or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.

New PowerBooks tomorrow. - Page 4  

post #121 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by bih
So it's the day after tomorrow, and still no new powerbooks. I guess they won't come out until I drop 2 grand for one of the current ones.

Well, do it quick, because I want an updated 17" ;D
post #122 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by BrunoBruin
Oh my gawd, if one more person says "year of the laptop" I will have an aneurysm.

Year of the laptop.

Sorry, but I am in a bad mood right now and at least that made me smile a little.
post #123 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Karma
Code:

while (powerbook.specifications == powerbook.oldspecifications[yesterday]) {
struct ai_username* user;
struct ai_post* post;
user = ai_create_user(randomname());
post = generate_powerbook_post();
if (ai_post(user, post, FUTURE_HARDWARE) != 0) {
break;
}
}

// Infinite loop
while(isADoucheBag("Anonymyous Karma"))
;
post #124 of 874
Hello

I don't know why apple si taking so long to update the 15" Powerbook. What I can say is that the apple store has one of the 15" PB with a 7 to 10 days of shipping wait. I hope this means that we will have them in short time. No more than one week?

I am wating Steve......
post #125 of 874
That makes two of us..

post #126 of 874
Well, the new 15" AlBooks better get here soon... I just found a victim...er, buyer for my Ti400... I will have to buy another laptop during the next 10 days or so!

<edit typo>
post #127 of 874
maybe in this year...
post #128 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I'll let Junkyard Dawg suck his own D***K if this becomes true

You don't have to "let" me, I do it on my own whenever I please.

About those Powerbooks,

New Powerbook refresh this summer. No G5 Powerbook, no way. MWSF maybe, WWDC likely.

No doubt Apple has fully functional Powerbook G5s in the bowels of their skunkworks, but we aren't getting them until next year, and this is why: it would hurt Powermac G5 sales. Think about how many "pros" do their work on a Powerbook. A large portion (majority?) of Powerbook owners don't even own a desktop, but seeing the extra power of the new G5s, many could be persuaded into upgrading to a tower instead of a new laptop. So a delay in the Powerbook G5 leads to increased Powermac G5 sales to many who normally would not buy towers, but crave the Godspeed.

When Apple finally releases the Powerbook G5, all of the laptop users who broke down and bought G5 towers 8-12 months ago will rush to buy Powerbooks. End result? Scads of laptop users buy BOTH a G5 desktops and laptops. If Apple had released the Powerbook G5s along with the Powermac G5s, these buyers never would have bought towers.

Apple will no doubt give us some sweet laptop updates this summer, but look for features besides mondo power. Maybe some modest G4 speed bumps, but mostly display resolution changes, video chipsets, HDs, battery, keyboards, etc. Hopefully a drop in price.

EDIT: G4 speed bumps, not G5!
post #129 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Is this sort of crass talk necessary?

Sorry, didn't want to damage your moral sensibilities...there are places on the net where you can restore and revitalize your moral righteousness and superiority. I suggest you check them when in need of cleansing yourself of our vulgarity.
post #130 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
When Apple finally releases the Powerbook G5, all of the laptop users who broke down and bought G5 towers 8-12 months ago will rush to buy Powerbooks. End result? Scads of laptop users buy BOTH a G5 desktops and laptops. If Apple had released the Powerbook G5s along with the Powermac G5s, these buyers never would have bought towers. ...

I'm not sure how the ratio of PB and Tower users would break down, but I seriously doubt they all would buy PBs. The Towers will be faster, have more options and better video cards than the PBs (as wonderful as the PBs will be).
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #131 of 874
Sorry about earlier message about store being updated, it was the UK store and as far as I can tell there's nothing different?
post #132 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by banky
Sorry about earlier message about store being updated, it was the UK store and as far as I can tell there's nothing different?

It's ok, banky. It's actually a good sign that several people noticed short down-periods on several European and the US Apple Store. Usually short closures like this signify that the webmasters are updating the site behind the scenes in preparation for an imminent, public new product release.

Cheers,
Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #133 of 874
Well, here's my info. I placed an order for a PowerBook G4 12" Combo on 6/28, and at the time, it was listed as Same Day Shipping. Now it's set to ship on or before 7/8. When I ordered it, and up until yesterday, it was the only PowerBook listed for same day shipping, but now the 17" and the 15" Combo Drive are listed for same day shipping as well.

So basically, who knows.
post #134 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg
Sorry, didn't want to damage your moral sensibilities...there are places on the net where you can restore and revitalize your moral righteousness and superiority. I suggest you check them when in need of cleansing yourself of our vulgarity.

Speaking of vulgar, where are those *ahem* photos?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #135 of 874
Really clever naming this thread "new powerbooks tomorrow" instead of "new powerbooks on 6/7" or something like that. It's like the "free beer tomorrow" signs.

I bet the delay is Moto's fault. They promised to have the 7457's in Apple's hands by such-and-such-a-date, and didn't deliver.
post #136 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
I bet the delay is Moto's fault. They promised to have the 7457's in Apple's hands by such-and-such-a-date, and didn't deliver.

Not to defend Moto, but if the rumors are correct they are actually EARLY in producing 7457s, which were not due until the end of the year or something.

Of course, taking the long view, you could say that even delivering early is still delivering about two years late since we were supposed to see the G5-class chip a year ago...
post #137 of 874
according to IBM officials, The PPC 970 has the potential to be introduced in laptops, but it should take some months.

It's clearly mean : no PPC 970 until 0,9 nm process.
post #138 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc

Not to pick on you in particular, Powerdoc, but I keep seeing people do this: The new process will be 90 nm, which is 0.9 &micro;m -- definitely not 0.9 nm.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #139 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc

Well, no PPC 970 in a laptop until 90nm process. We already have the PPC 970s; and ain't life grand again!!

Nice to have (one of) the fastest personal computer in the world, if not in hand, on order?
...we have assumed control
post #140 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
Not to pick on you in particular, Powerdoc, but I keep seeing people do this: The new process will be 90 nm, which is 0.9 &micro;m -- definitely not 0.9 nm.

you are right, just typed too fast
post #141 of 874
Is today tomorrow? I don't see new PBs. Kinda surprised actually, considering the gap between the G5 and everything else, I imagine there will be a storm of updates soon.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #142 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Is today tomorrow? I don't see new PBs. Kinda surprised actually, considering the gap between the G5 and everything else, I imagine there will be a storm of updates soon.

I guess I tend to agree with others in that a G5 PowerBook released soon would rip sales from Power Mac G5s. Perhaps later in the Summer/early Fall would be best/soonest possible. Of course, selling XX number of machines is the important thing here; whether or not they are Power Macs or PowerBooks only matters to Apple with their percentage markups. Anyone have any idea what Apple's markup is on a Power Mac (G4) versus the PowerBook G4?
post #143 of 874
Thinking back to the MPF in Oct 2002, IBM did state the following numbers for the PowerPC 970:

Typical Power Dissipation:

42W @ 1.8 GHz, 1.3v
19W @ 1.2 GHz, 1.1v

So why do you think they included a 1.2GHz, low voltage and wattage measurement? It screams of PowerBook use!
post #144 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Thinking back to the MPF in Oct 2002, IBM did state the following numbers for the PowerPC 970:

Typical Power Dissipation:

42W @ 1.8 GHz, 1.3v
19W @ 1.2 GHz, 1.1v

This makes me think about some chip guru questions I've had.

From figures I've seen, power dissipation for CPUs seems to be linearly proportional (roughly at least) to clock frequency when voltage remains a constant. Is this generally true?

I'm also getting the impression that power dissipation is proportional to the square of the core voltage (not surprising, given P = V^2 / R). True?

Now, what is it that leads to the decision of which voltage to use for a particular application? I'm sure that some voltages simply don't work -- too low or too high -- but within the acceptable voltage range, what drives the choice to use something other than the lowest voltage possible? Does the lowest possible voltage increase with clock speed?
post #145 of 874
Quote:
Now, what is it that leads to the decision of which voltage to use for a particular application? I'm sure that some voltages simply don't work -- too low or too high -- but within the acceptable voltage range, what drives the choice to use something other than the lowest voltage possible? Does the lowest possible voltage increase with clock speed?

And recalling also that the chipset voltages were constant at 1.3v, I wonder if this is merely a voltage stepping chip (the one at 1.2GHz). I know Power Management is getting a workover for Panther, but I wonder if this is a reason why? Voltage stepdown (and thus heat) when in low power mode.
post #146 of 874
Actually, the clock frequency vs. power consumption curve is not linear - it follows a log curve. And even though the initial specs for the 970 looked promising ( as posted above: 1.8 GHz = 42 Watts // 1.2 GHz = 19 Watts ), these specs were from a prerelease ( on 10/15/2002 ) marketing document.

The EETimes has reported that the 2 GHz 970 uses 97 Watts which would move the whole clock frequency vs. power consumption curve much higher. I've done some back of the envelope calculations and they show that the 970 at 1-1.2 GHz in it's present form will probably use around 30-40 Watts.

That is alot for a laptop - probably more that Apple would want for the PB series. So it might be some time before we see the 970 in a laptop - prob. not until the .9 um process chip.

Again, these numbers are back of the envelope and are not measured. We probably will not see real numbers released until someone gets a G5 and actually measures a real unit.

I mean there IS a reason for 9 fans in the G5 tower!
post #147 of 874
Quote:

Definitely not 0.9nm (not yet!) but 90nm is actually 0.09&micro;m.
post #148 of 874
Back to the realistic PowerBook updates...looks as though they will be coming within the next two weeks, given these factors:

1.) Several reports of current orders delayed - until around 7/7 or 7/8
2.) Shipping status for GHz PowerBook SuperDrive model is 7-10 days at Apple online store
3.) 15-inch Titantiums are nearing 8 months without an upgrade; 12- and 17-inch models are just about 6 months old
4.) Digitimes reported new 15.4 inch PowerBook will go into production in 2nd half of 2003; we're now in 2nd half of 2003
5.) 15-inch lack faster mobo, Airport Extreme and Built in bluetooth other models possess
6.) Motorola 7457 may be available earlier than expected and may be used in the new PB models
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #149 of 874
Quote:

I'm also getting the impression that power dissipation is proportional to the square of the core voltage (not surprising, given P = V^2 / R). True?

Yes but active devices (transistors) don't have simple values for R.

Quote:

Another complex issue. A given device will run faster with higher voltages but higher speed, lower power, smaller devices can be designed if lower voltages are used. The last is perhaps most important. When transistor gets become very thin they cannot support higher voltages and will fail.
post #150 of 874
What's kinda surprising to me is the outright LACK of any info whatsoever. There's not been a single reliable leak regarding a) the specs b) the availability or c) pricing.

A couple of websites have simply posted chatter and "I heard it from a guy..." kind of stuff, but there's really nothing concrete.

Does it even exist, this mythical new 15" PowerBook?

I mean, we're strictly going on assumptions here, looking at the 12" and 17" and assuming - logically, I'd suppose - that a new 15" will share their skin, hinge design, motherboard, keyboard, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, etc.

Said it before and I'll say it again: never has one product been so strongly desired and waited for! I think there are a good 10-15 people here waiting to get one (yours truly included) and I know 3 people in "real life" who are waiting - VISA card in hand - for them to be announced.

Crap-fire, Apple...let's GO! Get a move on it...you're sitting on about half-a-gazillion dollars in sales. Dang, just get us a preview or "sneak peak", even.

SOMETHING.
post #151 of 874
[Edit: oops...double post!]
post #152 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by jante99
WRONG!

Since this thread title is so vague I might as well post this again. And every day until the new PB comes out.

Seriously though, macmall.com currently has between 600 to 800 PBs in stock for each type. So unless Apple plans to screw retailers new PBs won't be released any time soon. (Probably at the creative expo or later in August).
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
PC Free Since 1999

"Don't copy that floppy!"
post #153 of 874
People aren't going to buy them because they know something improved is coming!

How's THAT for a pickle to be in? Is there some sort of Titanium Recycling Program where these things can be dumped? Or spray paint them white and give them to some schoolkids and say "it's a bigger iBook...now do your homework!"

post #154 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
How's THAT for a pickle to be in? Is there some sort of Titanium Recycling Program where these things can be dumped? Or spray paint them white and give them to some schoolkids and say "it's a bigger iBook...now do your homework!"

Man my high school days we had Apple IIe's to work on. I'd love it if someone handed me a "recycled" PowerBook.

As far as the macmall.com issue, that's there tough sh!t. They bought em from Apple, and even though, I believe, they can recoupe money from Apple if they don't sell be sending so many back, it is no where near full credit.

So Apple ain't too concerned about others selling their product. If THEIR stores are empty, that's pretty much all that concerns them.
post #155 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
Speaking of vulgar, where are those *ahem* photos?

I don't have anywhere to host the pics. Seriously. Since my .mac account was shut down by Apple I don't have any server space to post the pics at.

Meh, there isn't much to see. I could only just barely give the tip a few cursory licks before stopping for fear of breaking something important. On the jpegs you can't see much because I had to set up the camera for a delayed shot--after all, who the hell am I gonna get to take photos of me ravishing my own body like that?. Then of course I had to blur the photos a bit so I wouldn't get sent to jail for them, and of course to mask my identity. Can't you just see it: Photos capture Dubya sucking own d!ck as Frat Boy!!! Well I'm not going to run for president, but you get the idea.
post #156 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
What's kinda surprising to me is the outright LACK of any info whatsoever. There's not been a single reliable leak regarding a) the specs b) the availability or c) pricing.

A couple of websites have simply posted chatter and "I heard it from a guy..." kind of stuff, but there's really nothing concrete.

Does it even exist, this mythical new 15" PowerBook?

I mean, we're strictly going on assumptions here, looking at the 12" and 17" and assuming - logically, I'd suppose - that a new 15" will share their skin, hinge design, motherboard, keyboard, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, etc.

Said it before and I'll say it again: never has one product been so strongly desired and waited for! I think there are a good 10-15 people here waiting to get one (yours truly included) and I know 3 people in "real life" who are waiting - VISA card in hand - for them to be announced.

Crap-fire, Apple...let's GO! Get a move on it...you're sitting on about half-a-gazillion dollars in sales. Dang, just get us a preview or "sneak peak", even.

SOMETHING.

I know. It is frustrating as hell. The only two solid pieces of public information I've seen pointing to a new PB are:

1. A few places noted that some Taiwan trades paper had a short article asserting that some company (Compal?) had the contract to make new 15.4" PBs for Apple. They would start shipping in the second half of this year. As the current screen is 15.2" this solidly points to a new PB.

2. Not as good as the first bit of information. The Register noted that some company (don't recall the name) has started shipping samples of embedded boards with the new 7457 G4 indicating that it is just about available.

Finally, if you price a 1GHz G4 PB 15" at the Apple on line Store the availability is 7-10 days. It has been 7-10 days for a few days now so I'm not sure what that means.

Not much to go on.
post #157 of 874
Alright, Speak Up !

Who is really going to buy a new 15in if they come out say..within the next month?

I am for sure. I need one for school. And I cant verywell take my G3 lombard.
post #158 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
Alright, Speak Up !

Who is really going to buy a new 15in if they come out say..within the next month?

If the new 15.4"ers come out within a month, I have 3 grand waiting. If not I will get a Dell Inspiron 600m (Centrino).

Personally, I think that I will be ordering a Powerbook G4 15.4" in 11 days. I really feel that they will be released during Macworld CreativePro.
post #159 of 874
Hmmm. I find it reasonable to rename the thread to "No PowerBooks Tomorrow".
Quote:
Originally posted by chazmox:
The EETimes has reported that the 2 GHz 970 uses 97 Watts

Could they mean 2 CPUs, that is, 2 x 48W? At least, that's what I thought remembering IBM's estimate of 42W @ 1.8 GHz. Does anybody know for sure?
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #160 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS

Me. I have two people interested in buying my 667 and I want to unload it before they buy elsewhere. But if the specs of the new 15 aren't compelling, I might just get a 1GHz Ti on closeout. $2,299 or so would be a pretty sweet price for that machine.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.