or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Supplier tell me G5 in stock tomorrow

Supplier tell me G5 in stock tomorrow - Page 2

post #41 of 84
I see Robster has done a runner!

If he ever comes back. What supplier? I am in the UK and have heard nothing!
post #42 of 84
I just noticed here in Europe that they've changed the expected date of receiving the G5 from end of August to the beginning of October. Any different over in the States?
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #43 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights
I just noticed here in Europe that they've changed the expected date of receiving the G5 from end of August to the beginning of October. Any different over in the States?

On new orders or existing?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #44 of 84
of course, as long as we bump this thread every day, it will eventually be right.
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
On new orders or existing?

Both. This was the date at the online store I buy Apple stuff over here. It's the date they list for when they can ship the G5. I've never received anything earlier than the date that they use, and it's usually consistent with the Apple store here.
post #46 of 84
anybody read this from macintouch this morning?

Quote:
A MacInTouch reader talks about an intriguing plan involving a big batch of Power Mac G5 systems:
A large university in Virginia has ordered over a thousand G5 Macs to cluster and make one of the top ten fastest supercomputers. They are expecting delivery in late August; we should see an announcement around that time.

Sweet.
post #47 of 84
Noooooooo! thats why we wont get our's till october! they are buying the whole supply. Sounds cool though.
post #48 of 84
Wish I was goin to school there.
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
[ Don't Panic Engineering ]
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights
Both. This was the date at the online store I buy Apple stuff over here. It's the date they list for when they can ship the G5. I've never received anything earlier than the date that they use, and it's usually consistent with the Apple store here.

The Danish Apple Store still says August.
JLL

JLL

post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
The Danish Apple Store still says August.

Maybe it's just the Dual 2GHz that's delayed, according to Think Secret. A late September U.S. ship date would equate roughly to early October for us 2nd class users in Europe.
post #51 of 84
This whole 'pre-order' thing really pisses me off, especially the way it has been done with the G5.

I ordered a dualie on the announcement date, and was assured numerous times that the machine would be shipping 'In August'. I genuinely need the machine both for research over thenext few weeks and more importantly for Bar School on the 6th September. I also have to do some 'real' work to fund myself while I am there... Not only have they held the funds on my Credit Card, but there is no sign of the machine at all, not even a hint as to when it may appear...

I wish they would have announced the machines with a definite shipping date, not a vague 'guestimate'. It isn't really good enough for people buying for work, and also education who need certainty.

If I had known that the machines may not shipping until October, I would have bought another G4 Mac and worked on that over the last few months and waited for a 'Rev 2' G5... Instead my money is 'tied up', I'm stuck on a G3 466 iBook, and over a month later I am no further along knowing when the machine may ship...
post #52 of 84
Not sure about Apple "holding" funds - I have a dual on order and my credit card and not been dinged. Final Cut Express was ordered at the same time and my card was hit (for that amount only) when it shipped...
post #53 of 84
He prob didn't order from apple
post #54 of 84
Quote:
I genuinely need the machine both for research over thenext few weeks and more importantly for Bar School on the 6th September.

Shit! You mean one needs the power of a G5 for Bar School nowadays?

post #55 of 84
macbippy-tourdefrance.com

- [Rumor] Dual 2GHz G5s sales exploded - Lionel - 01:08:01

Sorry for those who don't care for rumours, bad day for them.

G5s sales have gone far beyond Apple's own expectations, though optimistic they were. About 65_000 Dual 2GHz G5s were preordered to the Apple Stores (both physical and online [no physical Apple Store is available in Europe. Ndt]). Even Apple were surprised by the success of their top of the line model, whereas mono 1.8 they thought would be more popular was "only" sold to 26_000 pieces.
This disparity of sales appears to cause problems. IBM is able to deliver far more 1.8 G5s than 2.0 GHz. As evident as it may seem, the top of the notch model requires twice as much processors apiece...
This enormous rush on dual G5s would cause these machines to ship later than anticipated. No panic though, every day IBM production of 2GHz CPUs increases.
post #56 of 84
and now with a good chip supplier for the powermac line they can sell to us more often as the machines will be freshed more with new ibm supplied chips. think pc world. that's part of the reason why apple has not been making money. those hard core users where not upgrading their machines since the g4 would only get bumped so much each time.
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by msantti
Shit! You mean one needs the power of a G5 for Bar School nowadays?

Lol, no not a prerequisite per se, but I need it to make some money doing my graphics and publishing work to keep me there!
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
He prob didn't order from apple

Yep, I ordered from an 'Applecentre', the closest (and lamest excuse) we have for Apple Stores in the UK... They 'reserved' the funds on my card, so although they weren't actually taken, they were not usable by me.

All hypothetical now anyway as I have cancelled my order and gone for a 'vastly' reduced in price Powerbook ...

Rev 2 G5 for me.
post #59 of 84
ETA is still set (in Europe) for this friday 01/08.
But they can change it again once it is friday. The date has been pushed back three times. First 15/07, then 25/07 and showing now 01/08. Well, we can only wait and see. \
post #60 of 84
well according to tekserve they will have g5's in the store by Aug 20th. Notice the September for the dual 2ghz

Funny image on there site btw

post #61 of 84
I have a "source" at MacMall. He always has good, accurate info for me. He says that it will probably be October before they get G5s in. I trust this guy. Known him for years.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #62 of 84
post #63 of 84
I just called the AppleStore in the Netherlands.....

I asked when Apple expects to ship the G5's.
The reply was that they will ship within 4-5 weeks.
I asked "the dual 2Gig model as well?" He replied "all three models".

He then said that I wasn't connected to some webstore-callcentre, but to the factory in Cork. I thought I missheard what he said, asked him to repeat. "You can give me your order, for I am in the factory, ready to take your order."

So, accordingly, we will see G5's in the first half of september.
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by reactor
I just called the AppleStore in the Netherlands.....

I asked when Apple expects to ship the G5's.
The reply was that they will ship within 4-5 weeks.
I asked "the dual 2Gig model as well?" He replied "all three models".

He then said that I wasn't connected to some webstore-callcentre, but to the factory in Cork. I thought I missheard what he said, asked him to repeat. "You can give me your order, for I am in the factory, ready to take your order."

So, accordingly, we will see G5's in the first half of september.

Good i will see my G5s at the beginning of september 8)
post #65 of 84
My credit card was dinged for $3679.67 just this morning.

I placed the order June 30.

Dualie with bluetooth and 9800 Pro.
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by msantti
My credit card was dinged for $3679.67 just this morning.

I placed the order June 30.

Dualie with bluetooth and 9800 Pro.

$3679? Isn't that a little much? $3000+$300+$50=$3350.

What does your ship date say?
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by qazII
$3679? Isn't that a little much? $3000+$300+$50=$3350.

Sales tax and shipping charges, I presume.
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 (8GB RAM, 1TB HD)
iPhone 4 32GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 2.5G 8GB
post #68 of 84
Just a preauthorization. Sorry. Still have a ship date of on or before Aug. 29.

Yeah, the price includes sales tax and overnight shipping.
post #69 of 84
Bad news regarding G5. As has been cited by some site's the, G5 has indeed been delayed. Part of Europe has at this time no fixed date on the arrival of the G5. (That I know)
All models show no ETA at the moment.

Then the powerbook. Same thing. All ETA dates have been removed. As i pointed out (in an other thread), first ETA of the 12 and 17 inch was mid september and the 15 inch was october (sign of EOL).

Several things are possible:
1. existing orders have been cancelled by Apple. All been EOL'd
2. Arrival of new powerbooks is for any moment now.
3. We are in for a long wait.
4. Nothing to worry, just silence before the storm.

Speculate away....
post #70 of 84
How's delivery of the 1.6 or 1.8 models looking? Because of a mishap involving hot chocolate being spilled on my sister's PowerBook 1400 I might end up ordering one of these two G5s, but I'm wondering when exactly I might see one.

For anyone out there who has ordered one: have you been given a date more exact that the 4-6 weeks I see if I spec a system on-line? Any Canadians out there with a ship date (even better would be a Canadian ship date from the education store ) This matters quite a lot to me since if I do get a G5 it would because I'm passing on my TiBook, but I can't be without a system for that long.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
How's delivery of the 1.6 or 1.8 models looking? Because of a mishap involving hot chocolate being spilled on my sister's PowerBook 1400 I might end up ordering one of these two G5s, but I'm wondering when exactly I might see one.

For anyone out there who has ordered one: have you been given a date more exact that the 4-6 weeks I see if I spec a system on-line? Any Canadians out there with a ship date (even better would be a Canadian ship date from the education store ) This matters quite a lot to me since if I do get a G5 it would because I'm passing on my TiBook, but I can't be without a system for that long.

Mishap??? Hmm, sure if you say so ; )

There is a page 2 rumor at MacRumors in which someone claims that there credit card got billed for their G5 order. Either its a mistake of some kind, the guy is pulling our collective legs or some early orders may have begun to ship.
post #72 of 84
According to ThinkSecret, Apple just seeded a new build of 10.2.7. What with that happening, what are the chances that ANY G5 models will be available in August? If they were to do another build of 10.2.7 after this, how long would it take to get installed in whatever machines they might have built already? Or am I reading too much into this being a potentially bad sign?
post #73 of 84
For clarification I've only heard that the Seadnote for 10.2.7 is posted. NOT any physical upgrade image. This may be due to the fact that 10.2.7 was internally tested and deemed "good enough" to be installed on soon to be shipping machines. However, apple would want to inform developers of any OS modifications so that their software will run smoothly. Of course only Apple knows for sure...

A@ron
post #74 of 84
Quote:
According to ThinkSecret, Apple just seeded a new build of 10.2.7. What with that happening, what are the chances that ANY G5 models will be available in August? If they were to do another build of 10.2.7 after this, how long would it take to get installed in whatever machines they might have built already? Or am I reading too much into this being a potentially bad sign?

The reason for this delay (shipping) is unknown to me. But as reported by thinksecret that the build of smeagol has been seeded just now suprises me. If the build was stable, then it is possible that things can go quickly. I remember that when the imac flatscreen came out, you needed to install the OS yourself. A reason for this could have been that the OS came in late and the CD's were packed with the computer. Only thing that is needed then is packing of the computer and the OS. That can go farely quickly. Most likely the proces (packing) has been underway and caused shipments to be delayed. As soon as I have a ETA, i will post this.

Now what confuses me more is that during the keynote, the g5 ran also smeagol. Since some benchmarks were done with it, it should have been stable. I also seem to remember an article saying that smeagol would be ready by september. (was that eWeek?) If so, the rumor on Thinksecret seems to be in line with that.

As a note, possible that the machines were made and to save time, are being packed in the country or region were it will be sold. Some companies do this when packaging is delayed. This way, you have the time of shipment to finnish some things. Shipment can take up to a whole month. Depending if it's overseas and where they are made.
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by A@ron
For clarification I've only heard that the Seadnote for 10.2.7 is posted. NOT any physical upgrade image. A@ron

To settle the issue, here is the 6R34 build of smeagol on the ADC site.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
This post has managed to be a total bastardization of the English language

LoCash, do you listen to Jethro Tull by any chance? The term Bastardization is used by him frequently. Anyways, sorry to change the subject, I ordered a 1.6ghz G5 and it says on or before 9/15/03, so some of you guys are lucky. \
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
This whole 'pre-order' thing really pisses me off, especially the way it has been done with the G5.

I ordered a dualie on the announcement date, and was assured numerous times that the machine would be shipping 'In August'. I genuinely need the machine both for research over thenext few weeks and more importantly for Bar School on the 6th September. I also have to do some 'real' work to fund myself while I am there... Not only have they held the funds on my Credit Card, but there is no sign of the machine at all, not even a hint as to when it may appear...

I wish they would have announced the machines with a definite shipping date, not a vague 'guestimate'. It isn't really good enough for people buying for work, and also education who need certainty.

If I had known that the machines may not shipping until October, I would have bought another G4 Mac and worked on that over the last few months and waited for a 'Rev 2' G5... Instead my money is 'tied up', I'm stuck on a G3 466 iBook, and over a month later I am no further along knowing when the machine may ship...

I think you can cancel your order anytime before it ships....so you can still get a G4.
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by Ti Fighter
well according to tekserve they will have g5's in the store by Aug 20th. Notice the September for the dual 2ghz

well looky here, their G5 launch event said Aug 20th but now they changed it to say Sept 12-13. Bottom graphics still say aug for 1.6, 1.8, and sept for 2.0 though
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally posted by vinnyman29
Anyways, sorry to change the subject, I ordered a 1.6ghz G5 and it says on or before 9/15/03, so some of you guys are lucky. \

Good to know, since this is the model I'm thinking of getting. When did you order though, if you don't mind me asking?
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Good to know, since this is the model I'm thinking of getting. When did you order though, if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all, I ordered it not too long ago. It was the first of August. I went to the Apple store in King of Prussia, PA. They told me that the 1.6 would be first to ship out, next the 1.8 and then the dual 2. They said to expect it mid september, and that's exactly what the order status says.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Supplier tell me G5 in stock tomorrow