or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.

New PowerBooks tomorrow. - Page 2  

post #41 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by courtland80
36 new replies seems to be a lot of talk over absolutely no real information

No sh*t.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #42 of 874
Hey Soulcrusher, was there something wrong with this thread?

post #43 of 874
"36 new replies seems to be a lot of talk over absolutely no real information"

Shows how desperate we all are for the powerbooks (esp. the 15 inch) to be updated. There's a lot of us just waiting for a decent revision so we can open our wallets and spring for an aluminum 15 incher - hopefully one with a slightly faster processor. Apple's really drawn this one out for way too long - we've gone from a state of suspense to one of intense irritation.
post #44 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Hey Soulcrusher, was there something wrong with this thread?

well for his benefit i'll assume he has more solid information then apple changing their shipping dates, but perahps he wanted everyone to see it and not have ti be lost and have nobody care in that thread

though if he is just guessing or making an educated guess then u are correct that his thread should be there

man i should be a mod
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #45 of 874
This guys is just trying to get us all excited about nothing. Where are the facts? Well tomarrow is only 5 hours away. We'll have to see. I hope its true. I'm sure Apple could release a quiet update.
post #46 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
This guys is just trying to get us all excited about nothing. Where are the facts? Well tomarrow is only 5 hours away. We'll have to see. I hope its true. I'm sure Apple could release a quiet update.

it is already tomarrow at my house, cant wait till morning to see if it is true
post #47 of 874
Sure why not? One week after WWDC time for a subtle powerbook update. I Concur. You do concur? "Two mice fell into a bucket of cream..."

LOL
post #48 of 874
Hope so...

...then I can stop my nightly chakra dance, incantaitons and didgeridoo rituals.

I now NEED a 15" PB.... but this is the WRONG time to buy...

so my meta-spiritual production regiment must continue!

post #49 of 874
I ordered a 12" PowerBook Thursday night and it's supposed to ship out tomorrow when FedEx picks it up. I've got a tracking number and everything.

Thank God I got it ordered before the new ones came so I save $200...if it's the same price as current, I'll be exchanging.
post #50 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by zaz
Hope so...

...then I can stop my nightly chakra dance, incantaitons and didgeridoo rituals.

I now NEED a 15" PB.... but this is the WRONG time to buy...

so my meta-spiritual production regiment must continue!

Cool idea. We could get some new agers to help us design a PowerBook dance we could all do to help speed the appearance of new product. Probably more productive than hitting refresh at AI all night.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #51 of 874
What would be really hillarious is if this actually happened....
http://www.tcdesign.org/ - Mac News and Movie Reviews! Click, you won't be disappointed...

http://www.tcdesign.org/xtc/ - My Logo design service. I'm doing free logos for awhile so feel free to drop...
http://www.tcdesign.org/ - Mac News and Movie Reviews! Click, you won't be disappointed...

http://www.tcdesign.org/xtc/ - My Logo design service. I'm doing free logos for awhile so feel free to drop...
post #52 of 874
My girfriend keeps going on at me for the fulll 15" inches. I keep saying 'manana' too!
post #53 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
possibly because powerbooks need to be updated and everyone wnats this...even if it isn't tru...but hopefully is

*Need*? Get used to them not doing much for the next year or so... unless someone develops some cooler chips.
B&W G3/350 22" La Cie II, 12" PowerBook, 67 Mustang, 96 Honda Pan European
post #54 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardf12

Ha-ha! Great post buddy!
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #55 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Clive
*Need*? Get used to them not doing much for the next year or so... unless someone develops some cooler chips.

yes need...im not saying they are bad, but thy are outdated as probooks with the 970 out...though i suppect it will probably be a year or whenever the .09µ shrink is done
post #56 of 874
The powerbooks which will not be appearing tommorow will sport a 1-1.3 ghz 7457s, 200 mhz mpx bus and cost $100 less than current models.

And I have no basis for this speculation.
Apple's I've owned: AppleTV2; Ipad2; Iphone4; Iphone3; 13" 2010 MBP; 13" CoreDuo MB; 14" iBook (1 Ghz g4); Powerbase 240; PB 5300; Newton; PB 800; Mac LC; Mac plus; Mac 512; Apple II+.
Apple's I've owned: AppleTV2; Ipad2; Iphone4; Iphone3; 13" 2010 MBP; 13" CoreDuo MB; 14" iBook (1 Ghz g4); Powerbase 240; PB 5300; Newton; PB 800; Mac LC; Mac plus; Mac 512; Apple II+.
post #57 of 874
Doesn't appear as though we're going to be seeing them today...it's 8:00 AM EDT and the store is still up
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #58 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
"Two mice fell into a bucket of cream..."

Oh that was such a good movie!

My 2¢ Perhaps apple wanted to release the G5 powermacs and let that get all over the news then when the hype started to die down lets release new powerbooks perhaps G5 powerbooks and get some more free advertising from the news.

I still doubt it will happen today though...
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
''i'm an extremist, i have to deal with my own extreme personality and i walk the fine line of wanting to die and wanting to be the ruler of all.''
post #59 of 874
Guys...

1. G5 towers JUST released...NO WAY IN HELL are they going to roll out a G5 PowerBook within a week (or even a month) of that event. It's called "stealing thunder" or something like that.

2. IF (and that's a REALLY big "if") a G5 PowerBook was going to be announced, do we not think that Steve himself would be the one doing it? And if so, do we see any soon-to-come events where Steve is definitely, no-questions-asked slated to make an appearance or give a keynote? Maybe there is, I don't know.

3. I think, as it stands right now in its current form and with the engineering/cooling issues, a G5 going into a PowerBook is about as likely as dual G4s going into the iPod.

4. There is no 4 because the first three above pretty much say it all.

In other words, if anyone thinks they're just going to quietly roll out a G5 PowerBook within a week or so of the towers and just hype it via press release and no big fanfare...well, I've got some land in the Everglades you might be interested in...
post #60 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
1. G5 towers JUST released...NO WAY IN HELL are they going to roll out a G5 PowerBook within a week (or even a month) of that event. It's called "stealing thunder" or something like that.

Paul: I don't think anybody here is talking about a PowerBook G5. Anybody in their right mind realizes that the next PowerBook revision will still contain a G4 processor. On the upside, it's just as obvious that the PowerBook G4 is going to be announced, and ship, very soon.

Personally, I don't put any faith in a PowerBook announcement today (Monday, 6/30) or tomorrow (Tuesday, 7/1). Seven days after the PowerMac G5 announcement is too close. However, next week looks more likely to me. Apple could announce feature-bumped 12-, 15- and 17-inch G4 PowerBooks next Monday (7/7) or Tuesday (7/8). Two weeks would give the G5 hype time to settle into people's minds before public attention moves on to the 1.2Ghz PowerBook G4 line.

Either way, I'm waiting for the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook. And I continue to be torn between (A) a fast (G5 or Wintel) desktop and slower laptop (my current iBook/500) combination or (B) a fast laptop (12- or 15-inch PowerBook) with external larger monitor (possibly shared with a slow Wintel desktop for my wife).

If I may revive Mandricard's wise words: Hope springs eternal.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #61 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Omek
What would be really hillarious is if this actually happened....

Yeah, just post every Monday "Something's going to happen tomorrow", sooner or later you'll be right.

Actually, there could be a hint for this Tuesday. Tomorrow is 1 July, supposedly there will be no more OS9 booting towers after the end of June... so perhaps the G4s will disappear from the store and new PowerBooks will appear.
post #62 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
yes need...im not saying they are bad, but thy are outdated as probooks with the 970 out...though i suppect it will probably be a year or whenever the .09µ shrink is done

There's going to be nothing other than G4 PowerBooks this year.
post #63 of 874
I thought that person over MacRumors who got the "unexpected delay until July 7th" notice made that the week we would see new PowerBooks. That seemed logical to me. When soulcrusher said tomorrow new PowerBooks, I was like "What? Based on?" At least the MacRumors poster gives us something to go on.
post #64 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
Paul: I don't think anybody here is talking about a PowerBook G5. Anybody in their right mind realizes that the next PowerBook revision will still contain a G4 processor.

Scroll up some and read through the thread.

And take a look at the other PowerBook-related thread in this forum, talking about G5 PowerBooks. Yes, some people DO indeed believe they're around the corner, otherwise I wouldn't have said what I did.

I wasn't just trying to be a mean party-pooper.

post #65 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I'll let Junkyard Dawg suck his own D***K if this becomes true

Is this sort of crass talk necessary?
post #66 of 874
Macrumors.com has a story about New PowerBook model ID's .

New PowerBook Model ID's?
Friday June 27, 2003 01:17 AM

One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2
PowerBook5,2
PowerBook6,3
PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1
17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1
15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #67 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

New to ai are we?
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #68 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Scroll up some and read through the thread.
I wasn't just trying to be a mean party-pooper.

OTOH, I was a mean party-pooper intentionally.

It's crazy how hopeful and optimistic (some) people are regarding a G5 PowerBook. OTOH, since I want to buy a new PowerBook in the next couple of months, I'm going through a realistic-pessimistic phase by necessity. (I think) I'll buy whatever Apple ships as the next revision of the 12-inch PB.

Escher
post #69 of 874
awright its monday and no new powerbooks and i was right and lock this thread.
post #70 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Nothing is necessary.
post #71 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
Macrumors.com has a story about New PowerBook model ID's .

New PowerBook Model ID's?
Friday June 27, 2003 01:17 AM

One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2
PowerBook5,2
PowerBook6,3
PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1
17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1
15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2

O.K. If the 12" PowerBook is now PowerBook 6,1 and soon to be 6,2 and 6,3; plus the 17" PowerBook is now 5,1 and soon to be 5,2 and 5,3; where does that leave the 15" PowerBook? It doesn't seem to have a new number associated with it. That would mean to me that it wasn't going to be update soon at all, or that drivers (or whatever) have not been written for Panther yet.

It's still a waiting game if you ask me.

TBoxman
post #72 of 874
Someone stated on another forum that the 14 inch iBook , and the 12 inch iBook share designations. Screen size doen't apply to the designation, but mobo differences do...

Therefore, it's likely that the 15 incher will share the mobo of the 17 ...

I wonder if the 7457 can just "drop in" to the existing mobo on the 17 (in manufacturing terms)

If not, I'd say it's 3.3....

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #73 of 874
Hopefully any new update would at LEAST have the 17's mobo. A 133mhz bus is sad. The 15 is starting to look very sad. And the 17 for the price is very sad indeed with only 1ghz. How bout those spare 1.42ghz G4s that Apple isn't selling anymore, eh? I bet they'll move to 1.25 for the 15, maybe 1.42, and 1.25 or 1.42 for the PB. Although the PB G4's are different than the desktop G4s right?

G5 PowerBooks we'll be lucky to see those next year folks. Calm down on that.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #74 of 874
I really hate you guys. If Apple doesn't announce new PowerBooks tomorrow, you'll say they're coming out next week, and I'll believe you because I'm just that gullible. Will someone please kill me now? Your mad, never-ending speculation is going to drive me insane.
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
14" iBook
700MHz G3
640MB RAM

Kecksy's Korner
post #75 of 874
So... is "today" over yet?
post #76 of 874
not until tomorrow

post #77 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by serrano
Nothing is necessary.

Starbucks Espresso Ice Cream.
Limoncello
De Loach Zinfindel
Ferrari 360 Modena
Any film by Frank Capra
Any record by JJ Cale

I think that completely disproves your point.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

"What's your point?" ~ Mark Solomon...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

"What's your point?" ~ Mark Solomon...
post #78 of 874
Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but....

This article over at MacCentral Apple reverted to an older motherboard on the new low-end Power Mac G4 so it could boot OS 9 and OS X. Could Apple being doing the same thing with the 15-inch PowerBook -- meaning the it is the "bridge" system; only one still able to boot OS 9?
post #79 of 874
People REALLY need to get over OS 9. If it is, essentially, holding up the advancement of certain hardware, then I'm gonna be MAD!

post #80 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but....

This article over at MacCentral Apple reverted to an older motherboard on the new low-end Power Mac G4 so it could boot OS 9 and OS X.

That article is somewhat incorrect. Apple has had the 1.25GHz system when the MDD were shipping. It was just on a different page (with a title of OS 9 ready or some shit). So it is not that they are "reverting" anything. This machine has been around for awhile...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.