or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider) - Page 8

post #281 of 553
Hey Brad,
When you're doing Mail, can you do a screenshot of the prefs screen that shows the kind of notifications that Mail provides when you get an email? I use Entourage and have scripted actions when I get mail from certain senders. I'm particularly interested in playing ANY sound I desire when I get mail from certain people.

Ta!
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon @ drewprops.com
Oldest Member of AI (Jan 99) until JRC snaps to his senses and starts posting again. (the blackout borked my join date)
post #282 of 553
One quick reminder to people new to this thread:

See page 3 for a detailed list of screenshots.

Quote:
Originally posted by drewprops
I'm particularly interested in playing ANY sound I desire when I get mail from certain people.

You already can. It's just that the sound needs to be in one of the Library/Sounds folders. For the longest time I used a clip from TNG of Worf saying, "Captain... incoming message." I'll examine the prefs anyway, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
The question is: why would you add files or folders in the toolbar as opposed to the sidebar? The lack of ability to do this is probably a function of the (now proper) CFToolbar. I like how Panther clearly differentiates the locations from the tools in the Finder.

Agreed. I actually do prefer keeping my aliases on the left rather than above. I was just trying to point out that the functionality is indeed gone.
post #283 of 553
Do you folks that were talking about Jaguar's screen lock on page 7 or so, realize that -any- valid username and password will unlock the screensaver/screenlock and let you onto the system?

I mean if you are Jane Doe and lock your screen, Fred Smith can come along (if he's a user on that Mac) and type his info in and get on, seeing all her apps and opened docs and all folders.

Obviously any hands on hacker can bypass security but should not the system at least try to prevent this? Of what use then is locking users out of seeing the contents of other user folders from casual snooping?

Just wait until she goes to lunch, she think's she's reasonably secure, you can email her boss "I quit" and chat with her husband "I want a divorce", and buy 125 new albums on iTunes, then when done just activate screensaver/lock again. See? That's unacceptable.

It should prohibit unlocking the screen unless it's the active user's account. And admins should get a logout button for the password screen but not see open apps/files.

Now to bring this on topic, is this fixed in Panther?

Does using any valid username and password for that system bypass the screenlock and display the previous (current, i.e. screenlock intitator's) user's stuff?
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #284 of 553
Are you able to send/receive faxes if your phoneline is connected to an airport [extreme] basestation ???

or does it have to be direct to your computer?

post #285 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
You already can. It's just that the sound needs to be in one of the Library/Sounds folders. For the longest time I used a clip from TNG of Worf saying, "Captain... incoming message." I'll examine the prefs anyway, though.

I believe he meant having sound A play for mail incoming from person 1, sound B for person 2, etc, etc.

Which of course you can do with Rules, right now...

Set up a rule that triggers on the From field, with that person's email (or name).

Have it play a sound you pick from the list.

Voila.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #286 of 553
Okay this is minor stuff, but we're into 10.3 and we still can't make the scroll bar (the blue thing on the right side of any window) look smooth?

It still has this tiled appearance which looks unfinished or cheap.
BTW, can one finally change the font size/type of the menu bar in Panther?
post #287 of 553
Like BuonRotto, I'd love to see the Cocoa Font & Color Panels too, if there's any additions.
post #288 of 553
[dp]
post #289 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
Okay this is minor stuff, but we're into 10.3 and we still can't make the scroll bar (the blue thing on the right side of any window) look smooth?

It still has this tiled appearance which looks unfinished or cheap.

That is definitely an intentional effect.

Notice how the bright/dark spots don't move when scrolled. It's not a case of them using an incorrectly tiled image for the tiling. That's them having fun with alpha transparency, obstensibly to indicate feedback to the user that the scrollbar is moving (If I were to guess at a reason aside from cheap Aqua tricks)...
post #290 of 553
So the Network Utility is still:

Info
Ping
Netstat
Lookup
Traceroute
Whois
Finger and
Port Scan?

I guess too that the tabs must be gone in favor of the new tab button thingies. That will be a nice improvement to that app.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #291 of 553
Are these damn little "hacks" like TinkerTook and TransparentDock and CockTail still necessary to access BASIC stuff that should be in General? Like arrows on both ends of the scroll bar, controlling AA text, menu text size, and Dock stuff? I mean ****in A man, ****in A. Why can't they just add the options for arrows at both ends into General Prefs, if the option is ALREADY THERE but just hidden. Menu Master would nice to integrate but I can't ever see Apple doing that. But the only ONLY reason I installed Menu Master was to make new folders with Cmd-N!!!!!!! Hello we make new folders more than opening the home folder! An alias takes care of that! Goddamn. And Cmd-H in Photoshop is nice too. This whole Finder as a "Browser" or "Explorer" if you will is retarded.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #292 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakee
I checked out the link, and it looks like it should work with Win 2000 server. I am calling my IT guy this AM to see what he says. Thanks!!

Beeke, Panther can do both PPTP and IPSEC VPN connections in the Internet Connection app.

You'll be able to VPN to either Windows 2000 or industry standard VPN systems no problem!

Tell your IT guy "we can do that".

Things a looking good here for road warriors.
post #293 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
damn ****in A man, ****in A. !!!!!!! Goddamn. retarded.

must take Valium.
post #294 of 553
Quote:
...rant...

Why can't they just add the options for arrows at both ends into General Prefs, if the option is ALREADY THERE but just hidden.

...rant...

That is in the General Prefs pane, I was happy to find that myself. It was the only reason I had TinkerTool installed on my Jag system.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #295 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
That is in the General Prefs pane, I was happy to find that myself. It was the only reason I had TinkerTool installed on my Jag system.

There is no General Prefs in Panther. There is an Appearance pane, but it does not have an option to put BOTH scroll arrows at BOTH ends. You choose either both at one end, or one at each end.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #296 of 553
Quote:

????

http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/.Public/appear.png
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #297 of 553
Quote:

What? Not in my build of Panther.

Anyhow, I just took a bunch of pics. I'll post 'em tomorrow -- too tired to fool with it now.
post #298 of 553
Anyone...

In the new threading options in Mail, does it thread your replies that are now in the sent folder?

Anyone want to show some screenshots?

How about screenshots of the new junk filter preferences? Or all preferences in Mail.app?

BZ
post #299 of 553
A request that I have for Panther: a contextual menu for pictures specifically that allows you to "set as desktop" from within the finder. Like Windows has... It would come in very handy for me, and for many others, I reckon, who often change their desktops.
post #300 of 553
Quote:
And Cmd-H in Photoshop is nice too.

Is that sentence in any way releated to the rest of the post?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #301 of 553
Ask and ye shall receive.

Assorted Goods

Cocoa Font Panel
Force Quit note the updated "not responding" part
iDisk question pops up after entering iDisk info in System Prefs
FontBook's new icon

ColorSync Utility

It looks like the interface has gotten a nice update with a proper toolbar and two new panes.

ColorSync Utility - About Box
ColorSync Utility - First Aid
ColorSync Utility - Devices
ColorSync Utility - Filters, Color
ColorSync Utility - Filters, defaults
ColorSync Utility - Filters, domains
ColorSync Utility - Filters, images
ColorSync Utility - Preferences
ColorSync Utility - Profile

Finder

Finder - Connect To Server The Browse button takes you to a regular Finder window with the Network selected. Available servers are listed there as regular icons.
Finder - browsing a server
Finder - "Get Info" on the FTP Server Still can't write to the server.
Finder - new server icon

Mail

Mail - About Box
Mail - New Viewer
Mail - New Viewer, customize toolbar
Mail - Preferences, general
Mail - Preferences, general, sound menu
Mail - Preferences, junk
Mail - Preferences, junk, advanced
Mail - Preferences, signatures
Mail - Preferences, viewing

System Preferences

System Preferences - Exposé
System Preferences - International, input menu
System Preferences - International, input menu, options finally no more OS8-style graphics!
System Preferences - Print & Fax, fax
System Preferences - Network, status
System Preferences - Network, TCP/IP
System Preferences - Network, TCP/IP, config IPv6 auto
System Preferences - Network, TCP/IP, config IPv6 manual
System Preferences - Network, proxies
System Preferences - Network, ethernet, automatic
System Preferences - Network, ethernet, manual
post #302 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Do you folks that were talking about Jaguar's screen lock on page 7 or so, realize that -any- valid username and password will unlock the screensaver/screenlock and let you onto the system?

I mean if you are Jane Doe and lock your screen, Fred Smith can come along (if he's a user on that Mac) and type his info in and get on, seeing all her apps and opened docs and all folders.

I just tried the suggested screen lock under 10.2.6 and it cannot be bypassed by another valid user on the same machine.
post #303 of 553
Hwy now, what's that thar "Typography" thingy in the Cocoa Font panel? Glad to see they added a resizing knob to the font preview too.
post #304 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
I just tried the suggested screen lock under 10.2.6 and it cannot be bypassed by another valid user on the same machine.

Same on 10.3.

You can get out of it if the user you input is an administrator. You can NOT get out of it if it's just a regular user. That's how it *should* be, IMO.
post #305 of 553
Indeed. Admins should be able to override a screen lock.
post #306 of 553
Good call der Kopf. Thanks brad. JLL press Cmd H in Photoshop. It doesn't hide. That's what I meant, it would be nice to be able to change shortcuts. How does one do this manually in OS X, w/o MenuMaster? I remember how to in ResEdit but I haven't played much in Interface Builder.
post #307 of 553
Quote:
JLL press Cmd H in Photoshop. It doesn't hide. That's what I meant, it would be nice to be able to change shortcuts. How does one do this manually in OS X, w/o MenuMaster?

Photoshop -> Preferences -> General -> Use System Shortcut Keys
JLL

JLL

post #308 of 553
Are any of you who are playing with Panther demos in a position to submit bug reports?

If so, I hope you hammer Apple with bug reports for not only new bugs in new features, but for lingering bugs too -- I have in mind some pet peeve Finder issues, in fact.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #309 of 553
I hope Brad or someone can answer two things for me about Panther.....

First can you make use of the Function Keys to set them to open apps and move that app to the front when you press it's Function Key?

And with the new thing where you can set keyboard key combos can you make the finder work like it used to when you make a new folder? now in 10.2 if you do command n in the finder it make a new window....which is a joke....can we sent it to make a new folder now? i also see that you can open .dmg files in the finder now which is nice but where can you make your own now?

Also if anyone can....can you tell me if dial up is more reliable in Panther as right now in jag dial up users get disconnected alto by the OS...and yes it is the OS as the ISP's have been tested on other set ups like PC's and external modems and work fine....under Mac OS X it's always disconnecting for no reason.

I Hope people can fill in my questions.

Frank_t
post #310 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
There is no General Prefs in Panther. There is an Appearance pane, but it does not have an option to put BOTH scroll arrows at BOTH ends. You choose either both at one end, or one at each end.

Apologies. Profuse apologies. I'm running (and was running) Jag at the moment, and so I couldn't go and check where it was. I thought he was talking about one arrow at top and bottom. My fault
post #311 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by beigean
In response to using the Finder the Classic way, this version of the Finder looks closer to the old way (when the button on the right is pushed) AND, get this, it even REMEMBERS window positions like OS 9 used to!! This new Finder feels and reacts like a souped up Classic version (only with Brushed Metal instead of Platinum). Good news for some of you! The spatial Finder is back if you want it to be!

Okay, I've read the many threads on Panther, and haven't really grasped this issue. When you say "the spatial Finder is back," do you mean a return to the 1-to-1 relationship between windows and folders? When you double-click a folder, and a window opens, is that folder then grayed-out so you can tell that the folder is already open? That's what the "spatial Finder" means to me.

Can somebody try this and post a screenshot? Like I said, I've been through lots of threads on this, and not a shot of such an example could be found. Thanks!
post #312 of 553
Is there an option to turn off showing stuff on the desktop in the Finder preferences?
post #313 of 553
Yes, the Finder prefs are verbatim what they in Jaguar right now.
post #314 of 553
Can anyone answer my questions? Please.

Frank_t
post #315 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by frank_t
now in 10.2 if you do command n in the finder it make a new window....which is a joke....can we sent it to make a new folder now?

You can make a new folder in the finder with cmd-shift-n in Jaguar, this is the same in Panther. Are you asking about remapping the keyboard shortcut?
What the problem is?
What the problem is?
post #316 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Oh, and one little thing from page 3 that I never got around to addressing:
This is not correct. I removed the flexible space and I *still* can't add regular files and folders to the toolbar. Care to point out anything I might be missing?

Do this:

Open two Finder windows, and Customize Toolbar in one of them. Take whatever you want from the other Finder window and drag it to the toobar of the one that is being customized. There. You can still customize the toolbars.

By the way, I like my bum.
post #317 of 553
Frank, I don't know about the function keys, but you can remap a lot of shortcuts in Panther, in the keyboard system prefs I think. We must have the image of that somewhere on page 3...
post #318 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by frank_t
I hope Brad or someone can answer two things for me about Panther.....

First can you make use of the Function Keys to set them to open apps and move that app to the front when you press it's Function Key?

And with the new thing where you can set keyboard key combos can you make the finder work like it used to when you make a new folder? now in 10.2 if you do command n in the finder it make a new window....which is a joke....can we sent it to make a new folder now? i also see that you can open .dmg files in the finder now which is nice but where can you make your own now?

Also if anyone can....can you tell me if dial up is more reliable in Panther as right now in jag dial up users get disconnected alto by the OS...and yes it is the OS as the ISP's have been tested on other set ups like PC's and external modems and work fine....under Mac OS X it's always disconnecting for no reason.

I Hope people can fill in my questions.

Frank_t

To answer a few of your questions. First: about the 'Full Keyboard Access'

I toyed around with the 'Full Keyboard Access' a little bit. It doesn't seem to be implemented at all. At first I tried simply re-mapping the New Folder command to command - n. That didn't work, so I thought it might just not be able to override pre-existing commands. So I tried it with some obscure combination, and it still didn't work. I then tried other commands, and other key combinations, and nothing seemed to work. I don't think it's implemented yet.

As far as using function keys to call other apps, I don't quite know how that would work, even if it were implemented. You need to choose a specific menu command to get it to work, and there really isn't a menu command in any program to open itself.

Take a look at the sheet that comes down when you click on "Add Keyboard Shortcut"

I don't have dialup, so I can't answer that question. And as far as creating .dmg files, I believe you still need to go through Disk Copy... I don't see anything that would do it in the Finder.
post #319 of 553
OK, I know I posted this in the "Panther and Inkwell" thread, but I thought that since this is the "official screen shots thread" I might as well post them here, too. They'd probably getting linked to from here anyways.

I figured out how to get the Ink prefpane to open without a tablet, so I don't know anything about the actual use of Inkwell, but here are screenshots:

The Preferences.app with the Ink pane icon

The Settings Tab
(The Options Button sheet from that tab)
The Gestures Tab
The Word List Tab

The "Ink Server"

The Ink Menu item

Edit: Oh, and the recognized languages are English, French, and German
post #320 of 553
I'm just wondering and sorry if this has already been discussed in here but I haven't had the time to read from page 3 to page 7... regarding the screensaver lock, when the screen is locked can someone else log in under their user name and work under their account? Or is the computer simply not usable unless you are an admin or the specific user that locked the computer?

Also, and this may be hard to try out, but does the connect to server work with secure servers now? In Jaguar I couldn't connect to my school's secure webdav server while Windows had no problem. Has this been fixed? I sure hope so!

Thanks!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)