or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 5

iTunes 5 - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Yes i know there are radio stations.
I'd like to broadcast my mixes so that people can tune in, i'm not talking about sharing, i'm talking about streaming audio. (well a few seconds delay probably)

The listed radio stations that are currently available, that just doesn't do it for me, i want loads of stations. That's the best way to hear and learn something new, in my opinion.
Shit Happens
Shit Happens
post #42 of 81
Any form of broadcasting brings in rights and royalties. I'm not sure what the laws are, but I note that you're in Europe, where negotiating all that stuff is a lot more difficult than it is in the US.

So while it would be nice to do that, it's not going to happen unless you're either willing to set yourself up legally as a broadcaster, track what you play, and pay the required royalties; or broadcast nothing but material you own the rights to.

For either purpose, you'd probably want to set up QT Streaming Server rather than rely on a consumer jukebox application.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #43 of 81
Very sad.

Has anyone figured out how to get around the LAN restriction?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #44 of 81
post #45 of 81
I'd love to see the little arrows in the iTunes Music Store (the ones next to artist and album) make it into the regular Library interface. There are so many times I want to only view one and only one album, which usu. necessitates drilling through the various Browse hierarchies until I get the one I want.
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by drazztikka
Yes i know there are radio stations.
I'd like to broadcast my mixes so that people can tune in, i'm not talking about sharing, i'm talking about streaming audio. (well a few seconds delay probably)

The listed radio stations that are currently available, that just doesn't do it for me, i want loads of stations. That's the best way to hear and learn something new, in my opinion.

There's always QuickTime Streaming Server QTSS, which is quite easy to set up.
post #47 of 81
Any new ideas anyone? These are good. Is iTunes going to be new in Panther or is it on a separate track of development?
post #48 of 81
One thing I'd really like to see is "query by humming".

You can't remember the song's title or the artist performing it but you can humm it. That is sufficient for finding songs using the Frauenhofer institute's (the same guys that invented MP3 and still working on MP4, ACC etc.) new music search engine. It can be found at http://www.musicline.de - in German only, unfortunately.

I think this and other smart searching techniques need to be incorporated especially into the iTMS.
post #49 of 81
I wish that downloaded music came with the lyrics. There could even be a bouncing ball over the words as the song played along. Call me childish...

And I'd like to be able to see cover art on the iPod, but that would require color (and is another topic).
20" iMac G5, 2 GB Ram, OS X 10.4.11, .Mac
20" iMac G5, 2 GB Ram, OS X 10.4.11, .Mac
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
allow crossfades in CD burns?

How could this be implemented without creating a CD with one track, a track that had numerous songs crossfaded. Even if it was done with multiple tracks, it may sound fine with spaces removed, but what about shuffle/random play? Wouldn't that sound awful? A better idea would be to have CD Players and iPods that supported crossfading. I think crossfading is a player feature, not a burner feature.
post #51 of 81
Crossfades don't need to be one track, and yes they do sound weird on shuffle. The only use for them is a dance CD and they are usually precrossfaded. yes it would be cool for CD players and definitely iPods to crossfade! That would get rid of that damn PAUSE on iPods between songs.
post #52 of 81
iTunes is pretty perfect now, but I would like to see more cut and paste features with tracks, It would be nice if you could easily chop up a track into X amount of individual tracks, and it would carry over to burning.

or likewise if you could easily join tracks and have that carry over.

maybe something could be done to iTunes to allow faster ripping speeds? A friend of mine had a 48X cd drive in his athlon based PC, using the full version of MusicMatch he was ripping at 40x, he recently got a 1 ghz powerbook(titanium) it has a 32x reader(if I remember correctly) and it rips at 10x TOPS, granted on his PC he was doing 128 and on his powerbook he was doing 160, you wouldn't imagine it would THAT substantial of a difference.

if there is anyway to make CD ripping faster in iTunes that has to be incorporated.

Maybe the option to allow the user to customize EQ frequencies, I think soundjam could do this(I forget...maybe I'm thinking of soundedit) it was a neat little feature.

that's about all I want, iTunes is pretty much perfect for me, and those things I mentioned aren't even that big of a deal.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #53 of 81
That's a good call! iTunes should cut n paste like QT Pro, but then again I think that would defeat the point of QT Pro. Of course I don't think Apple should make you pay for cut and pasting pieces of MP3 anyway. Just the Exporting. Same with full screen.
post #54 of 81
I would like to see the tiny gap it makes between songs gone.
Computer: Cedric
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
Media: 1800 tunes, 78 photos, 3 movies, no DVD's.
Specs: eMac, 700MHz PowerPC G4, 384MB of RAM, 40GB HD, CD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, Mac OS X 10.1.5/Mac OS 9.2.2
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Dog Almighty
I would like to see the tiny gap it makes between songs gone.

If you set the crossfade to 0, you won't hear the gap, I think. That's how I have it set, and I don't here the gap.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude
If you set the crossfade to 0, you won't hear the gap, I think. That's how I have it set, and I don't here the gap.

I think that worked for a while, but now it just fades into the gap.
post #57 of 81
Quote:
I would like to see the tiny gap between the powerbook screen and the keyboard gone.

fixed it for you
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #58 of 81
1. Another vote for CD-TEXT.

2. Nested playlists (one long column of playlists is unruly).

And my fantasy dream one:

3. A script or function that analyzed the BPM of each track and inputted it into the tag. I mean, I want to hit a button, and then go to bed, and wake up in the morning with all that info in place. If Sound Check can analyze the music, maybe BPM Check could too
post #59 of 81
I don't know if this has already been posted, but what the heck.

If you have a problem where a song is 30 seconds to long at the beginning or end at the start or end, then do as what was posted earlier - Info -> Start/End time.

Then, you take the shotened mp3/mp4 or whatever, and convert it again into the same format. This may lose some quality, but it is minimal. Atfer this, the newly converted version has the annoying 30 second bit taken out.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #60 of 81
A fix to why some of my mp3's show up with chinese characters in iTunes and on my iPod, even though every other applications I check the mp3's with show english characters.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
A fix to why some of my mp3's show up with chinese characters in iTunes and on my iPod, even though every other applications I check the mp3's with show english characters.

Have you tried repairing the tags using the command under the Advanced menu?
post #62 of 81
I'd also like more options for iPod music syncing.
post #63 of 81
Quote:

What kind of options could that be?
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by Defiant

Update songs of specific genres, artists, albums, BPM , etc.
post #65 of 81
Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Here's one:
Let me choose the playlists I wish to automatically sync, but don't prohibit me from manually adding/removing files.

I find it incredibly frustrating that auto-sync mode is an all-or-nothing affair. I'm sure this has something to do with Apple's anti-piracy efforts, but I believe there's a (better) middle ground.

dglow
post #66 of 81
I'd still like support for FLAC in iTunes and especially on the iPod. Is there a way to enable it in iTunes at least?
post #67 of 81
ability to organize songs by exclamation point (when they're missing) so I can take em out of my library asap.

ability to physically cut/edit my MP3s. Some CDS I rip (like Lord of the Rings: FOTR) have a track that is minutes long at the end and then actually completely mess up...

ability to THROW AWAY unwanted tracks. Somehow, when I press delet on a track, I dont get the dialog box if I want to supress from playlist or physically trash the file. I hate right clicking, selecting "show file" etc.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #68 of 81
Playlist as a criterion.

i.e. "song is not included in playlist 'Disco'"
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by CubeDude

This trick can sometimes help smooth out the gap between two songs (where the first is supposed to play straight through into the next), but the join between the songs will still be uneven, even if the gap is less obvious. Playing around with crossfade won't provide the same benefits that a true iTunes gapless playback capability would bring.

iTunes does do true gapless playback if you rip tracks in AIFF format, but special extensions of the AAC format must used both during ripping and playback to get gapless playback with AAC files.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by shetline
iTunes does do true gapless playback if you rip tracks in AIFF format, but special extensions of the AAC format must used both during ripping and playback to get gapless playback with AAC files.

So the AAC format itself contains provisions for gapless playback? Wow. May I ask where you learned about this?

I still want gapless MP3 playback, though. Freeware winamp plugins do this on my peecee, so I find it surprising and, quite frankly, embarassing that iTunes fails so spectacularly here.

Yo, Apple: Whazzup wid dat??!
post #71 of 81
OK, here are my rants:

Is it just me, or is the volume slider linear (for dB levels). Why wouldn't they make it logarithmic... that's how we hear sounds.

It's extremely poorly threaded... have you ever tried editing track info (in the get info window) while ripping CDs?

Speaking of which, every time you are editing track info directly in the library (by clicking on the name and highlighting it), it tears the focus away from the input every time a new song is added to the library.

All of these are such little bugs that have been around for quite some time. They should have been fixed long ago.

Kappa Rho Alpha Theta Zeta Omega Nu Epsilon
post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by dglow
So the AAC format itself contains provisions for gapless playback? Wow. May I ask where you learned about this?

What AAC allows is arbitrary metadata... and you can use extra metadata to get gapless playback. I don't know if a particular format for adding this metadata has been accepted yet or not, but with Apple being such a major proponent for AAC, I imagine they could push for a standard if they had the desire to.

http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonb...um=15&topic=47
http://faac.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=AAC

Pure speculation: I imagine that one way to get gapless playback would be to add metadata with a few K (5-10K) might do, of uncompressed PCM data representing the first and last fractions of a second of a track, and a few bytes of data that specify how to splice this PCM data into the data stream produced by compressed audio data, overlaying and replacing the lead-in and lead-out gaps that are created by the encoding process.
post #73 of 81
one huge annoyance for me was when i plug in the ipod, it would bring the update dealie in iTunes to the foreground (pulling focus away from the library). That part was understandable (though I'd've like to be able to not have it focus, and still update the ipod). But, what was really annoying was, when it did it I would hit command-L (to bring focus to the current song, therefore putting me back into the library). When the ipod update completed, it would rip me out of the library view and push me right back into the ipod view. used to really piss me off.

as for features, i would like for iTunes to have some kind of icecast streaming possibilities. DAAP was really cool, while it lasted, but icecast would be better. Then I'd be able to listen in at work on a peecee, or anywhere for that matter, since icecast clients already exist (for nearly all platforms). I don't know a huge amount about icecast, but i think it allows the client to selectively choose tracks, which would be preferable. But I'm fairly certain that it allows streaming of a continuous type. So, in theory, itunes could icecast stream its current playing music, which would be sufficient. It would also be useful, or so i would think, for the limited purpose of synch'ing music. My roomies in college and I would have a lot of the same music, often playing unharmoniously, and it would be cool if they could all synch into a stream I (or someone else) sourced, and the tunes could play through all our speakers simultaneously. I was also thinking that such a thing could be setup in offices as a PA replacement/alternative. At work when ur not at ur desk, and someone tries to call you, they'll often then hit into the PA and say "so and so, please call xxxx." the PA speakers are in odd places though, and I would almost never hear them. Everyone has speakers on their comp though, and this streaming thing could be useful there (well, not at my job actually, since we dont have any macs, but in theory for a mac-based office).

i also think it would be really keen if itunes had some kind of user controlled manner to select the next 'random' track. itunes isn't random enough for me. but if they allowed an applescript, or a shell script, to access the list of songs, and meta data, i could make it select songs that haven't been played in a while. or i could make a version that would tend to stay within a genre, or all kinds of possibilities.
post #74 of 81
Quote:
ability to organize songs by exclamation point (when they're missing) so I can take em out of my library asap.

Yes!

Quote:
Playlist as a criterion.

i.e. "song is not included in playlist 'Disco'"

post #75 of 81
My iTunes/iPod wishlist...

iPod Wishlist..

1. I'd really like the 'On The Go' playlist to be bidirectional. Its great to create a playlist on the run but I'd like it to show up in iTunes when I sync the iPod..

2. Sometimes the contrast needs adjusting and it'd be really nice to be able to do so while on the run and not have to navigate a menu system. Maybe some kind of hotkey combination...

3. I absolutely hate the new buttons on the iPod. I just don't like them. They don't seem responsive, I've owned THREE iPods using this new button feature and all have been slow & sometimes even non-responsive..I just do not like them...not at all...not one bit...seriously.

iTunes Wishlist...

1. I use Synergy to display album covers (and actually downloads new ones into a folder). I'd really like iTunes to do this and automatically upload and add the album covers. I have 16,000 songs and only the ones I've bought since they launched iTunes 4.x...have I manually added Album Covers. A little automation in this process would have been nice..

2. Since I have DRM with iTunes and have three Mac's (the limit allowed in all)..it'd be nice to sync the iTunes libraries and playlists across all three computers..
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally posted by chromos
There's always QuickTime Streaming Server QTSS, which is quite easy to set up.

Sorry i must be dumb or something because i've tried to setup QTSS and its so uneccesarily complicated its frustrating.

Anyhoo BRING ON THE IPOD PERIPHERALS!
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #77 of 81
On the go playlists aren't bidirectional? That's ridiculous! The whole point is that while you're On the Go, you find out what you like, and then later back home you can use that same playlist, or that would make sense at least.
post #78 of 81
Probably someone already mentioned this but...

C D T E X T

pretty please?
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? _(W.C. Fields)
post #79 of 81
How about that really annoying bug where you insert a blank CD, and then as soon as the door shuts, you click burn... but the computer hasn't recognized the CD as a blank yet, so it spits it back out, and then you have to reinsert it. This drives me bonkers whenever I'm trying to burn CDs... it should just wait 2 more seconds to check if it already has a blank.
post #80 of 81
What I want in iTunes is better dock icon feedback. When burning a CD i want a burning indicator and a progress bar. When ripping, the same. Hell, it could display Album Art in the icon while playing tracks.

Essentially, when running in the background, I'll now have a lot of important feedback.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 5