or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iTunes Music Store Has Competition

iTunes Music Store Has Competition - Page 4

post #121 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by highfalutintodd
No, the real worry, as always, is the beast from Redmond. Notice that MS has been strangely quiet up until last week when Bill finally mused that Microsoft might want to tie a music download service into Windows Media Player?

For third parties to use.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #122 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
For third parties to use.

We'll see. Online music will be a multi-billion dollar/year business soon. I can't see MS not wanting the lions share of that for themselves. I stopped giving MS the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.
--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
--
post #123 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
This still begs the question about what will Apple do when REAL competition begins this Winter?

Well, they've already managed to create a quality music service, so the technology is in place. As with so many things in the world, it's going to come down to Apple getting the word out to as many Windows users as possible. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Someone on these boards once mentioned having CDs with iTunes for both Mac and Windows printed up and waiting for customers at CompUSA. Great idea, but extend that. Have them at Best Buy and Target as well. Have them at Barnes and Noble bookstores and Cinemark movie theaters. Put out print ads, radio ads, flyers, banners, television commercials, movie trailers, everything! I've never understood why Apple doesn't use some of that $4+ Billion horde they've got to advertise the living crap out of their products. Dell has a flyer in our local paper (Nashville Tennessean) every damn week. I lived in Dallas until recently, and the only way to realize that that city had TWO Apple retail stores was to actually walk by one! Apple, ADVERTISE!!!!!
--
--
post #124 of 163
Hell, they should put them in cereal boxes, give them out at Blockbuster video, and spam the mailboxes of America a la AOL!
post #125 of 163
USA Today has an article on the first week of BuyMusic. There's been some clitches. Here's the last sentence referring to sales in the first week:

Quote:
BuyMusic won't release figures, but "it's not millions," Blum says.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #126 of 163
Quote:
BuyMusic won't release figures, but "it's not millions," Blum says.

Ooooh, it stings!

Um...holy moly, look at this week's iTunesMS "just added..."
I can change my sig again!
post #127 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
Ooooh, it stings!

Um...holy moly, look at this week's iTunesMS "just added..."

wow, a lot added but suspiciously some of it has been on the iTMS for a while now.... like the Jayhawks.

They added Bernie Williams new album!!! Cool... i think I may make my first iTMS purchase now
post #128 of 163
As in that Bernie Williams? Haha, WTF?? Hey, it's not bad!
post #129 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
As in that Bernie Williams? Haha, WTF?? Hey, it's not bad!

Yea, he's a very impressive classically trained guitarist. He finally put together an album after many years of urging. And he played a benefit show the night before the all-star game at the Chicago House of Blues.

A few years ago there was a cool yankees commercial with the team jamming.... they sounded pretty good. Williams was by far the best.

Sigh, I wish I had the discipline and talent to be that great at not only baseball but guitar too.
post #130 of 163
http://news.com.com/2100-1027-5056162.html?tag=nl
post #131 of 163
MacDirectory story:

Apple Beats BuyMusic.com Despite Imitations

I love this:

Quote:
When USA Today attempted to get an answer/solution to the unplayable tracks from BuyMusic.com, they received an email that said, "We are unable to provide technical assistance after you have downloaded the music... to your primary computer. In addition, we are unable to credit you back for failed or damaged copies once you have successfully downloaded the music."

Amazing.
post #132 of 163
yeah, sounds like iTunes is spanking the PC versions of music stores pretty hard.
post #133 of 163
I'm so happy for Bernie. Now he'll have someting to fall back on when he retires from baseball with that $200 million or so in the bank. The album is a good first time out.
post #134 of 163
Did anyone else comment on this:

From macnn.com
Quote:
Jody Whitesides, a musician, wrote to us about BuyMusic.com's acquisition of content:

I'm an artist that is about to be brought to the Apple iTunes Music Store. Of course I recently heard about BuyMusic so I decided to point my Mac browser at it (with Javascript turned off you can see the site).

I did a search for one of my old CD's that will be going onto iTunes and It turns out my CD was there on BuyMusic.com. As were the CD's of several other bands that I'm friends with. All of whom were not contacted about being placed for sale there.

Here's what I've deduced... BuyMusic.com (which I will refer to as BM) got their "vast" music library of 300,000 plus songs from a company called the Orchard. The Orchard is a distribution company that has consistently shafted artists by not paying them for CD's sold nor returning unsold CD's or canceling contracts. So, without the express consent of what is likely all of the Orchards catalog, BM has put it up for sale at the bargain price of $.79 a song.

So now, they can tout they're selling tracks at $.79 and they can say they have a library of music of over 300,000 songs. But what they don't tell you is that it comes from musicians/bands that were not asked for permission, and who will likely not see a penny of any sale made through BM. By their very own site policy they are committing copyright infringement. They have done this to lure PC/windows users to their site in hopes to sell the few major label aquired songs they do have, at a price that is much higher than Apple's $.99.

I'm currently looking into legal means to have my music removed from their site and strongly encourage users to not browse BM's site nor purchase from it.

It seems that rentshittyqualitymusic.com is also engaged in IP thievery. Hahahahaha. That's just too funny for words. I hope this gets some press.
post #135 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
It seems that rentshittyqualitymusic.com is also engaged in IP thievery. Hahahahaha. That's just too funny for words. I hope this gets some press.

Perfect! Predictable, too.

If you want to find a traitor, look for the one flinging accusations of treason every which way. If you want to find a thief, look for someone accusing everyone else of thievery.

Blum has been less than honest about his service from the get-go, so I hope it goes down in flames.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #136 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by torifile
Did anyone else comment on this:

From macnn.com

BM just went from dead to even more dead.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #137 of 163
wow...i hope all this stuff gets out to the press...it makes me mad/sad to see such deceitfulness and dishonesty in this service

i feel bad for users who downloaded songs and got screwed because they couldn't do whatever with them...i bet many of them didn't know better
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
post #138 of 163
SortOfRentMusicForOneParticularComputerOnly.com... It just keeps getting better:

http://www.blogcritics.org/archives/.../27/002033.php
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #139 of 163
Daaaaaaaamn

What a terrible terrible service

I'm really amazed, I knew it could never compete with iTMS, but this is just ridiculous, I never knew it could be THAT bad.

the sad thing is, all these articles, personal reports, legal hoopla..etc. could easily be downplayed and not publicized as much as they should be, and buymusic.com could still gain a very large rep amongst the seas of PCs(rhyme

at least until windows iTMS
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #140 of 163

Quote:
From the BLOG report
This had been in the trackback on the original post on Scriptygoddess but it was important enough to be brought into this post. Privacy policies are something I don't usually pay attention to but really should, but what buymusic.com has in theirs is just wrong. Jenett linked to Stereoboy's post where he pointed out this little tidbit from their policy: "we may disclose, sell, trade, or rent your Personally Identifiable Information to others without your consent". Not cool.

daaaaaaammn. from dead, to deader...to so dead, the (evil)nutrients are already back in the earth and causing other things to die
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #141 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robust
the sad thing is, all these articles, personal reports, legal hoopla..etc. could easily be downplayed and not publicized as much as they should be, and buymusic.com could still gain a very large rep amongst the seas of PCs(rhyme

That's how it works on the PC side. On the Mac side anyone can post something on his own website. It will then be quoted on MacNN, picked up by CNet who will be quoted on MacCentral and so on until Apple's stock price falls
JLL

JLL

post #142 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
That's how it works on the PC side. On the Mac side anyone can post something on his own website. It will then be quoted on MacNN, picked up by CNet who will be quoted on MacCentral and so on until Apple's stock price falls

I was talking to a PC user about macs not long ago and he mentioned something to the effect of "this one pc magazine that I used to really enjoy reading repeatedly said that macOS(9) is by FAR the least stable OS around"

Sad thing is, you get that type of stuff all the time around ignorant PC users. granted 9 wasn't no 8.6 in terms of stabilty, it certainly beat the snot out of windows 98.

this guy later went on to praise OS X, saying something like "finally apple can compete because of UNIX"

oh well. \
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #143 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrong Robust
Sad thing is, you get that type of stuff all the time around ignorant PC users. granted 9 wasn't no 8.6 in terms of stabilty, it certainly beat the snot out of windows 98.

I don't know if I would call him ignorant. Many small Mac problems just have a tendency to get blown way out of proportions in the press - probably because Mac users often complain very loudly when the encounter problems.
JLL

JLL

post #144 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
probably because Mac users often complain very loudly when the encounter problems.

orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #145 of 163
Damn, I just tried to load the site with omni(I forgot to change the browser id to IE) and the page loaded, then a little pop-up appeared saying "loading macuser.aspx"

that's low

I knew they prevented mac users from viewing the site, but I dislike how they have their file labeled as such, it's like "mac user, turn him away"
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #146 of 163
This gets worse and worse for them, it seems. Last week, I was just checking on Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head" and it was 99¢ a song with some obscene DRM restrictions. Tonight, I was showing my fiancee the site and as an example I went back to it. Now the songs are $1.09! And the same absolutely insane restrictions (1 computer, 3 transfers and 3 burns)! Gotta love it. Go iTMS! Apple, get the damn thing windows ready, already!
post #147 of 163
Their traffic is falling fast. Emusic.com have been beating them consistently since the initial hype wore off....or buymusic's traffic drastically dropped as soon they blocked mac users from going to the site.

If the image doesn't show up, go here.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...ymusic.com#top
post #148 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan
Their traffic is falling fast. Emusic.com have been beating them consistently since the initial hype wore off....or buymusic's traffic drastically dropped as soon they blocked mac users from going to the site.

Haha, probably the later...funny enough also:

post #149 of 163
Is it really fair to compare buymusic.com to apple.com? No. It'd be like comparing buymusic.com to applemusic.com...completely irrelevant.
post #150 of 163
What's actually interesting about that Alexa clocker is that their screenshot of Buymusic.com shows the "IE Required" screen.
post #151 of 163
I don't know if any of you read www.penny-arcade.com but in Tycho's post today he used Buymusic and excellent in the same sentence

I just sent him an email with some links and info informing him of what a crap service they are. We gotta keep people informed
post #152 of 163
MS beats Apple to the punch in Europe.

http://www.macminute.com/2003/08/13/msod2
post #153 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by frawgz

My thoughts exactly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3148327.stm

Unfortunately although the business model for Itunes and downloadable music was an innovative idea it is too easy to copy. It was always only going to be a matter of time ...
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
I'm old enough to remember when taping was killing the music industry ... computers just make piracy damned expensive.
post #154 of 163
Smart move by MS. How many Europeans (and anyone else outside the US) are going to go with iTMS when it has yet to premiere for Windows, nevermind go outside the US. Granted, it's pretty clear that the record companies are trying to get a million players in the market so that no one has clout over them, and Apple is simply a pawn in this scheme.
post #155 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by frawgz

Which wasn't hard to do since OD2 has existed for quite a while (and before iTMS). The only difference is that OD2 now offers the music through WMP9.

Wonder what limitations there are. The pricing is like Buymusic.com: Some songs at 75p, some at 99p and some at £1.19.
JLL

JLL

post #156 of 163
No matter where the music service is provided from (Apple, MS, BM.com, OD2)...... I still am not a huge fan on this

When you see you are paying to download the entire album the cost is around 60-70% of the physical CD you find from the stoe (in US)

They come with REAL package, REAL CD cover, REAL lyric print outs...sometimes even FREE DVD and other freebies. And better part. No degradtion.

I personally don't like the download thing that much. That means those record labels are getting more & more pure profits.
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #157 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis
I personally don't like the download thing that much. That means those record labels are getting more & more pure profits.

When slicing up the price on a CD here in Denmark, it's the dealer who earns the money (a 40% margin).
JLL

JLL

post #158 of 163
In gerneral 70% of the music CDs sold here in western Canada are around $14-$17 CDN. The rest are around $20-$25

1 CDN = 4.8 DDK

HMV is the most expensive. I remember when I bought Sarah Brightman's latest album Harem (Limited Edition with a bonus DVD) from A&B Sound (The cheapest in Vancouver) for $16.95. In HMV. That same CD is selling for f*cking $30 bucks!

HMV has closed two stores in Vancouver since last year. I think they deserve it.

If iTMS is released for the Canadian market the price of the songs better be 99 cents CDN not US. If it's in 99 cent US that's 1.4 CDN per song. After 10 songs of download the total is already 14 bucks. That's the SAME price of a real music CD from the store with print, bonus stuff, blah blah blah.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #159 of 163
dlb post
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #160 of 163
I know I'm resurrecting a rather old thread but there is no need to start a new one for this.

The Toronto Star had an article today about a service call Puretracks that is essentially a Canadian version BuyMusic.com's entrance in the U.S.

Linky: http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Content...l=969048863851

From the article:

"A library of more than 250,000 high-quality, digital music files for download. No spyware. No malicious decoy files. No browser-hijacking advertisements. A host of innovative features that even iTunes can't match. And pricing similar to iTunes but with greater flexibility, recognizing that not all music was created equal"

A previous article in The Star already stated that the service would in fact be WMA so I can only assume it will have the same restrictions as BuyMusic.

Linky to first article: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851

There is some quality rubbish in the original article. Something along the lines of, "Unlike iTunes, Puretracks sells Windows Media Audio files a much smaller, data-filtered version of the original CD audio that average about 4 MB and take roughly 20 seconds to download"

Huh?

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this service and what 'innovative' features it'll have.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iTunes Music Store Has Competition