or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iTunes Music Store Has Competition

iTunes Music Store Has Competition - Page 5

post #161 of 163
Quote:
Originally posted by InactionMan

There is some quality rubbish in the original article. Something along the lines of, "Unlike iTunes, Puretracks sells Windows Media Audio files a much smaller, data-filtered version of the original CD audio that average about 4 MB and take roughly 20 seconds to download"

Huh?

I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this service and what 'innovative' features it'll have.

That sounds like presscopy to me. They forgot to add "lower quality" "DRM laced" and not really yours, to the description. For god's sake, the "20 seconds to download" BS has nothing to do with the format of the file. Sheesh.
post #162 of 163
I give um 3 months till they are out of business. Too complex, too crappy, too PC. (As usual)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #163 of 163
I don't know about the technology or innovations, but it is "Time"ly that this article just came out.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...485739,00.html

To me the most telling part is....

"It's not a way to make a lot of money," acknowledges Jobs. No, it's a way to help sell iPods. Apple says sales of the music-storing, high-profit-margin palm-size gadgets almost quadrupled between the quarters before and after iTunes' launch. Apple's approach borrows from a proven business tactic. "Westinghouse created radio shows to sell radios," notes Lee Black, an analyst with Jupiter Research. AOL Music takes a cut from songs sold through MusicNet, but its ka-ching comes from the 16 million visitors it delivers each month to advertisers like Coca-Cola.

So just music delivery is not the economic driving force for now. The music industry is taking too big a cut.

So for any new company to enter the iTMS business, it will need to sell ads like crazy (unlike Apple) or it will have to be a record company itself or it will have to be after "presence" more than the income from the downloads themselves, in other words, Microsoft.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iTunes Music Store Has Competition