or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New PowerBooks tomorrow. - Page 19  

post #721 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by onit
According to the SEC form itself Q3 ended June 28. So, if I understand correctly, we're halfway through Q4... and no 7457 yet...

Apple's financial year is offset by three months: Q1 begins in October, which is is Q4 in any other context.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #722 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Apple's financial year is offset by three months: Q1 begins in October, which is is Q4 in any other context.

Think different ...
Account different ....
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
post #723 of 874
Please .... the 18th

It's my birthday ...
post #724 of 874
Why does the Apple Store have -
12" 3-5 day shipping
15" 5-7 day shipping
17" same day

Normally (i.e., not perfect) the wait factor is a good indicator of new products. My rationalization (because I want and believe new powerbooks are coming soon) - the 12" and 15" are changing form, whereas the 17" stays the same. So if you order a 12" or 15", Apple doesn't know if you want the cheaper current form, or the same price new form. Whereas the 17" will stay the same form, it will just be faster, so there is really no choice. (This argument all assumes that Apple wants to minimize returns from people who bought right before the new release, and the wait factor relates to this.)

Help me here - I'm just making this up on the fly
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #725 of 874
I sure am hoping it happens next week. I need to get me a 12" powerbook and I am waiting it out until the upgrade. Then I'll have to wait 2 months after that.
post #726 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by newwavedave
I sure am hoping it happens next week. I need to get me a 12" powerbook and I am waiting it out until the upgrade. Then I'll have to wait 2 months after that.

Why another 2 months?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #727 of 874
I'm optimistic of the release of the new PBs next week, especially the 12" (since that will prob the one I'll be getting). Since it usually takes Apple about 4 - 6 weeks to actually ship the products, Apple might ship the PBs w/Pather, wouldn't that be interesting...
post #728 of 874
I'm getting pessimistic fast on the possibility of the 18th or 19th. None of the rumor sites have added additional info as the time draws near. Suggests to me they don't have their own sources and were just regurgitating one site's speculation.
post #729 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by jwdawso
Why does the Apple Store have -
12" 3-5 day shipping
15" 5-7 day shipping
17" same day

Normally (i.e., not perfect) the wait factor is a good indicator of new products. My rationalization (because I want and believe new powerbooks are coming soon) - the 12" and 15" are changing form, whereas the 17" stays the same. So if you order a 12" or 15", Apple doesn't know if you want the cheaper current form, or the same price new form. Whereas the 17" will stay the same form, it will just be faster, so there is really no choice. (This argument all assumes that Apple wants to minimize returns from people who bought right before the new release, and the wait factor relates to this.)

Help me here - I'm just making this up on the fly

Wait factors don't mean a whole lot. Just read up a few pages in the thread when folks were wetting their pants last time shipping wait went past 2 days...

No word from the press on a scheduled event means nothing major for another week minimum. Quiet speed bumps could come totally without warning, but who knows.
post #730 of 874
http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml


LOOK LOOK LOOK there almost all red!!!
post #731 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml


LOOK LOOK LOOK there almost all red!!!

Yeah, but they aren't as drastic for the 12- or 17-inch models, which *might* suggest bye-bye 15-inch. Hopefully not...but it worries me enough to have say it.

There's also this word over at macrumors:

Quote:
IngramMicro PowerBook Stock
Friday August 15, 2003 05:54 PM
IngramMicro (major distributer) has no 15" PowerBooks in stock and very low stocks of 12" PowerBooks.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #732 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Yeah, but they aren't as drastic for the 12- or 17-inch models, which *might* suggest bye-bye 15-inch. Hopefully not...but it worries me enough to have say it.


*might* suggest - your worry is beyond reason. Get over it.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #733 of 874
Um no. I really dont think apple would discontinue such a standard size laptop. That is absurd!!!
post #734 of 874
I agree... it IS absurd for Apple to discontinue the 15" PB... I mean look at how popular it was when it first came out. I can not be discontinued, It's just too good a product.
Furthermore, the PB revs better be pretty freakin' good. They've taken long enough!!! For the amount of time they've taken to be revised, one would think that they're going to be G5's... but I really don't see that happening. I just think we're getting really good G4's. Perhaps dualies?

Hey, I'm just keeping my dreams at the level. realistic
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
"Any idiot can make things complicated. It takes a genius to make them simple" -Albert Einstein
post #735 of 874
Agreed. The outrageous rumor that has gone around that the 15" PowerBook might be discontinued is completely nuts. I, for one think Apple made a mistake not upgrading it in the spring with specs equal to the 17" model. I can think of no good explanation for this, except that Apple apparently didn't want to change the case and other features without a speed bump at the same time. (Bad explanation.)
post #736 of 874
People seem to be using ship times a lot as a tool for predicting when new PowerBooks are coming out. It seems like no one has mentioned that the times could be a result of RAM shortages. Take a look at the current ship times:

15" with 1 Stick of 512: 3-5 days
15" with 2 Sticks of 256: 5-7 days
17" with 1 Stick of 512: same day
17" with 2 Sticks of 512: 1-3 days
all 12" configs are: 3-5 days

The differences in days would make sense since each PowerBook model uses a different type of RAM.

So it seems that the availability of 5-7 days on the 15 is not entirely accurate. The lowest ship time should be considered the availability of the PowerBook itself.
post #737 of 874
As i posted earlier about the red dots at macprices.com on the shipping dates. It seems as though stocks keep going down amazon who had carried bothe models thuis far has a red dot under the 1ghx model. PB's have to come next week. If they dont come next week I wass thinking about just getting the current Ti because i like those anyway, but they might be hard to find.
post #738 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by El Berserko
People seem to be using ship times a lot as a tool for predicting when new PowerBooks are coming out. It seems like no one has mentioned that the times could be a result of RAM shortages. Take a look at the current ship times:

15" with 1 Stick of 512: 3-5 days
15" with 2 Sticks of 256: 5-7 days
17" with 1 Stick of 512: same day
17" with 2 Sticks of 512: 1-3 days
all 12" configs are: 3-5 days

The differences in days would make sense since each PowerBook model uses a different type of RAM.

So it seems that the availability of 5-7 days on the 15 is not entirely accurate. The lowest ship time should be considered the availability of the PowerBook itself.

Maybe so, but BTO shipping time is typically longer than the standard configuration. The 15" with one 512 is surprising, but the 17" is not.... As with any forward indicator, take it with a grain of salt!
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #739 of 874
This might've been asked, but WHAT, exactly, makes us all look to this coming week?



I mean, is there ANY sort of hard evidence or a semi-reliable leak? Or this all based on you guys just looking at shipping times...



Because, as I said earlier in this thread, your track record about predicting the arrival of this 15" PowerBook is pretty much shit.



So forgive me if I ain't buying in to the "Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!" hysteria.

That way, if it DOES happen I get a nice surprise. If it doesn't happen, I won't have to join a few of you in flinging myself off a roof.

post #740 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
This might've been asked, but WHAT, exactly, makes us all look to this coming week?


All of this is based on a macbidouille.com note mentioning it as a possible roll out time for the new PBs. One or two other sites sort of back that up but there's no way to tell if they have unique sources or if the rumor is coming from the same source. We'll know in a few days.

There's no doubt that PBs are getting scarce in the channel and that they're overdue for an overhaul, especially the 15".
post #741 of 874
I think that Apple won't leave the 'shipping channel' dry, and then wait to september to unleash new PBs. Then no one would buy a PB for a month.
post #742 of 874
It looks like the only thing we can do is wait and hope... But the only thing that makes me feel uncomfortable, is that we've been waiting to long and there's no certainty about the 19th announcement. Don't u think?

\
Angel
Angel
post #743 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
It looks like the only thing we can do is wait and hope... But the only thing that makes me feel uncomfortable, is that we've been waiting to long and there's no certainty about the 19th announcement. Don't u think?

\

That's true, we don't know. Things pop up, though, like this MacNews item that gives us hope. They still think new PBs will be announced Monday or Tuesday. Sure would be nice.
post #744 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates

So forgive me if I ain't buying in to the "Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!" hysteria.

Pscates, are you not aware of the fact that if you get alot of people to believe something is true, then it IS true?

Where's your faith, man?

Now back to my mob chant... "Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"


"Everybody! "Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"
"Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"
"Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"

""Tyu... come on guys..."

MSKR
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
post #745 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Masker
Pscates, are you not aware of the fact that if you get alot of people to believe something is true, then it IS true?

Where's your faith, man?

Now back to my mob chant... "Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"


"Everybody! "Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"
"Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"
"Tyooosss daaaay, tyoooos day"

""Tyu... come on guys..."

MSKR

How are you pronouncing Tuesday?? Seems like it should be just "Tooozzz daaay".
PB 17" 1.67Ghz
1.5 GB/ 100GB
Dell 2405FPW
PB 17" 1.67Ghz
1.5 GB/ 100GB
Dell 2405FPW
post #746 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
The channel is not empty.

Apple has already missed Back To School sales.

The 7457 is still not ready.

If new PB and iMacs are "press released" next week, what the hell is Steve going to talk about for two hours in Paris?

Excuse me? The very last thing Steve-O wants to talk about is the fact that underpowered and overdue updates have *finally* come to the powerbook line. It's an embarrassment to Apple, and he surely will be glad to let the update happen quietly so as not to draw attention to the fiasco.

You are correct, though - Apple has missed the Back to School sales almost completely. The only ones still hanging on for one are the ones who read rumor sites (or the ones who don't mind paying too much for outdated product).

I'll be interested to see what is offered on the 19th. If it's a good enough upgrade, I'll bite. If not, I'll save my money and keep using my ancient thinkpad until the G5 appears.
post #747 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by chomsky

You are correct, though - Apple has missed the Back to School sales almost completely. The only ones still hanging on for one are the ones who read rumor sites (or the ones who don't mind paying too much for outdated product).

Hey I'll bite. I agree about the comment that Apple has missed the back to school sales to a degree. I'm one of those fanatics that are waiting till the last possible moment. University classes start 1 week from Monday. I figure I can get by for the first couple of weeks with just a portable drive. I will try to take it to classes and then back home on the weekends. If I have to I will break down and by an older power book but I could possibly make it till Paris before I absolutely would have to give in. I can't make it till next year and the G5 in its current state is too large to lug around. javascript:smilie('')
javascript:smilie('')

Apple I need an update even a silent one.javascript:smilie('\\\')
javascript:smilie('\\\')
Remember no matter where you go there you are.
Remember no matter where you go there you are.
post #748 of 874
There better be new Powerbooks on monday or tuesday or I don't know what I'll do! Are you listening Stevie-J? Are you??
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #749 of 874
I don't own a mac...yet. I ordered a 12" PowerBook from the Educational Store at the university I'll be attending in September. I ordered it two weeks ago and when I asked why I hadn't gotten in yet they told me they had run out of 12" PB w/ Combo Drive and would not be shipping any new stock until August 21, 2003. Lets just hope that new stock is UPGRADED POWAHBOOKS!!!
post #750 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by atek
I don't own a mac...yet. I ordered a 12" PowerBook from the Educational Store at the university I'll be attending in September. I ordered it two weeks ago and when I asked why I hadn't gotten in yet they told me they had run out of 12" PB w/ Combo Drive and would not be shipping any new stock until August 21, 2003. Lets just hope that new stock is UPGRADED POWAHBOOKS!!!

Similar story at my campus...I think they are coming.
post #751 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by NEMESIS
<snip> ...I think they are coming.

A dazzling display of Obvia-Mastery! Karnac says: YES!
My turn! I predict Christmas is coming! </sarcasm>
post #752 of 874
My brother was in college for four years and has one more semester to go because his credits didn't transfer over for everything he needs from spain. I...er, he can still get the edu discount right? There is no 4 yr limit or anything?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #753 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
My brother was in college for four years and has one more semester to go because his credits didn't transfer over for everything he needs from spain. I...er, he can still get the edu discount right? There is no 4 yr limit or anything?

Actually... I don't think they really check anything. Your address doesn't have to be a campus one. They basically just ask you which school you go to.

Now morally...
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #754 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
My brother was in college for four years and has one more semester to go because his credits didn't transfer over for everything he needs from spain. I...er, he can still get the edu discount right? There is no 4 yr limit or anything?

All you need is a student ID...beyond that, they don't ask anything. I don't think they ask for any proof at all if you order it online.
post #755 of 874
Just think, it may have taken this thread some 750 - 800 posts for the title of this thread to be true. I'm longing for the day when this thread meets its maker.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #756 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by AirSluf
A dazzling display of Obvia-Mastery! Karnac says: YES!
My turn! I predict Christmas is coming! </sarcasm>


That way I cant be wrong. PS I think your right about the christmas thing.
post #757 of 874
post #758 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by gsxrboy
Think Secret have had a say...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustpowerbooks.html

In Europe the standard 15" Ti went from "same day" to 5-7 days!
post #759 of 874
it's gunna be tuesday for sure. FOR SURE. definately. absolutely. indubitably.



edit: and tomorrow this thread's title will finally be accurate. hurrah!
<shameless plug>
http://zip.to/tenthousandinthreemonths/
</shameless plug>
<shameless plug>
http://zip.to/tenthousandinthreemonths/
</shameless plug>
post #760 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by atek
[...] UPGRADED POWAHBOOKS!!!

Let all warriors of the POWAH do a upgrade dance to honour the great gods of POWAHBOOK! May the POWAH be with you!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.