or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Personal Attacks: Again

Personal Attacks: Again - Page 2  

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Spart
Um, what? Asking for pictures of something, and asking where to steal it are two very different things.

Don't rag on Brad, he's not the admin that I see as enforcing a double standard.

Actually, look closer at some of the threads we closed. Brad and I already had a talk about it, mutually recognizing the situation as such
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerWoods99
The mods have their own set of rules it seems, which tollerate harassment of other members. You only needed to see LowCash's lovely moderations he personally edited into my post simply asking for help when my hard drive f-ed up.

And since Spart brought this comment back to the forefront, it reminds me that I never addressed it.

Frst off, everyone except TW99 got the joke I made in the thread - or at least took the joke. That escapade of TW99's has become an AI legend, whether you like it or not. Lighten up. For historical sake, the comment that was made was...

<insert witty comment about his computer going into a coma like that girl in NYC>

Then TW99 conjures up his Class A's and says he is going to report it to an administrator. I make another wise-ass comment saying that I would be more than happy to accept his report, as the Genius Bar is my forum. Since he wasn't aware I was a moderator, I edited his post with two distinctive changes in an attempt to remind him, with a bit of jest...

The first was the addition of the word "Sir prior to my alias "LoCash". The second was carefully placed in brackets signifying an editorial comment. The finished edit looked like this...

Quote:
Sir LoCash- Your comment will be forwarded to an admin. I dont appreciate it and the forum doesnt need it. [which means they find it amusing]

Not a personal attack, and it was really more of an addition than an edit. I kept it all very obvious as to what I added. Paul still decided to report my original post explaining that he got the joke, but questioning it. No action was taken because... some of you people need to lighten up... but it is important to note that it is completely OK to call mods/admins when you think we're out of line.

It wasn't a personal attack, and it wasn't an offensive edit. I will at least applaud Paul on going through the proper methods of letting a moderator/administrator know that he questions their actions. Some people still have some problems with this.

The thread that is in dispute may be found here.
post #43 of 65
That's a person attack if I ever saw one.......stop bending the rules for yourself.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #44 of 65

It plays for you Tiger.
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Longhorn

It plays for you Tiger.

Thank you.
post #46 of 65
This going back and forth between mods/admins and members needs to stop. In general, the mods/admins are on track with their moderations and should not questioned on their judgment. Though, not to start any trouble, it was a little much when LoCash was doing those grammar corrections. Anyways, everyone move one. >>>>>>
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Man 020581
This going back and forth between mods/admins and members needs to stop. In general, the mods/admins are on track with their moderations and should not questioned on their judgment. Though, not to start any trouble, it was a little much when LoCash was doing those grammar corrections. Anyways, everyone move one. >>>>>>

:: grin ::

I like to think of it as attempting to help improve "speech" on the net one post at a time. By the way, ast3r3x, please see me after class
post #48 of 65
Quote:
...and if you don't keep it civil (especially in a more mild area of the forums like GB)they'll come down on you, hard.

Sorry to bite back but it angers me when people play the innocent victim and it's so obvious that they are hardly innocent and are victimized about as much as the fat chick in the McDonald's lawsuit...

oh spart, you have such a short memory...

from that classic thread, "Safari - Tabs - Done!"

Quote:
kim kap sol, you're an idiot. I suppose you have a perfect and flawless solution.

'course, i am not blame-free either, as i posted the following (mind you after reading TWO YEARS of back issue penny-arcade.com, so i was just working insults into anything that day...)

Quote:
Originally posted by rok
oh please. kim kap sol's comments are outnumbered roughly 7 million to one on this thread, so he's hardly harping on this issue like others around here. so shut yer pie hole. what's that? you know that hole? the one you eat pie with? yeah, that one. shut it. :P

which apparently in your world warranted the following...

Quote:
If you're not willing to come to this thread and read through it, then make some intelligent commentary, then you probably shouldn't come at all.

I'm not going to shut up on your whim. Now I can see why JLL told you to kill yourself. Please, do. By all means. Die. Slowly.

i was going to report this to amorph, because i can take the insult slinging on internet boards and such, but when you start issuing statements that sound like friggin' DEATH THREATS, you have, in my opinion, crossed a line. in the end, i decided to let it go, as i figured you'd probably just shut up once i stopped replying to you, and you did, for a while.

so do NOT get all holier-than-thou and act like you can judge from some moral high-ground around here.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #49 of 65
If I ran this party on wheels that is AppleInsider, I'd ban ALL you goons, just on principle. Some harder than others, of course.

j/k...

Sorta...
post #50 of 65
I have no problem naming names. Recently I was the target of a troll. I turned to the moderators and instead of helping, alcimedes gladly joined in the ripfest. Way to be mature.
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCash
Yes, it's a double standard. Have you noticed all the threads we close in the Mac OS X forum where someone is asking about Panther? Yet, brad maintains his very own thread devoted to taking requests and providing screenshots of whatever you kind folks might like.

Double standard? Hardly. I think you're a mite confused on something.

The spreading of information *about* software is fine. The same goes for hardware. There's no policy against that. Heck, AppleInsider wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the spreading of NDA-type information. What's *not* okay is the actual spreading of piracy and assisting other users in piracy of the software itself. Note what the posting guidelines say:
Quote:
11. Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support for pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same mannar as posts that directly ask for pirated software.

Plain and simple.

It's doesn't just apply to me and Panther; the same applies to everyone. I have only described Panther itself and shown images of it. I have not assisted anyone in obtaining, installing, or troubleshooting Panther. Just the same, requests for pirated copies of Adobe Photoshop would get shot down just as quick, but threads posting information and images of the new betas are perfectly fine.

As for the rest of you with complaints, if the moderators aren't doing their jobs, it is well within your abilities to go over their heads and contact one of the administrators. If we aren't told what's going on, we won't know to do anything about it. There's a complete list of us on the front page where it says "forum leaders". Note, however, that Jonathan, Amorph, and I are the only ones likely to respond.
post #52 of 65
brad, we totally talked about this one day. Don't make me go back and find some threads that were riding the thin line between the argument you just made...
post #53 of 65
Jukebox, you really want me to post what all you said?
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
Jukebox, you really want me to post what all you said?

I can summarize:

1) Someone made a rude remark to me, calling me a troll.
2) I told the person that he was the troll. I also told him that his handle, "Messiah" was offensive. Which it is.
3) Since the offensive handle name wasn't "mac related", everybody starts blowing a nut.
4) I thought better of responding at all. I asked the moderators to come in and remove the posts.
5) alcimedes goes out of his way to be a jerk, telling me I was wrong (when all I did was state that Apples 17" monitor is more expensive than other 17" competitors), and continues to rag on me for like 5 paragraphs. He Sends me this picture: http://www.streetgangs.com/homies/images/crybaby.jpg,
which is very funny but hardly an appropriate response for a user having a hard time with another memeber.

I hardly see how I somehow deserved to be attacked by alchemedes when I was not even the instigator. I don't actually care. I just don't like getting harassing emails from someone thats supposed to be a moderator. I think alchemedes is the one that wants to blow the whole thing out of proportion. But lets call a turd a turd, alchemedes shouldn't be a moderator if he can't rise above the level of immature jerk.
post #55 of 65
Quote:
alcimedes
You can edit your own posts if you feel like it. I'm not going to delete posts because of stupid fighting.

Quote:
Jukebox Hero
Well, no, I can't edit my posts. They don't get out of the quoted parts. And I can't delete.

What about posts with name calling? I was called a troll. Please remove that post.

Quote:
alcimedes
you were called a troll because you were trolling. get over it.

just think before you post next time, do your research, or get ready to have someone throw your statements back in your face.

a nice little apology to those you started this with, along with a well phrased request for them to clean up their own posts (after you've cleaned yours) is probably your best bet.

i see no reason to edit or delete anyone's posts in that thread. if you disagree with that, please feel free to PM Jonathan or Brad.

Quote:
Jukebox Hero
Hardly fair. If someone accidentally makes a mistake then they deserve to get called a troll?

Quote:
alcimedes
get over it. you posted stuff that was wrong, and managed to do it in a confrontational way. you were called on it, and people showed you that you were wrong.

blah blah, back and forth. it was a stupid argument to get in in the first place, and you just helped carry it further. granted i'm not saying the other two were any better, but at least they're not bitching to me to edit out your posts because they don't like them.

suck it up big boy, the world ain't fair, and message boards are the last place you should run to for sweet nothings whispered in your ear.

let it go, move on, and no one will care in a day. keep whining and you'll earn a nice reputation for yourself.

Quote:
Jukebox Hero
You're being a jerk
post #56 of 65
So you have no authority to say people can't be completely rude and ubnoxious since you are yourself.
post #57 of 65
I promise if I ever find this alchemedes guy, I'll have a talk with him.
post #58 of 65
We'll beat alchemedes up so much, his own mother won't recognize him!
post #59 of 65
Huh, and I always thought the Swiss and the Canadians were known for their neutrality.
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
"Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by agent302
Huh, and I always thought the Swiss and the Canadians were known for their neutrality.

This board taught me different...
post #61 of 65
They have a saying somewhere in Europe "The forest will answer like you shout there", essentially that. Sorry can't make it sound more correct English 2 am.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
This board taught me different...

C'mon Placebo. You, if anyone, are the poster child for this board's humor and forgiveness.

A: You started as pretty much a spammer.
You were banned.

B: You came back as a shell of your former spamming self.
You were banned.

C: You came back as a double-agent to talk to yourself.
You were...well, I don't know what happened exactly to Zed, but he was just as annoying as os10geek.

NOW: You are a valued member of the AI community.

I'm sure there was a lot of pleading and/or explaining on your part...and a bit of support from other members who will remain nameless. Anyways, you're here and pushing 800 posts...

Life is good....no?
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
oh spart, you have such a short memory...

[snip]

i was going to report this to amorph, because i can take the insult slinging on internet boards and such, but when you start issuing statements that sound like friggin' DEATH THREATS, you have, in my opinion, crossed a line. in the end, i decided to let it go, as i figured you'd probably just shut up once i stopped replying to you, and you did, for a while.

I see you are absolutely excellent at taking things out of context, not including even a link to the thread or some of our PMs. Here's the world's tiniest award! --> .

I was off base for saying that. I was a little pissed off and I've a short temper and zero tolerance for various acts of stupidity. I apologized for it eventually, and what I said probably should have been edited. That said, I was hoping you'd have a lick of humor. My hope was for naught.

Quote:
Originally posted by rok
so do NOT get all holier-than-thou and act like you can judge from some moral high-ground around here.

Oh **** you. This is exactly the kind of response that makes me want to go out and kill people with the SKS and the .44. I am not saying this from a ****ing moral high-ground. I am saying this from experience. Everyone makes mistakes, and I don't shy away from giving warning. I feel it's common courtesy to warn others against things I've hit, and hit hard.

And by the way, 'till your little ass gains some authority around here, don't tell me the **** what to do. That's the simplest way to piss me off.

Now *** you and good night.
post #64 of 65
Why isn't this locked by now? I don't think this helping except for just fueling the fire.
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Man 020581
Why isn't this locked by now?

That's the best question I've seen asked in this thread.

At this point, I think the best thing to do is kill the momentum we've got going here and give everyone a chance to cool off. I see plenty of people here who I know are capable of far better behavior, so the thread is clearly part of the problem.

Locked.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Personal Attacks: Again