or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider) - Page 6

post #201 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Barto
???

My Panther installed IE (promptly deleted by me), and I don't see any Remote Desktop on my system.

Did you do a clean install or something else?

Acrobat wasn't installed either.

Barto

IE was installed with the second CD. Sorry, I didn't do the second CD the first time around. Oh well.

As for Apple Remote Desktop, have a look under Sharing in the System Prefs. Its the client version but its there!

Man, I can't get over how much faster some stuff is now. Those little sheets just zoom in and out. Exposé is the killer feature if you ask me.
iCal launches right now and I'm testing this on my 600Mhz iBook. I'm looking forward to seeing how fast this whole thing is on a new dual G5.

*Giddy with anticipation*
post #202 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by philrobin
-In Image capture there is a share menu that allows you to share a Capture device, there is a "enable web share" but did not figure out what it was.

Apple Panther did make note of this.
post #203 of 553
How about the bug that hits me really often... the one in List view where you create a new folder, and the name isn't automatically highlighted to be renamed? Have they fixed that darned hangover from 10.0?
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #204 of 553
Quote:
Anybody know how this could be?

Debug code.

Quote:
No on the dragging and dropping to a folder within a folder in the Dock.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Are window borders draggable? Sometimes I get screwed when let's say Uplink behaves badly by changing res and if Stickies is open I quit Uplink and the Stickies notes are all mostly off screen and I have to Select All and copy the info into new notes. So can we drag windows by borders?
---
Not that I can see. OS X windows do not have borders. Only the corner is draggable.

Quote:
Obligatory nag: is there Save and Shutdown aka Hibernate to save RAM contents to disk and shut down?

Nope

I'm going to cry. Seriously Panther is awesome but these would be sooooo easy to add and be awesome! Who knows why SMB crashes so much but dragging folders into Dock submenus, Save and Shutdown, and draggable window borders have to be easy to add? Come on Apple! I'll email them.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #205 of 553
dp
post #206 of 553
Brad thanks for the pics.

Quote:
How about the bug that hits me really often... the one in List view where you create a new folder, and the name isn't automatically highlighted to be renamed? Have they fixed that darned hangover from 10.0?

Ah yes I noticed that too, I bet it's fixed. Remember how long that disappearing cursor thing while renaming files took to fix!
post #207 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman

Unfortunately not.

Press Shift-Command-n, an untitled folder appears that is not editable, then you have to wait a moment before you can hit the return key to make it editable. If you press return too early, you can edit the name for a fraction of a second before the field turns static again. I really don't like it and never did in Jaguar either.
post #208 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac
How much processing utilization do you consider "lots?" Quickly dragging a window around on my iBook (with Jaguar) takes around 30-34% of the CPU. I've never had a problem with window dragging -- it's always been great in OS X.

Yes, it looks good and it is fast but 35% cpu is far too much as everything should be done on the gpu. It's probably the drop shadow... I don't know.
post #209 of 553
hallelujah, seperators in (apple) menu
still, no seperators in listview though, i know it's very os9, but i liked the seperators between the folders and miss them in osX
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #210 of 553
When will Panther ship on new systems..particularly, the powerbooks?

Thanks
PB 17" 1.67Ghz
1.5 GB/ 100GB
Dell 2405FPW
PB 17" 1.67Ghz
1.5 GB/ 100GB
Dell 2405FPW
post #211 of 553
When it is already available to the public, not before. Ergo, we don't know the exact answer to that. Sometime between October and December 1 would be my guess. Once it ships, it will be at least a couple weeks before boxed computers start showing up on store shelves with Panther. There is always a lag time with that sort of thing.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #212 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakee

Thanks

When it's released.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #213 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by philrobin
"Remote device" in iSync :

As I said the menu is greyed, so cannot test...

But I suppose this is for OTA (Over The Air).

Imagine you mac is connected on an always on connection, at home... then you have one of these nice Palm with wireless network... you are in the street and you sync with your mac at home...

That is just a guess, but I have seen a previous rumour that mentioned OTA syncing.

Here's my request.

There is excellent evidence OTA is on the way.

Can someone delve into the sync framework or iSync.app to find traces of the name of the server at .mac that's going to be taking care of this?

It'll be in the /system/components/syncservices (maybe).
meh
meh
post #214 of 553
I don't think I've noticed any comments about iCal. Has this app been updated as yet or no? There are some really basic features they need to add to that application, which, I'll be genuinely disappointed if they don't address.

Talking about things like being able to take multi-hour or multi-day events and visually split them up so that "gap events" can be scheduled and accounted for. Also the inspector palette would be more useful as a toolbar I think; gets in the way of certain view types. I'm pretty sure we'll see some kind of update; I just hope it arrives with (and not after) Panther.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #215 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakee

Thanks

In about six months. It isn't even nearly finished.
post #216 of 553
I suspect it should be available a bit sooner than six months. I mean, if it's not well-baked they won't release it but you'd think they'd want it on store shelves by December 1 for the gift-buying season. No?
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #217 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
no seperators in listview though, i know it's very os9, but i liked the seperators between the folders and miss them in osX

That's actually a good idea. If they want to go metal, they should indeed take a hint from iTunes (and other apps) for the list view, with alternating blue-white patterning. That might be one thing to make me stomach that new finder better, not that they should cater the system to my needs only, but hey...
post #218 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
I suspect it should be available a bit sooner than six months. I mean, if it's not well-baked they won't release it but you'd think they'd want it on store shelves by December 1 for the gift-buying season. No?

my prediction: it will be on sale by the friday after thanksgiving, the biggest shopping day of the year...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #219 of 553
This is pretty cool, you can show the status of classic in the menu bar.

Classic is not running...

Classic starting...

Classic running...

Odd classic alert...

Classic Menu...

post #220 of 553
What about PDF compression options? I love the print to PDF option in OS X but would like the option of making the PDF's smaller.
post #221 of 553
Is scheduled wake-from-sleep in 10.3?

Has there been any effort made to make the graphite theme more universal? Ever since Apple started to make all their own custom widgets, they seem to be relegating graphite to second class.
post #222 of 553
I just took Panther for a test drive, and I thought I'd throw my comments into the mix. Several things impress me:

I love the speed improvements. In 10.2, I have my Apps folder in my dock, which has about 120 items, and it takes over 8 seconds to open the first time, and two seconds for subsequent times (I just timed it). Just for kicks in Panther, I put a folder in the dock that has 300 items in it, and it was almost instantaneous to open the first time! And sheets finally move at the speed they should. Things feel, well, Snappier

Exposé, and Fast user switching are great UI tricks... both aesthetically and functionally.

Some one was asking about Fast User switching and the background tasks. I tried copying a large file under one user name, and quickly switched users. The copying continued, but I have no idea what kind of speed hit it took. I guess I should have checked the activity monitor to see how it was doing. Oh well.

For some reason, on the machine I tried out, all the icons were messed up. No folder icons appeared anywhere (it was just transparent icons - you couldn't even click on them, you needed to click on the words). So, it was hard to gauge how I liked the new Finder since it wasn't working correctly. Of course, it is a beta *cough* alpha *cough*.
post #223 of 553
From the screenies, thx guys, the toning down of the lines has really really brought out the quality in the fonts on screen in the menu bars etc
post #224 of 553
Quote:

Here here! Another OS 9 feature that is sorely missing.

Quote:
Unfortunately not.

Press Shift-Command-n, an untitled folder appears that is not editable, then you have to wait a moment before you can hit the return key to make it editable. If you press return too early, you can edit the name for a fraction of a second before the field turns static again. I really don't like it and never did in Jaguar either.

WTF. And gar about the line separators, I know what you mean! I might like the blue and white patterning. It makes iTunes look so yummy. It's just nice looking. Maybe in General as an OPTION....

bauman that's good to hear! That wait in the Dock folders drives me nutssssssss. I had to rearrange lots of things in subfolders in my Applications folder because of it. You should see how long my utilities folder takes to open! Sheesh! Also good to hear about sheets.
post #225 of 553
Quote:
I think someone asked the question, but I haven't seen an answer...Does FTP in Finder finally work as it should (or as most people think it should). That is, can you copy to an FTP server in FInder as opposed to just from. This would be a huge asset for me.

No.

That sucks.

I'm still more excited about Panther than anything else except maybe iChat AV. HOLY CRAP THIS WAS BEST KEYNOTE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to download it so bad because I only so 20% of it! They should put the keynote and their Software Updates on BitTorrent now that I think about it. If anyone Exports it in QT let me know if I can download it from you.

One thing I have not seen mentioned: battery life. Is it better? OS X still eats batteries for breakfast and if they're not going to add Save and Shutdown (pleeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!) then I wonder if it still sucks battery in use and in sleep.
post #226 of 553
Here's a surprise: They re-did the AppleScript Editor interface. It's finally up to par with OS X standards

Here's a screenie:
post #227 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by foad
Not that I can see. OS X windows do not have borders. Only the corner is draggable.

Brushed Metal apps _do_ have window borders (except Safari - yet another inconsistency). And they're draggable. Finder windows are draggable by window borders.

Concerning removing BM look in Finder: There's no key to that in the plist-file and no nib-file contains a 'main window'. So: A hard time... :/ Hopefully, Apple gives us a choice... *sigh*
post #228 of 553
Many many thanks to Brad (pimpin' !) and everybody else who submitted screenshots. thank you very much!
post #229 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by failedmathematician

Could it be in here somewhere?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...eferences4.png
post #230 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs
I don't think I've noticed any comments about iCal. Has this app been updated as yet or no?

I was thinking about that, and Sherlock as well, which could really use a lot of work. I have a feeling that those are on a different track than the OS, and they may come out with new versions before or after Panther.

I'd like to see Sherlock compete better with Watson. Right now there's just no comparison. On the other hand, it's good to see Apple get killed on it after copying them.
post #231 of 553
Can Apple Panther or Bioflavonoid tell me what start up looks like? Is it the same "Grey screen with dark grey apple and little rotating thingy", or has it changed?
post #232 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Can Apple Panther or Bioflavonoid tell me what start up looks like? Is it the same "Grey screen with dark grey apple and little rotating thingy", or has it changed?

Startup is identical to 10.2, only a smidge faster. Shut down / Restart, however is slightly different. It closes all your windows, dock and menubar, and then fades your desktop and displays the little rotating thingy.

Logging in and out isn't quite graceful from a GUI perspective yet... it flashes a completely black screen between your desktop and the login panel. It's kind of shocking. I'm sure it will be fixed before GM... I can't imagine it would be too hard.
post #233 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by LudwigVan
Could it be in here somewhere?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...eferences4.png

Click next to Shutdown and I believe one of the options is Sleep and/or Wake from Sleep. Not sure, as Panther is on my box at work.
post #234 of 553
I wish that Apple would bring back that smling Mac. maybe an Imac instead, portrayed in a minimalist style only grey lines).
post #235 of 553
I started a new thread but i propably should've ask here first, Does any one remember from the keynote Steve mentioning that one of the new 100 thing in panther were the inclusion of Linux API? i wanted to know if this was apple doing or the result of updating to FreeBSD 5.0?
"I came, I saw, I left"
"I came, I saw, I left"
post #236 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by C47

Software Update can be called from the Apple Menu

This is a nice (and obvious) feature.

Some questions:

- Does AddressBook print envelopes AS WELL as labels? Please Apple! Please Apple!
- CD session burning?
- Does the new Finder automagically (via Rendevous or whatever) "find" public shared folders of other users on other machines and mount/connect to them?

Some things I hope make it into the final Panther:

- The "Services" menu in the Finder context menu(s). Though this might not make as much sens in the new Finder.
- Configurable (disable/enable) Services in the Services menu.
- Direct support for zip/unzip and tar-gz/untar-ungz directly in the Finder.
- Trash can on the desktop.
- a "copy path name" feature in the Finder, where if I have a file selected, I could get a string representation of the pathname to the file to paste into some place if I need to.
post #237 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

- Trash can on the desktop.

With folder actions in Panther, I'm guessing that you should be able to emulate this kind of functionality regardless. (That is, put a folder on the desktop, copy the trash icon to it, and set up a folder action to move the file into the trash.)

EDIT: Well, ok, that won't be quite like having a full-blown trash on the desktop since you won't be able to actually view the trash contents from there, but it's pretty close.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

- a "copy path name" feature in the Finder, where if I have a file selected, I could get a string representation of the pathname to the file to paste into some place if I need to.

You can already do that! Cmd-c
post #238 of 553
Any screenshots of (or info regarding) the code completion feature in Xcode?
post #239 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Josef K.
You can already do that! Cmd-c

I only get the last file name in the path, not the complete file.
post #240 of 553
Quote:
Any screenshots of (or info regarding) the code completion feature in Xcode

I wonder if it has extra-powerful debug code!

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)