AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 5

iTunes 5

post #1 of 81
What should they add?

starters:

choice of Better and Best .MP4 compression like Export...in QuickTime Pro has

FLAC playback. No quality loss, and half the size! Way better than even .SITX

New visualizer? Or why don't they just include WhiteCap and G-Force

Support for SESSIONS (Finder burning should support them too)

more radio stations?

way to rip streaming radio a la RadioLover? Or are there legal issues? I need my MusicOne in Electronica!

Option to omit doubles in the Library view

Less CPU usage (though someone said it uses less in Panther anyway)

Red note for icon

What else can they add to this juggernaut?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #2 of 81
allow crossfades in CD burns?

pitch control for mixing

karaoke!

iTMS wishlists, some sort of download "allowance" for kids under parents' accounts, song/album rankings by customers

Print UI for downloaded album art and high-quality complete album art, kept separate from track tags
post #3 of 81
My top choice for a new feature (or bug fix, depending on how you look at it): Seamless, pop-and-click free playback and burning of CDs when source tracks flow continuously, without a silent pause, from track to track.

I've recently been ripping a number of my old CDs, and as it stands now, I have to seek out all of the inter-track gaps on some albums and make sure I use the "join" function to connect all of the flow-through tracks to one another.

The result is, in order to avoid popping and clicking between tracks, I have to take an album like "Dark Side of the Moon" and turn all nine tracks into just TWO tracks.

It must suck if you buy the album "Dark Side of the Moon" from iTMS, because it's already broken into nine tracks on the store.

I think the problem has to do with the way most audio compression routines work, which break audio signals down into short "frames" of some fixed duration, and when you rip a track the compressed output gets padded with short silences at the beginning and end of the track to fill out complete frames.

Still, there must be some way to spot and remove this padding, because I can burn a CD from continuous-flow compressed audio tracks using Toast, and the pops and clicks don't happen.

Besides updating iTunes for better playback and CD burning to solve this problem, the iPod would need to be updated too -- it has the same problem with these kinds of tracks.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #4 of 81
More good suggestions. Yes that pause on iTunes and iPods, why is it there? With dual 90mhz StrongARM CPUs or a 867mhz G4 with 640 RAM there is no excuse for the pauses. I don't want crossfade but I don't want pauses. BuonRotto yes the iTMS should have wishlists and also Gift Certificates so kids and people without credit cards can buy. I am hoping I won't ever have a credit card, no thanks 18% interest, it's easier to not spend when I have to use checks.
post #5 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic

choice of Better and Best .MP4 compression like Export...in QuickTime Pro has

It uses "better" (not the fastest) now. No need to use "best" as it's for 24bit material (DVD). Hence no difference between "better" and "best" for 16bit (Audio CD) material.
post #6 of 81
Smart palylist without rules (pick three-four song yu would like to hear now and iTunes find "same-as" songs)
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #7 of 81
Quote:
I think the problem has to do with the way most audio compression routines work, which break audio signals down into short "frames" of some fixed duration, and when you rip a track the compressed output gets padded with short silences at the beginning and end of the track to fill out complete frames

I just finished a CS project on mp3 decoding (using altivec instructions) and am quite familiar with the subject. I found this page - it may be of some help

http://lame.sourceforge.net/tech-FAQ.txt
God made grass. Man made booze. Who do you trust?
God made grass. Man made booze. Who do you trust?
post #8 of 81
I know Best is for higher quality music, but iTunes is very powerful for ripping and organizing music, so maybe adding support for higher end audio formats would follow.

One "feature" I wouldn't miss is iTunes 4.01 randomly skipping, leaving 10 second gaps in music. Ander's that's smokeworthy. l.
post #9 of 81
Quote:
karaoke!

actually, this should be a very easy thing to impliment. iTunes came from apple buying soundjam, right? soundjam had a karaoke mode that would filter out vocals and play only the music. it wasnt perfect, but it was really cool.
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
ThunderPoit: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!

savi: DONOT MOCK SADAMS WORDS!
post #10 of 81
I know it would only apply to a small base of users, but they should add the option to edit out ~30 seconds of music. I bought this CD and the last track plays nothing for the first 30 seconds. The song also doesn't appear on the song list that came with the CD. I would love to take out this dead space.

BTW, the CD is 3 Door's Down's "Away from the Sun"
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
I know it would only apply to a small base of users, but they should add the option to edit out ~30 seconds of music. I bought this CD and the last track plays nothing for the first 30 seconds. The song also doesn't appear on the song list that came with the CD. I would love to take out this dead space.

BTW, the CD is 3 Door's Down's "Away from the Sun"

They do have this option, but it is limited. 'Get Info' on the song, and go to the 'Options' tab. Now, mess with the 'Start Time' until the dead space goes away. BUT: this, like all other iTunes effects, does not carry over into CD burning. This is their biggest flaw... how hard would it be to simply burn a CD with overlapping tracks? Or with the music file as it is designated to play?

As for my requests, here's a list:
  • Toggle shuffling by song/album by playlist, not as a universal preference
  • Allow boolean smart playlists
  • Allow a modification of the crossfade effect on a per-song basis... some songs aren't meant to be faded.
  • "Attach" two songs together, so they are always played back to back, even in a shuffle-by-song mode
  • echo 'good/better/best m4a settings'
  • Burn effects onto CDs.
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #12 of 81
Quote:

you can do this. Get Info on the track and set the starting point from 00:00:00 to 00:00:30.

post #13 of 81
Quote:
I bought this CD and the last track plays nothing for the first 30 seconds.

If you've got the original CD you can use this:

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/s...pymp3startstop

It will only rip a user selected portion of the track.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #14 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
[*]"Attach" two songs together, so they are always played back to back, even in a shuffle-by-song mode

You can do this at the time when you rip from the original CD.
post #15 of 81
I'd like a built in way to print CD labels. Just pick a playlist and have it automatically fill out a CD template. Of course there would be easy ways to customize the look of the label. This could be a separate app, but should integrate well.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by jamm
I just finished a CS project on mp3 decoding (using altivec instructions) and am quite familiar with the subject. I found this page - it may be of some help

http://lame.sourceforge.net/tech-FAQ.txt

Hmmm. This material looks very familiar.

What would be nice is if the MP3 and AAC formats included markers for where the actual signal, less any padding, begins and ends.

Since no such markers exist as far as I know, I'm left wonder how Toast gets the job done. By assuming that any silence/near silence at the beginning or end of a track is padding? Does Toast then remove this data from the burned data always, or only under special circumstances, like from between two concurrent tracks with strong signal before and after the apparent padding?
post #17 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
I'd like a built in way to print CD labels. Just pick a playlist and have it automatically fill out a CD template. Of course there would be easy ways to customize the look of the label. This could be a separate app, but should integrate well.

Good one!
post #18 of 81
My vote: CD-TEXT

iTunes introduced a metadata-based file management system... yet throws all that info away when burning to CD.

It makes no sense. \
Why no CD-TEXT?
post #19 of 81
I would like to see added a facility to store and play video (quicktime) of music tracks within iTunes. There are quite a few enhanced CD's around now with video tracks as a bonus, but up to now we have no way of listing and playing these.
post #20 of 81
How about shuffle play across multiple playlists and libraries?

I enjoy listening to co-workers' music libraries over Rendezvous, but it would be nice to have shuffle play randomly select tracks from all available libraries, including my own.
It's not the heat... it's the humidity.
It's not the heat... it's the humidity.
post #21 of 81
Quote:
My vote: CD-TEXT

Seconded. I bet it'll show up.
post #22 of 81
Is there anything different in iTunes in Panther?
post #23 of 81
another vote for CD text. its annoying that if i copy a CD using toast it keeps it, but itunes throws it away...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #24 of 81
I would like the option to scan and remove duplicate songs on an iPod through iTunes as well as the iTunes library. Not just based on ID3 tags, but actually analyse the MP3. I know it will take longer, but I have 4 version of the same Beatels song and the ID3 tags are different because they came from different CD's. Also, if I change a ID3 tag on a file on the iPod, I would like it to also change the file on my computer.

My 2¢ 8)
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Is there anything different in iTunes in Panther?

Nope. Same version in the build (7B21).
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebby
I would like the option to scan and remove duplicate songs on an iPod through iTunes as well as the iTunes library. Not just based on ID3 tags, but actually analyse the MP3. I know it will take longer, but I have 4 version of the same Beatels song and the ID3 tags are different because they came from different CD's. Also, if I change a ID3 tag on a file on the iPod, I would like it to also change the file on my computer.

My 2¢ 8)

One thing I've noticed when iTunes duplicates songs like that, the copy is one second longer than the original(or is it the other way around?). This would make analysing the song more guesswork and not always work.
post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by bauman
Allow boolean smart playlists

Big ditto on that one. I'd settle for functionality similar to the find dialog box.
post #28 of 81
Quote:
FLAC playback. No quality loss, and half the size! Way better than even .SITX

way to rip streaming radio a la RadioLover? Or are there legal issues? I need my MusicOne in Electronica!

There's no way these two will happen. \
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Ra
There's no way these two will happen. \

You seem pretty sure about that. Do you know something we don't?

PS: Nic Pics. Is that Walnut Creek too? 8)
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave

already there. download the iTunes applescripts. the very first one in the menu is called "build CD tray insert". it uses appleworks to make one.
post #31 of 81
OK radio ripping maybe not but why not FLAC? I filled in a iTunes Feedback form, everyone else should and incorporate this list too!
post #32 of 81
Why not FLAC? What about when everyone wanted Ogg? That didn't happen. Apple seems to only want us using AAC now.

And saving radio streams? People have been asking for this for awhile, and it hasn't happened. I'd also assume the RIAA would have a problem with that (not that it matters, really, but w/the iTMS now...).
post #33 of 81
Wow, a lot of really great ideas, apple couldn't pay enough to have market research this good.

8)
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #34 of 81
Ogg is redundant, it is only known because it's open source. FLAC however does the same thing AIFF does in half the space. So yes that would be useful. It's like asking why MP4 AAC? Because it's the same quality in half the space.

Yes wrong robust I agree! Apple has such good products because we are the R&D. 8)
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by pesi
already there. download the iTunes applescripts. the very first one in the menu is called "build CD tray insert". it uses appleworks to make one.

Yes, it will if you have an Avery template in AppleWorks to print to 5931/8931 Avery labels.
Usually template only comes with an Avery CD labelling package, but wouldn't it be quicker (and cheaper) if you could select a "create CD tray insert" button and it automatically formats the available track info to size (12X12) in a TextEdit page for printing to plain paper.
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by MiMac
Yes, it will if you have an Avery template in AppleWorks to print to 5931/8931 Avery labels.
Usually template only comes with an Avery CD labelling package, but wouldn't it be quicker (and cheaper) if you could select a "create CD tray insert" button and it automatically formats the available track info to size (12X12) in a TextEdit page for printing to plain paper.

well, all it is is an applesript. write one to do that if you want.
post #37 of 81
Alarm Clock

Sleep Timer

more ideas from Audion?
post #38 of 81
Does iTunes do live resizing right in G5's!?
post #39 of 81
Don't know if this has been said before, I don't have time to read the whole topic.

They should add radio-stations and a function that itunes on our computers can be radio-stations too.

Would this technical wise be possible?
A cable or adsl connection should be preferable i guess.
And probably big compression, 96Kbps?
What about laws?

I'm a dj/producer and it would be awesome if i could invite someone to listen to me when i'm mixing. Maybe an isight for video too?
Hmm, maybe i'm getting too greedy.

Any ideas?
Shit Happens
Shit Happens
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by drazztikka
Don't know if this has been said before, I don't have time to read the whole topic.

They should add radio-stations and a function that itunes on our computers can be radio-stations too.

Would this technical wise be possible?
A cable or adsl connection should be preferable i guess.
And probably big compression, 96Kbps?
What about laws?

I'm a dj/producer and it would be awesome if i could invite someone to listen to me when i'm mixing. Maybe an isight for video too?
Hmm, maybe i'm getting too greedy.

Any ideas?

first, theres already radio stations.

second, for a brief period, apple had iTunes v4.0 which allowed users to share their libraries with others. Not quite a radio station, but a lot better imo. It was nixed since it was abused excessively. 4.01 forces the sharing to only be on the local network. Its still cool, just not as massively cool.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 5