or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.

New PowerBooks tomorrow. - Page 20  

post #761 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by gsxrboy
Think Secret have had a say...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustpowerbooks.html

You know, one thing in that article makes no sense...

"Apple earlier this month wrapped up development of revised PowerBook models, sources confirmed to Think Secret."

This is totally bogus. No way they wrapped up development, sent the design to Taiwan, fabbed a couple thousand or so, and now have them ready to sell. In three weeks. Further, let me get this straight...it took them nearly 1 year to redesign the 15" pbook? Nearly 9 months to upgrade the 17" model? Riiiiiggggghhhhttttt. If it has taken this long, maybe we really will see a 970 based POWAHbook.

While TS has a good track record, and it is certainly believable that the POWAHbooks will be released this week, I think this is just garbage reasoning so Nick can hide his source...or something.

I really need a POWAHbook, so the sooner they come out, the sooner I get to send Steve a little more of my money. Can't wait!
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
"Michael Dell is the greatest spare-parts distributor out there" Scott McNealy, CEO Sun
post #762 of 874
Well I won't be getting much work done tomorrow, I'll be sitting with a credit card refreshing the store ever 30 seconds.

Or maybe I should just refresh AI ever minute...I know there will be a post if the apple store goes down

(No work getting done, whats new haha)
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #763 of 874
so now that they already put the g5 thingy up and announced the release of dvd studio pro, where does that leave the powerbook? Could they still release it later today or tomorrow? Why wouldn't they just put it up as the same time as all this other stuff? Does this mean Paris??? Does anyone know??????!?!?!????

post #764 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by psychobass213
so now that they already put the g5 thingy up and announced the release of dvd studio pro, where does that leave the powerbook? Could they still release it later today or tomorrow? Why wouldn't they just put it up as the same time as all this other stuff? Does this mean Paris??? Does anyone know??????!?!?!????

Somebody needs some valium. But I am also slightly curious if they'd do two releases right after each other.
post #765 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by discstickers
Actually... I don't think they really check anything. Your address doesn't have to be a campus one. They basically just ask you which school you go to.

Now morally...

"Morally", some of this crap shouldn't be so ridiculously expensive. Any way any of us can save a few bucks (while STILL getting a Mac AND lining Apple's pockets at the same time) is fair. Besides, what are we talking about? $100-150 or so? $200 at the absolute most? Isn't like it's some honkin' $84% discount, for crying out loud.

I'm not opposed to anyone doing it.

Besides, I'm a "student of life", so there. Yes, my GPA really sucks, but that's a whole other thread.

post #766 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
...I'm a "student of life", so there. Yes, my GPA really sucks, but that's a whole other thread...

Haha...I'll be using that one from now on.
post #767 of 874
Quote:
"Morally", some of this crap shouldn't be so ridiculously expensive. Any way any of us can save a few bucks (while STILL getting a Mac AND lining Apple's pockets at the same time) is fair. Besides, what are we talking about? $100-150 or so? $200 at the absolute most? Isn't like it's some honkin' $84% discount, for crying out loud.

I'm not opposed to anyone doing it.

There's one in every crowd.
post #768 of 874
To me the most interesting bit of info from ThinkSecret is this:
Quote:
Q16 and Q41 will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models.

A special variant of Jaguar for 7457s? I can't imagine why. Maybe IBM was 'sandbagging' a bit with their low-power 970s? Hmmm?
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #769 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by 709

A special variant of Jaguar for 7457s? I can't imagine why. Maybe IBM was 'sandbagging' a bit with their low-power 970s? Hmmm?

If that were the case I'll buy two. Also would make sense that on ly teh 15" and 17" are being updated to G5's becuase the 12" is too small for the heat until the .09
post #770 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
There's one in every crowd.

What do you mean? Care to elaborate?

I buy software (even shareware utilities I don't HAVE to, but I use and enjoy and WANT to buy: Transmit, SnapzProX, Art Directors Toolkit, etc.).

I buy extended warranties. I buy accessories and doo-dads (many Apple branded).

I'm somehow evil for trying to save a few hundred bucks on a larger-than-normal purchase, taking the above into account? I don't know...I'm asking. For the record, I HAVEN'T gone the "education discount" route, okay?. And chances are, I won't. I like walking into the Apple Store and walking out with a cool box. And I don't have a student ID to show anyone at the register, so I couldn't do it anyway, see?

But if I did, is that like buying stolen Macs out of the trunk of a car in an alley somewhere? I'm not one of those "warez" guys, nor do I scour eBay looking for obviously scammed gear/merchandise.

What's the "one in every crowd" business, especially if you don't know much about me?

If you're going to fling out such a pithy zinger, at least fill in the blanks.
post #771 of 874
Am I the 70,000th view of this thread? Yippee!
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
Proud member of the Reality-based Community.
post #772 of 874
Quote:

I buy software (even shareware utilities I don't HAVE to, but I use and enjoy and WANT to buy: Transmit, SnapzProX, Art Directors Toolkit, etc.).

I'm somehow evil for trying to save a few hundred bucks on a larger-than-normal purchase, taking the above into account? I don't know...I'm asking. For the record, I HAVEN'T gone the "education discount" route, okay?. And chances are, I won't. I like walking into the Apple Store and walking out with a cool box. And I don't have a student ID to show anyone at the register, so I couldn't do it anyway, see?

But if I did, is that like buying stolen Macs out of the trunk of a car in an alley somewhere? I'm not one of those "warez" guys, nor do I scour eBay looking for obviously scammed gear/merchandise.

What's the "one in every crowd" business, especially if you don't know much about me?

ok, so how is this not morally and ethically cut and dry?!

---------------
"Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):

Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
Printers - One per year
Displays - Two per year
Software - Two per year

Agreement
I agree that I am a member of one of the defined groups above eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Computer, Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use. "
-----------------

I don't see anything in there about getting the discount if you pay for third-party shareware, or Apple "Doo-dads". Maybe I'm missing something?

In every legal sense, someone who does not qualify for this discount, but uses it anyway, is stealing $100, $150, whatever, from Apple. If you're ok with that, fine, go ahead. But don't try to pretend that it's not wrong, or search for approval from AI posters to make you feel justified.
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #773 of 874
Okay then. Cut and dry. I shall not do it (don't ever recall saying I WAS).

Some people seem to be easily able to bend stuff and justify anything. Didn't want to get reamed by the very people who own bootleg Photoshop 7...

I'm quite aware of those education buyer rules.

Here's a scenario to put into your moral/ethical blender: I just bought my friend (who IS a student...see the thread in General Discussion) a brand new iBook, 15GB iPod and AirPort card from the Atlanta Apple store 2 weeks ago.

However, it was a surprise for her (she was out of town) and I was able to take advantage of the Georgia tax holiday thing. No sales tax, so that was cool.

So it was a gift FOR a student (but since she was on the other side of the country and it was meant to be a surprise anyway), I wasn't able to use a student discount.

Now, what would be the rule on this: when I go to buy my PowerBook, what if she rode down to Atlanta with me and showed HER card and helped me with this purchase? She's currently pursuing her Masters at UTC (University of Tennesse at Chattanooga).

It's like "since we couldn't use the discount on her iBook purchase, could we use it for the PowerBook for me?".

That's a legit question. And I'm JUST ASKING, so knock it off with any snideness or flames. I'm genuinely curious...
post #774 of 874
BTW, concentricity, "looking for approval" from anyone at AI is not something I'd do.

Relax. It ain't going to happen anyway. Put down your judgement stick, all of you.

By the way, Apple "doodads" are subject to discount, I believe. Saw a few listed.
post #775 of 874
Quote:

<off-topic>
Well, if you read your post that I quoted when I made the comment; you basically said cheating is fair and you're not opposed to anyone doing it. I personally am opposed to those who lie and cheat to get what they want.

Then, you come back defending yourself saying you'd never do it. Not because you wouldn't but because you don't have a student ID, and you can't.

Please excuse the pre-judgement, and the off-topic remarks.</off-topic>
post #776 of 874
Yeah, I said I wouldn't do it because I don't have a card. I'm not a student, so I couldn't do it! If I WAS a student, it wouldn't be an issue then, would it?

I'm talking about people who would know how to angle it or fake an ID or whatever. Maybe they know something?

I don't have an "in" anyway, except the scenario noted above ("payback" from a friend's gift).

Where's the line on that, since a legitimate cash purchase (for a student) WAS made? That is the one, lone scenario I'd be genuinely curious about. Apple wouldn't be losing money, it would be more like a time-based transfer.

Again, just genuinely curious.

A good deed where I couldn't use a discount, even though it was for a student. Could said student - in a gesture of gratitude - help out on the other side? Is that a horrible thing, considering I paid full price for all her stuff ($1900)?

Perhaps I'll simply enroll in a course or two (Ethics, perhaps? ) at the local community college. That way, everyone can rest easy: me, you guys, Apple. I can take an automotive class and maybe a word processing one?
post #777 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by 709

Anytime a new computer is released by Apple it requires a new build of the OS. That is why people sometimes have trouble installing the OS. They buy a new computer and try to install an off-the-shelf OS and find it doesn't install. Generally, on a Mac you can only install an OS which is newer than the hardware.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #778 of 874
The oft quoted truism of "A broken clock is right twice a day" has never seemed more true than today.

Go quietly into the night, dear thread.
post #779 of 874
Nothing like fueling the fire. Here's another "confirmation".
post #780 of 874
Wow!

But what's that part about the "poor nVidia support for Apple"?
post #781 of 874
I think we all realize the 'books are coming.

My burning question is: How much???
post #782 of 874
Quote:
Wow!

Um... if you havent noticed nvidea cards suck. ATI is a world better
post #783 of 874
Quote:
Wow!

I have a GForceTi and the drivers are from June 2002. That's the best they can do (and it cost $400)?, Nvidiasucks...
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #784 of 874
All I want is 15" AlBook with backlit keyboard...anything else is just gravy
post #785 of 874
Well, I HAVEN'T noticed, actually. I don't do games or any sort of 3D/animation type of stuff, so maybe I won't?

Maybe I haven't noticed any nVidia suckitude just because it doesn't affect what I do?

post #786 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by ast3r3x
All I want is 15" AlBook with backlit keyboard...anything else is just gravy

I think it'll probably have that...I hope.
There's so much anticipation for this release that I fear many may be let down.
If it's "merely" a speed bumped 1.25 GHz G4, I wonder how many people will still hold off until PB's are equipped with a G5 chip.
post #787 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
I think it'll probably have that...I hope.
There's so much anticipation for this release that I fear many may be let down.
If it's "merely" a speed bumped 1.25 GHz G4, I wonder how many people will still hold off until PB's are equipped with a G5 chip.

If it's just a speed bump. I'll hold off until the G5... might anyway.
post #788 of 874
I won't hold off. I'll buy now, and then next summer get either a G5 tower or PBook...depends on how I like having a PBook instead of a tower.
post #789 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo ...

Because it is a PowerBook it can't be "merely" a speed bump. The subsystems in a PB are much more integrated than those of a tower. On a tower you can (for the most part) replace or add to the storage media. You can replace the graphics card. You can add a second graphics card. You can add ethernet and many other items via the PCI slots.

Laptops are much more limited in this respect so a new design brings us (hopefully) many more items than just a processor speed bump. Support for Airport Extreme, a better WiFi antenna, a better display, backlit keyboard, improved battery, better graphics card, faster optical drive are much of what may come and all are independent of the processor speed.

I'll appreciate a faster processor but I want all the other items too. If you already have a recent Ti PB then there is little need to upgrade. But if you are coming from a much earlier generation Ti book or Pismo or Wallstreet then this looks to be a very tasty upgrade. I was in an Apple store yesterday exercising a 1GHz Ti PB and it was really nice.

I suspect that while we all would love a G5 PB few of us really "need" it. It is more emotional attachment to having the "best" thing than actually being hampered by the ability of the current machine.
post #790 of 874
Be seated. Raise your eyes to the luminous, multi-coloured fruit of the heavens.And Let the incantation begin...

Oh mighty Apple. Keeper of our Dreams. Ruler of our hearts-desire for superbly designed and innovative tech-ware. (And masters of no-cost viral marketing)...
Please give us new powerbooks tomorrow...
Please give us new powerbooks tomorrow...
Please...

And ppl... Stop leaving out the PB12". If it simply had A (say)13" widescreen, a speed bump, and DVI out (to hook up to my imaginary 20" HD Display) it would be the perfect machine for portable work and play.
Every1 say the PB 12" will be updated too cos all this talk of his Big Brother(TM) is making him feel left out
You mean you read this far?
You mean you read this far?
post #791 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
Nothing like fueling the fire. Here's another "confirmation".

Jason says this:

Quote:
Q16 and Q41 will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models.

Hmm... Blackrider...Could this indicate the new PowerBooks are anodized black aluminum?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #792 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Jason says this:

Hmm... Blackrider...Could this indicate the new PowerBooks are anodized black aluminum?

Done right that would look so slick! StealthBook

I'm happy with regular Al though...just backlit and Al
post #793 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Jason says this:

I think that it's another Lord of the Rings reference, such as to the ringwraiths.
post #794 of 874
At this point, it could look like a can of dog food, I just want it soooo bad! Hurry...please...
post #795 of 874
Here's yet another prediction for this week...
http://ogrady.blogspot.com/

"A reliable PowerPage source who has seen the new PB15" and its box describes it as looking just like a 17-inch except smaller. Some notes:

Ports on right side

1.25GHz G4 processor

Firewire 800 on board

nVIDIA video cards across the 12, 15 and 17"
post #796 of 874
Much like you, the only reason to wait for the new powerbooks is the hope that new USB and firewire standards are supportted. That and the hope that Apple will clean up its act relative to base RAM.

I do have to disagree somewhat with your logic though, Apple could very well just stick in an uprated processor. The only possible change I could see would be possibly to voltage regulation. Now they would be incredibly stupid to do that, considering how long in the tooth the PB are.

Thanks
Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
Because it is a PowerBook it can't be "merely" a speed bump. The subsystems in a PB are much more integrated than those of a tower. On a tower you can (for the most part) replace or add to the storage media. You can replace the graphics card. You can add a second graphics card. You can add ethernet and many other items via the PCI slots.

Laptops are much more limited in this respect so a new design brings us (hopefully) many more items than just a processor speed bump. Support for Airport Extreme, a better WiFi antenna, a better display, backlit keyboard, improved battery, better graphics card, faster optical drive are much of what may come and all are independent of the processor speed.

I'll appreciate a faster processor but I want all the other items too. If you already have a recent Ti PB then there is little need to upgrade. But if you are coming from a much earlier generation Ti book or Pismo or Wallstreet then this looks to be a very tasty upgrade. I was in an Apple store yesterday exercising a 1GHz Ti PB and it was really nice.

I suspect that while we all would love a G5 PB few of us really "need" it. It is more emotional attachment to having the "best" thing than actually being hampered by the ability of the current machine.
post #797 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by wizard69
Much like you, the only reason to wait for the new powerbooks is the hope that new USB and firewire standards are supportted. That and the hope that Apple will clean up its act relative to base RAM.

I do have to disagree somewhat with your logic though, Apple could very well just stick in an uprated processor. The only possible change I could see would be possibly to voltage regulation. Now they would be incredibly stupid to do that, considering how long in the tooth the PB are.

Thanks
Dave

I agree, Apple could come out with a very minimal update. However, all the indications are that much of the technology in the 15" PB will be updated. We'll find out this week (I hope).

This is actually my main complaint with Apple, the lack of a road map. I agree that Apple should keep some things secret, especially anything related to style. And I understand that some things may not be put on a road map simply because there is internal disagreement about which way to proceed.

However, I would like Apple to setup a schedule for upgrading. For example, Apple could say the PowerBooks will be upgraded January, May and September. They might even say that major changes will come in January with speed bumps in May and September. Optionally, they could announce in advance when certain new technologies would be incorporated (bluetooth, FW800). This still lets Apple keep their secrets but lets the customers plan ahead.
post #798 of 874
Quote:
my main complaint with Apple, the lack of a road map.

I think they are starting to do this. Think back to the WWDC in June when Steve Jobs said the G5 would be at 3 GHz in a year's time.
post #799 of 874
Quote:
However, I would like Apple to setup a schedule for upgrading. For example, Apple could say the PowerBooks will be upgraded January, May and September.

And when moto screws them over (yet again) on a deadline causing apple to miss a schedule month?!

a) apple will be vilfied from many. "apple sucks" "apple can't make deadlines"

b) apple will be sued by a bunch of class action weenies that will say they "lost money" when the 15" g4 1.6 did not ship when apple said it would.

i think apple should not change a thing...

we will get the machines when they are ready. the 3gig next year is about as proactive as they should get.. as they probably have more than that planned...

i can't wait for the tell all book on the apple moto realtionship in the future...
post #800 of 874
Quote:
However, I would like Apple to setup a schedule for upgrading. For example, Apple could say the PowerBooks will be upgraded January, May and September. They might even say that major changes will come in January with speed bumps in May and September. Optionally, they could announce in advance when certain new technologies would be incorporated (bluetooth, FW800). This still lets Apple keep their secrets but lets the customers plan ahead.

Of course, the big and obvious problem with this is that if a deadline is missed, all hell will break loose. Plus, what then would happen to the rumor sites ?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.