or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider) - Page 9

post #321 of 553
Oh one more thing (and I'm sure I'll think of more)... folders such as the home folder on the dock, are they spring loaded now?

For example, can I take a jpg from the desktop, move it down to my home folder for a bit, that springs open and shows my other folders so that I can put the jpg in the pictures folder? And can someone show a screen shot if possible?

Thanks!
post #322 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by long AAPL
Oh one more thing (and I'm sure I'll think of more)... folders such as the home folder on the dock, are they spring loaded now?

Nope. The ones in the lower left of Finder windows are. Toolbar icons were springy in Jag, but not yet in Panther.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #323 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by BZ
Anyone...

In the new threading options in Mail, does it thread your replies that are now in the sent folder?
BZ

Yes it does.

--Johnny
--Johnny
post #324 of 553
Very nice thanks...

Oh and are there are more settings in the rules drop down in mail?

Brad? Screenshot?

BZ

Quote:
Originally posted by lundy
Yes it does.

post #325 of 553
Call me crazy -but I'da taken those addresses, and blurred them-

`tommy
( it is already in use )
( it is already in use )
post #326 of 553
Quote:
Nope. The ones in the lower left of Finder windows are.

Close enough, for me.

If you're moving files around, then you're in the Finder to begin with, right?

(Well, okay, you could be selecting a text chunk and like to be able to drop it into a folder as a text clipping file, as you would on the Desktop, or drop an image from a web page into a folder... hey... Dammit Apple! Why haven't you done this?!? )

Quote:
Toolbar icons were springy in Jag, but not yet in Panther.

They won't be, as I understand it. The Finder Toolbar is becoming a standard Toolbar, with buttons, but not droppable targets. Those are moved to the left pane.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #327 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Sorel
Is there an option to turn off showing stuff on the desktop in the Finder preferences?

Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Yes, the Finder prefs are verbatim what they in Jaguar right now.

So in other words, there is no such option
post #328 of 553
Quote:
So in other words, there is no such option

I don't know, you tell me

(gimme a sec, I'm uploading it )
ok, so it was like 45 min... heh sorry
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #329 of 553
Re: Console
Does the new Console have color prefs like Terminal (i.e. not just the font color option in Jag)? Transparent backround? I'd love to have the console window trasparent, borderless (titlebarless), and permanently backgrounded against the desktop... but transparent alone would be a good start.

Thanks.
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
"Time goes, you say? Ah no! Alas, Time stays, we go." -H. A. Dobson
post #330 of 553
Console is called version 2.0 (Jag is 1.2), but I can't seem to find any differences. I'm not a developer, so I'm not very familiar with the Console, but (at least on the surface) it seems unchanged.

No window transparency/color options.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #331 of 553
Console is HUGELY different.

There is only so much a console application can display (the various logs in Mac OS X), but the UI has been totally revamped with the toolbar, Open System Log, preferences...

Considering the whole app is just a UI (doesn't do anything else), of course it's going to be version 2.

And Console is not just handy to developers. Any error messages go through Console Log or other logs. Webmaster, sysadmin, whatever, console is gooood for them.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four
post #332 of 553
search results.

want to see them.
post #333 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I don't know, you tell me...

Nope, prefs are exactly the same as 10.2...

Either way, I can't wait to get my trembling hands on a copy
post #334 of 553
In a Finder screenshot, I have seen a folder in the Utilities folder named "SmartCard".

What are the contents? Will we see SmartCard authentication? I once read that this is a feature requested by the US Army...

I don't know if this has already been answered, but does can change to another user's desktop while the original desktop is locked/screen saver running as Windows XP does?
post #335 of 553
Quote:
Nope, prefs are exactly the same as 10.2...

Well if you un-check all three of the top boxes, that's all the stuff that would appear there; drives, discs, and servers. Then just don't put any files there... and they won't be there. Is this not what you mean? Or is there another way to have nothing on your desktop?
post #336 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by iBrowse
Or is there another way to have nothing on your desktop?

Path Finder offers the option to not show the files on your desktop.

But you are correct, you can keep your "junk" anywhere you want to
post #337 of 553
If your where in OS 9 and hit F1 key it would ask you if you wanted to set that function key to any app to open with.....so you hit F1 on your keyboard and say itunes opens up for you...no need to find it's icon and open it....that is what i mean....there are apps out for os x that do this now but it should be with the OS X to start with like os 9 had.

Like Xkeys for os x now

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18713

Product Description:
Xkeys allows you to launch applications and open files and folders just by pressing a function key. Function keys can have submenus, duplicating the functionality of Fkey Expander. It can also be put on standby with a keystroke. The ability of function keys to launch things is a feature of OS 9 that has been dropped in Mac OS X for some reason. Xkeys brings it back and combines it with the functionality of the Fkey Expander.

Get what i mean now?

Frank_t
post #338 of 553
Quote:
Path Finder offers the option to not show the files on your desktop.

But you are correct, you can keep your "junk" anywhere you want to

But does it look any different?
post #339 of 553
Any improvements to the Print Center? Right now it is kinda clunky. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks
post #340 of 553
I just want to reiterate this is the greatest OS X thread EVAR. That is all.
Have a fine 4th.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #341 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by tommy_thompson
Call me crazy -but I'da taken those addresses, and blurred them-

`tommy

Or make them bogus....
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #342 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
search results.

want to see them.

http://johnnylundy.com/Scrn003.jpg

http://johnnylundy.com/Scrn004.jpg

[edit by Brad: large inline images = evil]
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #343 of 553
Quote:

The HDs (top left). They aren't placed by alphabetical order.

This left side column, we can place items in any order we want? I noticed the user folders are in Aphabetical order but the Drivers aren't.
post #344 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
I don't know, you tell me

(gimme a sec, I'm uploading it )
ok, so it was like 45 min... heh sorry

When I have used Force Quit the MENU bar turns the color of my desktop image: is there a way to either Hide the MENU bar or change its color?

if not then that is a request for the upcoming OS

also:

I would LOVE to be able to change the color of the background in Columns view.

anybody know how to do that? any progz that do that?

or make the background in Columns view transparent or semi-transparent!!

any ideas?
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #345 of 553
Quote:
http://johnnylundy.com/Scrn003.jpg

[edit by Brad: large inline images = evil]

thank you!
post #346 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by iPeon

This left side column, we can place items in any order we want? I noticed the user folders are in Aphabetical order but the Drivers aren't.

I don't know about the drives. I assume they put the computer, the network, your iDisk, then any mounted drive in the order it's mounted. But you can add, subtract and rearrange the other stuff under the divider to your heart's content. It is the new "Favorites" folder in essence.

Is there no "recent items" available in the open/save dialogs?
post #347 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Oh, and one little thing from page 3 that I never got around to addressing:
This is not correct. I removed the flexible space and I *still* can't add regular files and folders to the toolbar. Care to point out anything I might be missing?

Sorry for getting back to ya late. I've been busy. Drag a regular file or folder between the action button and the folder views, or anywhere that there is a gap. DOing this will let you now drag that icon anywhere. When you see the FLEXIBLE SPACE box appear that means that now you can add that folder or file up there.
post #348 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
I don't know about the drives. I assume they put the computer, the network, your iDisk, then any mounted drive in the order it's mounted. But you can add, subtract and rearrange the other stuff under the divider to your heart's content. It is the new "Favorites" folder in essence.

Is there no "recent items" available in the open/save dialogs?

You can rearrange all, but can't delete from the drives. Sucks if you don't use iDisk.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #349 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
You can rearrange all, but can't delete from the drives. Sucks if you don't use iDisk.

Yeah, really. I don't have .mac, like 6.5 MILLION other OS X users, and I don't want it staring me, taking up space. You would think that for an OPTIONAL service they would make that icon OPTIONAL! I mean it's used by what? 7% of OS X users? GRRR
post #350 of 553
Is it true that the copying and pasting of custom icons from "Get Info" windows is broken in Panther? If this is the case it will be disastrous for the Macintosh GUI community. One can only hope that it's just another item that hasn't yet been implemented.
"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter."
Mark Twain
Mark Twain
post #351 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
...snip...I toyed around with the 'Full Keyboard Access' a little bit. It doesn't seem to be implemented at all. At first I tried simply re-mapping the New Folder command to command - n. That didn't work, so I thought it might just not be able to override pre-existing commands. So I tried it with some obscure combination, and it still didn't work. I then tried other commands, and other key combinations, and nothing seemed to work. I don't think it's implemented yet....snip...

Heh, today I went to make a new folder, and typed command-shift-n. Guess what I got. A new window. I typed command-n, and got my new folder. I guess it does work, but it just needs a restart of the app. I just thought you would be interested.

Now if only it could execute applescripts, too, we'd be in perfect shape! Since you need to enter in a Menu command, it's kinda limiting. Oh well.
post #352 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by badtz
Are you able to send/receive faxes if your phoneline is connected to an airport [extreme] basestation ???

or does it have to be direct to your computer?

???
post #353 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wingnut
Is it true that the copying and pasting of custom icons from "Get Info" windows is broken in Panther?

This was also broken for a VERY long time in the Jaguar developer builds. Did it work in the GM build?
post #354 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
This was also broken for a VERY long time in the Jaguar developer builds. Did it work in the GM build?

Icon copying and pasting works in Jaguar... but in Panther Developer Preview it seems you can't even select icons in the "Get Info" window.
Mark Twain
Mark Twain
post #355 of 553
thats what he is saying... it was broken in the jag preview, but it works in the jag final version... so don't get worked up over it until you see it missing in the final version of panther...
post #356 of 553
Yes, you can cut and paste icons in the Get Info window in the Finder. It just seems like you can't as Apple has done away with the box outline that shows up when you click on the icon. I had a chance to play around with a friend's Panther box and that is one of the things I tried out.

jkb
post #357 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by jkb
Yes, you can cut and paste icons in the Get Info window in the Finder. It just seems like you can't as Apple has done away with the box outline that shows up when you click on the icon.

Oh, that's great, thanks. I was worried for a moment there...
Mark Twain
Mark Twain
post #358 of 553
Quote:
Heh, today I went to make a new folder, and typed command-shift-n. Guess what I got. A new window. I typed command-n, and got my new folder. I guess it does work, but it just needs a restart of the app. I just thought you would be interested.

You are awesome. Life is awesome.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #359 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by iPeon

Yes, any order you want. For both the upper and the lower panes.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #360 of 553
Did I read that correctly? Command-N now creates a new folder in the Panther Finder? That is damn good news if true, I must say.
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)