or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 13 ton... thing washes ashore in Chile.

13 ton... thing washes ashore in Chile.

post #1 of 46
Truth really is stranger than fiction:

According to this story, it was originally thought to be a beached whale. Now some people think it's an octopus (a 13 ton octopus?!).

Whatever it is, the Kraken myths just got a bit easier to believe (even accounting for the two or so documented attacks on ships by giant squid).

Further proof that we really don't have any idea what's in the seas.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #2 of 46
Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't have flushed that down the toilet when it was a baby.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #3 of 46
Mmmmm calamari... 13 tons... how much food do we ingest in a year?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #4 of 46
Wow. Look at the eyes on that thing Straight out of a SCI FI movie, if you ask me.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #5 of 46
The ocean is a bad place.
proud resident of a failed state
post #6 of 46
There's been more than a few reported Krakens washing up somewhere. There spaced out between decent time intervals, but I have learned about these in my Mysteries of the Earth class I took last semester.
post #7 of 46
The truth is out there....

...but DAMN, would ya look at those eyes?! Eeesh.

[edit - Hollld it. The newstory page doesn't show that eye. Did someone Photoshop the eye in there... Amorph? ]
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #8 of 46
That Kraken myth is utterly believable, as long as you don't think of Harry Hamlin killing it.

Big squids and octopi have been known for a long time now. I've read up a lot on the squids and, quite frankly, they're scary as crap. Big eating machines. Thank god they live so damn deep.

The octopi are less understood though, and if that's what this is (it sure looks like one to me), it'll be the first one found in a long time, since possibly the late 1800's I think.

And that 12 metre length and 13 ton weight is without legs. An octopus has longer legs than its body, although not as long as the squid. This thing could easily have been over 50 feet long.

As for the Kraken, the Mediterranean has cuttlefish. Those have long bodies and shorter tentacles. But, before it was fished out and polluted, the Mediterranean had its own race of giant sea creatures. Probably not as big as the main ocean, but that's what the Kraken probably was.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #9 of 46

This is from the same 'thing' in Chile. A close up shows that is not as 'jelly' as the big picture looks, but it's hard and collageneus tissue.

more about the chile thing (in spanish), and sea creatures

These two pictures below then are from the thing that was found in florida in the 1800s.

How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #10 of 46
I was going to post this story a few days ago, but, whatever. If Amorph says it's worthy....

The CCC website
The BBC article

More wierdness 1
More wierdness 2
More wierdness 3

Most of the articles I've read have been 'tweaked' now, more relying on the 'Giant Squid' theory, even though it only had the 'remains' of 1 tentacle. Sure, it could be a squid, we'll find out shortly when they finish the skin tests....OR...it could be entirely something else, we might never know.

The Antarctic waters are full of cold-water-protein-enriched-larger-than-life species...why not this? Lord knows we know absolutely squat about the seas.

And, yes, the eyeball above is fake.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #11 of 46
The article mentions a giant octopus washing up in Florida in 1896. Here is some more information on that:

Quote:
The enormous carcass was found partially buried in the sandy beaches of Anastasia Island of the coast of St. Augustine, Florida, on November 30, 1896. The exposed portion of the corpse was measured at 18 feet in lenght, and 7 feet in width. Upon digging and excavation, "arms" ranging from 25 to 32 feet were located, which increased speculation that the corpse was that of a giant octopus whose total length would have been over 100 feet. The eminent authority, A.E. Verill, a scientist known for his work in the discovery of the giant squid, named the specimen Octopus Giganteus. An intense debate ensued after various tissue sample analyses failed to positively identify the carcass. Contradictory reports surfaced in newspapers and academic journals. Most were confident the St. Augustine specimen was an octopus, others were certain it was an unidentifiable portion of a cetacean. In fact, Dr. Verill later changed his own mind and felt the carcass was just that of a badly decomposed whale. The carcass soon washed back out to sea, never to be found again.

In 1957, original tissue samples were reexamined. Unfortunately the long storage period had severely decayed the samples. As a result, the tissue specimens no longer contained enough cellular materials to make a definite identification, however most of those who examined the tissues were of the opinion they did originate from a cephalopod, almost assuredly an octopus.

Since this time, scores of reports of other encounters with what appears to be a giant octopus have been reported. From all the descriptions, the Lucsa, seen and rumored for years around the Bahamas is almost certainly an octopus of gigantic girth. Could this be possible? Might the Lucsa be, Octopus Giganteus? The area is right, the Bahamas lie only a whisper away from Florida, and St. Augustine.

Perhaps the answer awaits us in the depths off Andros Island, or perhaps the answer lies, still floating, forever encased in a simple glass jar filled with formaldehyde on a shelf in Washington D.C.'s Smithsonian Institute.

Pictures:

http://jasonfinch.tripod.com/cryptoz...poctopics.html

This article might be of some interest, it is vaguely related:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/674647.asp

It is about this:

post #12 of 46
It's just a weather balloon, people. Move along, move along
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
I was going to post this story a few days ago, but, whatever. If Amorph says it's worthy....

For suitably wierd/amusing definitions of worthy.

Quote:
And, yes, the eyeball above is fake.

The image file name - "shoggoth.jpg" is a tip-off. Someone on the GURPS mailing list (where I got this) was having a little fun.

Original music:

Original music:
post #14 of 46
So that's what they did with my foreskin.

"Yeah, and it deep, too!"
post #15 of 46
Damn, I wanted to be the first one with the Cthulhu reference.
Heh.

Found elsewhere:
Quote:
It's called Hedora. Godzilla battled and defeated it back in 71. I'm surprised it took this long for the carcass to wash ashore though.

Screed
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #16 of 46
The little ones can be nasty too...

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smi...mpire_jpg.html

The vampire squid... it doesn't have suckers, it has spines. Nasty, nasty, nasty.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
So that's what they did with my foreskin.

"Yeah, and it deep, too!"

That gives you all sorts of mental pictures doesn't it?

Wow.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
Wow. Look at the eyes on that thing Straight out of a SCI FI movie, if you ask me.

Straight out of photoshop class you mean. The eye is fake. Look at the original photo.

Original
post #19 of 46
There ya go.
There are 3 types of people in the world.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #20 of 46
Looks kinda like shetline's soft bunny. Same gray color, similar looking dark glassy eye. The most likely explaination is that it is probably a gigantic aquatic mutant bunny that imploded under tremendous deep sea pressure and the fur was all worn away before he washed ashore.
post #21 of 46
E:

I re-upped with rivals for at least another month, so go ahead and use the old login to get your recruiting fix.
post #22 of 46
The ocean sucks i will never swim in it anymore
post #23 of 46
I second that.

I live in NC, and I *hate* the Atlantic beaches. For one thing, if I want water that warm, I'll take a bath. For another, you can't see six inches in the muck. Bleah. Never know what might be lurking to take a chunk out of you. Love them sharks we've been having...

Gimme 60deg crystal clear water any day.
post #24 of 46
cool stuff...
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by burningwheel
cool stuff...

Mmmm smelly too.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #26 of 46
Quote:
E:

I re-upped with rivals for at least another month, so go ahead and use the old login to get your recruiting fix.

I shall name my first born groverat and I shall hang your photo right next to my autographed Chris Simms' jockstrap.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
The ocean is a bad place.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Gimme 60deg crystal clear water any day.

My Marinegirl biologist would tell you that such water conditions mean that all sealife in that water is long gone and long dead....apparently the more muckier the better for all them little critters to live happy productive blood curdling lives....and that's just the crabs....

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by aquafire
My Marinegirl biologist would tell you that such water conditions mean that all sealife in that water is long gone and long dead....apparently the more muckier the better for all them little critters to live happy productive blood curdling lives....and that's just the crabs....

Ha. San Juan Islands, Puget Sound, WA state. The water is clear to 60' down, no problem, and the place is *teeming* with life. Ditto for tropical waters I've dived in.

It's just Atlantic US beaches and sewers that are opaque... :P
post #30 of 46
(my keys etwee v ad m dot work so this should e itrestig lol) god, could you imagie goig for a dive ad havig oe of those thigs attack you? i wet to the shore i jersey ad the whole state is filthy, ot just the shore. lol 2 keys are goe lol
post #31 of 46
damn. i warned my mother in law about skinny dipping ...
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by futuremac
(my keys etwee v ad m dot work so this should e itrestig lol) god, could you imagie goig for a dive ad havig oe of those thigs attack you? i wet to the shore i jersey ad the whole state is filthy, ot just the shore. lol 2 keys are goe lol

New to the english language are we?

Yeah yeah I know. We should all chip in to uy him a ew key oard or somethig. Should't we?
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Ha. San Juan Islands, Puget Sound, WA state. The water is clear to 60' down, no problem, and the place is *teeming* with life. Ditto for tropical waters I've dived in.

It's just Atlantic US beaches and sewers that are opaque... :P

Nah, In WA they pulls little twicksees on little tourestees.
Local pensioners pour the contents of their aquariums into the bay. Twiksee little buggers...

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.

Those who count.

&

Those who can't.
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by aquafire
Nah, In WA they pulls little twicksees on little tourestees.
Local pensioners pour the contents of their aquariums into the bay. Twiksee little buggers...

Who you calling a *tourist*, eh?
post #35 of 46
http://www.msnbc.com/news/933992.asp?cp1=1

They're saying it's most likely whale blubber
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #36 of 46
Where did you get that idea from? They said *previous* finds were whale blubber, not *this* find.
post #37 of 46
maybe ol' Cap'n Joe Hazelwood was nearby on the Liposuction Valdez and spilled gooey cargo again
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #38 of 46
^
^
^

BOOT!

I want answers damnit! What is it?!

Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Moogs

I want answers damnit! What is it?!

A big stinky pile of rotting flesh.
I'm RICH beotch!!!
I'm RICH beotch!!!
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robust
http://www.msnbc.com/news/933992.asp?cp1=1

They're saying it's most likely whale blubber

i didn't read that
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 13 ton... thing washes ashore in Chile.