or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.

New PowerBooks tomorrow. - Page 21  

post #801 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
Because it is a PowerBook it can't be "merely" a speed bump. The subsystems in a PB are much more integrated than those of a tower. On a tower you can (for the most part) replace or add to the storage media. You can replace the graphics card. You can add a second graphics card. You can add ethernet and many other items via the PCI slots.

Actually, Apple can (and has) merely upgraded the drives, or the CPU. All chips in the 745x G4 family are pin-compatible. In fact, with the last revision, the bigger PowerBooks now have their GPU on a daughtercard, so that they can switch chips or even suppliers easily (ATi has always been good about making their GPUs pin-compatible with prior models, but obviously ATi and nVIDIA don't try to be pin-compatible with each other!).

As for the drives, an ATA interface is an ATA interface. The drive itself certainly isn't soldered to the board. There are size and heat constraints, obviously, but they can source any drive that meets those constraints.

Upgrading the 'Books only becomes hard when you have to switch something that affects the board, like G3 -> 7400 G4, or 7400 G4 -> 7450 G4, or ATi -> nVIDIA -> daughtercard, or the cooling system, like shrinking the whole thing to less than an inch thick, etc.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #802 of 874
Quote:
I agree, Apple could come out with a very minimal update. However, all the indications are that much of the technology in the 15" PB will be updated. We'll find out this week (I hope).

This is actually my main complaint with Apple, the lack of a road map. I agree that Apple should keep some things secret, especially anything related to style. And I understand that some things may not be put on a road map simply because there is internal disagreement about which way to proceed.

However, I would like Apple to setup a schedule for upgrading. For example, Apple could say the PowerBooks will be upgraded January, May and September. They might even say that major changes will come in January with speed bumps in May and September. Optionally, they could announce in advance when certain new technologies would be incorporated (bluetooth, FW800). This still lets Apple keep their secrets but lets the customers plan ahead.

If Apple told everyone when their new models were coming (say they said that the G5 Powerbook will be in January), no one will buy that product for several months leading up to the update. Apple would have to seriously discount the models to get them out the door before their "scheduled" release, therefore not making as much money, not being able to put as much cash into the back or into R&D... then we wouldn't have Apple around much longer.

I don't think Apple will ever tell you when their updates will be for the next six months or year... it would be suicide. They would have inventory problems. Remember most people who have Macs aren't constantly checking rumors sites... there are consumers and there are fanatics.
post #803 of 874
Heh, nearly the longest thread ever in AI. Started in June ...
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #804 of 874
post #805 of 874
If (and only if), we are to believe that something will be announced this week and that there is no scheduled Apple Event, should that effectively rule out any possibility of a G5 equipped Powerbook?

Surely the announcement as big as a G5 PB would require the prescence of Jobs himself. Anything less such as a G4 1.25Mhz 15" model, could simply and quietly be posted on Apple's website.
post #806 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by macmike
If Apple told everyone when their new models were coming (say they said that the G5 Powerbook will be in January), no one will buy that product for several months leading up to the update. Apple would have to seriously discount the models to get them out the door before their "scheduled" release, therefore not making as much money, not being able to put as much cash into the back or into R&D... then we wouldn't have Apple around much longer.

I don't think Apple will ever tell you when their updates will be for the next six months or year... it would be suicide. They would have inventory problems. Remember most people who have Macs aren't constantly checking rumors sites... there are consumers and there are fanatics.

Do you really think so? Car companies manage to deal with this problem. We all know when the new models are coming out. Also, lots of people just buy computers when they need them. Not everyone hangs out on these boards. I was in an Apple store Sunday and heard two people approach sales staff saying they needed to buy laptops (one got a 17 inch and one a 12 inch). Neither asked any questions about when a new model was coming. They needed a computer so they bought one.

Most of us don't buy every new upgrade. We either buy a computer because we are in a new situation (new job, new school) or because the current computer is too far out of date. It is already no secret that if you want to look for a major upgrade then you should buy a PB after MacWorld. It is the speedbumps that are problematical.

In this particular case, I was thinking to buy a new PB (Pismo upgrade) last spring. If I had known that no upgrade was coming till late August I probably would have bought something back then. As it was, with no information from Apple and just the onlookers guessing what will happen next I got hooked into the idea that an upgrade would be imminent so I waited and waited and Apple did not get my money.

Anyway, I don't feel very strongly about this, just that it would be nice if there was some compromise between the customers and Apple on this point.

Along the same lines, if Apple would come out with more frequent upgrades people would be less worried about upgrades. For example, if (as in the example above) a small upgrade came out every four months there would be less panic about waiting for the next upgrade. Also, from Apple's viewpoint the upgrades might be easier to accomplish and so might not be so costly. (Just my speculation.)
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #807 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by satchmo
If (and only if), we are to believe that something will be announced this week and that there is no scheduled Apple Event, should that effectively rule out any possibility of a G5 equipped Powerbook?

Yep, any announcement as major as a G5 PowerBook would likely be at a special event. G4 speed bumps will be quietly announced with no fanfare, even if the 15" model is in a new enclosure.

Of course, "quietly" is a relative term. There will be lots of hoopla on the Mac web.
post #808 of 874
Quote:
Along the same lines, if Apple would come out with more frequent upgrades people would be less worried about upgrades. For example, if (as in the example above) a small upgrade came out every four months there would be less panic about waiting for the next upgrade. Also, from Apple's viewpoint the upgrades might be easier to accomplish and so might not be so costly. (Just my speculation.)

I think that hit the nail on the head. If it weren't for Apples god-awful feast or famine upgrade cycle (especially regarding portables) people wouldn't be so damn worried about making a "mistake" in upgrading at the wrong time.
bah!
bah!
post #809 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by dviant
I think that hit the nail on the head. If it weren't for Apples god-awful feast or famine upgrade cycle (especially regarding portables) people wouldn't be so damn worried about making a "mistake" in upgrading at the wrong time.

Good point. It's looking like the updated 15 and 17 will be announced this month. Maybe the updated 12 will be, too, but won't ship until Sept. It'd be nice not to have to wait for a Sept. 16 announcement. OK, so a new G4 PB comes out. It'll be at least 6 or 7 months before the first G5 PB is announced. Do you get the new G4 or wait for the G5? I'll bet most can't wait and will get the G4.

If I get a new 15" PB the end of this month or Sept., I'd consider getting a second generation G5 a year later.

In other news, Apple announced that the G5 was shipping today but I went to my local Apple store and they tell me they won't have a single processor G5 on display until the end of the week. For those in the area, that was Clarendon but they said that'd also be true for Tysons.
post #810 of 874
Not happening today. Probably not this week. Why steal the G5's thunder with a tiny powerbook upgrade.
post #811 of 874
In order to release new PowerBooks this morning Apple would have to bump that nice new G5 box graphic off the main page.

Not likely.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #812 of 874
not if they make it so that the image switches when you re-load the page. Apple has been known to do that in the past. Also, it might not even need to be the main page graphic, seeing as its not going to be a *huge* change.
post #813 of 874
As Apple ever new PowerBooks and not had them as the main graphic on the main page, even in a rotating status? I don't think so.

It just seems unlikely that they'll let anything even remotely steal the G5s thunder until the whole Power Mac line is shipping in quantity and all pre-orders are filled.

To me, that means Paris.

post #814 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
As Apple ever new PowerBooks and not had them as the main graphic on the main page, even in a rotating status? I don't think so.

It just seems unlikely that they'll let anything even remotely steal the G5s thunder until the whole Power Mac line is shipping in quantity and all pre-orders are filled.

To me, that means Paris.

Probably...but how much do they really care? The announced it's shipping yesterday and word got around, do you really think that is their big news for the next month? Haha, probably is but that is really sad.

I am pessimistic about today more and more, but here is hoping.
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #815 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

To me, that means Paris.

Wake up! Apple is a business. If they have the product, they announce it and sell it. It's simple. There have been hundreds of people working on it, so when it's ready, it's announced. At special events - e.g., MWSF - Apple will announce products not quite ready to ship. But when they are ready to ship, there's no holding back.

Apple doesn't tell their manufacturer - "Hey, tell your people to go home for a few weeks, because we don't want them manufactured yet.", or "Just store them in your BIG wharehouse for a few weeks, and just put it on our tab.".

Undoubtedly, there has been something holding everything up. I still speculate that the original 12" and 17" were supposed to have 7447/57, but Moto had a little problem...
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #816 of 874
B]OK, so a new G4 PB comes out. It'll be at least 6 or 7 months before the first G5 PB is announced. Do you get the new G4 or wait for the G5?[/B]

Why deny yourself a sweet computer for 6 or 7 months!?!?! lol I'm sure the G5 laptop will be fantastic...but if it isn't coming for a year, then a G4 laptop would be much more gratifying then a pencil and paper. lol
post #817 of 874
No new PowerBooks today.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #818 of 874
Slowly setting down the credit card while a single tear falls...
post #819 of 874
THE DAY'S NOT OVER!!! *sniff* IT CAN'T BE!!! *sniff* *honk* I'M NOT GIVING UP!!! *sob* MUH HUH HUHHHHHH *weep openly*
post #820 of 874
Starting today, I ain't listening to ANY of you about ANYTHING. Ever.

"It's here, it's coming!" "Sigh, no PowerBook". "No wait, THIS week...got my credit card out...woo-hoo!" "Damn, Apple SUCKS!"

Shut up already!

post #821 of 874
least i didn't expect it and just hoped for it

I was more optimistic when think secret reported it though \
post #822 of 874
Who really, honestly expected them today? No, I'm serious.

MacBidouille said the 18th or 19th, but they said all kinds of silly things this year.

Think Secret said they're coming, but not when. Their report implied later this week (or perhaps early next).

And I pointed out that Apple gives the press a week's notice when they hold an Apple Event, and Matt Rothenberg never fails to mention when he gets his invitation. He hasn't said a peep.

There is also the possibility that the update will only merit a press release, in which case it could happen literally any time, without warning.

Original music:

Original music:
post #823 of 874
I didn't. I was slightly hopeful, ONLY because Think Secret seems to have an okay track record for this stuff. But it just didn't feel right. There were no other rumblings or talk. No firm "I've seen them!" reports and so forth.

Yes, it COULD happen at any time via a simple press release and "poof", there it's on Apple's site.

But I don't know. I STILL think sometime next month. A crying shame, really. But it is, after all, Apple. They routinely miss the holiday shopping season, so why not the busy back-to-school push too? At least they're consistent.

post #824 of 874
I would hope nobody expected them, specially since nobody really confirmed it.

I will say although i was pessimistic I was hoping still.
post #825 of 874

kill this thread. now.
post #826 of 874
Haha...so now this thread will grow a page or two of dissapoinment posts...then slow down until next monday whent they dont come out, and slow down again until paris when this will rise again because its fun to create giant threads instead of creating new ones when old ones become irrelevant. I'm impressed on how on topic this has stayed!

Funnily enough I know you all are still refreshing apple.com/store
post #827 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
Heh, nearly the longest thread ever in AI. Started in June ...

As noted earlier in this tread, it is now just becoming half the length of the longest thread since the Great Blackout (42 pages of MW 2002 insanity).
post #828 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyBrando

kill this thread. now.

Never mind the new powerbooks i want that smilie
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
post #829 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Who really, honestly expected them today? No, I'm serious.

I was "really, honestly" expecting new PowerBooks today. I guess my month-long absence from AI (due to various trips and a professional responsibility exam) wasn't long enough. So much for quitting cold turkey...

Quote:
There is also the possibility that the update will only merit a press release, in which case it could happen literally any time, without warning.

That's exactly it, Amorph. Updated PowerBooks will not get anything other than a silent release. A 1.3Mhz PPC 7457 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4 may be big news in our addicted eyes, but certainly not for the Apple PR machine. I'm disappointed that today wasn't "the day." But I do not expect to be disappointed until a pre-announced press event or Apple Expo Paris. Any day now...

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #830 of 874
I wish Apple would release the new Powerbooks today so that we could lay this God forsaken thread to rest! I have hated it from the very start because it was created to harbour a lie. Enough already Jobs! Give us the goods dammit!! Aiiit?

[Ninja edit]
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #831 of 874
Why are folks getting upset already??? What time is it in Cali??? Apple usually doesn't announce anything before 9AM Cupertino time, sure there are exceptions, but a pretty good track record.

Now that doesn't mean I am saying they will announce anything today. I am just bitch slapping some sense into part of the hysterical mob who can't seem to remain level headed about PB's on either side of the release fence.
post #832 of 874
Quote:
A 1.3Mhz PPC 7457 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4 may be big news in our addicted eyes, but certainly not for the Apple PR machine.

Agreed. 1.3 GHz is pretty goddamn pathetic. And a G4!?
post #833 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by gardnerj
Never mind the new powerbooks i want that smilie

So, go get it, he provided the address in his post. Just hit reply and it will automagically appear before your amazed eyes.

Boy, am I in a pissy mood this morning... And no, I'm not waiting on a new PB yet.
post #834 of 874
Right now it is 7:31:28 AM in Los Angeles, California! There is still time... Die thread DIE!!
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #835 of 874
You know, a new PB has really become a boring topic.
post #836 of 874
Ship times for PowerBooks:

12": 3-5 days
15": 5-7 days
17": Same day

"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #837 of 874
*still hitting refresh...*
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #838 of 874
Give your finger a rest, then. And STOP.
post #839 of 874
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Give your finger a rest, then. And STOP.

Four thousand posts man! Congratulations!! I sure feel like I had a little something to do with it!
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
Pismo, Deus Ex Machina.
post #840 of 874
Holy crap, I didn't even notice that!!!

I'm officially a DORK!

Sound the trumpets and bring in the cake! Let the party begin!

Holy cow...4000 posts. That has to put me into some sort of special club, right?

"The Nitwits With No Life" one, I'd imagine....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New PowerBooks tomorrow.