or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Dreamweaver Question

Dreamweaver Question

post #1 of 32
I hope this makes sense to you. If I want my website to have everything centered like apple.com or cnet.com no matter what the resolution is or how much I spread the browser window out...... How would I do this in Dreamweaver MX for OS X.

Thank you very much,

Teddy
I love the miniBook!!! Oh yeah!!!
post #2 of 32
the <CENTER> tag is your friend
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #3 of 32
I think <center> has been deprecated. Encase everything in
Code:

<div align="center">

STUFF HERE
Code:

</div>

If you are using DWMX just select every thing (command-a) and click the center justification control on the property inspector, it will write the div tags in the correct place for you.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #4 of 32
I don't think
Code:

<div align="center">XXX</div>

will work if you have a valid doctype declaration in IE5.
four more beers, four more beers
four more beers, four more beers
post #5 of 32
<div style="width=600px:margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;">

content

</div>

post #6 of 32
I don't think I explained all of it that well. I have frames in my site so when I expand my page the frame stays in the same spot while everything else is centered with the width of the page..... I can't center the frame for some reason.

Thanks

Teddy
post #7 of 32
make a cell...center the cell put ur stufff in there...crewd work around
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Teddy
I have frames in my site...

Originally posted by ast3r3x
make a cell...

Teddy: Do your visitors a favor and get rid of frames in your design. Frames are oudated and obnoxious, mainly because visitors can't bookmark deep URLs, and because of sizing problems like the one you describe. Use a table layout instead of frames!

If you're using frames so that you don't have to have navigation bar code on every page, get cuttin' and pastin' OR learn how to use server side includes (SSI) to dynamically add a nav bar to each page.

Escher

PS: This question belongs in the Genius Bar, not Software.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #9 of 32
Use a CSS layout instead of tables!
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by unremarkable

fvck it all and do it in flash.

html is for wankers.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by unremarkable

Big DITTO. Only use tables to make tables (and then think twice before you do) (and only use frames if you have a really good reason to.)
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
Room to Rant
Frodo's Notebook
Model: TiBook, Speed: 500mhz, RAM: 512 megs, OS: 10.4.1, Name: Rendezvous
post #12 of 32
Thanks for all the imput guys. Honestly I really don't know that much about Web Design so I don't know how to do that stuff but I appreciate you imput. If you go to Apples home page you know how everything stays centered no matter what the size of you screen. I just want to do that and add pictures and such to the site but I have buttons on the side so I don't know how to make a picture center next to them. Sorry for asking more....

Teddy
post #13 of 32
i kinda figured that you didn't know too much about web design...

*listen up others*

...so i didn't just comment like 'use css' ()

CSS is the best way to go but you'll have to learn it...if u are serious at all about learning web design i'd go to www.w3schools.com and pick up on it

if you aren't very serious and just playing around and dont plan on it to be used as a business or commercial site then id just make a cell...cente the cell, and put everything you want in that...its not a very clean way of doing it but its easy and it will get the work done for you if you center the cell then

if you dont knw how to make a cell i'll look when i get home and check dreamweaver for you...i havn't done it in a while so i dont remember

i think cell is what i want...but frames are bad if u want to use ur site seriously

ok i may have confused you and others so ask questions if i have, i suck at explaining things
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by running with scissors
fvck it all and do it in flash.

html is for wankers.

i have a question about flash so i dont have to make a new thread i'll post here...

i want to make a button that fades to the active position...how do i do this? i know regular buttons only have 4 frames....is there a way to add more, or do i use a movie clip with an activation for it to start playing on click...help me!

...oh yeah please
post #15 of 32
Quote:
i have a question about flash so i dont have to make a new thread i'll post here...

i want to make a button that fades to the active position...how do i do this? i know regular buttons only have 4 frames....is there a way to add more, or do i use a movie clip with an activation for it to start playing on click...help me!

...oh yeah please

several ways you might want to go about this spring to mind:

option A
place a movie clip into the first frame of your button with the fade animation in it. don't forget your stop actions or it's off to loopsville.

option B
instead of using a button, create a movie clip with all your various states placed on the time line and defined and seperated by frame labels. then just contol your mc from an invisible button(s) using actionscript.

option B is the way i'd go. it's a little more complicated, but it will give you more control in the long run.
post #16 of 32
k i'll try that adn ask if i haev questions...hahau wouldn't happen to have IM so i could ask u in real time questions could you? (if not its cool since you might not want to be bothered)
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
the <CENTER> tag is your friend

Wow. 1996 called. They want their HTML tag back.

Moving to barra del genio...
post #18 of 32
Quote:
k i'll try that adn ask if i haev questions...hahau wouldn't happen to have IM so i could ask u in real time questions could you? (if not its cool since you might not want to be bothered)

sure dude, no problem.
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
Wow. 1996 called. They want their HTML tag back.

Moving to barra del genio...

well, i was debating whether to post HTML or RTFM.

Dreamweaver MX has an excellent Help system, includes a Reference panel with copious text from O'Reilly's HTML, Javascript, and CSS books built in for free, a Guided Tour that highlights and cirlces the Property Inspector's justification buttons, and manuals that explain how to do it.

suggesting a search in any of those places for the word "center" seemed a bit facetious and patronizing.

but yes, deprecated tags are not the best choice.

frames are also an undesirable choice given the inability of Search Engines to scan them properly
don't expect frames pages to rank well in any index

keep it simple (less to debug)
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb

frames are also an undesirable choice given the inability of Search Engines to scan them properly
don't expect frames pages to rank well in any index

Also search engines sometimes end up listing just one of the frames, so if some clicks on that link they end up missing content. Of course there is JavaScript out there that can detect if the pages in a frame, but then there has to be different version of the for different browsers...ugh. Web Standards are the future.
post #21 of 32
I think it is amusing that someone has asked for help doing something so presumably simple as "centering" something in a WYSIWYG editor, and most of us are posting raw code in the thread to solve the problem
post #22 of 32
Quote:
I think it is amusing that someone has asked for help doing something so presumably simple as "centering" something in a WYSIWYG editor, and most of us are posting raw code in the thread to solve the problem

Amusing indeed. I guess that's why so many web designers are sticking with manual HTML coding in BBEdit and still recommend that beginnning web designers look at source code instead of using WYSIWYG tools that generate bloated code to learn HTML.

Escher
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
Amusing indeed. I guess that's why so many web designers are sticking with manual HTML coding in BBEdit and still recommend that beginnning web designers look at source code instead of using WYSIWYG tools that generate bloated code to learn HTML.

Escher

to each there own. me, i learned code ( something i had no interest or desire in doing at the time, i might add), by using a wysiwyg. the main reason i still use one today is for speed. i'm a visual guy, i need visual stimulation. plus, i can't type to save my ass. although, i do find myself in code view more and more, especially when i'm dicking around with css, javascript, coldfusion or php. as far as bloated code goes, that's debatable. dreamweaver writes very clean html and xhtml compliant code and has for some time now. hell, even golive writes clean code if you know what your doing. where golive falls apart to me is it's implementation of javascript and dhtml tends to be very very verbose.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
to [To] each there [their] own. me [Me], i [ I ] learned code ( something i [ I ] had no interest or desire in doing at the time, i [ I ] might add), by using a WYSIWYG. the [The] main reason i [ I ] still use one today is for speed. i'm [I'm] a visual guy, i [ I ] need visual stimulation. plus [Plus], i [ I ] can't type to save my ass. although [Although], i [ I ] do find myself in code view more and more, especially when i'm dicking [messing] around with [COLOR= orange]CSS[/COLOR], [COLOR= orange]JavaScript[/COLOR], ColdFusion or [COLOR= orange]PHP[/COLOR]. as [As] far as bloated code goes, that's debatable. dreamweaver [Dreamweaver] writes very clean [COLOR= orange]HTML[/COLOR] and [COLOR= orange]XHTML[/COLOR] compliant code and has for some time now. hell [Hell], even GoLive writes clean code if you know what your [you're] doing. where [Where] GoLive falls apart to me is it's [its] implementation of [COLOR= orange]JavaScript[/COLOR] and [COLOR= orange]DHTML[/COLOR], as they tends [tend] to be very[,] very verbose.

F

post #25 of 32
Quote:
F

wow, aren't you clever. way to add to the discussion, lo. besides caps are for pussies.

post #26 of 32
Teddy, I don't know if you've ever really gotten an answer to your question, so let me just say that you might not be able to achieve the fluid centering you want because you are using frames. I won't tell you whether or not to get rid of the frames, but working with frames is very restrictive. You'll probably have to choose between (1) frames or(2) a scalable, centered design.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
wow, aren't you clever. way to add to the discussion, lo. besides caps are for pussies.

Don't say the grammar police don't exist
post #28 of 32
Quote:

they don't...but if you still feel so inclined, try pulling some of that in person at any local watering hole. preferably a sports bar. see how far it gets you. my guess would be a trip to the hospital.
post #29 of 32
Quote:

Well, they certainly must not live in Boston. You missed a glaring comma splice that should be replaced with a semicolon. You also missed a missing use of a listing comma by American rules.

post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Well, they certainly must not live in Boston. You missed a glaring comma splice that should be replaced with a semicolon. You also missed a missing use of a listing comma by American rules.

Hey, had I marked up that monstrosity of the english language anymore, it could very well have been unreadable. Not like it was readable to begin with anyhow... (ba dum dum)

As to pulling that at a sports bar, I don't really hang out at those places. For good reason too, poor mastery of the english language and a usual lack of intelligible conversation spanning beyond somebody's batting average being two of the lesser concerns. Besides, when I go down to the pub, I'm more concerned about my pint of Guinness than somebody's spelling.
post #31 of 32
Quote:
F

Now that's good humor!
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
Now that's good humor!

nah, he's just being a prick today.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Dreamweaver Question