or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider) - Page 3

post #81 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by nu64man
Can you close minimized windows from the dock by right-mouse clicking on them?

If a folder/disk icon in the dock, are they spring-loaded?

Yes. No.
post #82 of 553
A developer friend of mine in the UFP has been "showing me the ropes" on this new Panther build. He's chosen to throw caution to the wind and share these tasty goodies with you all.

Okay, where to begin? Alphabetical order.

Assorted images

About box
About box build
Updated Apple menu - force quit toggles to add the app name as you can see when you hold option key.
command-tab apps - if you cold command and move your mouse around, the mouse will select the apps too.
keyboard menu - has become a real .menu now.
fast user switching example

Activity Monitor

A very cool app and very useful too. I can see a lot of gurus falling in love with this baby.

Activity Viewer - CPU pane
Activity Viewer - System Memory pane
Activity Viewer - Disk Activity pane
Activity Viewer - Disk Usage pane
Activity Viewer - Network pane
Activity Viewer - customize toolbar
Activity Viewer - menu 1
Activity Viewer - menu 2
Activity Viewer - menu 3
Activity Viewer - menu 4
Activity Viewer - Process Info - Memory
Activity Viewer - Process Info - Statistics
Activity Viewer - Process Info - Open Files
Activity Viewer - Process Sampling in Progress
Activity Viewer - Process Sampling display
Activity Viewer - Process Sampling display 2
Activity Viewer - About Box

I'll be breaking up this information into several more posts to follow.
post #83 of 553
Address Book

Several additions. My favorite: templates.

Address Book - main window, comes with an Apple entry
Address Book - Preferences, general
Address Book - Preferences, template
Address Book - Preferences, phone
Address Book - Preferences, vCard
Address Book - Preferences, LDAP
Address Book - distribution list
Address Book - About box

Console

Has received a facelift with some new controls.

Console - About box
Console - main window
Console - customize toolbar

Disk Utility

The average user now finally can toggle journaling! Also, new options to restore from images.

Disk Utility - Restore from image
Disk Utility - First Aid
Disk Utility - Journaling toggle!
Disk Utility - About box
Disk Utility - images menu

Dock

Minor changes. You can now close Finder windows and Hide apps through context menus.

Dock - Close
Dock - Hide also note new menu items for Terminal

Plenty more to come...
post #84 of 553
DVD Player

DVD Player When you start it up, the main window is full black and the text fades in. There's actually a LOT of fades in the system now. The controller fades in and out as well.
DVD Player - vertical controller
DVD Player - horizontal controller
DVD Player - main window
DVD Player - Preferences, player
DVD Player - Preferences, disc setup
DVD Player - Preferences, full screen
DVD Player - Preferences, windows
DVD Player - About box

Finder

A few things first. The toolbar no longer takes files/folders to make shortcuts. Nada. You now use the lower part of the left pane for this. This really isn't so bad and when you get used to it, you see it's actually very well done. When you navigate to a folder that's in the pane, it highlights it as you'll see below. Even if you're originally navigating from another place in the hierarchy, when you get to, say, your home folder, the home folder highlights on the left. It probably looks better in person than it sounds.

Also, the concept of the top level of the computer is GONE. In the old Mac OS X, when you create a new window, it can either go home or to the "computer" and list all drives and that stupid network icon. That top "layer" is no more. Drives are now in that side pane and, if you want, on the desktop. The "home" is much better grounded as well. When you click your home on the left pane, for example, and you are using column view, it starts with your home folder at the root directory, not as /Users/yourname. This hides the multiuser filesystem very well and is surprisingly effective!

The Finder windows only *superficially* look like Windows. They don't act like Windows nearly as you might think.

Oh yeah, and it's *really* really threaded better this time. In Jaguar, loading my applications folder for the first time would make Finder hang for a couple seconds as it loaded my huge array of apps. In 10.3, the little wait spinner appears at the bottom center of the window where the status bar now is located and you can still click around and work for the brief period it's loading.

Okay, on to the pics for now.

Finder - a new-style window
Finder - live search it's literally as fast as the filter in Mail and iTunes. Amazing.
Finder - customize toolbar
Finder - Get Info Note that ownership is slightly rearranged. the details part is not open by default when you click the ownership & permissions disclosure triangle
Finder - a selected icon
Finder - changing its name
Finder - context menu, choosing a label
Finder - the file now labeled, unselected
Finder - the file now labeled, selected
Finder - Folder Action Setup
Finder - Secure Empty Trash
Finder - File menu
Finder - Go menu
Finder - home, icon view
Finder - home, list view
Finder - home, column view (note what I mentioned above)
Finder - window WITHOUT toolbar and pane Simply click the toolbar widget to make them slide away.
Finder - window WITH toolbar and pane Clicking the toolbar widget again makes the window expand down and out to the left.
Finder - About box

I'm still less than half-way done here, folks.
post #85 of 553
Font Book

Publishers are going to, well, Steve Jobs would probably say "shit their pants."

Font Book - main window
Font Book - with expanded disclosure triangles

Help Viewer

It's FINALLY a decent app. No more beach-balling for a minute while it sits there staring at you blankly trying to load. Now it loads up nearly instantly.

Help Viewer - main screen All new pages. They use CSS and links underline as you mouse around. Clearly we're seeing the fruits of KHTML here.
Help Viewer - About box
Help Viewer - Panther: What's new? There are lots of pages like this, actually.
Help Viewer - Solutions for common questions

Internet Connect

Now does VPN.

Internet Connect - Starting up
Internet Connect - Summary
Internet Connect - VPN sheet
Internet Connect - File menu
Internet Connect - Abotu box

Keychain

The Keychain Access app is the same, but here's an updated alert.

Keychain - yay, new icon

loginwindow

Now when you choose Log out, shut down, or restart, the dialog has a live countdown timer.

loginwindow - countdown

Ports Manager

The *nix folks should like this one...

Ports Manager - DarwinPorts Installer
Ports Manager - Ports Collection Browser
Ports Manager - customize toolbar

Down the rabbit hole...
post #86 of 553
Preview

It's fast.

Preview - Preferences, general
Preview - Preferences, images
Preview - Preferences, PDF
Preview - a window with toolbar
Preview - About box Notice how about boxes now contain descriptions for several apps? It's about time they started doing that.

QuickTime Player

Most significant change: saving supports long file names!! Cripes, we've gone through HOW MANY major version updates now and have been missing this "feature" that's been around since Mac OS 9?

QuickTime Player - first window note the new skin
QuickTime Player - About box
QuickTime Player - Preferences Same old stuff
QuickTime Player - a movie Playback is good, but it's a little buggy and stutters at times.
QuickTime Player - save OMG OMG OMG OMG
QuickTime Player - that saved file It actually worked. Oh yes.

Sherlock

Has a slightly updated layout.

Sherlock - Main window
Sherlock - About box
Sherlock - Preferences

"System Preferences" is next. I really hope you guys appreciate this!!
post #87 of 553
Thanks a lot Brad. Great info. Has Sherlock closed the gap at all with Watson yet?
post #88 of 553
I really, really, really appreciate this Brad! Will you marry me?

I'm guessing that the slightly darker and smoother (well QT 6.3 was already smoother) metal will be the new .nib for all metal apps in Panther. The Panther preview web page shows the same appearance for the OS X tab.

I'm curious as to what the unimplemented "navigation widget" is in Preview.
post #89 of 553
This is great Brad, a nice organized listing of features/screenshots.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #90 of 553
System Preferences

Mostly the same stuff, just rearranged. Though, there are some new goodies.

System Preferences - screen saver
System Preferences - desktop
System Preferences - display
System Preferences - schedule Scheduled start-ups!
System Preferences - keyboard shortcuts Some serious customization.
System Preferences - keyboard shortcuts continued.
System Preferences - keyboard shortcuts add shortcut popup menu in that sheet.
System Preferences - printing
System Preferences - printer info opens after clicking set up printers
System Preferences - accounts, password
System Preferences - accounts, picture
System Preferences - accounts, security
System Preferences - accounts, startup items
System Preferences - accounts, limitations
System Preferences - accounts, login options
System Preferences - clock Note that Clock.app is not integrate here with the "in a window" toggle. No more eating Dock real estate with a simple clock!

System Profiler

Oh wow. This one has gotten a total rewrite. No more waiting and waiting and waiting like with the old Apple System Profiler. This new version loads instantly. Bam! It's there. It's ready.

System Profiler - hardware
System Profiler - memory
System Profiler - PCI/AGP cards
System Profiler - IDE (ATA)
System Profiler - SCSI
System Profiler - USB
System Profiler - Applications
System Profiler - Extensions
System Profiler - Network
System Profiler - Logs
System Profiler - About box
System Profiler - Frameworks

One more post should do it...
post #91 of 553
TextEdit

Gets a little bit more Aquafied.

TextEdit - default text document
TextEdit - About box
TextEdit - Spacing menu
TextEdit - Spacing "other" sheet
TextEdit - Styles menu
TextEdit - Styles "other" sheet
TextEdit - mini save sheet
TextEdit - expanded *new* save sheet, list view
TextEdit - expanded *new* save sheet, column view
TextEdit - save as... Word fomat?
TextEdit - Yes it does!
TextEdit - save plain text
TextEdit - change writing direction

And last but not least, an example of the screen you get when you try the past-user switching:

Switch users login screen After entering this, it uses the rotating cube transition like Keynote. It's very slick!

If you've got any other specific questions or requests for screenshots and information, feel free to post them.
post #92 of 553
Excellent, thanks for all the info, Brad.

It looks like TextEdit can continue to be my word processor of choice!
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
post #93 of 553
Brad, you rock.

Q: Is Preview scriptable? (On a related note... anyone know how to batch convert .tif files to .pdf *without* Preview? )
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #94 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
(On a related note... anyone know how to batch convert .tif files to .pdf *without* Preview? )

You haven't tried GraphicConverter? It'll do the job super-easy.
post #95 of 553
Good point. Was hoping to pull this off on my wife's laptop without the need for installing another app on it...

She has several GB of archival quality scans of historical documents that are just too detailed (and therefore huge files) to work with. Open them in Preview (or GC), print them to PDF, concatenate with texexec, and suddenly they're 1/20 the size. Manageable for everyday work. But a pain to do manually.

Ah, if only you could access the guts of Preview from scripting. :P
post #96 of 553
Thanks brad.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
post #97 of 553
Brad, you never cease to amaze me, thanks for all the info!
post #98 of 553

can you open word files as well??!?!?!?! FREE WORD CONVERTER WITH PANTHER!!!... now if only there was a cheap version of FMP with excel support...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #99 of 553
Brad, you rock.

Does anyone understand why they don't just go back to OS 9 style for windowing or at least open/save dialogs? Open/save dialogs absolutely SUCK in OS X, and it looks like they are getting even more cluttered in Panther.

And I will keep crying until Apple decides to put the close and resize widgets away from each other! And maybe puts some decorations on the widgets that show what they do!
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
post #100 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
And I will keep crying until Apple decides to put the close and resize widgets away from each other! And maybe puts some decorations on the widgets that show what they do!

Think traffic light...
post #101 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizzmonic
Open/save dialogs absolutely SUCK in OS X, and it looks like they are getting even more cluttered in Panther.

Actually, I find the new open/save pane in Panther to be far better than both Jaguar's (obviously) and the wide array of inconsistent dialogs from OS9. It's the best one for Mac I've seen yet. Remember, you can't really judge these things until you try them firsthand.
post #102 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Finder

A few things first. The toolbar no longer takes files/folders to make shortcuts. Nada. You now use the lower part of the left pane for this. This really isn't so bad and when you get used to it, you see it's actually very well done. When you navigate to a folder that's in the pane, it highlights it as you'll see below. Even if you're originally navigating from another place in the hierarchy, when you get to, say, your home folder, the home folder highlights on the left. It probably looks better in person than it sounds.

Hey there Brad...you are just a little wrong. YOu can still drag icons into the top part of the FINDER window as you can do now. The reason that it might seem like you can't is because of the FLEXIBLE SPACE UI element. If you drag a icon to the left a little (where the flexible space ends) you can leave it there. If you go to customize the finder window, you can remove that FLEXIBLE SPACE UI element.

I hope we are both talking about the same thing.
post #103 of 553
Also worth noting, as far as I could tell, right now only the FINDERs minimized windows can be closed from the dock. No other application can.
post #104 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Carbon? Cocoa?

*sigh*

Guys. Seriously. At this point does it really MATTER if it's cocoa or carbon? I mean, if Carbon has gotten good enough that you can't tell the difference superficially and have to resort to odd trickery like the above to find obscure behavior differences, I think the debate it pointless.

Brad, the only reason why I wonder if Finder is Cocoa is whether it's been rewritten. I understand, though, that you can well combine Carbon and Cocoa in one app. The subtle difference is that they use entirely different event loops. Can't speak of Panther, though. Anyway, a rewrite means fewer old bugs and some brand new ones.

Thank you for the images and comments. You are a marvel.
By the way, what is that resizer widget in the bottom of the rightmost pane in Font Book?

When I look at the snapshots, I'm getting almost happy. If the final release of Panther includes features omitted in the WWDC preview (like piles) and proves to be faster than Jaguar, I will be very happy.
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #105 of 553
Yep, just opened a word file with TextEdit - hardly a complex doc so I can't say it supports every word file (eg with metafiles, images, appends etc).

A few of other observations:
- scrolling with a scroll wheel mouse is feels much smoother, and appears to have a tiny bit of momentum (might have been velocity linked before, but now it's smooth enough to notice)
- my intellimouse tracking feels slow, I had to turn it right up. Using trackpad on an ibook felt perfectly fast enough.
- love the new speed of the sheets, feel much quicker, although I'm slightly sad that open/save dialogs no longer seems to be in sheets. No biggy tho.
- dock menus feel much much quicker. I normally put my apps folder in the dock for instant access and mousing through sub folders used to be embarrasingly slow - not any more.
- contextural menus - especially "open with" menus seem instant, a big improvement.
- *hate* the metal look of finder, I've got into a mindset of "metal=iapp, aqua=finder", and can't get used to it being all metal - I keep thinking it's a safari/address book window. It's a shame as the new default aqua window bars are really cute without the pinstripe. I'm not a big believer in third party apps to alter the plists and appearence - but I'm tempted.
- The finder side menu is ok - A huge leap forward for novice users (ever tried to tell a novice how to find an application thats not in the dock?). For Pro users - hmm, yeah I could use it to stick favourite places down the side, but I'd like an option to turn it off for when you double click on a folder in the "spatial" finder - I don't need to view a sidebar if all I'm viewing is a folder contents. It's worthwhile addition in alot of instances tho.
- the direct access to servers in the finder is very cool, i haven't yet tried disconnecting the network and seeing if the finder hangs while it searches for connected servers (one of my mac os bugbears since system 7). The direct network access isn't perfect in the open/save dialogs, but getting there.
- love exposé, wish it showed hidden apps as well - might do eventually. But it's a real pro feature that will please window slobs and window nazis!
- love fontbook.
- I've got a few display glitches (custom windows like realplayer only part display), but I've got a bit of a frankenstein mac (sawtooth, gigadesigns processor, radeon 8500), so it's understandable in a beta!
- It wouldn't install on my Pmac (again - undestandable!), but installed onto an ipod using my iBook 500 fine, and now runs on the sawtooth ok from the iPod. For those interested - it ran ok on the iBook - felt just as fast as Jaguar if slightly faster.

overall feels pretty solid, hard to believe it'll take until the end of the year to polish it up. Going back to 10.2, I already miss some of the features in panther. The bottom line is it's almost all good news, it occurs to me that Apple are really listening to feedback about OSX so far (full spatial finder/metainfo not withstanding!) and are just now cleaning up around the edges with 10.3.
post #106 of 553
I doubt they rewrote it. Basically all they did was change the window layout.

I'm still dissapointed with the way it lock up connecting to servers.

I think we may see more significant finder improvements before release though. They made a start.

What I don't understand is the metal look..... especially when their dialogs sport this really cool sleek grey/silver look.... why cant they add that to windows and such.

the metal really just makes things look bad IMO.
post #107 of 553
I'm confused - some times save dialogs appear in sheets, sometimes not, curious, probably my mistake.
post #108 of 553
This spatial finder thing is very interesting (not that I will use it) ...

With the toolbars hidden in Finder, how close does it behave to the old spatial finder from 9?
meh
meh
post #109 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
I'm still dissapointed with the way it lock up connecting to servers.

Same multithreading issues. That's the worst thing about Finder, IMHO. This may be fixed without rewriting everything, I think.
Quote:
What I don't understand is the metal look..... especially when their dialogs sport this really cool sleek grey/silver look.... why cant they add that to windows and such.

the metal really just makes things look bad IMO.

What about the infamous Human Interface Guidelines? Does anybody still bothers to read them?
post #110 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by HoofHearted
I'm confused - some times save dialogs appear in sheets, sometimes not, curious, probably my mistake.

It depends on the application - they're not always sheets in Jaguar either.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #111 of 553
.Mac syncing is not finished (ie, unusable) ATM. How unfortunate, I was looking foward to that.

Barto
Self Indulgent Experiments keep me occupied.

rotate zmze pe vizspygmsr minus four

post #112 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by costique
What about the infamous Human Interface Guidelines? Does anybody still bothers to read them?

Apple certainly doesn't\
post #113 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
With the toolbars hidden in Finder, how close does it behave to the old spatial finder from 9?

I'm not a complete OS9 finder fan (column view - yay!), but yes, you can make it OS9 style if to a certain extent.

By Default (using the finder sidebar/topbar)

You still have to use modifier keys (apple or alt) when double clicking on a folder to open it in a new window. I'm all for that tho - less clutter.

Every finder window you open has the sidebar and the top toolbar - There's no setting I can see that turns off either bar in any scenario, either by default or by window.

That OS9 feeling

Open a finder window, go to icon view and click the topright window widget, and suddenly you're in OS9 mode. double click a folder and it opens in a new window, without topbar/sidebar. Icons seem to remember their positions.

When you move to list view (still without toolbars), clicking on a folder opens the it in the same window instead of a new one. You still get the folder twisties like OS9. Most of this has been here since 10.1 I think.

But, open a new finder window or doubleclick a folder/volume on the desktop and the new window has the default view with side/topbar.

I guess if there was a global option to turn off the top/side bar you'd have that OS9 deja-vu all over the OS...

2 cents

I'm getting to like the sidebar/topbar, but I don't need them in every window I open - takes up too much space.

Personally, I'd like to have the sidebar when I open a new finder window. But click on a volume/folder on the desktop and I'd like a more minimal window, just the "40 items, 10Gb avail" info and maybe an icon/list/column switcher.

If that was an option that would make me happy, I'd get the browser style finder when I want it and the low-real-estate basic window when I'm just poking around individual folders (might not be "spatial" but close enough for me). I can always click the top-right widget to get the full finder sidebar/topbar back.
post #114 of 553
ohmygosh... I swear I haven't seen this in 10.2 (let me know if I'm wrong).

open a "get info" panel for an application and the memory settings are back. So you can see the "suggested memory size" and set the "minimum memory" and "preferred memory" that an application uses.

I guess it's not as important as it used to be in OS9 when we had to juggle the settings all the time, but I was dead suprised to see it come back from the dead.
post #115 of 553
Quote:

An application has to be programmed to use sheets. Apps can choose to use Navigation Services (from Classic) or their own mechinism.

Barto

post #116 of 553
Quote:

open a "get info" panel for an application and the memory settings are back. So you can see the "suggested memory size" and set the "minimum memory" and "preferred memory" that an application uses.

I guess it's not as important as it used to be in OS9 when we had to juggle the settings all the time, but I was dead suprised to see it come back from the dead.

You must have clicked on a Classic Application. Memory is allocated dynamically for native applications.

post #117 of 553
Quote:

These settings only appear for Carbon apps that launch in Classic as well as OS X native. (Same goes for Jag)
post #118 of 553
Quote:
Originally posted by frawgz
These settings only appear for Carbon apps that launch in Classic as well as OS X native. (Same goes for Jag)

apologies - I get it.
post #119 of 553
Hows the Networking? Is there at least a link to the NetInfo for inserting WORKGROUPS and other Windows networking crap???

Networking in mixed environment better be DAMN BETTER!!!!

esp no more friggen Colonel Panics when using SMB etc...
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #120 of 553
Seems that Apple has run amok with that lefthand sidebar thing. They seem to use it every chance they get! Some of those thing are really funny to see, like having abig empty field in the system prefs and one tiny checkbox in it. Brad or anyone else, does the Desktop system preferences pane let you store more than one custom folder in that list? I assume it does by the way it looks. Also, how does that choice for solid color work? Does it pop up the color picker?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)