volumes with the same name, one of them is being ignored.)

However, the main problem with the new Finder is resizing, we're finally back at speeds we only remember from the 10.0 days (ok, I still have a G4 733). During resizing, the Finder consumes over 65% of the available processing power, everything that is left is being used by the WindowServer. Since this is even the case if none of the panels have to be re-rendered (also no scaling, just clipping), this is totally inacceptable and I really wonder how bad programmers have to be to come up with such a bad implementation.
As much as I am impressed by Exposé (has anyone been able to figure out how the algorithm works?) etc., the new Finder windows suck big time.
post #194 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
If you're talking about simply dragging files around in the Finder, there's never been (that I recall) a problem with that.

The problem I'm ranting about is regarding such things as having an open Finder window, and saving a new document into it from an app other than the Finder

You have to activate the target window, then the file will become visible (just as in Jaguar).

Also a bit disappointing: moving windows around still uses lots of processing power, I don't really know why... However, I have to say that the overall responsiveness/speed really has been improved dramatically. It's just resizing (without much rendering) and movement that use too much resources in my opinion.
post #195 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by HoofHearted
That OS9 feeling

Open a finder window, go to icon view and click the topright window widget, and suddenly you're in OS9 mode. [/B]

They even made it so much like OS 9 that you can't even drag the window around if the click in the title bar is too low (where the number of items and free disk space is written, however, I haven't used OS 9 for months, so I'm not sure if it's just a bug in Panther or if this is really OS 9 like behaviour).
post #196 of 553
Some other stuff of note in Panther:

Perl is at 5.8.1 now (Yeah!!)
MS Active Directory support (no alteration of the AD server required or strange hacks).
Software Update can be called from the Apple Menu
Print Center renamed to Printer Setup Utility
Multiple .PKG installs ability from a single Installer App launch!
HUGE improvements to Console.app (email logs, look at all sort of other log files.
System Profiler is much nicer
Apps launch MUCH quicker
Font Book actually works as advertized. (I needed Verdana for use in Safari and double clicked on the font from another partition to install it while the Safari prefs were opened and it just plain appeared.)
Apple Remote Desktop seems to be installed by default
IE is NOWHERE to be found (AMEN)
Apple has still not improved on the Text to Speech voices. Still using the same old System 7.5 voices. I was hoping for the AT&T stuff...

I also noticed that doing a clean install and erasing a hard drive selects HFS+ Journaled by default now (UFS is the only other type available).

I'm still poking around but so much has changed its nice to see them working so hard. My money is ready for this upgrade (albeit I have a dual G5 on order so I expect to get a free or nomimal upgrade price)

More to follow as I find stuff...
post #197 of 553
Yea, I've got to say, what's really nice about this release is the spit and polish of it. Every iteration of the OS feels so much cleaner than the previous. It's literally the anti-Microsoft: instead of adding bloat and slowing stuff down, Apple is literally adding features and speeding things up. It's amazing.
post #198 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by C47
Some other stuff of note in Panther:
Apple Remote Desktop seems to be installed by default
IE is NOWHERE to be found (AMEN)

???

My Panther installed IE (promptly deleted by me), and I don't see any Remote Desktop on my system.

Did you do a clean install or something else?

Acrobat wasn't installed either.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #199 of 553
I think someone asked the question, but I haven't seen an answer...Does FTP in Finder finally work as it should (or as most people think it should). That is, can you copy to an FTP server in FInder as opposed to just from. This would be a huge asset for me.
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
post #200 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by SledgeHammer
I think someone asked the question, but I haven't seen an answer...Does FTP in Finder finally work as it should (or as most people think it should). That is, can you copy to an FTP server in FInder as opposed to just from. This would be a huge asset for me.

No
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)