or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.

New PowerBooks tomorrow. - Page 6  

post #201 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by TheS10th
97 happens to be not far off 42*2. 48.5*2=97, and 48.5 is a logical extrapolation of power consumption for 1 2ghz 970. The Dual system probably does indeed run at 97 watts... total for 2 processors. I don't see why the prerelease IBM documents are not to be believed. It seems a little odd that IBM would predict one thing, and then ship the final product dissipating over twice the heat, considering everything in them was either spot on, or even slightly pessimistic. The 1.2ghz G5 IS an option. The question is really whether the accompanying architecture is too power hungry, and too inflexible for a portable system. There are also marketing issues as discussed earlier. It could end up being Apple's only option. The 1.2ghz G5 exists NOW. Who can say that about a 1.2ghz 7457?

Here's the EETimes quote that I am using.

"Each G5 dissipates 97 watts, which generates so much heat that Apple had to design a new enclosure with four independently controlled thermal zones, each with its own fan." Not to argue semantics, but they are talking about each individual processor - if they were talking about the unit as a whole they wouldn't reference the enclosure in the way that they did above.

Hey, the EETimes could be wrong, but it is the best data I have. You stated above that "The Dual system probably does indeed run at 97 watts... total for 2 processors." Since this quote seems to be based on certain knowledge, do you have references to back that up besides the marketing document?

A prerelease marketing document can and usually does have mistakes - unfortunately no one can confirm this until the units themselves can be measured. Until then the EETimes article is the best and latest info I can find. If you have new info then please provide it.

The question is not whether the 1.2 Ghz 970 exists, it is whether it can run cool enough. One of the most obviously items of proof that a G5 laptop is not soon forthcoming is the fact that Jobs did not release it at the WWDC. Something THAT stunning is definitely going to be release by Steve.
post #202 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
HELLO

How the hell did this thread become fcuking 5 pages long?

This thread is so long for two reasons that i can see:

1. all we have is rumors and speculation. apple's security this time around is SOOOO good! have you noticed - no leaks, no pictures, no specs. just the clues from product run-out, powerbook prices reducing, some models available "7-10 days" etc. something is definitely up.

2. a model update is over due. last 15" update was November (8 months) and other models Jan 7th (6 months now). there are a lot of people expecting an update waiting to buy...
post #203 of 874
OK, I went digging through IBM's website, and found this pdf, but it is from (I believe) the Microprocessor Forum of 2002. Of particular interest is this image, on page 14:

Now, I'm not an expert on processors, but could it really more than double for a jump of about 10% in speed? Seems rather unlikely.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #204 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by chazmox

You stated above that "The Dual system probably does indeed run at 97 watts... total for 2 processors." Since this quote seems to be based on certain knowledge, do you have references to back that up besides the marketing document?

the references for 42W@1.8GHz i've seen are:

www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A2CE393ABF2CE99787256D21006AE8A2/$file/PPC970_MPF_Review.pdf

www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/A1387A29AC1C2AE087256C5200611780/$file/PPC970_MPF2002.pdf

http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html
post #205 of 874
I would love to come home tomorrow afternoon to something like this:

Quote:
From C|Net:

Apple unveils new PowerBooks

As industry insiders have long suspected, Apple finally updated its PowerBook line of portable notebook computers this morning with faster processors, faster graphics, and bringing the aluminum enclosure styling across the product line.

Click here for more details.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #206 of 874
Bastard!

I glanced at your post - just the part containing the Cnet reference - thought it was legit (but also thought "that's odd...it's Sunday") and went to cnet.com IMMEDIATELY.

Didn't notice your "I wish I'd come home tomorrow and..." lead-in.

Don't scare me like that again!

post #207 of 874
if you thought this thread was long...
there are another 5 pages on the same topic in another thread!
" how long before g5 Powerbooks?"
post #208 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Bastard!

I glanced at your post - just the part containing the Cnet reference - thought it was legit (but also thought "that's odd...it's Sunday") and went to cnet.com IMMEDIATELY.

Didn't notice your "I wish I'd come home tomorrow and..." lead-in.

Don't scare me like that again!

Haha pscates, a big eager now aren't we?

Heh, wouldn't surprise me if I ended up posting something like a C|Net link, I usually look at News.com regularly... though I'm sure others will have the usual "Apple Store down!!" blah blah blah threads beforehand.
What the problem is?
What the problem is?
post #209 of 874
Tomarrow? Tuesday? or Creative EXPO?
post #210 of 874
bauman and G5Power:

Thanks for the info - I had seen the ppt slide set, but not the other doc. However, these items are all from around the same time frame of 10/15/02. Would like to see numbers on production parts - the only ones I have seen are the EETimes numbers.
post #211 of 874
Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!

You're always
A day
Away!
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #212 of 874
To dream..... maybe someday it'll come true

Quote:
From C|Net:

Apple unveils new PowerBooks

As industry insiders have long suspected, Apple updated its line of PowerBook portable notebook computers this morning with faster processors, faster graphics, and an aluminum enclosure styling across the product line.

At the bottom, the highly popular 12-inch PowerBook now boasts a 1 GHz G4 processor. Added features to the 12-inch model include ATI's new Mobility 9600 graphics processor with 64 MB of RAM. Conspiculously absent, however, is the lack of a DVI output, which allows you to attach digital projectors and flat panel monitors; a feature that is endowed in its two bigger siblings. Also absent is the 12-inch model's lack of L3 cache. Unlike the midrange and high-end PowerBooks, Apple says the lack of L3 cache is more of heat concern, than marketing.

"L3 cache increases the heat output of the G4 processor, and when you're dealing with a tight space that the 12-inch PowerBook has inside, you really have to worry about the internal components overheating," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing.

Pricing remains the same on the 12-inch PowerBook, with $1,599 buying you the base model with 256 MB of RAM. A model with the "SuperDrive," Apple's DVD-R burner, sets you back $1,799 and also features 256 MB RAM standard.

"I think if you shop around, we are fairly competative with what we offer you standard," Joswiak notes. "If you see an attractive deal on the PC side, you have to look closely, because some of the reasons their pricing is low is because they offer lesser standard components, like a smaller hard drive, cheaper video graphics, and even less memory than 256 [MB]."

When new 12-inch and 17-inch models were unveiled at MacWorld San Francisco last January, Apple set a new design trend for its portables when they came encased in anodized aluminum, a new keyboard, built-in Bluetooth, faster Airport (802.11g) wireless networking, and an improved hinge design cued from Apple's iBook series. Many were left wondering what future lied ahead for the Titanium PowerBook which seemed old, even though it had been updated just two months earlier.

"The Titanium PowerBook has served us and our customers well," Joswiak explains. "We knew we couldn't update the 15-inch model in January because it was our only pro portable that could boot OS 9. We didn't want to upset customers who still needed performance for some of their legacy applications."

Now that major applications, including Quark, have been released native to OS X, the path is set in stone for a new 15.4-inch model, which can only boot OS X. The new 15.4-inch model acquires the stylings of it's two counterparts, and enters the midrange with its new widescreen display. The display, manufactured by ChiMei electronics and used presently by Dell and Acer, was widely suspected the replacement panel for the midrange model.

"The 15.4-inch display on our midrange PowerBook is stunning," says Greg Joswiak. "It has an improved contrast and backlight, and it is one of the best displays on any notebook, nevermind the best display on any of our portables."

Besides the 15.4-inch screen, the midrange PowerBook comes in two models, one with a combo DVD/CD-R optical drive, and a G4 processor running at 1.0 GHz, the another running at 1.25 GHz featuring the DVD burning SuperDrive. Both systems use a new 167 MHz front side bus, and both feature 512 MB of DDR SDRAM standard. They also feature built-in Bluetooth, built-in Airport Extreme (802.11g), and Apple's auto-sensing backlit keyboard. New to the PowerBook is an enhanced graphics processor from ATi, using the Mobility 9600, the top end 15.4-inch notebook carries an impressive 128 MB of video RAM.

Finally, the top-end, spacious 17-inch PowerBook gets into the action as well. Aside from the 1.25 GHz G4, it too, receives the new ATi Mobility 9600 video card with 128 MB of graphics memory.

"With Quartz Extreme and OS X, this PowerBook really screams," Joswiak adds. "We are still quite aways from seeing a G5 in a PowerBook, but the new 15.4- and 17-inch PowerBooks are definitely our best and fastest PowerBooks ever."

The pricing for the midrange PowerBooks remains the same, and the new 17-inch PowerBook receives a price cut, now available for $2,999. All models of PowerBooks are available immediately.
post #213 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
Tomarrow? Tuesday? or Creative EXPO?

CreativePro
post #214 of 874
DHagen, Great article and sounds like the best prediction so far, although I do not see the ATI in the 12 inch or 128 Meg of video ram in the 15 or 17 - although it is nice to dream!

One thing I was wondering is if Apple will just update the 15 to the Al feature set and adjust all the PB to 1Ghz ( and allow the size and the graphics cards to distinquish the models ).

I know it would be a disappointing update, but I do wonder if Motorola is really that close with the 7457. I used to work for Motorola and it's very hard to imagine them ahead of schedule on anything.

Could the 7455 be clocked to 1.25 Ghz in the 15 and 17 inch? Don't know...
post #215 of 874
DHagan's fantasy Cnet press release made me swoon a bit...

"Ah got the vapors, Colonel...".

Oh how I wish he had some sort of psychic insight and this was what was coming! KA-CHING!
post #216 of 874
Here's my take...either we'll see the new PowerBook(s) tomorrow, July 8th, or we will see them at MW Creative Expo thingy next Wednesday.
post #217 of 874
Damnit. I need a new 15" powerbook. I'm starting to get impatient.
post #218 of 874
Join el clubbo, amigo.

I'm about to start throwing and kicking things.
post #219 of 874
& I'm going to need a straight jacket soon!
post #220 of 874
If Apple reads these boards as had been claimed in the past...I hope they realize just how f***ing desperate people are for this new 15-incher....Give it to us Apple dammit!
post #221 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
If Apple reads these boards as had been claimed in the past...I hope they realize just how f***ing desperate people are for this new 15-incher....Give it to us Apple dammit!

How should I break this to you? Apple does not care if a few people who have nothing better to do with their time than complain about the PowerBook not being in an Aluminum enclosure are "desparate". They make computers as tools for people to do good things with, not for people to whine about future Apple products with.
All these worlds are belong to us, except Europa. Take off no zigs there.
post #222 of 874
Apple should put Pen input into its PowerBook line.
I am not a cheese doodle.
I am not a cheese doodle.
post #223 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

How should I break this to you? Apple does not care if a few people who have nothing better to do with their time than complain about the PowerBook not being in an Aluminum enclosure are "desparate". They make computers as tools for people to do good things with, not for people to whine about future Apple products with.

Your missing the point. The TI PowerBook is woefully outdated at this point. It's not just the Aluminum enclosure. I'm sure they're not moving any at this point as a result so they damn well better care!
post #224 of 874
It has regular Airport and no bluetooth, come on, Apple is out of regular Airport, and how can the 12" be better, it can't apple will update the 15" and it will be soon
post #225 of 874
Let's see...

The Ti PowerBook is missing the faster bus, faster memory and faster Airport connectivity, all of which the entry-level 12" PowerBook has had for 6 months now. It also lacks Firewire 800 and the backlit keyboard which the 17" PowerBook has had as well. Oh, and no built-in Bluetooth.

So yeah, I guess we have no reason to whine about it. <-- oozing sarcasm out of every pore...
post #226 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
So yeah, I guess we have no reason to whine about it.

You're more right than you know. Whining about it is a pointless waste of time. Why not just wait with anticipation? After all, the show formerly known as MWNY is next week.

When I bought my first PowerBook, I ordered a G4/500 (first generation) model - but the very next day, C|Net published an article stating that Apple was slated to upgrade the PowerBooks. I canceled the order, and re-placed it as a 667MHz. However, had that not happened right then, I certainly would not have whined about how out of date the PowerBooks were. Apple's selling them; therefore they're in-date.

And I still maintain it's best to have the last of a generation than the first.
post #227 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

You're more right than you know. Whining about it is a pointless waste of time. Why not just wait with anticipation? After all, the show formerly known as MWNY is next week.

I was waiting in anticipation for it ever since that last Ti PowerBook (1 Ghz/Superdrive) model was announced. I waited in anticipation from MWSF in January though WWDC in June. I am beyond anticipation at this point. The longer I wait the more I expect. They better have USB-2 on the new lineup if it's going to take this long.

Quote:

Apple's selling them; therefore they're in-date.

That's a funny way of seeing it. When the technology of a higher-end product falls behind that of a lower-end product I see it as being out of date, especially when the differences are so glaring.

Quote:

And I still maintain it's best to have the last of a generation than the first.

Maybe in this case that's not true as they must have been working on it for a very long time. In any event I'm not waiting for a 2nd revision. I'll but the first one as soon as it's announced. I'm using a PC laptop right now so you can imagine how anxious I am.
post #228 of 874
Ok, as everyone's quoting C|Net's take... (you can tell mine is real though from the cliche in the second paragraph)
Quote:
From C|Net:

Apple unveils Future of PowerBooks, iBooks
Industry in shock as Apple declares "Market filled"

Speaking to a packed MacWorld CreativePro audience, Greg Joswiak, Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing at Apple Computer announced the beleaguered computer maker was dropping all further sales of its popular PowerBook and iBook lines, after determining that there is nobody left to buy them.

"We actually sold our last iBook last week", explained Greg to a stunned audience. "We still have three others in stock, in case we made a mistake, but Mrs Miranda Sommerville, of Warsaw Drive, New Britain was the last person on our list of potential iBook buyers, and we really don't see any evidence that anyone else is planning to buy one. Sales of both our iBook and PowerBook lines have been so strong, people have simply assumed that they'll go on for ever, but in truth you can't sell the damned things to everyone."

Joswiak revealed that there are actually only 312 PowerBooks left, 207 of them the new 17" model. "There are exactly 192,012 people in the US who'd want a 17" PowerBook", he explained, "and all but 204 people have already bought one. The truth is, for everyone else, it's either too big to use as a notebook, or they wouldn't want a laptop anyway, or they wouldn't want a Mac. I mean, you just can't force people to buy stuff against their will, and one of the insanely great things Steve has done for us is tighten up our inventories, to the point that we don't make things unless we know how many people are going to buy to begin with. We have a list of the 303 people who'd still want a PowerBook, which model they'd want, and roughly when they'll be phoning in their orders or using our licenced "One Click" easy purchase system over the Internet."

Of the remaining PowerBooks, three are the obsolete Titanium 15.2" model. According to Apple's research, it's not just Apple's notepads that have hit a saturation point: Intel based laptops seem unlikely to be in demand beyond the 21st of August, at approximately lunchtime.

Joswiak revealed new machines were on the horizon to replace the revenue lost from the absense of laptops. "We have a Mac shaped like a toaster", he told an excited audience. "It actually toasts bread, thanks to an efficient heat routing system designed by Jonathan Ives, and uses four G5s, two per bread slot. It's really neat, we're the only company that does this, and it's a fully fledged computer that will not look out of place in the kitchen. We have a list of 27,384 people who will be buying this machine, and we expect to have them all sold by the 21st of December, some time in the afternoon."

Macintosh is 19 years old.
post #229 of 874
Waiting is hard to do. I don't have any reason to think that Joswiak will announce anything at MCP (didn't that used to mean male chauvinist pig?).

Apple's simply waiting for Mot to ramp up 7457 production. I'm sure everything else is ready. I'll bet the new PB15s are simply waiting for chip insertion. Probably a bunch have already been made and maybe they're already on a boat or maybe they're being stockpiled in stores. Maybe there will be a simple PR, maybe even tomorrow.

We're in Q4 and there are only 2 Macs in the Apple store's top 10 list: G5 dual is #3 and the PB12 is #5. Sure would be nice if Apple sold more PBs this quarter.

Aside from all the goodies we're hoping for, I'd also like to see a bit more battery life and a bit lower price. 8)
post #230 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Rolo

Waiting is hard to do. I don't have any reason to think that Joswiak will announce anything at MCP.

It is my hope that Apple just issues a press release and updates the website that day or maybe even the day before. Joswiak can simply go over the details of the new PowerBooks along with a rehash of the PowerMac G5 during the keynote. They could also have them on the show floor along with the PowerMacs. I just don't expect him to announce them during the keynote as there is nothing that exciting about them other than the fact we have been waiting fo so long. We know what to expect from the 17" model already.
post #231 of 874
They'll be announced at CreativePro... Wed, 7/16

So the leak will be on AppleStore Powerbook web page Monday 7/14 in the evening PST.

Z
post #232 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by zaz
They'll be announced at CreativePro... Wed, 7/16

You sound awfully sure about that How do you know this?
post #233 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by peharri
Joswiak revealed new machines were on the horizon to replace the revenue lost from the absense of laptops. "We have a Mac shaped like a toaster", he told an excited audience. "It actually toasts bread, thanks to an efficient heat routing system designed by Jonathan Ives, and uses four G5s, two per bread slot."

the dual 2GHz does look a bit like a toaster. don't think that will be in a laptop...

post #234 of 874
Good point with that pic... those heat sinks are huge... and people are saying they'll put that in a laptop.

As I've said before... IBM must have come in alot higher on the power consumption than previously thought.

Apple didn't put 9 fans and big heat sinks in as a neat selling feature... Fans and heat sinks don't sell computers.
post #235 of 874
While it is true about a 2.0GHz G5, the 1.2 at 1.1v consumes a skinny 19w. Now THAT could be incorporated into a PowerBook. I just don't think that the rest of the mobo is ready.
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #236 of 874
Quote:
Apple didn't put 9 fans and big heat sinks in as a neat selling feature... Fans and heat sinks don't sell computers.

apple think quietness will sell computers. large heat sinks for the powermacs and lots of low speed fans = whisper quiet.

the pic was a comment about the toaster pun. but as Rhumgod said above, there is a big difference in heat between a 92W dual 2.0 and a 19W single 1.2. to me the single 1.2 G5 seems similar in heat to the present 1Ghz G4.

apart from the potential heat argument, i haven't heard of any other reasons why apple couldn't put a G5 into a powerbook sooner rather than later. why is it that people are forecasting the G5 powerbook for 2004 rather than now?
post #237 of 874
Quote:

apple think quietness will sell computers. large heat sinks for the powermacs and lots of low speed fans = whisper quiet.

the pic was a comment about the toaster pun. but as Rhumgod said above, there is a big difference in heat between a 92W dual 2.0 and a 19W single 1.2. to me the single 1.2 G5 seems similar in heat to the present 1Ghz G4.

apart from the potential heat argument, i haven't heard of any other reasons why apple couldn't put a G5 into a powerbook sooner rather than later. why is it that people are forecasting the G5 powerbook for 2004 rather than now?
post #238 of 874
I think that a burt hand or a small fire is a fair price to pay for a G5 powerbook now.

They could package it with a iSafety kit with fire extingusher and ice pack
post #239 of 874
OMFG that is funnay.
post #240 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by G5power

Indeed... I've been asking that question a lot lately too...\
http://www.tcdesign.org/ - Mac News and Movie Reviews! Click, you won't be disappointed...

http://www.tcdesign.org/xtc/ - My Logo design service. I'm doing free logos for awhile so feel free to drop...
http://www.tcdesign.org/ - Mac News and Movie Reviews! Click, you won't be disappointed...

http://www.tcdesign.org/xtc/ - My Logo design service. I'm doing free logos for awhile so feel free to drop...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.